Soooo... Yeah, "Fallout 3"...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

... Is it me, or is this game an incredibly slow start, with not a lot of direction?

I've played "Morrowind", I'm not completely foreign to Bethesda, but I just cannot get flying with this game. I've found some weapons, got some security armor, made it to and a bit around Megaton, but there's, it's, uh, very barren. And I'm getting my ass kicked a lot, by ferrets and dogs. Where are the caps I need to bribe ****s? Got ammo, but no one will sell me a gun. Activate a bomb? Hell no, like you'd get far enough away, setting it off... What's up with this game? The quests I have I don't want... Holy Rollers...

:lol:

Feel like thowing the game in the pool of radioactive water, beating the snot out of Moriarty, and calling it a day. What am I missing here?

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts
It does have a slow start....and it doesn't really pick up that much. It's kinda the nature of Bethesda's games. Just explore.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Pick up a pipe and just bash people's head in

works pretty well for the beginning when things are hard

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#4 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

The Vault 101 intro is one of the most meorable sequences in gaming for me. Then when you walk out and see sunlight for the first time in 18 years, looking out over the D.C. ruins and bleak, desolate landscape... It may have been slow, but I wouldn't rather have it any other way. And in Fallout 3, you make the pacing. The game never ushers you foward or forces you into linear set pieces. Go out, explore, and do what you what. There aren't many experiences quite like it.

Grimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Grimlim
Member since 2011 • 230 Posts

I found the beginning (after getting into the outdoors) to be the most fun part. Got boring and repetitive after that.

I can't stand VATS. I wish the shooting was more like stalker

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I found the beginning (after getting into the outdoors) to be the most fun part. Got boring and repetitive after that.

Grimlim

This. I could never get into the game because the shooting is absolutely dreadful.

Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#7 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts

[QUOTE="Grimlim"]

Vari3ty

This. I could never get into the game because the shooting is absolutely dreadful.

I had a similar problem. I found that enemy encounters happened way to frequently. It's highly annoying when I'm trying to explore the environment and random mutated creatures attack me every 50 yards I walk.
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

Fallout 3 is what you make of it. It's not for everybody. I will say that much

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

... Is it me, or is this game an incredibly slow start, with not a lot of direction?

I've played "Morrowind", I'm not completely foreign to Bethesda, but I just cannot get flying with this game. I've found some weapons, got some security armor, made it to and a bit around Megaton, but there's, it's, uh, very barren. And I'm getting my ass kicked a lot, by ferrets and dogs. Where are the caps I need to bribe ****s? Got ammo, but no one will sell me a gun. Activate a bomb? Hell no, like you'd get far enough away, setting it off... What's up with this game? The quests I have I don't want... Holy Rollers...

Feel like thowing the game in the pool of radioactive water, beating the snot out of Moriarty, and calling it a day. What am I missing here?

MonkeySpot

Caps are found whereever. They're laying around on tables, or incrates, dressers etc.

Don't buy weapons. Kill bandits for theirs. You can mainly get by killing and looting for ammo and weapons.

Don't activate the bomb in Megaton because if yyou wipe out that town you lose your safehouse forever. I couldn't imagine playing al lthe way through FO3 without somewhere to store my stuff.

My advice: Get New Vegas. I'm not even kidding.

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#10 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

Fallout 3 is an awesome game. I think there absolutely nothing wrong with the pacing because I believe that's how its supposed to be. I do think things tend to pick up when you accept quests and level up. Plus, if you have the Game of the Year edition there is all that DLC to explore too. I say give it a chance and you'll be rewarded. LOVE IT!:P

Avatar image for doolindesperado
doolindesperado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 doolindesperado
Member since 2004 • 296 Posts

I just liked the freedom to explore. The world was just very immersive to me.

austi722

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 austi722
Member since 2009 • 452 Posts

