Thinking of buying PS3 ONLY for Blu-Ray

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ISuperGamerI
Member since 2006 • 3292 Posts

Well, I am thinking about buying a PS3 only for the Blu-Ray, because I am starting a movie collection but I want to get Blu-Ray movies. What do you guys think?

dstryr13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dstryr13
Member since 2007 • 6521 Posts
i think its an excellent choice because if you ever want to hop into a game that you might like you can always go buy that as well and join in on the fun
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ISuperGamerI
I am also looking at buying the 60GB version which costs $549 CND. The only problem I have is that there are tons of great games getting released soon and I might not have enough money to buy those games.
Shaqneel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Shaqneel
Member since 2006 • 1413 Posts
Well Yeah, I would say get the 60gb, or the 20 gb if you can find one and really, i mean really ONLY intend to use it for bluray and no games. It's one of the best blu-ray players on the market so you'll be getting a good quality. If you want to partake in some of the great exclusive games, then go ahead and get the 60gb.
navigata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 navigata
Member since 2005 • 7619 Posts
Very good thought choice, definitley get it if your into blu ray movies. I mean other blu ray players themselves ALONE cost like 700 bucks sometimes. When you get the ps3 its like ur getting the blu ray for free in a sense. Get it great for blu ray
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ISuperGamerI

Does the 20GB version also have a built-in Blu-Ray player?

starfxxxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 starfxxxer
Member since 2004 • 3295 Posts

Does the 20GB version also have a built-in Blu-Ray player?

ISuperGamerI
of course >_>
Mrbiggerdems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mrbiggerdems
Member since 2005 • 554 Posts

the 20 gb does also have blu-ray player built in. :)

Avatar image for BassPlayingKing
BassPlayingKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BassPlayingKing
Member since 2006 • 493 Posts
A couple of weeks ago i would of said yeah go for it, but don't. Paramount don't make movies for Blu-Ray, only hd-dvd...so classic films like Transformers are NOT gonna be on Blu-Ray...gutted! But what can we do!
AIH_PSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 AIH_PSP
Member since 2005 • 2318 Posts
A couple of weeks ago i would of said yeah go for it, but don't. Paramount don't make movies for Blu-Ray, only hd-dvd...so classic films like Transformers are NOT gonna be on Blu-Ray...gutted! But what can we do!BassPlayingKing
So screw Paramount. Let them suffer. Blu-Ray will win and they will publish Transformers and the other movies.
winner-ps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 winner-ps3
Member since 2007 • 2364 Posts

A couple of weeks ago i would of said yeah go for it, but don't. Paramount don't make movies for Blu-Ray, only hd-dvd...so classic films like Transformers are NOT gonna be on Blu-Ray...gutted! But what can we do!BassPlayingKing

relax, they were giving 150mill to be HDdvd exclusive (note this doesnt count steven speilberg movies)

joevfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 joevfx
Member since 2004 • 978 Posts

Well, I am thinking about buying a PS3 only for the Blu-Ray, because I am starting a movie collection but I want to get Blu-Ray movies. What do you guys think?

ISuperGamerI

go for it, i bougth mine 50% for games and 50% for blu ray

xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts

lol hd dvd now has 2 exclusive studios where as blu ray has around 5 and is out selling hd dvd by at least a 2-1 ratio
also note that the parmount exclusive deal only last 18 months

Avatar image for deactivated-5bbebc0a7198f
deactivated-5bbebc0a7198f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 deactivated-5bbebc0a7198f
Member since 2005 • 42 Posts

I mainly bought my PS3 for the Blu-Ray capacity right now, although I did have plans to buy it eventually for games. Right now it seems to be an excellent choice for a player. I wouldn't worry too much about the hard drive size as that can be upgraded easily since the PS3 uses a pretty standard 2.5" notebook drive. You can get 160GB for around $100 +\-. Also right now you'll get five free Blu-Ray movies if you go with the PS3 before Aug. 31. Below I've put the url for a review of the Blu-Ray aspect of the PS3 and for the five free movies.

Review:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127892-c,dvddrivesmedia/article.html

Five free:

http://www.bluraysavings.com/

strikepheonix5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 strikepheonix5
Member since 2006 • 72 Posts
blu ray dvd players can also play hd dvds too
Disturbed83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Disturbed83
Member since 2003 • 81 Posts

blu ray dvd players can also play hd dvds toostrikepheonix5

What!!!!???? No they can't!

MERC_RECONN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 MERC_RECONN
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

ISuperGamerI

lol....what are we suppose to think...?? It's your money.

ps320071

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ps320071
Member since 2007 • 285 Posts
good choice cuse a sony blue ray goes for about 600 so it would be good to buy the ps3 cuse u get a whole lot more
stikasasn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 stikasasn
Member since 2003 • 139 Posts

LOL Um.. well so I dont mind. Sure you might miss a few good movies coming to Blu-raybut the PS3 also has DVD up-scaling so you can still get DVD's and they will look quite good. Sure won't be as good as a HD-DVD version but still dam good.

