Stranglehold Demo Review

This topic is locked from further discussion.

peter360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 peter360
Member since 2005 • 244 Posts

This is only a personal review after having played the demo. This review is not from any magazine or game review website.

After having played Stranglehold for a few minutes my first question to myself was "how can such a generic shooter be just now coming out on next gen game systems?"

I started out shooting a couple enemies by running around and pointing the gun at them and shooting. I then tried out the "special slow mo tequila mode" where you get skill points for killing people while doing "skill" things such as sliding accross a table or jumping. You then use your tequila points to regain health.

As far as sliding across tables its as "easy" as standing next to a table and pressing the direction pad toward the table. "frustrating" could be substituted for "easy" because your character has a tendancy of sliding back and forth over tables like its a freaking slip and slide.This feature seems to have been added to the game as a great idea but left in the game with not much of a thought as to how to make it cool.

As far as slow motion is concerned, its not a new feature at all and has already been used better back in the game F.E.A.R. This feature does not do anything to add to the game.

In final conclusion about this game I would guess it will get a 5 out 10. Its an ultra generic shooter style game with nothing new added in the way of gameplay. I would rather play a crappy port of sonic the hedgehog then subject myself to this game. I would recommend nobody buy this game, and i wouldn't even recommend renting it.

tomgps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tomgps
Member since 2007 • 109 Posts
I liked it. Would probably rent it. Buying it might be a tougher decision.
mpgchulo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mpgchulo
Member since 2003 • 233 Posts

I liked it. Would probably rent it. Buying it might be a tougher decision.tomgps

ill give it a rent just to see if it's good enough to buy

G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 G-Legend
Member since 2005 • 7387 Posts
I also thought it was generic at first all you do is dive or do a trick and shoot, but as I got further I realized it was a bit more then that. With the star feature the better kills you do the more stars you get so I started doing that and destroying the environment to kill guys and taking cover and such it actually got better. I'd give it a 7.5/10 it's a pretty good game.
Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts

[QUOTE="tomgps"]I liked it. Would probably rent it. Buying it might be a tougher decision.mpgchulo

Same here.
Avatar image for JustWiicredible
JustWiicredible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JustWiicredible
Member since 2007 • 1908 Posts
I actually quite liked it.A definite purchase for me.
legofan712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 legofan712
Member since 2005 • 664 Posts
[QUOTE="mpgchulo"]

[QUOTE="tomgps"]I liked it. Would probably rent it. Buying it might be a tougher decision.Vyse_Legends

Same here.

creekfan_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 creekfan_basic
Member since 2002 • 2539 Posts

This is only a personal review after having played the demo. This review is not from any magazine or game review website.

After having played Stranglehold for a few minutes my first question to myself was "how can such a generic shooter be just now coming out on next gen game systems?"

I started out shooting a couple enemies by running around and pointing the gun at them and shooting. I then tried out the "special slow mo tequila mode" where you get skill points for killing people while doing "skill" things such as sliding accross a table or jumping. You then use your tequila points to regain health.

As far as sliding across tables its as "easy" as standing next to a table and pressing the direction pad toward the table. "frustrating" could be substituted for "easy" because your character has a tendancy of sliding back and forth over tables like its a freaking slip and slide.This feature seems to have been added to the game as a great idea but left in the game with not much of a thought as to how to make it cool.

As far as slow motion is concerned, its not a new feature at all and has already been used better back in the game F.E.A.R. This feature does not do anything to add to the game.

In final conclusion about this game I would guess it will get a 5 out 10. Its an ultra generic shooter style game with nothing new added in the way of gameplay. I would rather play a crappy port of sonic the hedgehog then subject myself to this game. I would recommend nobody buy this game, and i wouldn't even recommend renting it.

peter360

guess your not much of a john woo fan

hscream13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hscream13
Member since 2004 • 1134 Posts

Im not a fanboy but the 360 versio I like better; it souds better and also the ps3 version has alot of framrate problems

redX5112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 redX5112
Member since 2005 • 4295 Posts
I'm sick of this delay crap, I want games to come out for 360 and PS3 at the same time, I'd buy games for my 360 except I'm pretty sure its about to die on me, and I prefer my PS3 infinetly more reliable and FREE ONLINE!
ANUBIS209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ANUBIS209
Member since 2005 • 258 Posts
as much as i liked Hard Boiled this game is totally mediocre you just run, shoot, and dive pretty much and although he seems to take damage he doesnt hardly show it he just keeps on runnin like hes Superman more like a rental but the movie HARD BOILED is a must buy for whoever hasnt seen it i suggest buy the re-release DVD edition and just rent the game.
Avatar image for JustWiicredible
JustWiicredible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JustWiicredible
Member since 2007 • 1908 Posts

I'm sick of this delay crap, I want games to come out for 360 and PS3 at the same time, I'd buy games for my 360 except I'm pretty sure its about to die on me, and I prefer my PS3 infinetly more reliable and FREE ONLINE!redX5112

You mean i don't have to pay £40 a year just to play online. LOL.

