Trophies: A waste of time?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AtomVamp308

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AtomVamp308
Member since 2008 • 314 Posts

Are they? Discuss.

What do I think? Well, at first I was like oh sweet this should be fun, but after getting everything in Uncharted I was sick of trophy hunting and it was draining my time like no other. I have almost all the trophies in GTA 4 but I completely lost the drive to get the rest of them, and LBP seems ridiculous to get the platinum trophy for.

I sort of wish Sony didn't follow Microsoft's trend and incorporated this into their system.

btpau1ie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 btpau1ie
Member since 2009 • 49 Posts
Since PS3 does not have trophies for all of it's games (although it will for every game that comes out in 2009 and beyond), the trophy system isn't hugely addictive. I wouldn't go calling them a waste of time, though. Even though only a few games have trophies enabled at the moment, it is cool to show them off to your online buddies. And even if you dont play online, it gives you a sense of pride for doing things, rather than having to beat the entire game for any sense of accomplishment.
BioSoldier3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 BioSoldier3
Member since 2008 • 717 Posts
only prob is you have to go to the player and go to compare trophies. 360 it shows your live score right when you look at their profile. which brings in many bragging rights.
CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CJL182
Member since 2003 • 9233 Posts
I like the fact that games have trophies. They're an optional thing to pursue and sometimes they even make you do something or play the game in some way that you never would have thought of. I'm a bigger fan of the creative trophies instead of just getting them all simply by beating the game. I usually just play the game at my leisure and then go back and get others if I feel like it lol.
Titans23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Titans23
Member since 2006 • 332 Posts
i like trophies but you will know what i'm talking about when i say this since you've played uncharted, i hate the kind of trophies where you have to collect stuff like in uncharted where you have to find all the treasures i think its boring and they shouldn't be trophies
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Personally I think going out of your way for trophies is a waste, they add absolutely nothing to the game. But unlike the developers I'm not forced to accept trophies, so I get some just by doing what I normally do, others I dont get because I dont pursue them. Like take Uncharted "Get 50 kills with grenades while hanging from a ledge" thats just stupid. If they are going to try and entice people into pursuing these things they need to better incorporate them into the gameplay. Instead of forcing you to deviate from the way you usually to play or go to some ridiculous extreme.
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
I like them. I just hate stupid or frustrating ones.
hot_shot_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hot_shot_9
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

I think trophies arent that much of a waste of time ae... I dont really try to get them to much but if u have them no harm in having them.... Also it aint that bad kause they give u something to do if u've finished a game and u just feel like playing it... They're like the optional missions in some games...

stshrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 stshrive
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I think trophies are a good thing, but I don't think they implement them very well.

The sense of accomplishment that one feels once they beat the game, or even a boss is boosted when they discover they got a trophy for it! That is a great time to give a trophy. But when developers make it so that you have to beat the game without dieing or collect all treasures in a game in order to get a trophy...that is just too far!

I could see maybe if they offered some sort of secret movie if you collected enough trophies and stuff...but you don't get anything except for a VIRTUAL trophy. It feels kind've like a rip off if you ask me. I think they put them in games in order to get people to play the game for hours beyond what they usually would.

That is my oppinion!

-Storm

hot_shot_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hot_shot_9
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

Sepewrath i also agree with u.... Some trophy requirements are just ridiculous but some are okay... Like in little big planet u get a trophy for just making a planet... But like u say in uncharted kill 50 enemies with grenades while hanging from a ledge, thats just being f*ckin stupid....

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

Personally I think going out of your way for trophies is a waste, they add absolutely nothing to the game. But unlike the developers I'm not forced to accept trophies, so I get some just by doing what I normally do, others I dont get because I dont pursue them. Like take Uncharted "Get 50 kills with grenades while hanging from a ledge" thats just stupid. If they are going to try and entice people into pursuing these things they need to better incorporate them into the gameplay. Instead of forcing you to deviate from the way you usually to play or go to some ridiculous extreme.Sepewrath

What 50 from hanging from a ledge. I dont know what you are talking about. It is like 10. Which you can do on your first playthrough which I di and din't even know it was a trophy.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Diddies

I think trophies are a good thing, but I don't think they implement them very well.

The sense of accomplishment that one feels once they beat the game, or even a boss is boosted when they discover they got a trophy for it! That is a great time to give a trophy. But when developers make it so that you have to beat the game without dieing or collect all treasures in a game in order to get a trophy...that is just too far!

I could see maybe if they offered some sort of secret movie if you collected enough trophies and stuff...but you don't get anything except for a VIRTUAL trophy. It feels kind've like a rip off if you ask me. I think they put them in games in order to get people to play the game for hours beyond what they usually would.

