Sony to push forward PlayStation 4 plans if PS3 support wanes after jailbreak?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tx-1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Tx-1000
Member since 2005 • 890 Posts

There's been so much written about the PlayStation 3 jailbreak in recent weeks that it's all too easy to glaze over the facts and put it down as another victory for piracy. But after numerous commentators speculated that this is one exploit Sony can't fight back against and that the PS3 is actually 'cracked for good' what does this mean for the future of the console? And does it mean we're likely to see the PlayStation 4 a whole lot sooner than we were meant to be?

With the release of Sony's Move controller and Microsoft's Kinect camera, the two big console developers were clearly hoping to extend this generation's life-span above and beyond the traditional 5 year cycle. Phenomenal sales of the Nintendo's Wii have proved that consumers are extremely receptive to innovation and forward thinking, regardless of whether it comes at the expense of driving technlogy forward. And in a Western world where HDTV and broadband penetration is still surprisingly low overall, Sony and Microsoft were no doubt quite pleased with the extra time afforded to them to develop their next generation of consoles and controllers.

However, with the PlayStation 3 being blown open in such a way and with the inevitable rampant piracy that's inevitably going to follow, for how long will support for PlayStation 3 remain profitable and sustainable? And in an ironic but ultimately cruel twist of fate, will this jailbreak actually lead to a massive increase in sales of the console?

On a day when Activision publicly stated that there's little, if not nothing, it can do to combat the hacking of its Call of Duty servers, public confidence in the console is surely at an all-time low.

Robert Bowling of Infinity Ward told Eurogamer that: "Games rely on the security of the encryption on the platforms they're played on, therefore; updates to the game through patches will not resolve this problem, unless the security exploit itself is resolved on the platform.

"Regretfully, Call of Duty games are receiving the bulk of the hacker's attention, due to its high player counts and popularity. However, the number of legitimate players severely outweighs the bad apples."

Of course the biggest concern should be that if Sony does set the wheels in motion and hurries the PlayStation 4 out of the door before it's good and ready, will the quality of its hardware suffer a similar fate to that of the first 360 consoles which were terribly prone to red-ring failures. Or, will a reduced development period lead to another slap-dash attempt at securing what could be a make or break console release for Sony? Only time will tell.

Source: http://www.allaboutthegames.co.uk/feature_story.php?headline=Sony-to-push-forward-PlayStation-4-plans-if-PS3-support-wanes-after-jailbreak-&article_id=11561

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
Thats bogus.. Its not gonna change much, the number of hackers compared to the number of actual systems is nothing, and Robert Bowlings comment was in regards to COD which has always been poorly protected and a generally shoddy product. Whoever wrote that article is just talking out of their ass.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#3 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
I for one had never believed any of Sony's marketing about sticking with a "ten year plan" for any console. The only reason it's been actually sticking with it for the PS2, is because of neutering support for it out of the ps3. That said, you'd have to be a damn fool to expect sony to wait until the ps3 is ten years old before releasing another console; Especially considering the competition.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

I for one had never believed any of Sony's marketing about sticking with a "ten year plan" for any console. The only reason it's been actually sticking with it for the PS2, is because of neutering support for it out of the ps3. That said, you'd have to be a damn fool to expect sony to wait until the ps3 is ten years old before releasing another console; Especially considering the competition.codezer0

You misinterpret. Sony did not say, the ps3 was a ten year plan before another console arrives. I also doubt that the ten year plan will stick but not for the reasons you do. Sony was on the top the last two generations.

Also I don't see where your comments about PS2 still selling due to lack of BC in PS3. PS1 games were still sold into the year 2005 despite BC in PS2, so your logic has no foundation.

You need to get over the whole BC issue anyway. It has been over a year and all you do in the PS3 boards in complain about the lack BC.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gamenerd15

There have been hacks for every system and that did not stop any of them from selling, so I don't see what the big deal is. The PS3 finally got hacked the Wii and 360. The system is not going to go down because of it. Who has blu ray burners? Most of the general public probably doesn't. I am sure some people do as well.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

But after numerous commentators speculated that this is one exploit Sony can't fight back against and that the PS3 is actually 'cracked for good'

Tx-1000

I put about as much faith in that as I do in anything else I read on the internet. I do hope a lot of people believe it though, because I'll have a good laugh when they all get banned.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
Hardware sales will increase Software sales will decrease The 360 was hacked shortly after it was released and it's doing just fine, likewise with the Wii. People just overreact because it's the PS3.
fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

Sue those who are using it for piracy. Selling modified PS3s. Sue those who supply CFW that enables piracy. Ban anyone using CFW who steps on Playstation Network.

