Unbelieveable...bought a ps3 at wal-mart and its obviously used and broken!!!!!!

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

darrynz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 darrynz
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I just bought a ps3 80g at the local wal-mart.....before i even plugged it in for the first time i noticed that the cover was scratched up and the lid was shifted over a half an inch.

so before i did anything else i put it back in the box and brought it back to wal-mart. not surprisingly they implied that i had bought a new one and switched it out for an old one.

so after some scumbag that makes 6 bucks an hour opened it with a paperclip and screwdriver, the manager on duty acted like a real douche and refused to accept the return. i bought it brand new and it was obviously used! they said they could tell by the serial number that it was an old model from 2007. i was soooo mad. so i brought this 400 dollar piece of trash back and plugged it in for the first time....it doesnt work.it says it can't recognize the hard disk. i honestly felt like crying. i'm not rolling in money so to get boned for 400 dollars by a bunch of minimum wage losers was painful.

the moral of the story is that wal-mart in plymouth mass is super sketchy and my advice to anybody who plans on purchasing anything worth more that 20 bucks is that they should open it in the store...make a big production of it and be a pain in the ass, but whatever you do, don't get burned like i did. my only option is to try to have sony fix it, but realistically they'll probably charge me and the whole point of paying 400 bucks was that i didnt want a used 07 model. that cost me extra money to get working.

p.s. i know i could replace the hard drive myself but why should i have to?????????

Truth-slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Truth-slayer
Member since 2004 • 2510 Posts
If it didnt work when you tried to play it try to take it back again. And if not call Sony.
Expo_Smacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#3 Expo_Smacko
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
Just call home office. Complain, and you will get a new one free and a fruit basket for your trouble.
Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

Well I was playing Socom and this guy said that his broke so he went and bought a new one and put his old one (that is broken) in there and took it back and acted like he didn't want it.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

They sold you one that's apparently been in the back, stocked since launch, not used.

Go to Wal Mart's website and look for a number you can call about this.

Otherwise, I'd suggest legal action.

Expo_Smacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Expo_Smacko

They sold you one that's apparently been in the back, stocked since launch, not used.

Scianix-Black
He probably got a system that was changed, and returned without the people even knowing. Which sucks.. Like I said call home office and complain.
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 magitekk
Member since 2009 • 3959 Posts
I think the real moral to this story is: shop at target
soyt_llusala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 soyt_llusala
Member since 2004 • 289 Posts
You should have tested/checked the unit at the store before purchasing. It is our right as a customer. That is sad but I think it's your fault.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#9 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
Just take the damn thing back and tell them it was broken. I'm 100% sure they'll give you an exchange......
darrynz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 darrynz
let me clarify.... the ps3 was in a sealed box, maybe i should have opened it and i wont make that mistake again..... also this thing isnt just old and sitting on the shelf.... someone changed the serial # sticker off it and its covered in scratches.
Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Diddies
You should have tested/checked the unit at the store before purchasing. It is our right as a customer. That is sad but I think it's your fault.soyt_llusala
Who does that? Most of the time when people buy stuff especially new expect to go home and use it. No one opens it right there in the store.
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Scianix-Black
[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

Expo_Smacko

He probably got a system that was changed, and returned without the people even knowing. Which sucks.. Like I said call home office and complain.

Oh yeah.. I don't understand how they could look at his barcode and conclude that he was lying when the person before him returned the exact same PS3.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Diddies
Just take the damn thing back and tell them it was broken. I'm 100% sure they'll give you an exchange......hillelslovak
You need to read!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Just take the system back to the store, go to customer service/returns, and they'll see that the barcode on the box matches the receipt, they'll exchange. I had the exact thing happen when I bought a PS2 at my local Walmart 2 years ago. And since they work at Walmart, they're probably not that smart, so you'll have to be real forceful, even with the manager,a nd demand the regional manager's number if need be. They will exchange with a certain amount of persuasion. I got the broken Ps2 with a hole in it and the barcode scratched off. If they scanned the barcode on the box and it matches the barcode on the receipt, they really should accept the refund......
Expo_Smacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Expo_Smacko
[QUOTE="Expo_Smacko"][QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

Scianix-Black

Oh yeah.. I don't understand how they could look at his barcode and conclude that he was lying when the person before him returned the exact same PS3 before him.

