Survery for the PS3 owners (Please take)

• 158 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

The Yellow Light of Death (YLOD) is a problem that has been plaguing people and their PS3's. It seems to be a problem with system, where upon turning the system on, rather than getting the green light, the system has a yellow light and automatically shuts down, or something to that effect.

I'm curious as to why people are getting the YLOD, and I want to do whatever I can to avoid it, so I've comprised a few questions for you guys to answer to see if there's any sort of trend in the data. A science experiment, if you will.

A simple "Yes" or "No" answer will suffice, except for the short answer questions, which should only require a few words.

Hopefully this helps you guys out, too. (Thiscan also be applied to the"Disk Read Error" problem.)

1) Have you ever had the YLOD?
2) How often do you play your PS3 on an average day? (let the day be Saturday)
3) Are you meticulous about how you handle discs? (fingerprints, scratches, lying them upside down on surfaces, etc.)
4) Do you leave discs in the tray when the console is off or not in use?
5) What's your current firmware?
6) Which PS3 model do you have and for how long have you had it?
7) Does your PS3 have breathing room?
8 ) In your living room/bedroom set up, where is the PS3 located?
9) Do you clean the surface often?
10) How many hours in a week do you play online, if at all?
11) Do you download full games from the store?
12) Was your PS3 bricked by the 2.4 update?
13) Has your console ever been on for longer than 12 hours?
14) Have you ever gotten the "3 beeps"?
15) Have any of your games crashed on the PS3 at all, requiring you to reset the console?

BONUS: Did you buy MGS4? :P

And that's all.

Note: I'm not expecting this to compeltely solve the problem.

It's just that there have been people who make threads about bricked/broken consoles that seemingly happen overnight, and I was just hoping we could at least see some kind of trend. Maybe.

Thanks, and have a nice day! :)

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Scianix-Black

1) No
2) 5-6 hours
3) Very
4) Yes, bad habit
5) 2.5
6) 80GB, since Christmas 2007
7) It's on my big screen, out in the open
8 ) On the TV
9) Every other week or so
10) 10-15 hours
11) Yes
12) No, I got lucky
13) Only once
14) It seems to happen every other day
15) A couple

BONUS: Yeah :P

oscar530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 oscar530
Member since 2005 • 4430 Posts

1.) No

2.) Depends on whether I'm going out or not, but usually I get around 4-5 hours on Saturday

3.) No

4.) Yes

5.) 2.50

6.) 80GB and since last Christmas

7.) Yes

8.) Living Room

9.) Yes with Swifter Wipes

10.) 18-20 Hours

11.) No

12.) No

13.) Yes

14.) No

15.) No

*BONUS* Yes

fnd461

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 fnd461
Member since 2005 • 179 Posts

Not yet, hope I will never get it, I'm broke from buying my PS3 as it is.

6 or more hours if I have nothing to do.

3) Are you meticulous about how you handle discs? (fingerprints, scratches, lying them upside down on surfaces, etc.)
Yes, VERY METICULOUS.

No, I'm afraid of the rare occurence of the PS3 not being able to eject the disc cause of some software failure. Therefore, I take it out after playing each time.

40GB, one of the last surviving ones, kinda regret after knowing that the 80GB was released just 3 weeks after.

Yeah, not that much, cause when I feel the wall, it's warm.

Bedroom. :D

So far yes, I do clean it when I see it's dusty.

4 hours, or more when I have a fun time.

Don't have the chance to this yet.

Nah. Never bricked. It's a fighter.

Yes, definitely. The recent FIFA 09 has me playing more than I can handle.

Remembered the console jamming and giving me beeps. Didn't count though.

15) Have any of your games crashed on the PS3 at all, requiring you to reset the console?
Yeah, a few rare times. Especially recently when I went on a FIFA 09 frenzy. But after that, it's alright.

BONUS: Did you buy MGS4?
OF COURSE.

And I know why you love to look at your sig, I am loving the sig too. Just that, most of the time Lucy just appears abit.....hmm high british person:D

Achaean728

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Achaean728
Member since 2007 • 459 Posts

1) No

2) 2-3 hours

3) Yes, very.

4) No.

5) 2.50

6) The newer 80gb, got it back at the beginning of September.

7) Yup, its got plenty.

8) Living room.

9) Yes, I clean it probably once a week.

10) 2-4 hours online.

11) I've downloaded a couple.

12) Nope.

13) No.

14) 3 beeps? Nope.

15) No game has ever crashed (knock on wood)

BONUS: Yes. It was the first game I bought for the PS3 :D

Avatar image for Ultrabeatdown55
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ultrabeatdown55
Member since 2008 • 15314 Posts

I'm curious as to why people are getting the YLOD, and I want to do whatever I can to avoid it, so I've comprised a few questions for you guys to answer to see if there's any sort of trend in the data. A science experiment, if you will.

A simple "Yes" or "No" answer will suffice, except for the short answer questions, which should only require a few words.

Hopefully this helps you guys out, too.