Make these people pay and send out a message to anyone else who wants to give it a go.

It won't stop it but it sure will help.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 codezer0

[QUOTE="codezer0"]I for one had never believed any of Sony's marketing about sticking with a "ten year plan" for any console. The only reason it's been actually sticking with it for the PS2, is because of neutering support for it out of the ps3. That said, you'd have to be a damn fool to expect sony to wait until the ps3 is ten years old before releasing another console; Especially considering the competition.gamenerd15

You misinterpret. Sony did not say, the ps3 was a ten year plan before another console arrives. I also doubt that the ten year plan will stick but not for the reasons you do. Sony was on the top the last two generations.

Also I don't see where your comments about PS2 still selling due to lack of BC in PS3. PS1 games were still sold into the year 2005 despite BC in PS2, so your logic has no foundation.

You need to get over the whole BC issue anyway. It has been over a year and all you do in the PS3 boards in complain about the lack BC.

Um, no, there weren't. You couldn't even find a PS1 within two years of the PS2 being on the market. And accessories (particularly memory cards) became difficult to find once again almost immediately after the PS2's launch. Even now, with Sony having waived the fee for pressing discs for the PS2 (you still need the SDK first), there's been **** all in terms of new PS2 games. The last two I remember seeing come out in stores were Ghostbusters and Toy Story 3. None of the sports games come out to the PS2 anymore, and the thing's been pretty much tapped out in terms of power. Well, it also had the most convoluted SDK back then too... :? If anything, the GC and Xbox should have continued longer as they had easier SDK's to work with, IMO. Finally, I have every right to complain about the BC situation with the ps3. As it is, there's no suitable replacement on the market if my 60gig model fails for whatever reason, and it's all $ony's fault. :evil:
AndromedasWake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AndromedasWake
Member since 2010 • 256 Posts
Um, no, there weren't. You couldn't even find a PS1 within two years of the PS2 being on the market.codezer0
Actually, I saw PSone on the shelf at some retailers as late as 2007, still trying to clear stock. Was readily able to buy memory cards at that time, still, as well. Maybe that wasn't the case in your particular area, though. Wal-Mart still has PS2's in the case now, as well.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Sony will release another revision of the PS3 instead of releasing Playstation 4. Both PS1 and PS2 have had more then 3 revisions. So another Playstation 3 remodel is likely should this warrent it.

Playstation 4 is still a long ways off.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 codezer0

Sony will release another revision of the PS3 instead of releasing Playstation 4. Both PS1 and PS2 have had more then 3 revisions. So another Playstation 3 remodel is likely should this warrent it.

Megavideogamer
Actually, if you look at the serial numbers, there have been more than a dozen internal revisions for the PS1 alone, and close to two dozen with the PS2/two. There's already about 30 for the PS3.
Avatar image for untouchables111
untouchables111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 untouchables111
Member since 2005 • 1650 Posts
i dont see sony going any faster toward the ps4. i mean as other have said the other systems have all been hacked and nothing has happened to them. i think the technology is was to young to go forward with a new system. i mean look at the hardware diff between ps2 to ps3. waaay diff. there is not much we could expect from sony even in another 2 years. also i have really yet to feel that this gen's game have filled that void of great gaming. just about all shooters have been crap on some lvl. and hacking lag-switching and other forms of cheating have and will prob continue to get worse. rpg's have been only partial great. i have been really anticipating FF 14 online, and i am glad that they have pushed it back because i want an all fronts covered game. nearly every game i have played since day 1 has felt like a small taste of what games could be.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
[QUOTE="Megavideogamer"]

codezer0
Actually, if you look at the serial numbers, there have been more than a dozen internal revisions for the PS1 alone, and close to two dozen with the PS2/two. There's already about 30 for the PS3.