Well, they normally look at the serial number on their system to make sure the system was even bought from there store. If it wasn't or they look at it and it seems iffy they normally won't do it. But, either way all you have to do is complain. Ask for the store manager, etc. If that doesn't work then you call the home office and complain, complain, complain. Lol. If you do that your more then likely going to get it free and like a gift certificate for your trouble.
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Scianix-Black

let me clarify.... the ps3 was in a sealed box, maybe i should have opened it and i wont make that mistake again..... also this thing isnt just old and sitting on the shelf.... someone changed the serial # sticker off it and its covered in scratches. darrynz

The number on the box?

Well then you shouldn't have bought it, nor should they have sold it to you. It shouldn't even be a sticker; the barcode and serial number should be printed on the box.

darrynz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 darrynz
i fully intend to complain my ass off... they had that scummy piece of **** open it and then said i must have changed the sticker on the back myself. and to the guy who said i should have opened it, i sincerely doubt he does that unless he got burned too.
darrynz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 darrynz
the barcode on the box does match the receipt, the one on the ps3 does too but its obviously been changed because it was crooked and peeling off
Expo_Smacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Expo_Smacko
Every time I buy something there I make sure everything is there before I leave. But, like I said complain, complain. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
the barcode on the box does match the receipt, the one on the ps3 does too but its obviously been changed because it was crooked and peeling offdarrynz
If the barcodes all match, Walmart should be liable because they knowingly sold it to you......
soyt_llusala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 soyt_llusala

[QUOTE="soyt_llusala"]You should have tested/checked the unit at the store before purchasing. It is our right as a customer. That is sad but I think it's your fault.Diddies
Who does that? Most of the time when people buy stuff especially new expect to go home and use it. No one opens it right there in the store.

Yup I opened mine when I bought it and very meticulous about it. I checked the box if sealed, the unit for scratches ( I don't want to buy expensive stuff with scratches on it ) and tested it. However, if Wallmart does'nt offer testing the unit then, the Customer should have taken note on the unit and box serial number along with what is listed on the receipt. But again as I said you should have taken a look at the unit. Just by looking at it you will know if it is used or not.

machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 machiavell8x8
Member since 2008 • 1399 Posts
tell your dad to go return it for you, im sure he'll get the job done...
Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Diddies

[QUOTE="Diddies"][QUOTE="soyt_llusala"]You should have tested/checked the unit at the store before purchasing. It is our right as a customer. That is sad but I think it's your fault.soyt_llusala

Yup I opened mine when I bought it and very meticulous about it. I checked the box if sealed, the unit for scratches ( I don't want to buy expensive stuff with scratches on it ) and tested it. However, if Wallmart does'nt offer testing the unit then, the Customer should have taken note on the unit and box serial number along with what is listed on the receipt. But again as I said you should have taken a look at the unit. Just by looking at it you will know if it is used or not.

You are the only person that I have ever heard of doing that. Hardly anyone does that. Well no one but you does that!
B-L-I-N-G-A-H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 B-L-I-N-G-A-H
Member since 2008 • 410 Posts
the barcode will have data from when it was made, and in wich the reciept they gave you has got the date you brought the ps3 and serial codes n stuff, so if it was a 2007 model, and the reciept says you bought it in 2009, then they should 100 percent give you a refund or exchange coz its obvious where the mistake is, they should have given you a new one in the first place, not a dam 2007 model lol
Wiiingssbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 Wiiingssbb
Member since 2007 • 1136 Posts
what do you except it's walmart they're terrible
crck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 crck
Member since 2006 • 2559 Posts
Yeah looks like someone popped in their broken one, took the new one. I thought Walmart checked for stuff like this ( I know Target does) but I guess some workers don't. BTW this is why I'm shocked that Sony and Microsoft don't use factory seals on the system boxes anymore. They just slap a generic round clear sticker to seal the systems. With some search you can find those stickers online. BTW next time shop at Amazon. No tax, free shipping and they always take care of me when I have a problem.
Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

Scianix-Black
How could it have been there since launch when there were no 80 gigs at launch. Only 20 and 60 gigs
ProWarrior69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ProWarrior69
Member since 2006 • 465 Posts
yeah if the serial number matches, you win. show them that :).

i hope the best for you, id be soo pissed!
soyt_llusala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 soyt_llusala
[QUOTE="soyt_llusala"]

[QUOTE="Diddies"] Who does that? Most of the time when people buy stuff especially new expect to go home and use it. No one opens it right there in the store.Diddies

You are the only person that I have ever heard of doing that. Hardly anyone does that. Well no one but you does that!