Also with all these PVR talks and Downloading movies from a service a larger HDD wont hurt. And having a game system around might make any social gathering you host a little more entertaining. Just tell people coming that you have a ps3 and they can bring thier own games or rent them.... lol whatever

homsuplo75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 homsuplo75
Member since 2003 • 1367 Posts
I say it's a great choice. I too had already planned on buying Blu-Ray and decided on the PS3 because who knows... sometime down the road there are going to be some outstanding games that may interest me. If I bought a stand alone player I'd be shelling out twice as much for what I alread have.
ps320071

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ps320071
Member since 2007 • 285 Posts
blue ray is technically hd dvd but y would u get a blue ray player to play the hds when u can get a hd player
Blommen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Blommen
Member since 2003 • 1337 Posts

Hahaha...NO!

stikasasn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 stikasasn
Member since 2003 • 139 Posts

blue ray is technically hd dvd but y would u get a blue ray player to play the hds when u can get a hd playerps320071

WTF thats like saying DVD's are technicnally an HD-CD

gamegod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gamegod
Member since 2002 • 2497 Posts

its cheaper than a stand alone and if you decide you want to buy games youre good to go

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ISuperGamerI
Thanks for all the info but where can I find a 20GB PS3, because I checked BestBuy.ca and all they have is the 60GB and the 80GB version.
Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts

Thanks for all the info but where can I find a 20GB PS3, because I checked BestBuy.ca and all they have is the 60GB and the 80GB version.ISuperGamerI

I would assume that the 20gb version is almost gone. You might find it on ebay or get lucky when you go into stores, but you won't find them on Online stores.

Blommen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Blommen
Member since 2003 • 1337 Posts
It is not in production anymore so you will have to find it used, on ebay or something...
casey7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 casey7672
Member since 2006 • 5348 Posts

I am also looking at buying the 60GB version which costs $549 CND. The only problem I have is that there are tons of great games getting released soon and I might not have enough money to buy those games.ISuperGamerI

Just get the ones you can and enjoy. No one can afford all the great games coming.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ISuperGamerI
Thats too bad I dont use eBay to buy expensive purchases. If I cant find a 20GB PS3 in Canada, I might think about getting the 60GB version.
hazuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 hazuki
Member since 2003 • 3959 Posts
If only for blu-ray, buy a stand-alone blu-ray player. Why? The ps3 is missing out on some features. Example- analog 5.1. It'll only do digital 5.1 pcm sound, which only the expensive sound recievers do. Nearly all recievers do analog 5.1 sound, which is better than regular dolby digital or dts. Now if you do find yourself wanting to play games every now and then, go for the ps3. If not? Theres better out there, for the same price of the ps3.
dstryr13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dstryr13
Member since 2007 • 6521 Posts

check EB/Gamestop website

they have had some on their site recently

trininuyawka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 trininuyawka
Member since 2005 • 165 Posts

Thats too bad I dont use eBay to buy expensive purchases. If I cant find a 20GB PS3 in Canada, I might think about getting the 60GB version.ISuperGamerI

Not surehow the conversion factor works, but with the recent price drop, the 60GB is the same price as the 20GB was when it first came out. So you may end up paying the same as you were expecting to pay in the first place.

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

If only for blu-ray, buy a stand-alone blu-ray player. Why? The ps3 is missing out on some features. Example- analog 5.1. It'll only do digital 5.1 pcm sound, which only the expensive sound recievers do. Nearly all recievers do analog 5.1 sound, which is better than regular dolby digital or dts. Now if you do find yourself wanting to play games every now and then, go for the ps3. If not? Theres better out there, for the same price of the ps3.hazuki

The 5.1 analog is not true surround sound because the only way of getting the true surround is via a digital signal (analog is just simulated surround sound and nothing more.

As for the PS3 Blu-Ray player the PS3 is about the best player because not only does it support upscaled DVD/PS/PS2 but it also will support up to 7.1 true surround sound via a digital signal (the best would be HDMI 1.3).

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

ISuperGamerI

Your name is SuperGamer and you don't plan on using the PS3 for games???? Seriously what are you trying to do? If you're planning on NEVER playing games or using for anything else, then the PS3 is a BAD choice. You can get cheaper BR players which leaves more room to purchase more movies. I don't believe you're going to buy a PS3 only for BR.

trininuyawka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 trininuyawka
Member since 2005 • 165 Posts

If only for blu-ray, buy a stand-alone blu-ray player. Why? The ps3 is missing out on some features. Example- analog 5.1. It'll only do digital 5.1 pcm sound, which only the expensive sound recievers do. Nearly all recievers do analog 5.1 sound, which is better than regular dolby digital or dts. Now if you do find yourself wanting to play games every now and then, go for the ps3. If not? Theres better out there, for the same price of the ps3.hazuki

If you're investing in a Blu-Ray player, why would you want to listen to analog? Sureyou may listen to PCM audio, but then that audio is not true discrete surround sound. 5.1 means 5 individual channels plus a separate low frequency channel. Analog doens't output this type of sound. Imagine VCR sound only crisper.

hazuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hazuki

[QUOTE="hazuki"]If only for blu-ray, buy a stand-alone blu-ray player. Why? The ps3 is missing out on some features. Example- analog 5.1. It'll only do digital 5.1 pcm sound, which only the expensive sound recievers do. Nearly all recievers do analog 5.1 sound, which is better than regular dolby digital or dts. Now if you do find yourself wanting to play games every now and then, go for the ps3. If not? Theres better out there, for the same price of the ps3.jimm895

The 5.1 analog is not true surround sound because the only way of getting the true surround is via a digital signal (analog is just simulated surround sound and nothing more.