And that's all.

Note: I'm not expecting this to compeltely solve the problem.

It's just that there have been people who make threads about bricked/broken consoles that seemingly happen overnight, and I was just hoping we could at least see some kind of trend. Maybe.

Thanks, and have a nice day! :)

Scianix-Black

1. No.

2. 3-5 hours

3. I handle my discs with care. No fingerprints

4. No

5. 2.50

6. Gun-metal Gray MGS4 40GB

7. Yes

8. I have a play room actually

9. Yes

10. 10-15

11. Yes

12. No

13. No

14. Yes, but only once, when exiting the LBP beta. Happened every time

15. No

BONUS: Yes

TehSonofUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TehSonofUgly
Member since 2008 • 1643 Posts
1) No

2) i'd average it around 3 hrs

3) Very, i pick them up with my finger in the hole and after im done playin that game it gets put back into the case.

4) yep, there is always a game in my ps3

5) 2.50

6)80gb MotorStorm Bundle

7) Yep, i used to have it somewhat cramped and it would freeze so now i keep it in a wide open area

8 ) Living room its next to my tv on a stand, sam with in my bedroom

9) Prolly not often enough

10) It differs greatly

11) Just PAIN and SSHD

12) Nope

13) yes, 24 hrs once

14) Yes i do, whenever exiting some demos/betas

15)Yeah when my PS3 was in a cramped area, problem hasnt happened since

BONUS: Yes =D

UOducks521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 UOducks521
Member since 2007 • 1005 Posts
1.) No
2.) 2 hours tops
3.) Very meticulous
4.) Yes
5.) 2.5
6.) 60GB since launch
7.) Yes
8.) 2nd shelf of entertainment center
9.) Nope
10.) Between 2-6 hours.
11.) No
12.) No
13.) Yes, 14 hours.
14.) Yes
15.) 1
Avatar image for kenshinhimura10
kenshinhimura10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 kenshinhimura10
Member since 2008 • 555 Posts
1) Have you ever had the YLOD? No, I just make sure to remove the disc when updating, and I avoid dust, and heat as much as possible (I clean it once every 2 weeks, when Im cleaning my PC)

2) How often do you play your PS3 on an average day? (let the day be Saturday) On week days, with luck, 1-2 hours (work and university). On weekends, 5+ hours per day, unless Im going out, or Im close to the mid terms.

3) Are you meticulous about how you handle discs? (fingerprints, scratches, lying them upside down on surfaces, etc.) Have always been like that. I treat them as if they were gold. And I avoid getting them close to heating surfaces or dust as much as possible.

4) Do you leave discs in the tray when the console is off or not in use? Always. Never had a problem with that. Though I dont have Auto-Start on

5) What's your current firmware? 2.50. Never experienced though any issue with the past FW.

6) Which PS3 model do you have and for how long have you had it? 80Gb Motorstorm LE. Since September 9th 2007

7) Does your PS3 have breathing room? Yes, its one of my main concerns to leave space for the consoles to breath since I realised that the PS2 and NGC had vents.

8 ) In your living room/bedroom set up, where is the PS3 located? In my TV table, with 50 cm of space in the back, and more than 30cm on each side. The position is horizontal.

9) Do you clean the surface often? Daily, I use first an air compressor to remove the bigger dust, then a furniture wax in gel and if not, just a silk cloth with glasses liquid. (I avoid using both of this methods close to dangerous places, normally I wet the cloth a little and wipe the surface)

10) How many hours in a week do you play online, if at all? Not much, with luck, 5-7 hours. Not much of an online gamer.

11) Do you download full games from the store? Until they removed the support for entropay cards, yes, I Dl GT5P, Wild Arms and Bionic. I was planning to DL Siren though.

12) Was your PS3 bricked by the 2.4 update? No

13) Has your console ever been on for longer than 12 hours? As long as 48 continuos hours with no problem, no slow down nor overheating.

14) Have you ever gotten the "3 beeps"? Yes, whenever I have to reset the console due to a freeze in Assassins Creed or Uncharted, sometimes the web browser may freeze to.

15) Have any of your games crashed on the PS3 at all, requiring you to reset the console? Assassins Creed and Uncharted are the only games that have crushed on my console.

BONUS: Did you buy MGS4? :P Collectors Edition Man XD

ChiSoxBombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ChiSoxBombers
Member since 2006 • 3700 Posts
1) Nope.
2) 4-5 hours
3) Very, very meticulous-no one touches my disks except me.
4) Never
5) 2.5
6) 60GB, since Release 2006
7) two feet in the back and a worlds-worth of space on its sides
8 ) above the TV
9) once a month (im not a dedicated cleaner)
10) 10-20 hours
11) Yes (6)
12) No thank god
13) Once-i fell asleep
14) Often - it annoys me
15) I've had to reset my system 4 times over the past 3 days (thanks, SOCOM)

