The Official PSP Go Discussion Thread - KEEP IT HERE

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Notice: Mods have given permission for me to make this thread.

Mods: Feel free to edit this post if you find it necessary to do so.

Why do I need to post here?

As soon as the early Qore June episode (see below) and other news sites reported confirmation that the PSP Go IS real, this forum has suddenly exploded with all kinds of topics related to the Go. It's literally taking up most of the first few pages of topics, and as such, mods have already started to take action. So, the mods have decided to make this sticky specifically for this reason, so please keep all discussion here.

Any threads created that relate to the PSP Go WILL BE LOCKED, and TCs of topics created after the time of this post may also face moderation.

PSP Go Specs

• 3.8" screen
  • 16 GB onboard flash memory. This can be upgradable with the use of micro Memory Stick cards.
  • Bluetooth capabilities
  • 43% weight reduction
  • No UMD drive
  • The buttons are slide-out
  • All games are download-only from the Playstation Network.
  • Only 1 analog stick.
  • It is an ALTERNATIVE to the 3000, meaning the current PSPs will NOT go away, and they will continute to make games on UMD.

"It won't replace the PSP-3000. We're going to keep them both on the market." --Gamespot articleJohn Koller

Colors: Black and white.

What games will there be avaliable at launch?

There will be 16,000 pieces of DLC avaliable at launch. This includes PSN exclusives, PSP Minis, UMD Legacy, TV shows, movies, and more. All future titles (including titles launching alongside the Go like Gran Turismo) will be avaliable on both PSN and UMD at the same time, although it is unknown if users will have to wait until Thursday of each week to download the week's new releases.

What is the pricing for content?

New PSP titles released on the PSN may be around $40. Older PSP titles being released may have varied price. PS One clas*ics are $6-10.

If I already have a PSP, can I convert my UMDs to digital copies?

The short answer is NO. Sony was originally looking into the idea, but due to "legal and technical reasons" the idea was scrapped for now.

Are there any special offers/bundles?

Yes. For the US, you get a special voucher for Rock Band Unplugged Lite, which comes with 5 full songs and lets you download more from the PSN.

EU gets a voucher for Gran Turismo. (There is a Grand Turismo bundle for US, but it includes the PSP-3000 and the UMD version, not the Go.) EU people also have a special offer called PSP Rewards where you can turn 3 of 17 selected titles to digital format. US does NOT get this offer.

Links

G4 The Feed

Photos from G4

Shacknews

Gamespot

Qore June episode video(assuming it's still up)

Kotaku photos(from Eurogamer)

merch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 merch
Member since 2005 • 4235 Posts

specs atm

3.8" screen
43% lighter than previous version
16 GB on-board flash memory
Bluetooth support
No UMD drive
Memory Stick Micro support
Download games and movies via Playstation Store
Single analog stick

and u could put in the what do i put here the psp go an alternative to the psp 3000

and u could put some pictures in the what do i put here :)

Hungry_bunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Hungry_bunny
Member since 2006 • 14293 Posts

Thanks tjoeb. Also, since some people have asked about it

As for the PSP Go supplanting its predecessor, Koller said flatly: "It won't replace the PSP-3000. We're going to keep them both on the market."Gamespot Article

DarkMaster7991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#4 DarkMaster7991
Member since 2006 • 1585 Posts

Thanks tjoeb. Also, since some people have asked about it [QUOTE="Gamespot Article"]As for the PSP Go supplanting its predecessor, Koller said flatly: "It won't replace the PSP-3000. We're going to keep them both on the market."Hungry_bunny