That is my oppinion!

-Storm

stshrive

Why would they care how long you play. All they care about is if you BUY the game, not how long you play.

daveyf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 daveyf03
Member since 2005 • 418 Posts

Well considering video games are technically speaking a waste of time, then yes, anything to do with them is by default also a waste of time.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sepewrath
I didnt mean it literally I was just throwing out a random number, but it does have that 50 kills with every weapon thing.
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts
Yes.
Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Diddies

I didnt mean it literally I was just throwing out a random number, but it does have that 50 kills with every weapon thing.Sepewrath

That one is easy as well. I got all of them in one playthrough besides one which was the shotgun. WOW!!!!

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

1) it is artificial gameplay to make the players think the game lasts longer

2) it makes all players play the same way, I like to play sometimes rushed sometimes taking my time, sometimes gettingbonuses, sometimes just do the story

3) it comes from the "achievements", created by Microsoft to satiate insecure kiddos ; I find the idea quite offensive, now we'll have people bragging "yeah, I got 2 plats and you none", this is not fun gameplay, competition shouldn't be in video gaming

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Diddies

2) it makes all players play the same way, I like to play sometimes rushed sometimes taking my time, sometimes gettingbonuses, sometimes just do the story

3) it comes from the "achievements", created by Microsoft to satiate insecure kiddos ; I find the idea quite offensive, now we'll have people bragging "yeah, I got 2 plats and you none", this is not fun gameplay, competition shouldn't be in video gaming

TheTenth10

read what I put in red. So you don't believe in online gaming I assume? Because that is all competition. Competition is good for everyone. Because you will never be better if you are not pushed by someone else who might be better than you. What I mean is if someone is better than you, you might put better effort into it to make yourslef better.

bigdrew172

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bigdrew172
Member since 2004 • 1390 Posts
I don't mind that they are there because some people like it. But I dont think I've even looked at any trophy lists for any of the games I play. I get them while playing the game and its the last time I think about them. I could care less if another person I play with online has this or that trophy. If they were to try and brag about it I'd probably just make fun of them. But to each their own
peixotopeticov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 peixotopeticov
Member since 2003 • 53 Posts
What is trophies?
nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
Of course they are a waste of time. Just like video games in general. That doesn't stop me from playing them though. In fact that's the reason why I play them.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sepewrath

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]I didnt mean it literally I was just throwing out a random number, but it does have that 50 kills with every weapon thing.Diddies

That one is easy as well. I got all of them in one playthrough besides one which was the shotgun. WOW!!!!

Call me skeptical but I just think your saying you got these things on your 1st playthrough, I think theres a good chance your full of it. Let me guess you got the trophy for finding all the treasures and for finishing the game on hard and on easy on the 1st playthrough.
Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Diddies
[QUOTE="Diddies"]

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]I didnt mean it literally I was just throwing out a random number, but it does have that 50 kills with every weapon thing.Sepewrath

Call me skeptical but I just think your saying you got these things on your 1st playthrough, I think theres a good chance your full of it

Well when you know that you need 50 kills with each weapon, you intend to go for it (at least I did) and I received all of them except the shotgun one. I don't care if you believe me or not.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Diddies
[QUOTE="Diddies"]

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]I didnt mean it literally I was just throwing out a random number, but it does have that 50 kills with every weapon thing.Sepewrath

Call me skeptical but I just think your saying you got these things on your 1st playthrough, I think theres a good chance your full of it. Let me guess you got the trophy for finding all the treasures and for finishing the game on hard and on easy on the 1st playthrough.

Um.. Yes I did. I used a walkthrough to locate all of the treasures as I was playing.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

TheTenth10

I agree with you. But I don't understand the last line. I guess you mean "competing trophies"?

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
I like trophies. They give an extra incentive to do different things and give replayability.
rybread13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rybread13
Member since 2007 • 44 Posts

it rly depends...the trophie add replay value to games.

gaza98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gaza98
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
some games like endwar and mk v dc are a waste of time as they are too difficult and stupid especially for people without internet access on endwar and people that suck at combos on mk.
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
I like trophies, they are a boredom killer
Gamerboi27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Gamerboi27
Member since 2005 • 3261 Posts

well i never try to get trophics...so to me theyre not a waste of time

ShadowBass989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 ShadowBass989
Member since 2004 • 1734 Posts
the only kind of trophies i dislike r ones that require u to do something with online play. like resistance 2, u get a trophy for getting 10,000 kills. even if u r hooked, that will take a while. and if you rnt hooked, then it just takes forever or u stop pursuing it after a while. if it was like 1,00 kills, thats fine.
Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts
trophies are pointless.. if i'm not having fun than whats the point... i only play as long as i'm enjoying it...
Jimbob1112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jimbob1112
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I like trophies. They give you a goal to work towards especially after you have mastered a game. Don't really care for online trophies tho.
milan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 milan22
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts

Are they? Discuss.