BONUS: Ohhhh yeaaahh

EmyrsII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 EmyrsII
Member since 2008 • 286 Posts

no

Saturdays? 4-5hours

yes, not one scratch in 14 hardcopy titles.

yes

60 gig, 1.5 yrs

somewhat... its on a shelf in a bookcase.. only the back and of course bottom are air flow restricted. sides have about 8 inches on each side.

underneath 46in HD TV inside a bookshelf sides are vented.

ill wipe off the dust every week or so

well now im playing online more since socom came out... but maybe 7hrs a week average?

a few.. monsters, eden, wipeout, everyday shooter, stardust.... cant wait for fat princess!!!

nope. was updated as soon as it was released.

yes, ive had a few dvd marathons and gameplay marathons but it is not the norm to be on over 12 hours.. most recent is the LBP beta.

i havent counted beeps but i have gotten freezes before..

LBP Beta, SOCOM, Wipeout HD, GTA4, Heavenly Sword

yes. and i love it.

marcl18123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 marcl18123
Member since 2006 • 2050 Posts

1. Nope

2. On my off days prolly like 5+ hrs on play time, but if it already on and i plan on playin later i leave it on (like when i nap lol)

3. at first, but it really depends on the game..... i left a couple game just around, still work tho

4. yeah, prolly all the time

5. im current :)

6. 60GB, BC FTW

7. yup, plenty of it

8. in my room on my room, beside my TV

9. no, im lazy

10. im always online, but only play maybe 20hrs a week, and i use wifi

11. PSN games? yeah i got lots

12. nope, even tho i update with the "bad version"

13. yup my internet is not the fastest so i leave it on if i have to download something big

14. couple of times, i kno i did in AC and in home beta and maybe other times i dont remember

15. AC and Home Beta froze big time, needin a restart

Bonus: nope, dont own it, nor have i ever play it

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Scianix-Black

Excellent. Lots of responses makes for more accurate data.

I'm reading every single one of these answers, so don't think I'm not!

:D

grenadesaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 grenadesaway
Member since 2008 • 44 Posts

good stuff man, but first off you shouldn't have used ylod, unless you actually explain what it stands for -yellow light of death, a play on rrod for the 360, of which one of my 360's gets now and then -I just power it off and on again, and it seems to work. - for the ps3 it seems to happen, how? and that's what your survey should have included in asking. date of manufacturing, how set up -flat, vertical- sounds it makes!, etc...I wanted to do this too -survey- for the 360, but didn't go through with it, so hopefully more than me get to reply.

anyway, here you are:

1ylod had- nope, not until I saw your thread. and now, going to google, I see it's not uncommon. I have had games freeze on me, and even had to reformat my hard drive -twice now- it gives the message it has to do it, and makes me have to go through with it.. it all comes back to normal, but so far not many people have had THAT happen to them...I have heard weird sounds, hard sounds, coming from inside the ps3 as it reads the disc and plays it, but so far it's frozen only on online gaming -army of two, blazing angels, and started actually with GRID. the first game to freeze my ps3 while online...

2average playtime -about 5-6 hours daily. nonstop. mostly online: rv2, army of two, cod4...I've been online since about may2008, wireless then -most problems, and now wired, not so much if not at all- other than army2 freezing or disconnecting...

3Handling discs- I try. but I do leave them out, ontop of other discs, cases, etc sometimes, collecting dust -not a good thing I know... but mostly they're in their case. I try to clean them too, so no smudges as they go in

4disc in console when off- sometimes, but not usually. usually I eject em right after play.

5firmware -2.5. the only time I thought that it was messed up w/ frimware was with 2.01 or the one with the new trophy blah, that was when it froze on me with GRID...and later blazing angels -mind you these are only the demos.

6ps3 model and long had -mine is the 40 gig, since 11 2006 I believe...actually, don't know. probably earlier model.

7breathing room -I try to give it, lies flat, on my tv actually, next to my 360, but I have a fan about a foot or so away that I turn on if I play more than 5 hours, don't think it helps, but I try...it does get hot though -although not as hot as my 360...

8in room/set up- on top of my tv, flat, not close to window, but near, the fan helps with air push, but not much....

9clean surface- i like it shiny black, so yeah, I try to get rid of any dust. but it still settles on the panel, top,

10online play- well, about 5 or 6 a day, so about 30 to 40 in a week...yeah...

11dwnlded games- only pje, last guy, demos, lots of videos though, and pictures... some cd songs on there.

12bricked by 2.4- don't think so, at least not forever. it did freeze and that hard drive reformat thing..and that hard sound of reading the disc, don't recall that happening when I got it....

13longer 12hours- no.

143 beeps- um, yeah I thnk so, but that's when it froze and I had to restart it -either unplugged it, or hit power switch -the ps button didn't work, nor the console button...

