Transfering data from a 60 gig launch PS3 to a 320 gig slim PS3.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blackIceJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 blackIceJoe
Member since 2005 • 3347 Posts

I was about to transfer my 60 gig data to my 320 gig PS3. But it says it deletes all the data. So does it delete even the PS2 data because I will not be able to use it on the new PS3? I still want to be able to play PS2 games & I don't want to lose all the hours I have spent on the PS2 to be wasted. So can you transfer every other thing but the PS2 data to the slim or will that be transfered too? Yet you will not be able to use it on the new PS3? Also with me being a PS+ member would it be better to not transfer the stuff & just put all my data on the cloud service?

lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lusitanogamer
Member since 2006 • 9338 Posts
The Slim model is not backwards compatible.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#3 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I don't know to be honest - and I did a transfer a few months back from an 80GB BC unit to a 320GB Slim. It should transfer the virtual memory cards over, but you won't be able to use them on the new PS3 for anything - you can back them up to a USB stick if you want to transfer them to something that can play PS2 games, however. Also, the transfer process leaves the original PS3 more or less intact, only deleting copy-protected saves (like Demon's Souls), so even if it doesn't copy over your PS2 stuff it'll remain on your old PS3.
blackIceJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 blackIceJoe
Member since 2005 • 3347 Posts

Thanks for the info DJ_Lae I never even thought about a USB. So I will have to do that. Plus with the old PS3 keeping some old game saves is great news too. Because if I want to use the other PS3 I can use that one & still have game saves. Thanks again

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

So if your launch 60gig PS3 is still working just transfer everything but the PS2 game saves over. If you have the PS2 memory card reader Just transfer the PS2 game saves data onto a 8MB PS2 memory card. There are only 2 slots that you can use for PS2 or PS1 games saves anyway. So you just need the PS3 PS2 memory card reader and 2 PS2 memory cards.

Everything else can be transferred over to the 320PS3 Slim.

Then just put your PS2 game saves back on the 60giger and your good to go. The only difficult part is finding a PS2/PS1 legacy Memory card reader. Which may be hard to come by in 2011. Since it was only good for the 20/60 and first gen 80gigers which are also hard to come by in 2011.