Yeah. Now all the repeated PSP Go thread will proabably die out......hopefully. Anyways I think the PSP Go is a nice option. The only problems I had with was when the rumors suggested sony would DITCH UMD FORMAT. Causing me and many other to belevie they wouldn't support UMD but they will. SO people have no reason to be angry or upset with the PSP Go. IF you don't like it so much then keept or buy a current PSP model like a 3000 or 2000.
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tjoeb123
Well, I at least hope that they'll have some way to copy UMDs to the memory stick or the internal memory, even though it would have to have DRM applied to it.
DarkMaster7991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DarkMaster7991
Well, I at least hope that they'll have some way to copy UMDs to the memory stick or the internal memory, even though it would have to have DRM applied to it.tjoeb123
Yeah I hoped they would have that too. If they make that I would probably get it when it comes otu or when they find a way to do that. Till then I will say playing UMDs on my 2000.
mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts
I'm interested to see what the price is going to be
hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts
I'm interested to see what the price is going to bemfp16
Yah that's the make or break for me, cause I own a psp 1000 (3 years old :)) and I want to upgrade. I just don't know if I want to get the GO or a 2000/3000. The UMD thing is not as big of a deal for me, I don't mind downloading. Haha I called it ugly in another thread, but I guess it isn't bad at all, after watching the video. I just can't see it being under 299.99$, I'm thinking it might be 350.00$ or even 400.00$. I'm crossing my fingers that it's cheaper.
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tjoeb123
[QUOTE="mfp16"]I'm interested to see what the price is going to behockey73
Yah that's the make or break for me, cause I own a psp 1000 (3 years old :)) and I want to upgrade. I just don't know if I want to get the GO or a 2000/3000. The UMD thing is not as big of a deal for me, I don't mind downloading. Haha I called it ugly in another thread, but I guess it isn't bad at all, after watching the video. I just can't see it being under 299.99$, I'm thinking it might be 350.00$ or even 400.00$. I'm crossing my fingers that it's cheaper.

Same here, except I already have a 2000.
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts
so what happens to the games I own on umd ?
DarkMaster7991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DarkMaster7991
so what happens to the games I own on umd ?lbjkurono23
Can't play them. You would need to keep the current PSP. I'm hoping they have a way to convert the UMDs somehow.
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lbjkurono23
[QUOTE="lbjkurono23"]so what happens to the games I own on umd ?DarkMaster7991
Can't play them. You would need to keep the current PSP. I'm hoping they have a way to convert the UMDs somehow.

crap :( I hope they do that too. But still it looks great. and I'm also interested in the battery life , it must be really good :D
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lbjkurono23

off topic I did took the zombie test and I'm a zombie killa :P
Pinkyimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 Pinkyimp
Member since 2006 • 3623 Posts

Somebody mentioned in-store kiosks where you can put your games in a digital format and put on the GO, hopefully there in abundant places like Gamestop's or Eb games and such. But i love this idea of PSP Go, i welcome digital distribution with open arms and i don't have a PSP...so day 1 for me!!
DarkMaster7991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DarkMaster7991
[QUOTE="DarkMaster7991"][QUOTE="lbjkurono23"]so what happens to the games I own on umd ?Pinkyimp

Somebody mentioned in-store kiosks where you can put your games in a digital format and put on the GO, hopefully there in abundant places like Gamestop's or Eb games and such. But i love this idea of PSP Go, i welcome digital distribution with open arms and i don't have a PSP...so day 1 for me!!

Thats sound cool but we don't know if it's true. I will wait till Sony annouces somethign saying that. I would be sold if they let us do that. As much as I love hard copies sometimes it's a pain in the Arse to carry them everywhere. (I usally take 10 games. All diffrent so I wouldn't get bored).
DrFish62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 DrFish62
Member since 2003 • 4973 Posts

I own a PSP with a million UMD games already, and I'm still excited about this new one. I hope they do something with the cross media bar, though, With 16 GB of space, there's potential for a lot of downloaded games. The cross media bar, as it is now, is very inefficient. Unlike on the PS3, the PSP's menu system doesn't allow for folders or groupings under the Games section. Essentially, it's just one giant list of full games, demos, expansions, etc.

BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

Why did they leave out a second thumbstick?

Pinkyimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pinkyimp

BLAS1AN
Because this is not PSP2, its just another PSP based off the same tech, and more for people who like digital distribution. Im getting sick of people talking about a second nub.
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lbjkurono23

BLAS1AN
They're leaving it for the psp2 :D
Mormaso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Mormaso
Member since 2005 • 874 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkMaster7991"][QUOTE="lbjkurono23"]so what happens to the games I own on umd ?Pinkyimp

Do you have source or anything for that? If it's true I'll go sell off my current psp right now.
FILIPINOMAZTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FILIPINOMAZTER
Member since 2008 • 1627 Posts
hope this one will have some good anti piracy protection
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#22 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I feel this is a test for Sony to see how well DD will be adopted. I have a fear t hat if it does well, Sony will stop supporting UMDs altogether. Hasn't anyone been curious as to why they made Patapon 2 availabe only through PSN? I really do'nt like the direction this is going, which is why I won't be buying one. I also think it's extremely ass-backwards for them to make the screen smaller.

martymarshalek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 martymarshalek
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts

So does the Go have the same hardware (cpu, ram, and vram) as the 3000? I like my 3000 as it is (albeit somewhat scratched) so I probably won't rush to get the Go unless it can play better games.

Pinkyimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pinkyimp
[QUOTE="Mormaso"][QUOTE="Pinkyimp"][QUOTE="DarkMaster7991"] Can't play them. You would need to keep the current PSP. I'm hoping they have a way to convert the UMDs somehow.

Do you have source or anything for that? If it's true I'll go sell off my current psp right now.

I cant, but seeing as 99% of games are on UMD disks, there going to need a way to put the existing games on UMD to a digital format, I am sure sony wont take to time to do there ENTIRE catalog, so instead it would make sense to just go to a store and convert them. Another way could be over PSN itself, just enter the serial code and it shows up in your account..There's a million ways to do this.
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Just wondering, what can the PSP GO do that the most recent PSP can not?

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#26 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

I like the idea of the games being all digital but i wonder if the price will reflect this? With all the packaging etc gone surely they are cheaper to publish? I also don't like the idea of the screen being smaller....

DarkMaster7991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DarkMaster7991

Just wondering, what can the PSP GO do that the most recent PSP can not?

gago-gago
Read the thread's fist post and you will see.
Pinkyimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pinkyimp

I like the idea of the games being all digital but i wonder if the price will reflect this? With all the packaging etc gone surely they are cheaper to publish? I also don't like the idea of the screen being smaller....

AzelKosMos
I think its going to be a little cheaper than what people think, no UMD drive, the Screen is a tad smaller (Like .5 of a inch), all of this could mean the product is cheaper.. all i know is. it WON'T be over $300 or $300, and it will be somewhere in the $200 range, i honestly think it will be something like 199 to 250
hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts
[QUOTE="AzelKosMos"]

Pinkyimp
I think its going to be a little cheaper than what people think, no UMD drive, the Screen is a tad smaller (Like .5 of a inch), all of this could mean the product is cheaper.. all i know is. it WON'T be over $300 or $300, and it will be somewhere in the $200 range, i honestly think it will be something like 199 to 250

Hopefully the price is around your suggested range. I honestly like the the whole digital thing as well, it'll be more convenient than having to carry all my UMDs around with me. Hmm I'm not sure about the whole game transfer method thing though; cause wouldn't people just abuse Gamestop's policy with used games and purchase, transfer, than refund their used game purchase, etc. Maybe I just don't get the whole idea, would someone mind explaining the basics of that to me?
FoShizzle17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 FoShizzle17
Member since 2006 • 2170 Posts

I have one question:

Is the PSP Go more powerful than the PSP?? Does it have more RAM and a greater CPU speed so it can play more powerful games? Or is it less powerful for smaller games for short bursts of play? (it seems like it's less powerful)

I'm dying to hear the answer to this. I really want some hardcore console/PC-quality games on my PSP. Unless the ultra-powerful PSP2 will provide that...

KurodaMurasaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KurodaMurasaki
Member since 2008 • 1670 Posts

I'm pretty excited for the PSP GO. With the new emphasis on digital content, Sony will likely start making PSN better. Since they've been updating a week for almost 3 years, I would expect a hell of a library. The selection really sucks for PSP users, and it's only acceptable for PS3 users.

I love the idea of downloadable content, since I like having everything on one system. Instead of lugging around my PSP along with a case of games. I know tons of people love hardware games, so I think it's wise of Sony to give a choice to users.

16GB... That's just nice...

I own a PSP with a million UMD games already, and I'm still excited about this new one. I hope they do something with the cross media bar, though, With 16 GB of space, there's potential for a lot of downloaded games. The cross media bar, as it is now, is very inefficient. Unlike on the PS3, the PSP's menu system doesn't allow for folders or groupings under the Games section. Essentially, it's just one giant list of full games, demos, expansions, etc.