15crashed games- disc games- army of two; demos grid, blazing angels, and often when I'm online and downloading videos or doing more than one thing at once...usually online. but I have mgs4, but haven't really played it, so.... not gta 4 either...so don't know if these games'll do it.

well, there you go, hopefully more people will read this, and your thread to start something, cause it's a good idea. people that laugh about it are f-d in the head in my opinion, cause it's not cool. like laughing at someone crash into a pole or something...anyway, if you get replies post the average of the answers- either on your blog or another thread -better if on your blog. good luck.

EmyrsII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 EmyrsII

Scianix-Black

do you have any statistical knowledge Scianix? if you throw together a spreadsheet of the data i can run a few quick regressions in ANOVA or SPSS to see if there are any true significant trends. but youll need a larger population sampling... and anything we do get is likely to be skewed regardless. its still interesting none the less.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Scianix-Black

good stuff man, but first off you shouldn't have used ylod, unless you actually explain what it stands for -yellow light of death, a play on rrod for the 360, of which one of my 360's gets now and then -I just power it off and on again, and it seems to work. - for the ps3 it seems to happen, how? and that's what your survey should have included in asking. date of manufacturing, how set up -flat, vertical- sounds it makes!, etc...I wanted to do this too -survey- for the 360, but didn't go through with it, so hopefully more than me get to reply.

grenadesaway

Ah, yeah, you're right.

The console position question was actually one of my original questions when I first thought of this, but I had forgotten about it when I was typing up the actual 'survey.'

As for the YLOD, I'm pretty sure most already know, but I'll edit for those who don't.

And thanks for your input, guys.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Scianix-Black
[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

EmyrsII

do you have any statistical knowledge Scianix? if you throw together a spreadsheet of the data i can run a few quick regressions in ANOVA or SPSS to see if there are any true significant trends. but youll need a larger population sampling... and anything we do get is likely to be skewed regardless. its still interesting none the less.

Actually, no. No statistical knowledge at all, lol.

I was just doing this in the hopes that I could see some kind of connection between how people handle their PS3's and whether or not they get 3 beeps, YLOD, freezing issues, abnormal sounds, etc.

hsaitou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hsaitou
Member since 2005 • 243 Posts
1-no

2- 2-3 hours

3-Yes, specially for fingerprints.

4-Yes

5-2.5

6-60gig, since July 2007

7-yes, a lot.

8-under my TV in a shelf

9-Yes

10- 6 hours, and only warhawk

11-NO

12-NO

13-Yes, folding

14- yes, once, after playing assassins creed

15- Assassins Creed once, Warhawk four times and one time in GTA.

Bonus: I'm planning on buying it once the price drop a little, since I'm not a big fan of the MGS series.
EmyrsII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 EmyrsII
its a good idea.. and the questions you asked are fairly explainitory for yold problems, though there could be many, many other factors... but ya, ill keep an eye on the topic.. i dont think there will be a siginificant response in regards to the amount of ps3s on the market, but it should be interesting within the gamespot population. good thread ^-^!
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Scianix-Black

Thanks! :)

Games that seem to be crashing consoles so far are demos and multi-plats, but there's not enough answers to know yet.

lol, I wish I had a bigger population. :P

I might record data and observations in this poll, then do another one down the line with different questions.

Ryuk-Shinigami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ryuk-Shinigami
Member since 2008 • 630 Posts

1) Have you ever had the YLOD? NO
2) How often do you play your PS3 on an average day? (let the day be Saturday) Less then a during the week 2-3 h
3) Are you meticulous about how you handle discs? (fingerprints, scratches, lying them upside down on surfaces, etc.) Yes
4) Do you leave discs in the tray when the console is off or not in use? Yes
5) What's your current firmware? 2.5
6) Which PS3 model do you have and for how long have you had it? 80Gb 3nhalf months
7) Does your PS3 have breathing room? Yes
8 ) In your living room/bedroom set up, where is the PS3 located? living on biggest screen at home
9) Do you clean the surface often? do you mean the layser or just clean dust off it.dust it every other day,layser 1 weekly
10) How many hours in a week do you play online, if at all? 30
11) Do you download full games from the store? just 2 well kind do LiS and Pain count if so Yes
13) Has your console ever been on for longer than 12 hours? Yes during MGS4 Chiken Emblem
14) Have you ever gotten the "3 beeps"? No
15) Have any of your games crashed on the PS3 at all, requiring you to reset the console? No