I can confirm this with my ps1s I have three and everyone has some sort of difference internally and rare but externally as well.
War_Chiefs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 War_Chiefs
Member since 2007 • 119 Posts

. None of the sports games come out to the PS2 anymore, :codezer0
you can get fifa 11 on ps2

but ye people who keep sayin all this need to chill nothin will happen to the ps3.its still goin to be there for a long time they wont rush the playstation 4 as if they do it will be sh*t and who would want it anyway then

punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts

I wouldn't expect a PS4 anytime soon. PS3 is only 3+ years old.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

Sue those who are using it for piracy. Selling modified PS3s. Sue those who supply CFW that enables piracy. Ban anyone using CFW who steps on Playstation Network.

Make these people pay and send out a message to anyone else who wants to give it a go.

fusionhunter

Tell that to the RIAA about torrents and other DL sites..lol..People have been sued for a LOT of money several times but it still goes on daily. Warning does nothing...Tell a kid not to do something again and what does the kid do???..he does it again..Its human nature to not listen and do something until you are caught and severely punished.

Wuflungdung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 Wuflungdung
Member since 2007 • 634 Posts

they can't get banned if you don't report them

http://np.us.playstation.com/complaint/pc/ComplaintForm.aspx

fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

[QUOTE="fusionhunter"]

VanDammFan

Tell that to the RIAA about torrents and other DL sites..lol..People have been sued for a LOT of money several times but it still goes on daily. Warning does nothing...Tell a kid not to do something again and what does the kid do???..he does it again..Its human nature to not listen and do something until you are caught and severely punished.

Limewire lost to the RIAA.

People selling modified consoles have been sued and caught by undercover agents. Not all these people are "Kids" and know what their doing is wrong. It's not human nature it's a indivdual decision from right and wrong when your grown up.

It will help reduce the amount people selling modded consoles and posting modded firmware online. If someone at home can search up some CFW that runs pirated games, so can Sony and it's not so hard to track down who's doing it.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

Hardware sales will increase Software sales will decrease The 360 was hacked shortly after it was released and it's doing just fine, likewise with the Wii. People just overreact because it's the PS3.MushroomWig

I think people were so bought and sold on the fact that PS3 was deemed "unhackable". The shock sets in that Sony's console isn't invincible after all. All new devices using new and expensive technology, are inevitably cracked over time as patterns begin to emerge and said technology becomes cheaper. Also, over bearing control seems to entice hackers a lot further. I think it's a load of crap to whine over a piece of hardware. Let's be realistic here folks. We would all have something to actually worry about is PSN itself was broken and exploited. When they can hack users accounts, send viruses, worm clusters and trojans. Then we can worry and crap our pants. Otherwise, it doesn't personally affect us.

To close, I don't buy into that crap that piracy eats into the quality of games. That isn't true at all. Greed and BS video game industry politics and red tape has been doing that. Why else do you think you're expected to pay even more money for the rest of the game you just paid $60/$70 for...?

I know both sides of the coin. Every game has a new protection protocol that hasn't stopped them before. Don't think it suddenly "does" now.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

[QUOTE="VanDammFan"]

[QUOTE="fusionhunter"]

fusionhunter

Limewire lost to the RIAA.

People selling modified consoles have been sued and caught by undercover agents. Not all these people are "Kids" and know what their doing is wrong. It's not human nature it's a indivdual decision from right and wrong when your grown up.

It will help reduce the amount people selling modded consoles and posting modded firmware online. If someone at home can search up some CFW that runs pirated games, so can Sony and it's not so hard to track down who's doing it.

The RIAA goes after eight year olds and senior citizens for downloading one Kenny G song. They are nothing but a inefficient bureaucrat body sucking funds and resources dry. They don't help the situation at all.

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

Nah, this wont force out the PS3 any sooner. The fact it took this long for the PS3 to be hacked is pretty impressive on Sony's part.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 codezer0

Nah, this wont force out the PS3 any sooner. The fact it took this long for the PS3 to be hacked is pretty impressive on Sony's part.

