This is why Home failed (no not another Home bashing thread)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Ket87
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts

The most important reason Home failed is because its free, and PSN is a free service why are people not factoring this in when crying about it? The servers required to run Home and the money to maintain and develop it are literally coming out of Sony's pockets directly. Not too mention the fact its still in Beta form and it as of now does not include many features and its obviously a world that will be shaped by a long timespan of content. This is coupled with unreasonable expectations and sheer ignorance to what it actually was. It succeeds in its main goal of provided an interactive way for players too meet and join games with or against each other (though sadly this function is not yet enabled in the Beta). But from what I've seen people are not interested in meeting new friends on there everyone just runs around typing ridiculous things or shouting into the mic.

All I can say is give it time, once the full range of features comes online and a few months of content expand the service it will likely be very usefull. Really once the launch games from Home feature is added for creating parties it will really be great, all Sony needs to do is make it work faster or better integrate it into the current PSN service and the XMB. As of now it takes too long to start up and get out and meeting with people to really do much even if the party and launch games options were working. Give Sony time, its a free program (not a game) and a preview version at that, day one of a stripped down version is not going to blow anyone away. I'm interested in seeing what can be done with this.

Also for anyone experiencing issues logging on aside from Sub-Account issues that others have already provided solutions for try deleting Home and reinstalling it, and/or reseting your router. These seemed to have helped out a lot and I havn't had problems since.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

I think a lot of people expected Home to be some kind of "Jesus" game

I may not have a working PS3 right now, but I could tell you I've never been fond of this whole Home thing anyways. All I care about is a better friend and party system and the ability to jump into games together with it. That could've just been done with text and a few icons for all I care. Home to me, is just the Second Life My Space of PS3. I don't really understand or know what people are expecting of it. But people have been talking like it's a game and their entire lives depend on it's "success".

Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts
Home hasn't failed yet... its just the beta...
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ket87

Home hasn't failed yet... its just the beta... americahellyeah
I didn't mean it in that sense, I was trying to be ironic if anything. The word is being tossed around everywhere today because of as I said pure ignorance. People are expecting a game, people are not realizing that Beta is written beside the Home logo, or even trying to utilize what its there for yet.

As the other poster said I would liek to see Home features integrated into the XMB and maybe the Home avatars as well. Perhaps Sony could do a total rehaul on their friends list portion of the XMB in a fashion similar to the XBL dashboard and give people the option to do it through home with more interaction or through the XMB in a simple and clean fashion. This will almost certainly have to be a good ways down the road but I think its a good idea for Sony to do so.

DivineGigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 DivineGigas
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
no its great other then the surver instability witch is understandable, but im still disipointed not becouse its not a game or even becouse of its server problems. im upset becouse it dose not include things they said where going to be in it i.e. raido tvs and picture frames, i know its a beta and there done yet but this stuff was in the earler press releses rember when they threw the tv down the stars, i just want wat the said they where givein me
camian69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 camian69
Member since 2006 • 583 Posts
It is free to a point......but to get the most out of it.....costs $$$'s. All this talk about how PSN is free and Home is free....but to get the most out of one's gaming experience, it is not free.
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ket87
I forgot about all those haha, only thing I was wondering about was what happended to trophy rooms? I thought we were going to have trophy rooms for our houses or I am remembering that wrong?
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ket87

It is free to a point......but to get the most out of it.....costs $$$'s. All this talk about how PSN is free and Home is free....but to get the most out of one's gaming experience, it is not free. camian69

Noones ever going to buy the clothing but $4.99 for new houses/clubhouses is ridiculous. I get the feeling Sony will realize that its a bad idea and figure out some other way.

feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts
People will buy anything if they think it looks nice on their 'virtual' home or self. I agree with the earlier remark that HOME isn't free IF you want to maximize the Home experience, but otherwise, it's like those free RPGs you see where you can't get any special things without shelling out cash. Sony knows this and they know people will shell out the $ for virtual items---all the while touting "it's free". :)

[QUOTE="camian69"]It is free to a point......but to get the most out of it.....costs $$$'s. All this talk about how PSN is free and Home is free....but to get the most out of one's gaming experience, it is not free. Ket87

Noones ever going to buy the clothing but $4.99 for new houses/clubhouses is ridiculous. I get the feeling Sony will realize that its a bad idea and figure out some other way.

Spy_106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Spy_106
Member since 2005 • 712 Posts
Stop saying that they failed at least you aren't paying monthy like xbox! What do you expect having millions of people using servers and you're paying.. Pay to me and I will run servers or I will run servers and have fun for free There a big difference Give Sony some support some good words for them
one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

#13 one_on_one
Member since 2008 • 2368 Posts

Has anyone else tried launching a game from Home? I did it with Warhawk and Far Cry 2. It's pretty sweet, but yeah, it has a very long way to go. Although I just prefer inserting the game and just start playing instead of going to Home first.