BONUS: Did you buy MGS4? got the bundle

EYEInferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 EYEInferno
Member since 2003 • 530 Posts
1) Have you ever had the YLOD? [color=red]No[/color] 2) How often do you play your PS3 on an average day? (let the day be Saturday) [color=red]Around 3 hours, depends on the day, school etc.[/color] 3) Are you meticulous about how you handle discs? (fingerprints, scratches, lying them upside down on surfaces, etc.) [color=red]Yes, extremely[/color] 4) Do you leave discs in the tray when the console is off or not in use? [color=red]Yes[/color] 5) What's your current firmware? [color=red]2.50[/color] 6) Which PS3 model do you have and for how long have you had it? [color=red]40GB, 6 Months[/color] 7) Does your PS3 have breathing room? [color=red]Yes[/color] 8 ) In your living room/bedroom set up, where is the PS3 located? [color=red]Next to my Sony HDTV, on the table[/color] 9) Do you clean the surface often? [color=red]No[/color] 10) How many hours in a week do you play online, if at all? [color=red]All playing currently is online (Warhawk)[/color] 11) Do you download full games from the store? [color=red]No, no credit card[/color] 12) Was your PS3 bricked by the 2.4 update? [color=red]No[/color] 13) Has your console ever been on for longer than 12 hours? [color=red]Yes[/color] 14) Have you ever gotten the "3 beeps"? [color=red]No[/color] 15) Have any of your games crashed on the PS3 at all, requiring you to reset the console? [color=red]No[/color] BONUS: Did you buy MGS4? [color=red]Yes :)[/color]
kar008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kar008
Member since 2004 • 526 Posts

1: nope.

2: exams going on then msg4 but not more than 4 hours.

3: very meticulous, no ps2 discs and other crap only BD inside ps3 thats it.

4: sometimes lol when i forgot.

5: 2.43 not update 2.5 until its safe.

6: ps3 80gb new model

7: yes lots but i am scared to put vertical.

8: Bedroom.

9: yes, with soft cloth like u get when buying specs, and vacumm slow speed in vents sometimes.

10: 2 or 3 hours resistance only will do warhawk.

11: Crap.

12: 2.43.

13: i wont do that not more than 4 hours.

14: nope lol.

15: yes because of uncharted at a specific level but that was a bug not my ps3 everyone had it i think.

Bonus: of course omg. :P

Mujambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mujambo
Member since 2007 • 1039 Posts
1) No 2) 5 hours of play, maybe 15 for folding@home 3) Hell yeah, for all discs (DVD, Blu-ray, CDs) 4) I leave it in the ps3 - not a tray 5) 2.50 - always up to date 6) 60gb model with 320gb hd - had for about a year and a half 7) Yes 8 ) On a wooden table slightly in front of the TV 9) No, occasionally 10) Almost all my gaming time right now 11) I download games you can't buy on disc 12) No, see question 1 13) Yes, I think my record is probably around 3 weeks 14) Only from doing a hard reset 15) Yes, but I can count the crashes on two hands
jtickner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jtickner
Member since 2005 • 499 Posts

The '"Yellow Light of Death" is a HDD related problem, either the HDD has failed or become loose, not a problem with the system itself, regardless of that, I'll do your survey anyway, oh and it's hardly a plague.

1) No
2) 3 - 4 hours
3) Yes, very
4) Not usually
5) 2.50
6) 60GB PS3 bought in Australia November 2007
7) Yes, always
8 ) On my desk, to the right of my monitor
9) Yes
10) It varies greatly
11) Yes
12) No, I downloaded the first release.
13) No, but a number close to that, maybe 8 or 10
14) I get it frequently
15) Yes, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 has done it a few times and Uncharted once

kar008

May I ask why you think a PS2 or any other form of DVD type disc is going to harm your PS3?

malka1607

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 malka1607
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

1. No YLOD yet

2. Prob 20 Hrs a week so about 3 hrs a day on ave

3. Yer VERY METICULOUS

4. Yer most of the time, bad habit gotta get out of it, jus so lazy now i can turn on and play from bed

5. 2.50

6. Aust 60gb, Since 23rd March 2007 date of release downunder

7. Sort of, not in a cabinet jus lying horizontal on a cabinet but still feels hot after a decent gaming session

8. sorta answered it in previous question but jus on top of a cabinet in bedroom , i give it as much room as i can

9. not often enough, probably once a week

10. 5-10 depends on what i playing at the time

11. Yer and no, full games as in warhawk gt5 prologue and burnout, no but new ratchet expansion or PJM etc yer

12. wasnt fast enuf, sony took it off before i could dl so no, no bricking for me even if i wanted to try

13. yer quite a few times

14. yes? LOL i dunno if u mean the 3 beeps wen u hold down the power button that resets the video output or not but if some other 3 beeps then no

15. no, not from memory

BTW i work at an eb and the only defective ones we have ever get are 40gb dunno if it helps but good luck anyway:)

king_bobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 king_bobo
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts

1) No, and have never heard of it.
2) 5 to 8 hours
3) YES!
4) Yes - all the time, I pretty much only play Warhawk.
5) 2.5 (I think) - the newest one, anyway.
6) 40 GB, for only about 5 months: I only just missed out on the 80GB!
7) Errm. Sort of.
8 ) Just lying on the floor, waiting to trip someone up infront of the TV.
9) Yes. It gets dusty so easily!
10) Probably around 15-20, all on Warhawk, but this will probably soon become Resistance 2 or LBP.
11) No.
12) No.
13) I'm not sure, probably a max of 10 hours, if that.
14) I'm going to say no, because I've never even heard of it.
15) Only once - Warhawk, and I think that was because of my Internet.