You still get a safehouse at Tempenny Tower instead. Some say Megaton's is bigger in reality. Megaton's safehouse just has a second floor while tempenny's is really wide. Also you get negative 1000 karma for activating the bomb. My routine after leaving vault 101. Go to Springfield. Search for items,etc throughout it. Go in that lady's house. Kill her take her money and gun and loot her house. Go to Megaton. Start doing some quests. On my new playthrough I decided to do a few sidequests instead of main story. There is a nice caps trick to get tons of caps from a trader,merchant,etc. If the merchant has 2 of the ame clothing or weapons in his inventory. Buy the cheapest when you get it should be at a higher level then he sold. Sell it back, rebuy the cheapest one and sell it back and repeat until he's broke.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MonkeySpot

Oh, I totally killed that greaser from the Tunnel Snake gang's mom... She got a beat-down, and when HE started crying, I clubbed HIM like a baby seal, too... that was fun...

... I guess i just need to be a bigger ****, but I feel like I shouldn't be (constant do-gooder here who has a problem - sometimes - with being a bad guy). Come to think of it now, I stole that one guy's house blind in Megaton, he wasn't home so I jacked all his stuff, cigarettes, etc., I dunno...

... As I talk about it here, I guess I DID do a lot more than I thought I did...

... I would love a little more in the way of direction. The same thing bothered be with "Morrowind", and after walking all over that map, swinging my axe like it was going out of style, I kind of dwindled away and never went back. I guess I'll just wander around some more, see what throws a rock at me. It's just kind of monochromatic visually, as well as action so far.

slimdave21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 slimdave21
Member since 2003 • 2646 Posts
Stick with this game! I hated Fallout 3 after my first couple hours of playing it but due to all the praise it was getting I picked it back up again and ending up completely loving it.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MonkeySpot

So I went for a walk across the hills, found this grocery store...

:shock:

:o

:D

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#17 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

MonkeySpot

Is someone starting to like Fallout 3 just a little bit more?:P

ra84ma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ra84ma
Member since 2012 • 159 Posts

This game is not for everyone someone said...

but im really happy it is for me

is a really cool game, and slow start means, is not a shooting game (besides the first person view) you dont get hand grenades and a AK 47 at the veryu beginning... is about to explore... sometimes you find places that would be to hard to begin with... and so on

i have played the game twice and i really like it...

just go for a walk, find whats around, and you will get quests and so on...

great game!!!!!!!!!

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts

I just liked the freedom to explore. The world was just very immersive to me.

doolindesperado
This.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Yeah I thought that game got off to an extremely slow start. I had the most worthless gun in any video game I've ever played - I'd have had more luck throwing tennis balls at the enemies. And i wandered off in a direction different from Megaton so that screwed me up even more.

I went to some Quickie Mart (or something like that) and picked up every single empty bottle and bent tin can in the place - took numerous trips - and sold them at Megaton to make some money LOL.

It does get a lot better later on though. Some very cool guns and stuff.

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
Reading your later posts it sounds like you are starting to like the game a bit more. Like any Bethesda game it doesn't make you do anything. The game is what you make it. Undiscovered locations are marked on your map when you take on quests and the rest of the world reveals itself as you make you way here and there. Combat is definitely not the focus, after a while staying alive and dealing death is automatic. The game is all about exploration and an incredibly rewarding experience.
Ryan_Som

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Ryan_Som
Member since 2009 • 2474 Posts

MonkeySpot

I know EXACTLY where you are, and I'm just gonna say this: Use stealth. Seriously. That place is FILLED with raiders (at least 10). You'll easily be outnumbered. Stay crouched and creep around and just eavesdrop on their conversations.

Fallout 3 is a slow burner. It's not some actionfest punctuated by big set pieces. It's all about the random encounters and odd NPCs you come across. Experiment with different weapons and perks. I had the "Animal Friend" perk leveled all the way up when some raider started running after me with a bat. I look to the left and out of nowhere a Yao Guai (mutated grizzly bear) is running to MY defense. He rears back and swipes at the raider. One shot kill. I smiled. :D

When I first tried playing the game, I put in maybe 6-8 hours. I said, "This is boring" and quit playing. A few weeks went by and I started back from the beginning. Let me just say, I'm glad I did. I ended up putting over 120 hours into it and it's one of my favorite games of all time.