Bubble_Man
That's if you look at it from launch to when it was "fully hacked". If you look at it from the time Sony first removed OtherOS by releasing the Slim without that functionality, it has been "unhacked" for a relatively standard amount of time.
Avatar image for NuclearWhoppers
NuclearWhoppers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NuclearWhoppers
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
That would suck it would just prove that sony lost to hackers.
Blue_Shield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Blue_Shield
Member since 2010 • 2610 Posts
He was talking in terms of the general market, and in that regard, he was correct. PS1 was seeing support until 2005, at least. There will always be exceptions to the rule, and for whatever it is worth, even in my small town, where K-mart was (and still is) is the only B&M store of its sort in the town, I remember seeing PS1 systems until at least 2003, and PS1 software until at least 2004. Otherwise, that's what online shopping was (and stil is) for. In regards to the PS2 software, games are still, technically, being released. Granted, the quanity is really limited, and many would argue the general quality of them, but they are infact being released. WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2011, for example. Even so, I am not exactly sure what you are expecting? PS2 is going on 11 years in the North American market. Other than the Atari 2600, I cannot recall a home console having a longer life-span than that. To me, that is pretty damn impressive. Honestly, if the PS2 supports matters to you that much, why not purchase a PS2? They are still easy to find, and at 100 bucks, IMHO, they are relativly cheap in comparision to the other home consoles on the market.
istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts

Educate yourself! Besides, piracy will only help Sony in that more people will want a PS3 now. Not that much more, but more still. The PSP is doing just fine too. The games for it suck because it's a crippled console. If it had a 3D gimmick (wink wink) it would definitely be selling better but the games would still suck because it's trying to be something it can't be. Handhelds are for simple, usually 2D games, not RPGs that have savepoints 15 minutes away from each other and no auto save...

But I digress! Sony did everything to themselves. The funniest part is that I'm sure the PS4 will lack all the features that made the PS3 unnecessary to hack (OtherOS, back-compat, free online, and region free games), and will therefore be hacked much much quicker.

jwn25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jwn25
Member since 2006 • 149 Posts

I love the logic of some people, Sony's product A got hacked so natrually when they lose sales due to piracy/whatever they will drop a ton of money bringing something new out. tbh the people moaning about BC going should take a chill pill and if they want to play ps2 games so badly just go and buy themselves a second user ps2, which you can pick up for little or nothing these days

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

The market has been illogical since the release of CD burner allowing anybody to copy any kind of files, first step allowing high level piracy and of course sell of pirated products. Then on with DVD. And of course the internet with very soon software allowing file exchange like emule. that was the moment where companies had to intervene by programming or legal ways to stop that. They didn't (as they didn't for the CD/DVD nurners).

So it's all their fault for not securing their product.

In France we had a recent law called HADOPI about illegal copy. There were 3 different votes about it. The law is very badly written, can not be put into practice as it is, we need in France a decree of application that is still not forecast ... And anyway for the past laws concerning illegal copy, some epople with blurred face were presented in the news, but noone I know or on forums or in other parts of France know anyone that went on trial for that. Here it's just manipulation and threats from the politics but no action.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 codezer0
Honestly, if the PS2 supports matters to you that much, why not purchase a PS2? They are still easy to find, and at 100 bucks, IMHO, they are relativly cheap in comparision to the other home consoles on the market. Blue_Shield
I already do. I have a v7 phat model, and have been using its hard drive bay and HDLoader to keep it on life support. But that's not the point. The reason I'd rather use the PS3, is simple... outside of maybe a couple out of my whole library, the games I have look better on the ps3, than they do on the PS2... even when I use the same exact cables on both systems. And because Sony has made it incredibly aggravating to find a single PS1 or PS2 emulator that works, I'm stuck with having to buy their crap hardware to continue to play the games I own. I've tried tons of different such emulators so I wouldn't have to continue to futz with Sony's craptastic hardware any longer. Problem is, even when I get one to work and play right the first time, it will for some reason stop working anymore just a few short days later, even when I made a point NOT to change any further settings. The only emulator that didn't do this to me, was Bleem, and even though they did not use any official Sony code to make theirs work, Sony sued them out of existence, so I can't even find the app anymore, much less buy it.
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I don't see Playstation 4 appearance for at least 2-3 more years. It makes no business sense to release the product when the current machine is gaining momentum and has many games on the horizon. Not even 5% of ps3 population will utilise so called hacks that are being overblown in recent media outlets.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gamenerd15