Hope that helps :D

GranReyUno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 GranReyUno
Member since 2007 • 1542 Posts

1) Have you ever had the YLOD? No
2) How often do you play your PS3 on an average day? 4-5 hrs
3) Are you meticulous about how you handle discs? Yes
4) Do you leave discs in the tray when the console is off or not in use? Yes
6) Which PS3 model do you have and for how long have you had it? 60gb SKU, 1yr and 2 months
8 ) In your living room/bedroom set up, where is the PS3 located? On my TV stand.
9) Do you clean the surface often? Yes
10) How many hours in a week do you play online, if at all? 8-10 hrs
11) Do you download full games from the store? No... Wait does Wipeout HD count?
13) Has your console ever been on for longer than 12 hours? Yes(72 hrs)
14) Have you ever gotten the "3 beeps"? Once in a while.
15) Have any of your games crashed on the PS3 at all, requiring you to reset the console? Happened a few times.

BONUS: Did you buy MGS4? Yes

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#29 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts

1.No

2.2-5hours[sometimes more]

3.yes

4.Hell no

6.40 gig,about five months now

7.Yes

8.On a tower,on the second shelf.Plenty of space between shelfs

9.ever two days

10.2-5 hours

11.No.But I want to

12.No

13.No

14.Yes

15.Battlefield bad company

BONUS.My Girlfriend did for me.

infidexus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 infidexus
Member since 2007 • 194 Posts

No

6-8 Hours

Yes, always handle the outside edge of the disc and I always put it back in the original case.

Almost always.

60 GB - 1 year and 1 month

Sort of - have to leave the door open on the entertainment center when playing otherwise the fans run at max and it sounds like a jet taking off.

Living Room

Whenever it starts to look dusty, every other month or so.

At least 12 hours.

Not games available on disc, just PSN games only.

Nope

Yep, it's pulled a 24'r here and there.

Not unless I forced it to shut down on a lock up. If it doesn't give me any reaction to the PS button, I touch the power and it beeps three times and shuts off, then all is good. This happens once every couple months, barely notice it.

Not while playing, I've had a game crash once or twice while loading but I think it was searching for the internet and my router was the cause.

Yep sure do!

WNxUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 WNxUSA
Member since 2003 • 130 Posts

1) Yes, Kinda

2) 8hrs+, Saturday wise prob 14-18hrs

3) I lay my discs upside down when not used or back in their case depending on what it is.

4) Yes and no, depends on what im doing. Most of the time thou theirs no CD in the PS3, i normally take them out depending on what im doing or plan on doing the next day. Call it situational

5) 2.50

6) 60GB Sony PS3, Bought it January 7th 2008

7) Yes, It's on an entertainment like stand but theirs about 6 feet of space on both sides and 2 feet above it and a 32" HDTV above it on the top shelf.

8 ) My bedroom

9) About maybe once or twice a week if that

10) About 6hrs a day, prob 40hrs a week or more total

11) Nope, i download demo's and Movies

12) Nope, and i downloaded 2.40 when it was released about 5mins actually after sony released it onto the PSN.

13) Yep, longest it's gone is 21 1/2 hrs on (And no i don't own an Intercooler)

14) Yep, a few times but not a worry to me

15) Yea, Once. Rainbow Six Vegas when i first got my PS3 crashed and went to the XMB than i just restarted the game. Other time was when Rainbow Six Vegas 2 froze but i've only seen that Once.

Bonus: Yep! Sure did because i'm a hudge MGS fan. First one is my favorite one. Gotta love the neck snap!

kar008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kar008
Member since 2004 • 526 Posts

The '"Yellow Light of Death" is a HDD related problem, either the HDD has failed or become loose, not a problem with the system itself, regardless of that, I'll do your survey anyway, oh and it's hardly a plague.

1) No
2) 3 - 4 hours
3) Yes, very
4) Not usually
5) 2.50
6) 60GB PS3 bought in Australia November 2007
7) Yes, always
8 ) On my desk, to the right of my monitor
9) Yes
10) It varies greatly
11) Yes
12) No, I downloaded the first release.
13) No, but a number close to that, maybe 8 or 10
14) I get it frequently
15) Yes, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 has done it a few times and Uncharted once

[QUOTE="kar008"]

jtickner

May I ask why you think a PS2 or any other form of DVD type disc is going to harm your PS3?

well i have a ps2 to play ps2 dvds and i dont want to put old disks in the bd drive, because of scratches and stuff, but thats just me lol. not a big deal.

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
  1. No.
  2. 6 hours.
  3. Yes.
  4. I leave them in
  5. 2.50
  6. 60GB, since June '07
  7. Yes.
  8. On the televison stand, bottom level.
  9. Yes.
  10. 15 hours.
  11. No.
  12. No.
  13. No.
  14. Yes
  15. Yes
michelle341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 michelle341
Member since 2008 • 734 Posts

1)no

2) the avrage is arround 2 hours a day..some times even 3-4

3) yes...very..