At least I have eliminated this kind of problem.

Mr_Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 Mr_Alexander
Member since 2007 • 1686 Posts

OMG that must suck man, ouch :shock:

POPEYE1716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 POPEYE1716
Member since 2003 • 4749 Posts

take legal action

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

[QUOTE="soyt_llusala"]You should have tested/checked the unit at the store before purchasing. It is our right as a customer. That is sad but I think it's your fault.Diddies

thats true ... just go back and tell them

envybianchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 envybianchi
Member since 2004 • 1155 Posts
I sorry to hear that you're having to go through such an ordeal. I hope Sony will take care of you & quick. Don't beat yourself too hard. I'm sure things will turn out for the better.
magicquebec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 magicquebec
Member since 2006 • 1306 Posts

I just bought a ps3 80g at the local wal-mart.....before i even plugged it in for the first time i noticed that the cover was scratched up and the lid was shifted over a half an inch.

so before i did anything else i put it back in the box and brought it back to wal-mart. not surprisingly they implied that i had bought a new one and switched it out for an old one.

so after some scumbag that makes 6 bucks an hour opened it with a paperclip and screwdriver, the manager on duty acted like a real douche and refused to accept the return. i bought it brand new and it was obviously used! they said they could tell by the serial number that it was an old model from 2007. i was soooo mad. so i brought this 400 dollar piece of trash back and plugged it in for the first time....it doesnt work.it says it can't recognize the hard disk. i honestly felt like crying. i'm not rolling in money so to get boned for 400 dollars by a bunch of minimum wage losers was painful.

the moral of the story is that wal-mart in plymouth mass is super sketchy and my advice to anybody who plans on purchasing anything worth more that 20 bucks is that they should open it in the store...make a big production of it and be a pain in the ass, but whatever you do, don't get burned like i did. my only option is to try to have sony fix it, but realistically they'll probably charge me and the whole point of paying 400 bucks was that i didnt want a used 07 model. that cost me extra money to get working.

p.s. i know i could replace the hard drive myself but why should i have to?????????

darrynz
You are the customer, you are always right, you should call them, write a letter to your local news or something... do the worst just to bug them, you'll get your PS3!
Jakesta7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#36 Jakesta7
Member since 2007 • 2472 Posts
[QUOTE="darrynz"]

magicquebec
You are the customer, you are always right, you should call them, write a letter to your local news or something... do the worst just to bug them, you'll get your PS3!

Haha ya good idea! Ya tht story just makes me want to complain to walmart so much
ez_moneymaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ez_moneymaker
Member since 2006 • 1211 Posts
First off...ouch. That seems a little hard to say things like that bout working employees. I know ur angry so i let that go. Second, i dont get why they wouldnt take it back. U had a reciept right?
machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 machiavell8x8
Member since 2008 • 1399 Posts

[QUOTE="machiavell8x8"]tell your dad to go return it for you, im sure he'll get the job done...darrynz

for the record i'm 25, dont live with my parents and earned 400 bucks the old fashioned way jerkoff

if your 25 then how did you let some skinny little teenagers at walmart "jerk you off" ?
Sol-R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Sol-R
it's Wal-Mart. Take it to a different Wal-Mart or go when that manager is not on duty. I'm sorry, but if I had actually bought it new...and a manager tried to tell me I didn't...I'd light into him. it's not a point of debate, you know?
ez_moneymaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ez_moneymaker
Member since 2006 • 1211 Posts
Also sony will fix it for free since u just bought it. Just provide the reciept. Sux that u hafta do that but hey its still free for u.
Avatar image for TheGreatOutdoor
TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheGreatOutdoor
Member since 2009 • 3234 Posts
hah, I know what you mean. I just bought a airbed for camping and when I opened it to blow it up, it had two patches on it and was falling apart. But I didn't have the issue you had with not being able to return it. But I also wouldn't have let them tell me no. I would of walked back and grabbed one off the shelf and dared them to try and stop me as I walked out.
TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TheGreatOutdoor
Just take the damn thing back and tell them it was broken. I'm 100% sure they'll give you an exchange......hillelslovak
Umm.....did you not read his thread? He already tried that.
Sk8ter_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sk8ter_213
Member since 2003 • 4573 Posts
that sucks, i hope you can get a replacement or your money back.
Sol-R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sol-R
[QUOTE="hillelslovak"]Just take the damn thing back and tell them it was broken. I'm 100% sure they'll give you an exchange......TheGreatOutdoor