As for the PS3 Blu-Ray player the PS3 is about the best player because not only does it support upscaled DVD/PS/PS2 but it also will support up to 7.1 true surround sound via a digital signal (the best would be HDMI 1.3).

You're not getting what I'm saying. You've never heard of analog 5.1 have you? You're probably thinking of the left and right analog cables. True analog 5.1 surround sound has 6 cables. 1 that goes to each speaker, and 1 for the subwoofer. A bit of a mess, but is so far better than optical. Only thing that surpasses it, is hdmi.

Suliman-Uchia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#37 Suliman-Uchia
Member since 2007 • 893 Posts
Don't sony loses mony on the ps3 if your o buy at least buy ps2 games or ps1 sony is in deep trouble if don't buy games
hazuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hazuki

[QUOTE="hazuki"]If only for blu-ray, buy a stand-alone blu-ray player. Why? The ps3 is missing out on some features. Example- analog 5.1. It'll only do digital 5.1 pcm sound, which only the expensive sound recievers do. Nearly all recievers do analog 5.1 sound, which is better than regular dolby digital or dts. Now if you do find yourself wanting to play games every now and then, go for the ps3. If not? Theres better out there, for the same price of the ps3.trininuyawka

If you're investing in a Blu-Ray player, why would you want to listen to analog? Sureyou may listen to PCM audio, but then that audio is not true discrete surround sound. 5.1 means 5 individual channels plus a separate low frequency channel. Analog doens't output this type of sound. Imagine VCR sound only crisper.

Read above post. Each analog cable corresponds to a speaker. I'm not talking about 2 cable analog simulated 5.1 with pro logic or anything.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ISuperGamerI
[QUOTE="ISuperGamerI"]

kingtito

Your name is SuperGamer and you don't plan on using the PS3 for games???? Seriously what are you trying to do? If you're planning on NEVER playing games or using for anything else, then the PS3 is a BAD choice. You can get cheaper BR players which leaves more room to purchase more movies. I don't believe you're going to buy a PS3 only for BR.

I have an Xbox 360 and I am serious that the only reason would be for Blu-Ray to start working on my movie collection.

bdf3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bdf3
Member since 2006 • 26 Posts

It's all good, I bought the PS3 primarily for blu-ray as I have a nice HDTV. I bought a couple of games, but most of gaming is on the Wii. I do reccomend it as a good blu-ray player that if you got the urge to play a game, you could. But that would be the only advantage. Sony's blu-ray player is also $500. Either way, you can't go wrong. Good luck on your purchase.

B

gpsych

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gpsych
Member since 2007 • 70 Posts

ISuperGamerI

i think go for it

Avatar image for elemental_drago
elemental_drago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 elemental_drago
Member since 2004 • 1816 Posts

That's only half true. There are some dual-format players out there, but it doesn't hold true for all of them. Eg: the HD-DVD player attachment for the 360 doesn't play BluRay nor does the PS3 play HD-DVD. A dedicated player will only play it's own format (and probably standard DVD, but I can't say I speak from experience there. The PS3 will, but that's all I can for certain)

knicknut17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#43 knicknut17
Member since 2003 • 1987 Posts

PS3 will play Blu-Ray movies and Blu-Ray games. It will play PS2 and PS1 games, upconvert DVD's, play CD's (even enhance the sound quality), and even play VCD's.

It is a wonderful multimedia machine and gaming console. Highly reccomended.

nowhatisthat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nowhatisthat
Member since 2003 • 231 Posts
I was at best-buy for about 2 hours today playing PS3 games and 360 games. I was constantly going back and forth to looking at the games for each system, and then playing some more; I absolutely didn't know which to get. Then when I got tired a took a seat in the Blu Ray player booth they had set up and I starting watching some of the trailers to blu ray movies on this beautiful panasonic hd-tv, and after that I was SOLD on the PS3! I immediately got up and grabbed my new PS3 I was very impressed with the image quality of the blu-ray player hd tv combination.
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ISuperGamerI

PS3 will play Blu-Ray movies and Blu-Ray games. It will play PS2 and PS1 games, upconvert DVD's, play CD's (even enhance the sound quality), and even play VCD's.

It is a wonderful multimedia machine and gaming console. Highly reccomended.

knicknut17

Even VCDs?

AgentZero225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AgentZero225
Member since 2007 • 1718 Posts

i think its an excellent choice because if you ever want to hop into a game that you might like you can always go buy that as well and join in on the fundstryr13

I agree, with the ps3 u get more for ur money