Wuflungdung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 Wuflungdung
Member since 2007 • 634 Posts
The most important reason Home failed is because its free, and PSN is a free service why are people not factoring this in when crying about it? The servers required to run Home and the money to maintain and develop it are literally coming out of Sony's pockets directly. Ket87
Well its not really cause we pay a fortune for the console. I paid 600 euros for mine, thats a fair amount of money.
baller72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 baller72
Member since 2007 • 1847 Posts

LMAO, trust me.. there are plenty of people who are willing to pay for items if Sony plays their cards right. People already pay $2-$4 worth of XBL points for crap like avatars and themes.. not to mention all those track packs. Anyways, I am very familiar with the Sims/Second Life crowd thanks to alot of my douche bag friends.. and especially concerning a game like Second Life which is also "free" but requires some money to fully enjoy I have received quite a wake up call to how far people will delve into something that does a good job of catching their interest.

p.s.

Has anyone else noticed how everything new Sony tries to accomplish is almost always considered "life or death"? Seriously, people are having a stroke over the fricken beta of Home while almost giving a complete free pass to the NXE update even though it lacked nearly all of it's interesting features that were hyped by Microsoft.

The kicker is that with the current public opinion of Sony right now.. they are seemingly always in a no win situation. Basically, a success is considered minor and quickly downplayed while every mistake is blown out of proportion to nearly "another nail in the casket" type levels. Example, the Sony backed Blu-Ray format enjoyed a thorough victory only to have its importance downplayed in only a matter of months. Meanwhile, everyone knows damn well there are plenty of fanboys chomping at the bit to blast Sony over Home.. a strong showing of Home will only render good pub for a couple months while a bad showing will be "many" months if not "years" of crap raining down on Sony.. sorta like if Blu-Ray had failed. I dont know.. maybe its me..

KingOfOldSkool
I feel you totally on that P.S. statement.... Sony seems to always be in a LOSE LOSE situation
Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
Too many people see Beta and read: DEMO RATE ME PLEAAAAASE ...... please honestly ... if you are one of those people leave and dont talk about it because honestly you are too young / ignorant to understand a beta.
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts
People will buy anything if they think it looks nice on their 'virtual' home or self. I agree with the earlier remark that HOME isn't free IF you want to maximize the Home experience, but otherwise, it's like those free RPGs you see where you can't get any special things without shelling out cash. Sony knows this and they know people will shell out the $ for virtual items---all the while touting "it's free". :)[QUOTE="Ket87"]

[QUOTE="camian69"]It is free to a point......but to get the most out of it.....costs $$$'s. All this talk about how PSN is free and Home is free....but to get the most out of one's gaming experience, it is not free. feryl06

You guys are all missing one big other place of revenue from Home. Advertisements. All those posters and videos that you see in the bowling alley and the central plaza all paid for that space. Right now its a good number of first party products in there, but I think that might change a bit in the future.
TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

1) I think HOME canbe a great way to find people to play online, the only game I play often online is Eye of Judgment, but I know a lot of FPS fans will like this feature (racers too), in a near future it can be awesome for MMORPGs too (I'm thinking of the online mode of White knight story) and the little games can be just what this genre needed as there's always someone late for a big dungeon or the lunch break

2) I've never fully understood the "advertising" system : I don't care one bit about a brand or another making a short movie, I buy what I need and decide about the quality of a product by testing it myself ; but if some companies want to give Sony some money by putting ads in HOME thanks to them ... if it can give players some advantage (= if you win lots of trophies for EA games, then you get some free EA content) it'll be even better

TJSAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TJSAGE
Member since 2006 • 3540 Posts

What have they been working on the past year???

Hasnt their been a beta for awhile going on?

This is it?

Xternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#20 Xternal
Member since 2005 • 530 Posts

Sony have tried to be clever in doing the whole 'home' thing. Basic clothes and furniture so some people(goodness knows why) buy clothing, furniture and all that.

But i do agree in some sense, it is kind of a failure. I don't know if any of you have heard of "habbo hotel" but it's basically that, in a more graphical form. It's decent, and it's a good addition. I wouldn't pay for it, but if sony are going to build PShome, then i agree they should have a more stable server.

Xternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#21 Xternal
Member since 2005 • 530 Posts
Although, in a relpy to my last post. People will buy the clothing and things, because people buy gamer pictures on xbox dont they? The clubhouses though.. Hmm I'm not too sure.
Mcortijo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mcortijo01
Member since 2003 • 2589 Posts
It just got released, give time before you judge it.
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts
Please use the stickied thread now. Thanks.