What do I think? Well, at first I was like oh sweet this should be fun, but after getting everything in Uncharted I was sick of trophy hunting and it was draining my time like no other. I have almost all the trophies in GTA 4 but I completely lost the drive to get the rest of them, and LBP seems ridiculous to get the platinum trophy for.

I sort of wish Sony didn't follow Microsoft's trend and incorporated this into their system.

AtomVamp308
ur wrong, trophies can be fun most times and challenging!
hooded1man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hooded1man
Member since 2004 • 1099 Posts
I hate trophies, and I hate achivements lol. Some of them are fun, but its always about who has the biggest e-pen** in the end ;).
Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts
i like trophies, its a way of bragging. the people that dont like them must suck at getting them LOL!
DeltaCobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 DeltaCobra
Member since 2007 • 542 Posts
Yes they are usless to me, particularly compared to the X360 setup I reckon. At least they tried but yes it sucks for sure. I still love my PS3 more cause I have more online friends on PS3, definitely not the achievements.
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
I think it's a good way to add replay value to a game, especially the ones with no multiplayer.
JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
The people who hate trophies have the most ridiculous excuses ever.

TheTenth10
1) It's not artificial gameplay nor do trophy hunting players think the game last's longer 2) It definately doesn't make people play the same way. There are numerous ways to tackle just about any trophy even if there is one common goal. 3) I've never heard of anyone bragging about trophies and "competition shouldn't be in gaming" is an insult to anyone whom plays an online game or participates in any gaming tournaments.
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
Trophies and Achievements are just the natural progression of "points" from earlier games like Pac-Man. I didn't really care about points when playing Pac-Man so it just follows that I couldn't care less about Trophies and Achievements. If I wanted to be competitive I'd go outside and play some sports with friends.
Lupivdaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lupivdaman
Member since 2007 • 525 Posts

trophies are nice when you put it like this

from 2009 and on every game must have trophies so then your friends can know how many games you have when they compare trophies with you,

but it sucks that it is really frustrating when the trophies are really hard,

and most people will hear some guy say that some game has easy trophies in it, so then the guy will feel like buying that game even if it sucks

Evildude683

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Evildude683
Member since 2009 • 445 Posts
IMO...YES they are...i don't see how they will make me choose a game over another one just because one has them and the other one doesn't....besides i wish by getting trophies were able to get like "ranks" on the PSN with like medals and stuff to proudly display on our portable ID's...I just don't wanna put hours and hours into a game to just get "trophies"...no way .
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
I think they're more of a good thing than a bad thing. And for those of you who hate them, blame the YCube 359 for introducing the idea in the first place :P
DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8784 Posts
I have to like the game first. I have no interest in Pain (waste of money). So I have no interest in attaining any of the trophies for it. On the other hand, I love Resistance 2, and am having a lot of fun trying to get the 10k kill trophy.
Hitnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Hitnake
Member since 2007 • 61 Posts
I think your right . I'm just trying to get more trophies , not enjoy the game because I don't want to have less trophies than my friends and this is not good .
skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts
Yes!
AtomVamp308

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AtomVamp308
Member since 2008 • 314 Posts
Dammit, I know its a waste of time but as I'm typing this I have Resistance 2 paused and I'm trophy hunting. I guess I just can't help myself, it can be addicting from time to time.
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#49 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
Yep.To me they are.I actually heard someone on Socom last night complaining about how the Trophies where too hard and all I could do was shake my head in disbelief.I play games for fun.Not to unlock little pat on the backs for doing something stupid every ten mins.And when it comes to beating games on the hardest setting,well I have been doing that with CERTAIN games way before Achievements and Trophies.
Kleeyook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#50 Kleeyook
Member since 2008 • 5213 Posts
Well, unlike achievements, trophies are far ridiculous. Thanks to Microsoft brought us achievement system. Sony had to bring trophy system, and it's more ridiculous and frustrating. :( Seriously, some trophies are just too hard. That's why people hate it. Something like beat the game without dying is just more frustrating than challenging. And the last one is to get all other trophies for platinum, anyone who get it should be proud of themselves. But for someone who can't get it, it shows others that u are sucked. :(