DrFish62

I agree. With the new emphasis on downloadable titles, it would only make sense if they implemented a folder/sorting option like the PS3. Having you're entire library in a pile is just odd.

digimonkey12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 digimonkey12
Member since 2009 • 1851 Posts
hope this one will have some good anti piracy protectionFILIPINOMAZTER
As a PSP fanboy I hope the best for the PSP but if the PSP Go doesnt get a good a piracy protection it is doomed for shure.
Hungry_bunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Hungry_bunny

I have one question:

Is the PSP Go more powerful than the PSP?? Does it have more RAM and a greater CPU speed so it can play more powerful games? Or is it less powerful for smaller games for short bursts of play? (it seems like it's less powerful)

I'm dying to hear the answer to this. I really want some hardcore console/PC-quality games on my PSP. Unless the ultra-powerful PSP2 will provide that...

FoShissle17

As I've understood it, the PSP GO will not be more powerful than the PSP-3000. And it will have a slightly smaller screen. But we can't be sure about any of that until the press conference.
PSP GO vs PSP-3000 and iPhone Comparison
Link to source of pic.

KurodaMurasaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KurodaMurasaki

[QUOTE="FoShissle17"]

I have one question:

Hungry_bunny

As I've understood it, the PSP GO will not be more powerful than the PSP-3000. And it will have a slightly smaller screen. But we can't be sure about any of that until the press conference.
PSP GO vs PSP-3000 and iPhone Comparison
Link to source of pic.

Well this is what Koller says the main differences are:

"on-board memory, the flash memory, and 16 gigs of space. There's Bluetooth on board as well, so you can use a Bluetooth headset, and you can actually tether it to your cell phone as well. But ultimately, it's the portability. Since you can bring all that content with you in a smaller form factor, you've got the most immersive games to play, and now you've got a smaller unit to do it with."

The screen is smaller by 0.5. Plus without the power-hungry UMD tray, it would make sense to expect the battery to last longer.

I'm just speculating, of course.

Hungry_bunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Hungry_bunny

"on-board memory, the flash memory, and 16 gigs of space. There's Bluetooth on board as well, so you can use a Bluetooth headset, and you can actually tether it to your cell phone as well. But ultimately, it's the portability. Since you can bring all that content with you in a smaller form factor, you've got the most immersive games to play, and now you've got a smaller unit to do it with."

The screen is smaller by 0.5. Plus without the power-hungry UMD tray, it would make sense to expect the battery to last longer.

KurodaMurasaki

Yeah, now I remember reading that in the article, it really does seem like they only differ in a few non-game related features... unless the bluetooth can be used for some unrevealed peripheral in the future >_>

Longer battery time is definitely a possibility.

kiddoom93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 kiddoom93
Member since 2006 • 838 Posts

do you need a ps3 to download games for the psp-go if so they will lose a lot numbers from the 1st psp because not everyone has a ps3 and why do people want dual analouge so much

KurodaMurasaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KurodaMurasaki

[QUOTE="KurodaMurasaki"]

Hungry_bunny

Yeah, now I remember reading that in the article, it really does seem like they only differ in a few non-game related features... unless the bluetooth can be used for some unrevealed peripheral in the future >_>

Longer battery time is definitely a possibility.

Yeah they could have a larger array of peripherals. It'd be awesome if you could tether it with the PS3 controller.

do you need a ps3 to download games for the psp-go if so they will lose a lot numbers from the 1st psp because not everyone has a ps3 and why do people want dual analouge so much

kiddoom93

No, you download directly from the PSP. You can download from the PC or the PS3 though.

Avatar image for Ryusuke_Akihiro
Ryusuke_Akihiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ryusuke_Akihiro
Member since 2007 • 425 Posts

I'm sure sony is only going to keep both PSP's on the market until there are enough PSP games available for download on PSN. Then they will most likely ditch UMD for good. Sony plans for the future, not the present. The Go! is just the first step to getting to "digital distribution only"

I like the size and weight of the Go but it's disappointing to me that we're still stuck using cell phone text input... other than that I guess I'm excited for it... sorta...

Itach123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Itach123
Member since 2007 • 950 Posts

If this comes in the market wont the other psp's be cheaper?

knightsofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 knightsofwar
Member since 2006 • 956 Posts

The PSP Go is a big fat ugly peice of wasted plastic, I am not getting one.

Pinkyimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Pinkyimp

If this comes in the market wont the other psp's be cheaper?

Itach123
Well its being released along side the 3000, so probably not, as the Go dosn't offer anything brand new to the PSP, just a different take on the same hardware. And i also think the go has to be priced around the same as the 3000 to be competitive, otherwise people will just buy the 3000
Naikori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Naikori
Member since 2008 • 565 Posts

The little detail that makes me think that the PSP Go is going to fail is the No UMD Drive. It will save battery, but might be a bad idea for PSP owners that have tons of UMD's.

Pinkyimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Pinkyimp

The little detail that makes me think that the PSP Go is going to fail is the No UMD Drive. It will save battery, but might be a bad idea for PSP owners that have tons of UMD's.

Naikori
Again, sony is going to find a way to convert them, there not just going to have a bunch of games from 2005 unplayable, that would severely limit the GO user base, they will come up with some way to change them to a digital format.
DarkMaster7991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DarkMaster7991
[QUOTE="Pinkyimp"][QUOTE="Naikori"]

Again, sony is going to find a way to convert them, there not just going to have a bunch of games from 2005 unplayable, that would severely limit the GO user base, they will come up with some way to change them to a digital format.

Plus it's an option. Still making UMDs for 3000 users. Go is for DD users. thats it. It won't fail if it's users are what it's meant for. Digital Download.
Ameotoko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ameotoko
Member since 2007 • 206 Posts

[QUOTE="Pinkyimp"][QUOTE="Naikori"]

DarkMaster7991

Plus it's an option. Still making UMDs for 3000 users. Go is for DD users. thats it. It won't fail if it's users are what it's meant for. Digital Download.

I agree, it's simply an alternative. Personally, I think dropping the UMD is a great idea as I have no love of the format. If it really does increase battery life that would be great, but those of us that already play games strictly from the stick dl'd from the PSN experience that boost in battery anyway, so no change there.

I very much doubt Sony would just abandon the current player base if they chose to upgrade to the Go (if they do, somebody up there needs to get fired. Now). All they'd have to do is have a trade-in offer: trade in your UMDs for online PSN vouchers of the same game. That way, it gets the UMDs out of the way without shortchanging the player base. For selling these games, you could do what Patapon 2 did: get on the PSN and get it or buy the voucher and get the box (which pleases the box enthusiasts)

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

A picture I got from Kotaku.com

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#48 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

I do not own a PSP, and i want something to really complement my PS3 - which i'm playing a lot more lately. The idea of using my PSP like my iPod, along with the ability of Remote Play.

more then anything else, i wanna know price points, i wanna know the full PSP game line up. Which we don't know fully yet. this may very well completely blow away my DS Lite, which has been collecting dust, as Nintendo moves farther and farther away from the hardcore gamers and focusing on more casual/non-video game 'games'.

KurodaMurasaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 KurodaMurasaki

I do not own a PSP, and i want something to really complement my PS3 - which i'm playing a lot more lately. The idea of using my PSP like my iPod, along with the ability of Remote Play.

more then anything else, i wanna know price points, i wanna know the full PSP game line up. Which we don't know fully yet. this may very well completely blow away my DS Lite, which has been collecting dust, as Nintendo moves farther and farther away from the hardcore gamers and focusing on more casual/non-video game 'games'.

SaudiFury

It may blow away the DS Lite, but the way it is, it's going to be completely impossible to beat the DSi. The DS Lite may be collecting dust, but only because the DSi just came out.

I'm sure there won't be anywhere near the hype for the PSP Go as the DSi. Since so far people have just been bashing the Go. Of course it hasn't even been officially announced.

riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 riariases
Member since 2007 • 2335 Posts
Wow, I should spend more time in PSP forums instead of so much in the DS forum. Difference: The new DSi is announced. Instead of everyone being overjoyed, half of the fans say "Holy crap! A third installment?! I don't need two cameras." Then the PSP Go is announced "Oh sweet. Can't wait" from basically everyone. Way more united here. Anyways, I really wanna get the PSP Go but if its anywhere over $300.00, a price cut will be due in a couple months so I may have to wait. Better sell my PSP 3000 soon before word gets out and it sells for basically nothing then.