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Conjuration

MonkeySpot

\

Yep that's where things heated up for me. Be careful when you leave, those bandits are everywhere.

ydnarrewop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#24 ydnarrewop
Member since 2004 • 2291 Posts
One of my favs. I think I pumped about 300 hours into it. Give it a chance. It has it's quirky charm. Maybe it's the setting that you just can't get into. Could be the fantasy genre has you cemented. Give it a chance though. There are a lot, and I really mean A LOT of charming moments in this game that will have you say, "Cool, *happy face." But then again it's all subjective anyway...lol
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

Conjuration

\

Yep that's where things heated up for me. Be careful when you leave, those bandits are everywhere.

Yeah, to everyone - I'm in... Like I said, I did "Morrowind" for a goodly bit so I know that it's all about what's over the next hill, or river, or ocean... I was feeling goofy and wanted to talk about "Fallout 3" in-aprticular, though "Skyrim" is the hot topic. I got into the grocery store, and I'm proud of the fact that I managed to pick four locks, which I never thought I'd do, that was cool, and a nice mini-game mechanic. I put the beat-down on a TON of Raiders my first time (yes, I eventually died) and got into the locked room, looted like a fiend until I heard other Raiders return and discover I had kicked the **** out of their friends (and left more than a few naked - I didn't take the armor, I just stripped 'em - I have issues), but in trying to sneak out I got seen and they put a clip in my butt because I wasn't managing my stimpacks properly. I like the VATS. I know this isn't a shooter any more than "Skyrim" is a fight game, and i think the VATS is pretty nice. It's an RPG thing, and the reason why a lot of people I know didn't like "Fallout 3" (they had played that top-down shooter on the PS2), but I'm way into it.

I'll tell ya, after that grocery store, I forgot about my need for weapons.

I must have looked like Rambo.

I need to go back and just get out of the grocery store alive, with some guns in-hand...

... But I guess I'll stick with it for awhile and see where it takes me.

It didn't really download a huge patch or anything, and I've seen a few bugs (camera angles, etc) - Is this game as buggy as Bethesda games tend to be? I didn't get the GOTY edition, I got the reg'lar issue for $5 because I didn't know if I'd want MORE game than what I'm sure is already a huge proposition... As I said, I wandered "Morrowind" for a fair stretch...

... But I assume I should save early and save often?

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Conjuration

Yeah, to everyone - I'm in... Like I said, I did "Morrowind" for a goodly bit so I know that it's all about what's over the next hill, or river, or ocean... I was feeling goofy and wanted to talk about "Fallout 3" in-aprticular, though "Skyrim" is the hot topic. I got into the grocery store, and I'm proud of the fact that I managed to pick four locks, which I never thought I'd do, that was cool, and a nice mini-game mechanic. I put the beat-down on a TON of Raiders my first time (yes, I eventually died) and got into the locked room, looted like a fiend until I heard other Raiders return and discover I had kicked the **** out of their friends (and left more than a few naked - I didn't take the armor, I just stripped 'em - I have issues), but in trying to sneak out I got seen and they put a clip in my butt because I wasn't managing my stimpacks properly. I like the VATS. I know this isn't a shooter any more than "Skyrim" is a fight game, and i think the VATS is pretty nice. It's an RPG thing, and the reason why a lot of people I know didn't like "Fallout 3" (they had played that top-down shooter on the PS2), but I'm way into it.

I'll tell ya, after that grocery store, I forgot about my need for weapons.

I must have looked like Rambo.

I need to go back and just get out of the grocery store alive, with some guns in-hand...

... But I guess I'll stick with it for awhile and see where it takes me.

It didn't really download a huge patch or anything, and I've seen a few bugs (camera angles, etc) - Is this game as buggy as Bethesda games tend to be? I didn't get the GOTY edition, I got the reg'lar issue for $5 because I didn't know if I'd want MORE game than what I'm sure is already a huge proposition... As I said, I wandered "Morrowind" for a fair stretch...

... But I assume I should save early and save often?

MonkeySpot

That's right; you should make saving a big-time habit. And I know it goes without saying, but make a generous amount of save files for yourself to rotate in case anything goes awry.

