Surround Sound Question for Techies and Audiophiles

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Coolboy420x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Coolboy420x
Member since 2004 • 2235 Posts

Okay so my first question is wether running the surround sound from PS3 to Reciever through Optic cable reduces the sound quality compared to using an HDMI cable, and if so how do you guys run your setup cuz PS3 only has one HDMI cable slot..? THANKs

jshaas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 jshaas
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts

Okay so my first question is wether running the surround sound from PS3 to Reciever through Optic cable reduces the sound quality compared to using an HDMI cable, and if so how do you guys run your setup cuz PS3 only has one HDMI cable slot..? THANKs

Coolboy420x
It won't reduce the quality because both the optical and HDMI are digital. It's also good to know that HDMI cables shouldn't cost you more than $10 or $15. Since they're digital cables it will either work or not work... paying $100 for Monster HDMI is a complete rip-off. I'm assuming this holds true for optical cables as well.
Coolboy420x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Coolboy420x
[QUOTE="Coolboy420x"]

jshaas
It won't reduce the quality because both the optical and HDMI are digital. It's also good to know that HDMI cables shouldn't cost you more than $10 or $15. Since they're digital cables it will either work or not work... paying $100 for Monster HDMI is a complete rip-off. I'm assuming this holds true for optical cables as well.

Thanks for the reply but I found out that there is quality diff. The optic cable wont play True HD and DTS HD
pjacobson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 pjacobson21
Member since 2007 • 1093 Posts

I just have an hdmi cable from my ps3 to my tv, then connect the "audio out" connection on my tv to my receiver. My tv in the basement has optical audio out so I use that, but the tv in my room only has a headphone jack lol, so I use that to connect to my stereo in my room. My stereo in my room is old, so I'm not really worrying about maximizing quality (although it does sound awesome), but I like just using hdmi and audio out in basement because it's very convenient. I just leave my receiver on the one audio input and then whatever sound is coming from my tv plays through my surround sound, whether its gaming, tv, etc, with no need to change inputs on the receiver. As far as I can tell there is no loss in quality either.

jshaas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 jshaas
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts
[QUOTE="jshaas"][QUOTE="Coolboy420x"]

Coolboy420x

Thanks for the reply but I found out that there is quality diff. The optic cable wont play True HD and DTS HD

Ah yes, that only applies to Blu-Ray movies though. If you have a good size collection going, or are planning on one... def go with the HDMI for the better audio options.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Coolboy420x

The only difference would be with Blu ray movies that use Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio formats - they can only be transmitted through an HDMI cable. I don't think any games use those audio formats, but I may be mistaken.

Any receiver that has inputs for HDMI cables will also have an HDMI output, so you connect your components via HDMI to the receiver, then run a single HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV.

Anyhow, there are two different types of receivers that have HDMI inputs and outputs on the back. The first, more expensive ones, actually decode the audio track coming through the HDMI cable, so you can hear your Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio soundtracks through your speakers. The second, less expensive ones, just pass the signal through to the TV without reading it. With the second type of receiver, you need to have a separate digital audio cable running from your components to the receiver, and you will get the standard Dolby or DTS surround sound tracks - not the Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio hi-def tracks.

So if you're looking to buy a receiver for use with a Blu ray player, you want to make sure it actually decodes the audio from the HDMI cable, and doesn't just act as a pass-through.

GreyFoXX4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GreyFoXX4
Member since 2008 • 3612 Posts

I just have an hdmi cable from my ps3 to my tv, then connect the "audio out" connection on my tv to my receiver. My tv in the basement has optical audio out so I use that, but the tv in my room only has a headphone jack lol, so I use that to connect to my stereo in my room. My stereo in my room is old, so I'm not really worrying about maximizing quality (although it does sound awesome), but I like just using hdmi and audio out in basement because it's very convenient. I just leave my receiver on the one audio input and then whatever sound is coming from my tv plays through my surround sound, whether its gaming, tv, etc, with no need to change inputs on the receiver. As far as I can tell there is no loss in quality either.

pjacobson21
You should be using, the hdmi to your receiver, then from receiver to your tv. There is only like 1 maybe 2 tv's that passes 5.1 audio out to a receiver so chances are you are just getting 2.1 from your tv to the receiver and then your receiver is processing it to Dolby surround, and your not getting true Dolby digital or even dolbyHD if your receiver has that audio.
Coolboy420x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Coolboy420x
Ahh I just found out my Onkyo TX-SR506 receiver does not have produce HDMI Audio... so no point in buying one :-(