gamenerd, do you have nothing better to do than to try and annoy me? First off, what good is it for them to be released if no store will carry it? Or that no rental outlet will stock the game in order to even try to play it? As stated, HERE you couldn't even find a new PS1 anywhere within the first two years of the PS2's release, and accessories and games followed suit not long after that. And even now, the PS2 is basically getting a trickle of real crap games at this point in its life... which I find ironic when the PS2 had the worst SDK out of the four systems (inclusive) it was competing with. Considering the insane amount of money it took for me to have one working PS3 that wasn't neutered, I have every right to complain about what Sony is doing and how they've screwed me over. Why? Because in case you haven't figured it out, they did screw me over, by making such shoddy, unreliable hardware, and not backing their product like an ethical, reputable company would. Even automotive manufacturers still support their vehicles past their warranty dates with parts and specs so that other companies can at least create compatible equipment to repair them. Yet we're all just supposed to bend over backwards because it's Sony? I don't think so.codezer0

Do you have nothing better to do than bash Sony on the PS3 forums for over a year, whining about how your PS3 broke? Every PS3 topic you post, you hint at the BC issue, even when it is not being brought up, you bring it up. I am going after people now. If you are going to annoy the forums, then I am going to shut you down.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gamenerd15

gamenerd, do you have nothing better to do than to try and annoy me? First off, what good is it for them to be released if no store will carry it? Or that no rental outlet will stock the game in order to even try to play it? As stated, HERE you couldn't even find a new PS1 anywhere within the first two years of the PS2's release, and accessories and games followed suit not long after that. And even now, the PS2 is basically getting a trickle of real crap games at this point in its life... which I find ironic when the PS2 had the worst SDK out of the four systems (inclusive) it was competing with. Considering the insane amount of money it took for me to have one working PS3 that wasn't neutered, I have every right to complain about what Sony is doing and how they've screwed me over. Why? Because in case you haven't figured it out, they did screw me over, by making such shoddy, unreliable hardware, and not backing their product like an ethical, reputable company would. Even automotive manufacturers still support their vehicles past their warranty dates with parts and specs so that other companies can at least create compatible equipment to repair them. Yet we're all just supposed to bend over backwards because it's Sony? I don't think so.codezer0

I bought Mega Man X5 and X7 at the same time at a gamestop in 03, so your whole issue with games not being carried falls on deaf ears.

Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
I think Sony is taking the right steps for now. They are going after GeoHack and his buddies through the courts to shut them down and possibly make it illegal to distribute custom FW for the console. In the mean time, they are certainly working the problem. I hope it isn't as bad as it seems. It could very well be they will have to roll out another console. I agree with an earlier poster who suggested they would roll out a new version of the PS3 first. This would be the cheaper solution and keep them on their 10 year business model. They want to be able to sell PS3s well into the PS4 life cycle. As pointed out, rushing the PS4 could also have bad consequences similar to what 360 experienced.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 codezer0
I think Sony is taking the right steps for now. They are going after GeoHack and his buddies through the courts to shut them down and possibly make it illegal to distribute custom FW for the console.-ArchAngeL-777-
Which, if you've bothered to read the court docs and the like, you'd also realize how fail Sony's "defense" is. The whole case is nothing but a scare tactic, with Sony trying to use the law to scare off people who want to pick apart the system and use it to run their own code. Despite what Sony wants others to believe, it is not illegal to write code for a piece of hardware that it could understand. It is also not illegal to know the numeric key that their digital signatures are based off of, either. However, what Sony did by pulling OtherOS is illegal in Consumer Protection Laws. Remember Sarbanes-Oxley? And that's just here in the states... EU has much stricter Consumer Protection laws in place for this sort of thing, and Sony's still trying to (fruitlessly) defend its decision in court. Even the BC issue would have fallen under that same spectrum, so Sony needed a legal C.Y.A. to do it... which is why at least at first, there were a notification on the box in bright red letters stating that "this model cannot play PlayStation2 software"... and apparently, that's enough for the states to allow them. :roll:
VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 VanDammFan

