Thinking about getting Silent Hill: HC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

newhighscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 newhighscore
Member since 2008 • 2037 Posts

Just wanted to know what the Gamespot community thought about it. There is still no reveiw. I read a cpl user scores and what they had to say but I am still on the fence. I only played the original on the psx. I was a huge fan of the atmosphere and the infuriating puzzles. The combat system and enemy ai were my only beefs. But from what Ive read it seems they have flip flopped this. I hear the combat system is perfected and enemies will surprise you (especially bosses) But I also read that you can just walk through the levels and puzzles with little to no problems. One user proclaimed how overly linear the levels were. Like they just railroaded you on the correct path. Maybe Im different but, I liked the old wandering arround in the fog and using the map trying to find everything along the way. But with a good story, multiple endings based on the things you do throughout the game determine, and an eerie atmosphere I could still be persuaded to shell out my hard earned per-diem for this title.

So how bout it folks. Silent Hill. Yay or Nay?

newhighscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 newhighscore
damn. guess nobodys on right now that has played it....
thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 thetruespin
Member since 2008 • 3256 Posts
i think deadspace has stolen the survival horror glory for the time being.
rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts
Can't say much but I would do some research about Dead Space. Game is looking awesome. Getting it today :D
WalterPeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 WalterPeck
Member since 2007 • 371 Posts

Having played 1-4 and partway through Homecoming, I am happy with the combat changes. The protagonist is a lot more adept at fighting than any of the other games, but enemies are more difficult. Ammo is more sparse and like SH4 you're going to be using melee weapons more (although they don't break like in SH4).

As far as linearity, it doesn't seem any more or less linear than any of the others. I guess SH1 was the least linear in that respect since it had an entire small section of the game you could skip or not that would affect two of the endings. Other than that, it's about the same as the others. The dialogue choices, in fact, make it a bit less linear than the other games, and how you get the endings is affected by this, without spoiling anything. SH1 is one of my favorite games and I am a tough critic, but I like Homecoming thus far.

samourai_v87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 samourai_v87
Member since 2007 • 209 Posts
Yay!Get it man. It's AWESOME!
Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

Just wanted to know what the Gamespot community thought about it. There is still no reveiw. I read a cpl user scores and what they had to say but I am still on the fence. I only played the original on the psx. I was a huge fan of the atmosphere and the infuriating puzzles. The combat system and enemy ai were my only beefs. But from what Ive read it seems they have flip flopped this. I hear the combat system is perfected and enemies will surprise you (especially bosses) But I also read that you can just walk through the levels and puzzles with little to no problems. One user proclaimed how overly linear the levels were. Like they just railroaded you on the correct path. Maybe Im different but, I liked the old wandering arround in the fog and using the map trying to find everything along the way. But with a good story, multiple endings based on the things you do throughout the game determine, and an eerie atmosphere I could still be persuaded to shell out my hard earned per-diem for this title.

So how bout it folks. Silent Hill. Yay or Nay?

newhighscore

The game is fairly linear, and the puzzles are very simple. But I really liked this SH. It isn't the best in the series. It may even be the second worse (better than the Room)...but I say that knowing that Homecoming is still very very solid and a worthy game in the SH series. The only real thing holding it back is that I felt the visuals weren't that next gen leap that we saw from SH to SH2. At times I actually felt SH3 looked better when it came to details. Also, the series IS starting to feel a little dates and needs some sort of overhaul.

But I felt those were the only negatives. I really enjoyed this game, enjoyed the story and the graphics ARE good despite my nitpicking. If you like SH then you will enjoy this game.

ungodlyabyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ungodlyabyss
Member since 2006 • 189 Posts
Awesome game. There are some flaws though. For example, I was just walking along and a zombie nurse is around the corner. I'm like, "no big deal, I'll just stab her in the throat", but then she starts stabbing me. I coudn't block, I couldn't even access my inventory to heal. She just tore me to pieces. The only other complaint I had about the game was the length of it. It only took me 8 hours to beat. That how much I *#&#@ work in one day. However, the game is awesome. If your not a big Silent Hill fan then just rent it. With me I have to own it just because I have all the other #*(@# games.
WalterPeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WalterPeck
I agree with Homecoming perhaps being only better than SH4, but it is close enough to the first three in quality that I don't think that is a bad thing. I also agree that the gameplay was getting dated, so the new combat style was very awesome, to me. I guess it might be off-putting to others that like the scary nature of the clunky combat style of the other games, and it worked, but it is old.
WalterPeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WalterPeck
Also as far as the length, SH2 was the shortest; I knocked it out in 7 hours the first playthough and 6 the next few times... SH1 was by far the longest for me, it took more than 10 hours the first time. SH4 was similarly long but involved a lot of backtracking through the same areas.
Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts

I loved it. It was definitely one of my favourite games in the series (I'd probably rank it 3rd after SH1 and 2). It stayed true to the series's roots while still managing to be a unique, different game in it's own right. The basic gameplay is the same (explore areas of town, kill monsters, solve puzzles) and the typical oppressive atmosphere and mind**** of a story are still there, but when it comes down to how the game plays and feels, it's a very different (and, without a shadow of a doubt better to play) game.

The new combat is awesome and one of the games better additions. Alex can hold his own in a fight without ever feeling overpowered and the correct strategy is needed in fighting the even deadlier creatures. The game also very much takes the survival part of the horror genre to heart and there are many sections of the game were you'll be fighting for your life with very limited supplies.

The bottom line is: if you're a fan of the SH games and don't mind a bit of change (good change mind you, we all remember how SH4 turned out) then you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of Homecoming. It's got one of the series's best story arcs and is easily the most fun to play, even if it isn't the series's scariest game.

Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts

I'm getting it I'm just waiting for it to be released here in the UK, 3 months ago they said it will be released for EU in September while NA is TBA now they did it otherway round.

last I heard it will be released in Nov.

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts

I'm getting it I'm just waiting for it to be released here in the UK, 3 months ago they said it will be released for EU in September while NA is TBA now they did it otherway round.

Star650

The EU version has been pushed back to February 2009 to go along with the release of the censored German version. I couldn't wait until Nov, let Feb (I imported mine, which hs proved smart in the long run).

Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts
[QUOTE="Star650"]

Silent-Hal

The EU version has been pushed back to February 2009 to go along with the release of the censored German version. I couldn't wait until Nov, let Feb (I imported mine, which hs proved smart in the long run).

That is not a problem I'm going back to my country the end od December so I'm sure I'll find it there.

njean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 njean777
Member since 2007 • 3807 Posts
its a great game IMO. it was my first silent hill and i enjoyed it. Its about 8-10 hours long depending how you play it. Combat is a lot better i guess according to most people.
makchady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 makchady
Member since 2007 • 1286 Posts

very very linear game. i cannot stress that enough. the graphics are decent, but not amazing. it's not nearly as scary as other games in this genre, not even psychologically scary. the story is engaging enough to keep you interested but doesnt really pick up full fledged until the end. the new combat works well, and the puzzles are often either too easy or just annoying.

overall, im a fan of silent hill, and this is essentially the same silent hill game we have been playing for the past 10 years or so just now with a much better camera and better combat. i regret buying the game simply because now i may not have enough money for better games like far cry 2, fable 2, and dead space, but if this had come out in say march or some time where there werent a bunch of better games i would say it is worth a buy.

in the end, i give the game a 7.8 for doing nothing truly wrong, but not excelling really. it kept my interest but i wont be saying that it is a great game and one of my favorites. hope that helps

makchady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 makchady
Member since 2007 • 1286 Posts
and sorry i forgot i was on the ps3 boards, so there are better games like resistance 2, motorstorm pacific rim, and little big planet to buy instead.
newhighscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 newhighscore
thanx guys. there seems to be more positive feelings than negative about this title and i was a big fan of the first (like i stated) just trying to weigh my decisions. with limited money and so many games coming out in the next few months it really comes down to which ones are truly worth my dollars. i welcome and encourage all feedback both positive and negative. so, if there are any ppl that read this and feel they could add something that wasnt already previously mentioned that would be great. thanx again and happy gaming.
True-Legend86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 True-Legend86
Member since 2007 • 1268 Posts

I have played Silent Hill 1-4 and am pleased to say with Homecoming, they've kept the creepiness and foggy atmosphere, if your a fan of the other silent hills then this one is no different. The combat system is revamped but with originality.

The puzzles aren't too difficult, most important of all - its a Silent Hill game, nothing out of the ordinary....

Its worth picking up.....