4)no

5)2.5

6)40gb...I have had it for 3 mounths

7) yes

8 ) on a shelf under my tv

9)yes

10)I mostly play offline...I play online like 3 hours a week or so

11)no..only demos

12)no

13)no

14)yeah

15)yes..uncharted froze once..I restarted it and it was fine]

16) of course i do!!

plod2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 plod2
Member since 2007 • 289 Posts

No

Around 4

Yes

Yes

40gb since december 2007

Not really

On top of a chest of drawes next my TV

Never

I don't really know, around 6 hours a week maybe

Yes

No

Yes, I think so

Yes

Yes

BONUS: Did you buy MGS4? YES!
jaxx1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jaxx1980
Member since 2005 • 868 Posts

1) Have you ever had the YLOD? - Nope, cant say I have

2) How often do you play your PS3 on an average day? (let the day be Saturday) - Maybe 3 hrs

3) Are you meticulous about how you handle discs? (fingerprints, scratches, lying them upside down on surfaces, etc.) - Very much so... I paid enough for them, so I always keep them in cases when not in use and always always handle by the edges.

4) Do you leave discs in the tray when the console is off or not in use? - No, I always take them out and put them in the cases again.

5) What's your current firmware? - Whatever the latest one is.

6) Which PS3 model do you have and for how long have you had it? - 60GB model, had it about 18 months now.

7) Does your PS3 have breathing room? - Yep

8 ) In your living room/bedroom set up, where is the PS3 located? - About a 1/2ft from my HDTV.

9) Do you clean the surface often? - At least twice a week.

10) How many hours in a week do you play online, if at all? - Maybe 12 or so on an average week.

11) Do you download full games from the store? - Only a couple of retro ones really, and nothing "big" since Warhawk.

12) Was your PS3 bricked by the 2.4 update? - Nope.

13) Has your console ever been on for longer than 12 hours? - Once, shortly after buying Jericho.

14) Have you ever gotten the "3 beeps"? - Yep

15) Have any of your games crashed on the PS3 at all, requiring you to reset the console? - Yeah, Burnout did that to me a couple of times.

BONUS: Did you buy MGS4? - Nope. Really not my type of game.

rahul_rul210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rahul_rul210
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

1)no

2)3 hours

3)very

4)yes

5)2.50

6) 60 gb for about year and half

7)yes

8)on a desk

9)weekly

10)5

11)yes

12)no

13)yes

14)yes

15)yes nba 2k9once

Bonus:yes

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts

No

Depends. Week days : 1-3. Weekends : 3-8

yes a lot.

Yes,my Bad Company copy is been in there for ages now XD

60GB model, since Euro release (23th march I think)

has enough to live XD

Book shelf

From time to time.I also Vacuum clean it from time to time

Since I already beated all my games I only play only so see number 1.

Yes I do

No

Yes

Yes

Yes. Bad Company...damn faulty code.

aflakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 aflakian
Member since 2008 • 1557 Posts
1. Have you ever had the YLOD?
No.

2. How often do you play your PS3 on an average day? (let the day be Saturday)
2-5 hours a day depending on the week.

3. Are you meticulous about how you handle discs? (fingerprints, scratches, lying them upside down on surfaces, etc.)
Very meticulous.

4. Do you leave discs in the tray when the console is off or not in use?
Rarely.

5. What's your current firmware?

6. Which PS3 model do you have and for how long have you had it?
CECHE01 I believe; the MGS4 bundle. I've had it since August '08.

7. Does your PS3 have breathing room?
I have two spots for it. Both have adequate breathing space; the spot under the AC stays cooler.

8. In your living room/bedroom set up, where is the PS3 located?
Bedroom.

Do you clean the surface often?
Sure do. Don't like dust or fingerprints.

10. How many hours in a week do you play online, if at all?
Probably more than I play offline. Varies depending on the week.

11. Do you download full games from the store?
Only if it can't be physically purchased.

12. Was your PS3 bricked by the 2.4 update?
No.

13. Has your console ever been on for longer than 12 hours?
Yeah. Left it on for a little under 48 hours once.

14. Have you ever gotten the "3 beeps"?
Today I actually got it for the first time. As I was attemping to quit a PSN game, the system went blank as I accessed the XMB; beeped three times shortly after.
Powered it off by holding the front panel power button for 10 or so seconds. Powered it back on using the same button (couldn't use controllers as they needed to be re-assigned).

15. Have any of your games crashed on the PS3 at all, requiring you to reset the console?
No.

Sort of. Got it for free.
Spy_106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Spy_106
Member since 2005 • 712 Posts

No

3-5 hours

Yes

Sometimes

Latest one : 2.50

60GB been using it from July 2007

Yes

Bedroom

Yes

6-7 hours

No I don't have a credit card or even PS Card

No

No

No

No

I'm going to buy it when I get the money.

daveversion1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 daveversion1
Member since 2007 • 1005 Posts

1)no

2)1-8 hours

3)im careful with them if thats what you mean

4)sometimes

5)the one before 2.50

6)60g , had it since christmas

7)Yes

8 )on a plastic box under my desk

9)Yes

10)none anymore

11)no

12)no

13)maybe once

14)what are they?