[QUOTE="-ArchAngeL-777-"]I think Sony is taking the right steps for now. They are going after GeoHack and his buddies through the courts to shut them down and possibly make it illegal to distribute custom FW for the console.codezer0
Which, if you've bothered to read the court docs and the like, you'd also realize how fail Sony's "defense" is. The whole case is nothing but a scare tactic, with Sony trying to use the law to scare off people who want to pick apart the system and use it to run their own code. Despite what Sony wants others to believe, it is not illegal to write code for a piece of hardware that it could understand. It is also not illegal to know the numeric key that their digital signatures are based off of, either. However, what Sony did by pulling OtherOS is illegal in Consumer Protection Laws. Remember Sarbanes-Oxley? And that's just here in the states... EU has much stricter Consumer Protection laws in place for this sort of thing, and Sony's still trying to (fruitlessly) defend its decision in court. Even the BC issue would have fallen under that same spectrum, so Sony needed a legal C.Y.A. to do it... which is why at least at first, there were a notification on the box in bright red letters stating that "this model cannot play PlayStation2 software"... and apparently, that's enough for the states to allow them. :roll:

I have been reading your replies and I feel your pain. BUT if you think b&*g about this is going to help you are crying on deaf ears bro. I hate MS after this gen of god aweful hardware,LIVE cost going up,and on top of that games being 60$. BUT with all my complaining over the last 6 years its done nothing to help the problem. You know what helped????...Me dropping MS. Thats what helped me. If SONY is killing you with these problems drop them, move on. You are not binded to them. Sure you have some games you want to play 10 years from now, great, so do I. BUT those days are about gone with completely horrible hardware these days..and really the last 10 years its been touch and go.

Move on man...quit complaining cause its not gonna work.

jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts
So instead of fixing the problem, searching for hackers and banning them, they are just gonna drop the ps3 and make a new console ? Yeah, that's smart. -sigh-
VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 VanDammFan

So instead of fixing the problem, searching for hackers and banning them, they are just gonna drop the ps3 and make a new console ? Yeah, that's smart. -sigh-jack00

If you or anyone thinks that...im sorry, but its not gonna happen. There is not a system made since the beginning of time that has not been hacked in some for or fasion. Its nothing to even worry with and im getting a kick out of reading all the threads on this..its making my day..lol..people are funny

Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts

Nice post TC! Not only do I see Sony comming out with the PS4 very soon, I believe we will see the birth of a PSN monthly service fee.

I believe out of the three powerhouses (Wii, Microsoft, Sony) that Sony is last in the console race. It would be logical for Sony to make the first move in attempts to try something new, especially to recover lost customer moral.

This just makes perfect sense to release a brand new console first, at low cost, with a monthly service fee to re-coup the losses of selling a cheap system. Add on golden promises that gamers have been looking for to help build lost moral...and its a sound plan to bounce back from this.

When will they do this? Time will tell...but Sony has dropped some bombs on their customer base with titles like Medal of Honor, GT5 and Black Op's gaining uproar from the community and it would not surprise me at all to see them release a new console to save them.

If I had to put a date on it. I honestly believe 2012 Christmas season. I'm calling it now :)

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
Dude, there is so much wrong with that post. lol. You should honestly just stop buying Sony products if that's how you feel. I don't see how Sony has done any worse than other console manufacturers this gen. They've been just as "ethical" as the others while their hardware has been more reliable than a certain one. Sony also gave users tons of freedom with peripherals and upgrade options - something you have to pay an arm and a leg for to get for another console. Those freedoms have been only slightly hindered and its because of the hackers you so eagerly support.
2beers_in_hand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 2beers_in_hand
Member since 2007 • 2950 Posts
Thats bogus.. Its not gonna change much, the number of hackers compared to the number of actual systems is nothing, and Robert Bowlings comment was in regards to COD which has always been poorly protected and a generally shoddy product. Whoever wrote that article is just talking out of their ass.PoisoN_Facecam0
Cheers!!! Game save hacks have been around since CoD 4 TC well before the PS3 was ever hacked... The PS2 and PSP were both hacked and guess what TC they are both still around. Enough of the doom and gloom people this will not be the end of everything as we know it for the PS3...
Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts

[QUOTE="codezer0"]gamenerd, do you have nothing better to do than to try and annoy me? First off, what good is it for them to be released if no store will carry it? Or that no rental outlet will stock the game in order to even try to play it? As stated, HERE you couldn't even find a new PS1 anywhere within the first two years of the PS2's release, and accessories and games followed suit not long after that. And even now, the PS2 is basically getting a trickle of real crap games at this point in its life... which I find ironic when the PS2 had the worst SDK out of the four systems (inclusive) it was competing with. Considering the insane amount of money it took for me to have one working PS3 that wasn't neutered, I have every right to complain about what Sony is doing and how they've screwed me over. Why? Because in case you haven't figured it out, they did screw me over, by making such shoddy, unreliable hardware, and not backing their product like an ethical, reputable company would. Even automotive manufacturers still support their vehicles past their warranty dates with parts and specs so that other companies can at least create compatible equipment to repair them. Yet we're all just supposed to bend over backwards because it's Sony? I don't think so.MrSelf-Destruct
Dude, there is so much wrong with that post. lol. You should honestly just stop buying Sony products if that's how you feel. I don't see how Sony has done any worse than other console manufacturers this gen. They've been just as "ethical" as the others while their hardware has been more reliable than a certain one. Sony also gave users tons of freedom with peripherals and upgrade options - something you have to pay an arm and a leg for to get for another console. Those freedoms have been only slightly hindered and its because of the hackers you so eagerly support.

You make a good point MrSD. When I think about it, Sony is still doing pretty good despite some hick-ups. If anything, Sony may just use this as an opportunity as a selling point for something new to sell. The spotlight is on themright now and I believe they will take advantage of it. I agree with a lot of people here that this isn't the beginning of the PS3apocalypse and although it may have an effect, this is being blown out of porportion. If anything, codezer0 sounds like a bitter customer constantly voicing his pain. Nothing wrong with that, I just choose to ignore it like a streetside doomsday yeller.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 codezer0
Dude, there is so much wrong with that post. lol. You should honestly just stop buying Sony products if that's how you feel. I don't see how Sony has done any worse than other console manufacturers this gen. They've been just as "ethical" as the others while their hardware has been more reliable than a certain one. Sony also gave users tons of freedom with peripherals and upgrade options - something you have to pay an arm and a leg for to get for another console. Those freedoms have been only slightly hindered and its because of the hackers you so eagerly support. MrSelf-Destruct
Done nothing wrong? Oh, you mean like how they took away the parallel port on PS1's, which denied two of the single best accessories for the PlayStation in its entire lifespan - the Gameshark Pro, and the VMEM utility, so that users wouldn't have to spend a small fortune carrying around a literal stack of memory cards for their games? Or removing the industry-standard A/V out ports that allowed devices like the Namco Guncon, a licensed peripheral to work? Or how Sony removed the MIPS chip from PS2's that enabled hardware BC for PS1 games, leading to an imperfect, software BC for PStwo's, along with removal of the HDD connectivity and functionality? Believe me, I don't want to give Sony any more money, but in case you haven't realized it by now, I'm kind of in a bind. Because by the time each system conked out, I'd since bought some games for the system that were both really good, and/or cannot be had on another console, or on PC for that matter. I've even looked into emulation, and tried getting numerous different emulators to work, all with varying degrees of success the first time, and having no success after which to get any of them to load anything. The only emulator I'd had success with out of all of them was Bleem!, which Sony promptly sued out of existence, even though post-mortem submissions proved that the company behind bleem, used no stolen Sony code whatsoever for its emulator program. And now because of them, I can't even get that app legitimately. :evil: And with such a lousy experience for PS1 emulation, I'd not even bothered with PS2 emulation, because I just don't have the time or patience to deal with more aggravation in fighting with apps to get them to work only to have them stop working just two days later. So with that said, I need to - irritatingly - put up with more Sony hardware, to play the games that I own, and wish to play. And before you say "well just buy a PS2 then"... I did. And the problem is, the ps2 looks like complete ass on any TV now, even with component video cables. Actually, the same games played on the PS3, with the same component video cables no less, look better on the same TV, than if the games were played on the actual PS2. That in itself is a reason why I'd rather be able to play them on the PS3 instead.
Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"]Dude, there is so much wrong with that post. lol. You should honestly just stop buying Sony products if that's how you feel. I don't see how Sony has done any worse than other console manufacturers this gen. They've been just as "ethical" as the others while their hardware has been more reliable than a certain one. Sony also gave users tons of freedom with peripherals and upgrade options - something you have to pay an arm and a leg for to get for another console. Those freedoms have been only slightly hindered and its because of the hackers you so eagerly support. codezer0
Done nothing wrong? Oh, you mean like how they took away the parallel port on PS1's, which denied two of the single best accessories for the PlayStation in its entire lifespan - the Gameshark Pro, and the VMEM utility, so that users wouldn't have to spend a small fortune carrying around a literal stack of memory cards for their games? Or removing the industry-standard A/V out ports that allowed devices like the Namco Guncon, a licensed peripheral to work? Or how Sony removed the MIPS chip from PS2's that enabled hardware BC for PS1 games, leading to an imperfect, software BC for PStwo's, along with removal of the HDD connectivity and functionality? Believe me, I don't want to give Sony any more money, but in case you haven't realized it by now, I'm kind of in a bind. Because by the time each system conked out, I'd since bought some games for the system that were both really good, and/or cannot be had on another console, or on PC for that matter. I've even looked into emulation, and tried getting numerous different emulators to work, all with varying degrees of success the first time, and having no success after which to get any of them to load anything. The only emulator I'd had success with out of all of them was Bleem!, which Sony promptly sued out of existence, even though post-mortem submissions proved that the company behind bleem, used no stolen Sony code whatsoever for its emulator program. And now because of them, I can't even get that app legitimately. :evil: And with such a lousy experience for PS1 emulation, I'd not even bothered with PS2 emulation, because I just don't have the time or patience to deal with more aggravation in fighting with apps to get them to work only to have them stop working just two days later. So with that said, I need to - irritatingly - put up with more Sony hardware, to play the games that I own, and wish to play. And before you say "well just buy a PS2 then"... I did. And the problem is, the ps2 looks like complete ass on any TV now, even with component video cables. Actually, the same games played on the PS3, with the same component video cables no less, look better on the same TV, than if the games were played on the actual PS2. That in itself is a reason why I'd rather be able to play them on the PS3 instead.