he needs to try it again, to be honest. And with more force and verve. Because there's no way a man should be asked to or accept paying full price for a used, broken device. businesses just don't roll like that. he needs to get much more angry. NOW.
LewyDeng2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LewyDeng2
Member since 2004 • 443 Posts
dude idk about you but i wouldve just went in there with 2 handguns and blown those losers away
TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheGreatOutdoor
[QUOTE="TheGreatOutdoor"][QUOTE="hillelslovak"]Just take the damn thing back and tell them it was broken. I'm 100% sure they'll give you an exchange......Sol-R

he needs to try it again, to be honest. And with more force and verve. Because there's no way a man should be asked to or accept paying full price for a used, broken device. businesses just don't roll like that. he needs to get much more angry. NOW.

Oh I agree with that. No way they would tell me no and me just walk away with a broken PS3.
CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts

it's Wal-Mart. Take it to a different Wal-Mart or go when that manager is not on duty. I'm sorry, but if I had actually bought it new...and a manager tried to tell me I didn't...I'd light into him. it's not a point of debate, you know?Sol-R
Well do you blame the manager when he probably has to deal with 100s of deceitful customers a day? The nature of most people is to try and take advantage and scam anyone you can.

Anyway the moral of the story is never buy expensive stuff at Wal-Mart. If something is wrong with it they can do anything about it. If you need help with it they can't do anything to help you. If it is something that you can get at a specialty store you are better getting it there and then being able to get decent assistance when any problems you may have. Its your own fault for buying an expensive product at Wal Mart. Stick to buying cheap clothes and food at Wal-Mart and buying all your electronics at a specialty store.

Sol-R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Sol-R
Well do you blame the manager when he probably has to deal with 100s of deceitful customers a day? CajunShooter
Yes, I do. As a manager, you are trained to know and understand that you cannot hold the next customer accountable for the actions of the last customer. Ever. It's not the manager's job to presume someone is guilty or innocent. His job is to make sure the customer is satisfied, as it ensures he'll be a returning customer, and it sets the tone for those he's leading. And no, that's not the moral of the story. The moral of the story is the check over your box to make sure the seals and labels aren't broken. If he had paused to look at the stickers that cover the places the box can be opened, he would have seen that the box had been opened. Wal-Mart is a fine place to buy anything...and better than most, as their return/exchange policy is second to very few. It's just unfortunate that it happened like this. I do believe, however, that if he goes back or goes to a different Wal-Mart, he'll receive the satisfaction that he deserves. If he bought the PS3 recently, his receipt will show it. All the manager has to do is match the serial # on the PS3 up with the box. If all is in order, he needs to make that exchange and stop harassing customers.
CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts
[QUOTE="CajunShooter"]Well do you blame the manager when he probably has to deal with 100s of deceitful customers a day? Sol-R
Yes, I do. As a manager, you are trained to know and understand that you cannot hold the next customer accountable for the actions of the last customer. Ever. It's not the manager's job to presume someone is guilty or innocent. His job is to make sure the customer is satisfied, as it ensures he'll be a returning customer, and it sets the tone for those he's leading. And no, that's not the moral of the story. The moral of the story is the check over your box to make sure the seals and labels aren't broken. If he had paused to look at the stickers that cover the places the box can be opened, he would have seen that the box had been opened. Wal-Mart is a fine place to buy anything...and better than most, as their return/exchange policy is second to very few. It's just unfortunate that it happened like this. I do believe, however, that if he goes back or goes to a different Wal-Mart, he'll receive the satisfaction that he deserves. If he bought the PS3 recently, his receipt will show it. All the manager has to do is match the serial # on the PS3 up with the box. If all is in order, he needs to make that exchange and stop harassing customers.

Could have all been avoided had he bought it at a specialty store that has to deal with those kinds of returns all the time instead of Wal Mart. If Wal Mart sold vehicles would you really choose them over a dealership?
lolfaqs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lolfaqs
Member since 2009 • 1776 Posts
Report them to the Better Business Bureau. If you returned it that fast, they have to honor their return policy.