And it's good you realize so early that you do have to manage your Stimpacks. They're not a rare item or anything, but it pays to hold onto them because you never know what you might find yourself in next.

I hear the GOTY edition is somehow much buggier than the standard version. So you made the right call there.

Good luck out there and don't listen to too much 3DAWG AWWOOOOOO!!! he might drive you insane. But listen at first because he lets a few interesting clues for you to follow. Have fun ttyl

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MonkeySpot

I have to be in the mood for this kind of game, and it's been a long time since I put in on one, the last being "Morrowind"... Are there guild structures in this game, or do you just level up through doing?

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 anime_gamer007

I have to be in the mood for this kind of game, and it's been a long time since I put in on one, the last being "Morrowind"... Are there guild structures in this game, or do you just level up through doing?

MonkeySpot
No real factions or guilds. The closest thing that comes to that are the Enclave and the Brotherhood of Steel.
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

I thought the beginning was decent, I actually was never really bored with the whole 80 hours I played it. It just depends on the person.

naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 naju890_963
Member since 2008 • 8954 Posts

I agree the start is slow and you don't get alot of direction. Also trying to find some side quests is kinda difficult making me go to wikis and searching for them. The shooting is very choppy but the VATS system makes up for it. Still It's a fun game even with these irratating problems.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#31 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
It was a slow start for me and I had a hard time getting into it the first few times I tried to play it. Soon enough I got into it. Can't really explain how. But anyway, it ended up being one of my favorite games of all time. So I say give it a chance. There's no clear direction. Do what you want, when you went. Explore outside of the main quests. Recruit some companions, collect unique items, explore locations. I get them some people just can't get into this game, and I understand given how I started out.
NightStein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NightStein
Member since 2009 • 1084 Posts
I just bought this game the GOTY edition, great atmosphere, i just hope it's not that buggy.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MonkeySpot

I just bought this game the GOTY edition, great atmosphere, i just hope it's not that buggy.NightStein

Earlier in this thread, someone posted that the GOTY Edition has even more bugs than the original release - Which might make sense, as the GOTY has more content, so therefor has more stuff to potentially go wrong. I think, just save a lot, and keep at least three saves going in rotation so that you can always reload form somewhere close to a crash or a glitch, and you'll be fine.

:)

jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts
There certainly are a lot of bugs and the game locks up periodically. As far as factions, etc, it's kind of like Oblivion Lite. I love Fallout 3 but am working on finishing it then moving on to Nev Vegas. I usually play good characters and this game is no exception. My character is a goody-two-shoes, but the last goody-two-shoes the raiders and Enclave troops ever see.
ddlcpc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ddlcpc
Member since 2007 • 887 Posts

after couple of hours from the chapter i left the game.... then after 2 - 3 moth i completed game just for sake of having it... so, ya...

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MonkeySpot

Getting wicked-good with the 10mm handgun. Lots of critical hits. I like the leveling and perk system. VATS is the best thing I've seen in an RPG for a long time. Is it possible to take over places like that grocery store gang headquarters? Can I erradicate them from the place for good if I kill 'em all?

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

[QUOTE="NightStein"]I just bought this game the GOTY edition, great atmosphere, i just hope it's not that buggy.MonkeySpot

Earlier in this thread, someone posted that the GOTY Edition has even more bugs than the original release - Which might make sense, as the GOTY has more content, so therefor has more stuff to potentially go wrong. I think, just save a lot, and keep at least three saves going in rotation so that you can always reload form somewhere close to a crash or a glitch, and you'll be fine.

It only really lags and crash at Broken Steel and some other DLC, otherwise, the game runs fine.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MonkeySpot

Heh.

So I got home from work, had a slice of pizza, and got back into "Fallout 3"...

... With very few breaks, and without noticing the clock at ALL, suddenly, it's bedtime.

Yeah, I can see this game becoming a problem...

:P

... found this factory, y'see... Aaaaaaand...

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 anime_gamer007

Heh.

So I got home from work, had a slice of pizza, and got back into "Fallout 3"...

... With very few breaks, and without noticing the clock at ALL, suddenly, it's bedtime.

Yeah, I can see this game becoming a problem...