How is one word of that relevant to what I said? lol. I said THIS gen. The only thing they've removed unwarrented is BC. So, yeah, you can whine about that all you want. I hate it, too, but its done. I'm over it. The thing is even if Sony removed the PS2 BC so they could sell more PS2s (which I'm certain was the case) its nothing worse than some of the crap other companies have pulled or are pulling. Until recently you had to pay more than what a PS2 cost for certain peripherals on another console that the PS3 is shipped with standard. I could go on all day about all the underhanded things other manufacturers have pulled for the sake of the almightly dollar, but I'm not. Why? Because it doesn't matter, man. Its not going to change how they run their business. So what can we do? We can just get over it. And if it really bothers us too much we can just not buy anymore stuff from the offending manufacturer. That's all I'm saying.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 codezer0
They also removed OtherOS, which, if you've been keeping track, is one of th reasons that geohot and groups like fail0verflow never really bothered to hack the ps3... because they could already run their own code, in an approved environment, on the ps3. Removing it first with the slim model, and then retroactively through an update, was what pissed off these groups, and got them motivated to hack the ps3. prior to that, the only real "hacking" done, was in an attempt to un-neuter the OtherOS's access to hardware through the hypervisor. But what fail0verflow found in their efforts, is that GameOS and OtherOS were treated equally by the Hypervisor. As far as the HV was concerned, the two were different VM's to run; the only difference was permissions. That is why fail0verflow is now working on what they call AsbestOS - it will start as a replacement for OtherOS, that also takes over booting from GameOS. So at first, it will be to allow booting into Linux, with full 3D Acceleration, on any PS3 - including the slim. After that is all set and working, they were then going to work on a bootloader that would allow users to dual-boot between GameOS and AsbestOS, just like how the ps3 previously supported dualbooting of GameOS and OtherOS.
VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 VanDammFan

CODEZERO... You are really torn up arent you??lol...You need to step back from the electronics for a minute. Realize that there are a TON more important things in life for you to get upset over. You need to understand that its not up to you what Sony or any developer does. Sure it puts us in a bind at times, but its not your business and there is zero you can do about it. Its like me getting upset when people say we live in a free country when I know we dont. Sure I get upset at times, but then I have to understand it dont matter how mad I get there is NOTHING I can do...NOTHING..

So dude, before you have a heart attack, you need to step back and evaluate things because in the grand scheme of things....your problems dont mean %^&*!!..