Velsavius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Velsavius
Member since 2007 • 42 Posts
At first when I read about this game I thought nothing of it but after playing the demo and rather enjoying it I think I will be be picking this game up.
D3monchicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 D3monchicken
Member since 2005 • 1270 Posts

Im not a fanboy but the 360 versio I like better; it souds better and also the ps3 version has alot of framrate problems

hscream13

Correct me if i'm wrong or not but... the ps3 version isn't out. The ps3 demo of it had NOT A SINGLE FRAMERATE PROBLEM! Only problem is that the graphicsare definately not up to par with most games releasing at this time.

D3monchicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 D3monchicken
Member since 2005 • 1270 Posts

as much as i liked Hard Boiled this game is totally mediocre you just run, shoot, and dive pretty much and although he seems to take damage he doesnt hardly show it he just keeps on runnin like hes Superman more like a rental but the movie HARD BOILED is a must buy for whoever hasnt seen it i suggest buy the re-release DVD edition and just rent the game.ANUBIS209

Try taking a few hits in the demo again... Then get cover behind a wall, cam zooms in a lil, you see blood dripping down the side of his mouth and a few stains on his shirt...

mastermu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mastermu
Member since 2004 • 665 Posts
[QUOTE="hscream13"]

D3monchicken

Correct me if i'm wrong or not but... the ps3 version isn't out. The ps3 demo of it had NOT A SINGLE FRAMERATE PROBLEM! Only problem is that the graphicsare definately not up to par with most games releasing at this time.

I experienced no framerate problems at all while playing the demo. It ran really smoothly IMHO. The demo was great, it has different difficulty settings and hidden weapons, which made it just as good as the Ninja Gaiden Sigma demo. :)
Xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Xshinobi
Member since 2003 • 3011 Posts

It is a great game but only rent this one people. I got the 360 version this morning and I have finished it already and the online is forgettable. Now dont get me wrong it is a awesome game but only rent it people.

da1writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 da1writer
Member since 2005 • 581 Posts
Well, I sorta liked the demo and though it was good to play a game that reminded me of the good old days of Max Payne (wish he went next gen). I plan on getting the collectors edition though because of the Hard Boiled HiDef movie included on the disc ;)!
mitchconlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 mitchconlin
Member since 2005 • 1218 Posts

[QUOTE="redX5112"]I'm sick of this delay crap, I want games to come out for 360 and PS3 at the same time, I'd buy games for my 360 except I'm pretty sure its about to die on me, and I prefer my PS3 infinetly more reliable and FREE ONLINE!JustWiicredible

You mean i don't have to pay £40 a year just to play online. LOL.

.....are you arguing 40 dollars is less than free?

anyway i thought the demo was pretty sweet i wouldnt buy it for full price though.

Avatar image for deactivated-598489b928c6a
deactivated-598489b928c6a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-598489b928c6a
Member since 2003 • 124 Posts
rental
Keasy4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Keasy4
Member since 2003 • 16843 Posts
did u find the golden gun??
bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bunchofpixels
Member since 2003 • 7049 Posts
Yea I agree. I hated Max Payne and this looks to be much worse.
tomgps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tomgps
Member since 2007 • 109 Posts

Yea I agree. I hated Max Payne and this looks to be much worse.bunchofpixels

It looks to be much better. Have you played the demo?

Only problem I've seen is the occasional framerate drop. (It does occur when you take a couple of hits)

hazuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hazuki
Member since 2003 • 3959 Posts
[QUOTE="hscream13"]

D3monchicken

Oh dear, you didn't have any framerate issues? I certainly did. The 2nd time I played it, it skipped around and slowed down to a crawl sometimes. The ps3 version isn't out, I haven't played the full 360 game, but its completely fair to judge demos. The 360 demo was out way before the ps3 version, so the ps3 one doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. Though the ps3 demo looked like it was missing these things from the 360 demo: solid aiming control, full on dynamic shadows, and good quality sound. Now I could live with all 3 of those, but that sound got on my nerves. It sounded like it was badly compressed into something worse than 64kbps.