15)it does it on Assasins creed occasionaly , it done it like 5 times since january

bonus) im getting it soon probably

Cyphus07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 Cyphus07
Member since 2007 • 189 Posts

no.

2hrs. - maybe.

yes.

yes.

60gig, since release - few years.

yes.

living room.

yes.

2hrs. maybe.

yes, a couple.

no.

no.

no.

Yes. Star Wars:TFU - thats the only one.

Yes.

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#43 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
So based off of this little survey of yours,did you find anything out?
Timmeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Timmeus
Member since 2007 • 1136 Posts

No but my first PS3 stopped reading discs after I had to restart it.

2+ hours.

Yes.

Yes.

60 GB about 8(?) months.

Yes.

In a space under my desk where a computer would normally sit.

Not often.

10+ hours.

No.

No.

Yes.

Yes quite a few times.

Yes.

Yes.

skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts

1. No

2. 2-3 hours

3. Yes

4. No (never did even in PS1 and PS2)

5. 2.50

6. Ceramic White, Asian version (R3), 40g, since July 9 2008

7. Of course

8. below the tv inside of a console/player cabinet

9. Yes (everyday with my hands, hehe)

10. 0

11. No

12. No

13. No

14. No

15. No

Bonus: Of course!

Axelnomad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Axelnomad
Member since 2007 • 872 Posts

No

This one depends on my company, but if I am solo I play the PS3 for about 6 hours.

yes

yes

60 gig, release

Yes

bedroom

every so often

Depends on the game I am playing at the time, but on average, 3 hours a week.

on occasion

no

Yea, on mulitple occasions.

dont know what this is so, no

twice, but it was the same game.

alstevens83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 alstevens83
Member since 2008 • 1462 Posts

1) Have you ever had the YLOD? Nope
2) How often do you play your PS3 on an average day? (let the day be Saturday) between 5 to 9 hours depending on the mood and game
3) Are you meticulous about how you handle discs? (fingerprints, scratches, lying them upside down on surfaces, etc.) Very
4) Do you leave discs in the tray when the console is off or not in use? Yes,
6) Which PS3 model do you have and for how long have you had it? 60 gig and I have had it since last October time
8 ) In your living room/bedroom set up, where is the PS3 located? Bedroom
9) Do you clean the surface often? Twice a week
10) How many hours in a week do you play online, if at all? only a couple of hours
11) Do you download full games from the store? 2
12) Was your PS3 bricked by the 2.4 update? nope, I was annoyed to have it taken away from me
13) Has your console ever been on for longer than 12 hours? Nope
14) Have you ever gotten the "3 beeps"? Only when I press the Eject button and there is no disk inside
15) Have any of your games crashed on the PS3 at all, requiring you to reset the console?None
16) Did you buy MGS? Yes and Loved every second of it

rapsrule4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 rapsrule4
Member since 2007 • 968 Posts

1) no

2)5-6 hours
3) sure
4) yes

5) waht ever the latest one is ...

6) 40 gb since may 2008

7) yes

8 ) beside the tv

9) yes

10) idk 20 hours

11) no

12) no

13) no

14) i dont even know what that is

15)somtimes

bonus no

samourai_v87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 samourai_v87
Member since 2007 • 209 Posts

1) Have you ever had the YLOD? What the hell is that?
2) How often do you play your PS3 on an average day? (let the day be Saturday) 3 - 5 hours
3) Are you meticulous about how you handle discs? (fingerprints, scratches, lying them upside down on surfaces, etc.) Oh yea!!
4) Do you leave discs in the tray when the console is off or not in use? Of course not!
5) What's your current firmware? Latest.
6) Which PS3 model do you have and for how long have you had it? The european 60GB launch package
7) Does your PS3 have breathing room? Yep.
8 ) In your living room/bedroom set up, where is the PS3 located? in the middle standing under my Samsung 32" LCD
9) Do you clean the surface often? Everyday.
10) How many hours in a week do you play online, if at all? When COD4 came, everyday for the past 10 months. But when MGS4 came out, I kinda forgot about the online and got hooked to the single player ALOT!Resistance 2 should bring me back!
11) Do you download full games from the store? Till now, 3 games.
12) Was your PS3 bricked by the 2.4 update? Nope.
13) Has your console ever been on for longer than 12 hours? MGS4 caused that.
14) Have you ever gotten the "3 beeps"? Nope.
15) Have any of your games crashed on the PS3 at all, requiring you to reset the console? GTAIV froze twice on me.

BONUS: Did you buy MGS4? :P Is it even necessary to ask this question man? OF COURSE I DID!!

Scianix-Black
tOtalPWNaAe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 tOtalPWNaAe
Member since 2008 • 3375 Posts
i see alot off people say no to number 4 can elaborate why???????????thanks