:P

... found this factory, y'see... Aaaaaaand...

MonkeySpot
Yep, sounds like the start of the addiction as with every Bethesda game :P
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MonkeySpot

Well, I wouldn't say 'addicted'. As with my last Bethesda outing, I'm not all that jazzed about the severely open-world approach, "The Game Is What You Make It" kind of things. I get extremely bored of running amok, and just exploring until I get a shot taken at me or a beasty jumps my ****. I'm the guy who got bored with GTA after the 3rd game (the one that took it TPS back on PS2) and ended up driving cab in Vice City for an hour before giving the game to my roommate and never playing it again. It's admirable, but it's so pointless all at the same time. There's really no focus, and that's not really my thing, which is why "Amalur" was more attractive than "Skyrim" for me... I simply don't have the amounts of time a game like this takes to appreciate it for it's accomplishments... It sucks my time up, sure. I can walk around until something happens, I can take a quest but none of the quests interest me at all...

Save my dad from the ants.

Take this letter to the overpass.

Bore Bore Bore, Blah blah blah.

I get it, this is a big ol' world with ghouls and ants and spitting flies and Raiders and just about everything including the puddles of water will kill you if you're not careful - And it's neat-o... But I don't think I'll be playing for very much longer (which, again, is why I got the $7 version not the $20 GOTY Edition). This was more to see what Bethesda has done since my "Morrowinding". One thing I will say, is that the load times on this game aren't nearly what "Morrowind" was on the Xbox... THAT game, you hit the load portion, and went out for a meal or a walk...

It's a cool game, but I think most of it just goes over my head, and away from my thumbs. I'm not puting anyone down, if this is the greatest game on your shelf I respect that.

octoman115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 octoman115
Member since 2010 • 765 Posts

Yeah the start was really really slow for me and I just about gave it up. I kept going and after over 100 hours and collecting all the trophies from both the main game and all the DLC I can now say that it is amazing. One of my favorite games of all time. In fact probably only Demon's Souls and Ocarina of Time beat it.

I actually enjoyed Fallout 3 more once I lowered the difficulty because the combat is kind of dull so I got bored at higher levels with some bullet sponge enemies. It relied far too much on VATS for my liking.

dezle_1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dezle_1234
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
yeh the first few minutes of the game i regreted buying it then a few hours later i couldn`t get off it, yeh i relied heavily on vats aswell slow motion head shots are allways awesome ! hopefully they release the next fallout on the same engine as skyrim because the no sprint button on fallout was anoying espicialy after going from skyrim back to fallout but still a great game.
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#43 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

It has a slow beginning, but I didn't mind it. And once you get out into the Wasteland an incredible experience starts to begin. Amazing game imo!

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MonkeySpot

It has a slow beginning, but I didn't mind it. And once you get out into the Wasteland an incredible experience starts to begin. Amazing game imo!

Venom_Raptor

I see absolutely nothing "amazing" about this game whatsoever. Sorry. Just gonna have to agree to disagree.

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Conjuration

[QUOTE="Venom_Raptor"]

MonkeySpot

I see absolutely nothing "amazing" about this game whatsoever. Sorry. Just gonna have to agree to disagree.

For myself, I never beat FO3 when I first got it. It wasn't until well-after I beat New Vegas that I was inspired to go back and finish it.
New Vegas kicks the livng s*** out of FO3. It is my honest opinion that anyone who would tell you otherwise is basically just a perma-sucker for hype.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

[QUOTE="Venom_Raptor"]

Conjuration

For myself, I never beat FO3 when I first got it. It wasn't until well-after I beat New Vegas that I was inspired to go back and finish it.
New Vegas kicks the livng s*** out of FO3. It is my honest opinion that anyone who would tell you otherwise is basically just a perma-sucker for hype.

I think my perceptions of NV would be the same as what I'm feeling about FO3. It's not a bad game, I think that people who love it have valid reasons, and iwould never question someone's enjoyment playing it. I guess I just like a bit more structure in my game design.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#47 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

The game is kinda slower paced, but that's how alot of Bethesda games are. The fun is in the exploration and the charecter development.