hscream13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hscream13
[QUOTE="hscream13"]

D3monchicken

Im talking about the demo and that thing kept slowing down on me when I had like for enimies blasting at me.

hscream13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hscream13
[QUOTE="D3monchicken"][QUOTE="hscream13"]

hazuki

Oh dear, you didn't have any framerate issues? I certainly did. The 2nd time I played it, it skipped around and slowed down to a crawl sometimes. The ps3 version isn't out, I haven't played the full 360 game, but its completely fair to judge demos. The 360 demo was out way before the ps3 version, so the ps3 one doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. Though the ps3 demo looked like it was missing these things from the 360 demo: solid aiming control, full on dynamic shadows, and good quality sound. Now I could live with all 3 of those, but that sound got on my nerves. It sounded like it was badly compressed into something worse than 64kbps.

yes thats true the sounds of shots being fired were not as good as the 360's

Dante865

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Dante865
Member since 2005 • 4196 Posts
I thought it was the best demo so far, i played it on all difficulties to unlock all Tequilla Moves last night :P still cant get enough of it its just pure action on funny ragdoll deaths - I will probably buy it a week after release
grimone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 grimone01
Member since 2006 • 200 Posts

I actually really enjoyed the demo! I had no frame rate problem at all. I did find the targeting systems a little off but other than that really dug it!

But then again....I'm a HUGE John Woo fan!

AIH_PSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 AIH_PSP
Member since 2005 • 2318 Posts
It's seems pretty good. I might actually buy it. I would give it an 8/10.
navigata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 navigata
Member since 2005 • 7619 Posts
One of the better demos that ive personally played off of the psn. I think the demo was quite good but game isnt something that i would really buy. Demo is 7.5-8.0/10
Hitamaru-homia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Hitamaru-homia
Member since 2006 • 2046 Posts
i stopped trying to download it after i seen how it played in the review...instead i downloaded me some FolkLore.WHICH IS AWESOME... xD
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts
The only time the game had any kind of slowdown for me was when i dived or slid. But that wasn't lag or framerate, it was the tequila time. I played it back to back on all settings. No frame dip at all, not even at that ambush part where theres like 30 guys runnin in shooting from all directions, and about 50 pieces of destructable environment all blowing up at the same time. As for being nothing more than diving and shooting... did you try interacting with the environment? Sliding down a rail and shooting signs so they fall on peolpe is pretty fun. Or diving onto a cart and twising around on it to shoot enemies on all sides while the cart rolls through the market was great too. The precision aim kills were cool, watching how they react depending on where you shoot them, like shoot em in the backside and watch him limp around holding his butt. Maybe a lot of this kind of stuff has been done, but to me, the play experience on this demo was completely awesome. Probably not so much if all you do is run around and shoot, throwing in the occasional dive. Try playing it like a Hong-kong action movie, and you'll enjoy it. Unless you hate Hong-kong action movies. In which case... why'd you bother downloading it? That's kinda like someone who hates golf dl'ing the Tiger Woods demo and saying 'It was really generic and boring, all you do is try to hit this little ball into a hole.'
waza000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 waza000
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts
dont review a ****ing demo .... just say of you liked it or not, and ask others what they tought of it ... nothing more we don't care about you trying to show your observation skills
chrisjackson85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 chrisjackson85
Member since 2006 • 357 Posts

ive finished the demo quite a few times, there ARE framerate issues, when alot is happening on the screen.

ive had this game on preorder for a while, and will be glad when it arrives :)

the long-ass video after the demo, is amazing and shows LOADS of the game, and it looks even better than the level it gives you.

hazuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hazuki
Member since 2003 • 3959 Posts

ive finished the demo quite a few times, there ARE framerate issues, when alot is happening on the screen.

ive had this game on preorder for a while, and will be glad when it arrives :)

the long-ass video after the demo, is amazing and shows LOADS of the game, and it looks even better than the level it gives you.

chrisjackson85

Those were the same videos at the end of the xbox 360 demo as well. Looked exactly the same, so I doubt it they did a complete new video just for the ps3 demo. Besides, it was prerendered.

bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 bunchofpixels
Member since 2003 • 7049 Posts

[QUOTE="bunchofpixels"]Yea I agree. I hated Max Payne and this looks to be much worse.tomgps

It looks to be much better. Have you played the demo?

Only problem I've seen is the occasional framerate drop. (It does occur when you take a couple of hits)

I just played the demo. I take it back. Its seems to be a much more enjoyable game than Max Payne although the gameplay will probably get stale somewhat quickly. The framerate drop was terrible considering the quality of what is on the screen isnt that great to begin with.
phoenyx9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 phoenyx9
Member since 2006 • 2444 Posts

I had a blast playing the demo, I'll probably have to wait till next month to get it though. I already bought Warhawk, Tekken DR and pre-ordered Heavenly Sword.

I'll put it in my Queue for gamefly, maybe I'll be lucky enough to get it right away.

ajefferism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ajefferism
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts
I liked the demo. The gameplay was very Max Payne but it added some cool new things like table slides and staircase slides. I liked the precision aim powerup and over all the control seemed responsive. Pretty linear though, just walk around and shoot. Graphics were ok nothing revolutionary but not bad. Overall I'd probably give the demo a 7 out of 10, not bad, nothing special though. I'd probably only rent this game unless I was a big Chow Yun Fat or John Woo fan.
kev27marquardt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kev27marquardt
Member since 2004 • 131 Posts
I went into this demo thinking it was gonna be some Max Payne ripoff with some new gimmicks. By the end of the Demo when it was just starting to get good, it was over. I was like NOOOOOO. Seems like it would be a solid rental. I wouldnt judge the game unless you try it. I would give it an 7.
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#43 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts

The shooting got repetitive fairly quickly as whenever you think you're done, another door opens and more dudes come out. The destructible environments are sort of cool, but the game is full of clipping errors, the camera can get annoying and the frame rate occasionally drops to single digits.

Reviews say the game is short, but I couldn't imagine playing through it as I would be bored after the first hour.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts
I rented it last night for the Microsoft Xbox 360 and it is a good rental. I'm craving it right now and I hate John Woo!
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

peter360

you obviously didnt play the ENTIRE demo before you decided to "review" it. The game introduces a couple of new gameplay features like half way throughthe demo. First the stand off, when you are surrounded bythree to five guys and you have to take em out one by one while dodging their bullets matrix style! It's alldone very well and its definitely very very exciting.

you also unlock precision shooting towards the end of the demo.it also works very well and the death animations make it feel extremely rewarding. the full game will have two more of these unlockable features, and judging from the long gameplay trailer at the end of the game, they also look extremely fun. theawesomely destrutible enviornments also added a new dynamicto the gameplay, not to mention the overall experience.

While I had a blast playing the game,I did have some issues with it. The endless waves of dumb enemies got repititive after a while, but the new features(precision aiming and stnad-offs)kept the gameplay freshand kept me engrossed in the game. there were some frame rate issues the second time i played through the demo, but it's still a demo. i personally wouldnt recommend shelling out 60 bucks for the game, but you do get the Hard Boiled BluRay and it definitely is a great "next gen" show peice to show to your friends who cant notice the difference b/w last gen and current gen games.

P.S We all know Slow Mo isnot a new feature, we all know its been done several times before, no one said its something revolutionary. and as you observed, using slow mo gives you skill points which unlocks new gameplay features like precisoin aiming, tequilla bomb and another exclsuive "new" feature that i cant recall right now. so it does add something to the game.

next time play the entire demo before you decide to review it.

furtherfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 furtherfan
Member since 2007 • 3699 Posts

I would rather play a crappy port of sonic the hedgehog then subject myself to this game. I would recommend nobody buy this game, and i wouldn't even recommend renting it.

peter360

sure buddy

smsnsimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 smsnsimba
Member since 2006 • 139 Posts

If you press L2 while next to a table, tequila kicks the table over so you can use it for cover. I found that out on accident. You can also double tap L1 next to a wall and Tequila jumps off the wall. It's very cinematic. Also, if you hold down the shoot button after diving, Tequila remains on the floor and you can roll around and stuff while still shooting. I had a blast playing through the game. it was fun, and I was suprised with how destructible the environments were:

For example, I shot a smallercardboard box and it opened to reveal a packaged TV with styrofoam inside. Styrofoam?Imean, that's a ridiculous amount of detail. I giggled my happy @$$ off when I saw that. The unique deaths and enemy animations when using precision aiming were great.I did have the occasional framerate issue, especially after finding the sub-machine guns in the demo.Really looking forward to this game.

haseeb_1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 haseeb_1989
Member since 2005 • 1322 Posts
After playing the demo i thought about buying this but after playing the demo and beating it 4 times i decided that this game is borring its going to be the samething over and over again i will just stick with buying heavenly sword i beat the demo for it probably more than 20 times.
mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 mazing87
Member since 2004 • 3881 Posts

I love the gore and the interactive enviroment and itemsin the demo but sliding on the tables was annoying. That game would never see my $60 dollars.