Sony thinking about charging for online

• 129 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts

IGN had a little chit chat with Sony's Peter Dille (the company's marketing and PSN chief) a few days ago on Feb 4th about the PS3 and the directions its heading. One topic that stood out to me was the topic of charging for PSN. Here was the quote from the article :

"Why don't we charge for [PSN]?" said Sony's VP of marketing, Peter Dille, to IGN. "It's been our philosophy not to charge for it from launch up until now, but Kaz [Hirai, head of Sony games] recently went on the record as saying that's something we're looking at. I can confirm that as well. That's something that we're actively thinking about.

Machael Pachter, a high-profile game research anaylst, says "...gamers just have to accept that online multiplayer is going to go subscription...its got to. The publishers can not afford to continue to give this stuff away for free...its cannibalizing used game sales and new game sales." (see him talk about it here )

With DC Universe Online's dramatic success of being Sony's fastest selling game ever in just one week, its been proven that a subcription to play a game won't phase gamers.

Everything is pointing in the direction of an online subscription. Its not longer an "if" but a "when". So my question is what will you do?

jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts

People are not phased away to pay a subscription fee for an MMO, that's something the gamer know he will have to pay to play online because that's the only way to play it. Try to tell people they will have to pay to go play online black ops, killzone or uncharted, and most of them will tell you to go f yourself. If it happens, then it's really simple, I will stop playing online, sell my ps3 and everything, and stick with PC. Free online is the reason why i bought the ps3, if it doesn't have it anymore, then I don't have a reason to have one anymore. They want us to feel sorry for them because theymade 200 millions of dollars instead of 220 millions dollars becasue of free online ? Boo hoo you poor multi millionnaire bastards.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

I really wouldn't mind, I hope they have something like XBL Silver though where you can still be online for free you just can't play games online.

parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

This...this can't be. It better stay free or else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ninja_Zombie83

People are not phased away to pay a subscription fee for an MMO, that's something the gamer know he will have to pay to play online because that's the only way to play it. Try to tell people they will have to pay to go play online black ops, killzone or uncharted, and most of them will tell you to go f yourself. If it happens, then it's really simple, I will stop playing online, sell my ps3 and everything, and stick with PC. Free online is the reason why i bought the ps3, if it doesn't have it anymore, then I don't have a reason to have one anymore. They want us to feel sorry because they are making 200 millions of dollars instead of 220 millions dollars becasue of free online ? Boo hoo you poor multi millionnaire bastards.jack00
Xbox users pay a subscription, and they seem to have a pretty good user base. An often heard argument isn't "go f yourself." its "you get what you pay for" and the vast majority don't seem to have a problem. Its not an extra fee if you arn't being charged to begin with, like PSN users. (Not to confuse this with a system wars arguement of which console is better, but its a noteworthy similarity.)

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts

what will i do? pay the subcription cost. he's right about gamers having to accept the fact multiplayer having to go subscription.

you ppl expect them to continue to give this stuff away for free? suck it up and stop being so cheap ppl and start paying the piper.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#9 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

I would sell my PS3 and not look back.

Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
Eh. I'd probably pay and move on. I already pay for XBL Gold and its really not that bad. As long as Sony either add more features, or charged a lower rate then I'm fine with it. I would not want to pay $50-60 a year for the current PSN though.
LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

I don't play much online anyway, so I guess I'd stick to PC for online from then on, for that rare game I would play online.

Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Texas2089
idiots that play CoD or BF:BC2 on a console.magnusm1
So because someone play CoD on a console they're an idiot? I would love to hear the logic in that one.
parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

It's all that stupid DCUO's fault for this.:P

J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 J-Man725
Member since 2006 • 6786 Posts

I hardly play online anymore anyway, so it'll just be the end of what little online gaming I still do.

Not to mention the quality of online is going downhill as every dev tries to jump on the bandwagon without any innovation from one game to the next. Why pay for less. Games are overpriced as it is, so I'm not paying any extra for lackluster online play.

BakedDank420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BakedDank420
Member since 2010 • 473 Posts

Haven't we all got this random message on our PSN from random senders? Then Playstation + came out. I don't believe it will happen.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mr_Ditters

what will i do? pay the subcription cost. he's right about gamers having to accept the fact multiplayer having to go subscription.

you ppl expect them to continue to give this stuff away for free? suck it up and stop being so cheap ppl and start paying the piper.

LP4EVA2005

Yeah maybe for consoles. Online PC gaming will always be free.

Since the invention of online gaming using your own internet has always been free. No we don't have to accept it. Just because the economy took a dump and they are hurting (as well as everyone else) doesn't mean they should follow m$ and change they way online gaming has worked from the begining. And Im sorry there is no way I'm giving them my money for their crappy online service (most of which is p2p gaming) when the free alternative is much better (PC).

Yeah if Sony wants to take away one of the biggest incentives for people to play the PS3 over their competiter, do it. See what happens.

jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jack00

[QUOTE="jack00"]People are not phased away to pay a subscription fee for an MMO, that's something the gamer know he will have to pay to play online because that's the only way to play it. Try to tell people they will have to pay to go play online black ops, killzone or uncharted, and most of them will tell you to go f yourself. If it happens, then it's really simple, I will stop playing online, sell my ps3 and everything, and stick with PC. Free online is the reason why i bought the ps3, if it doesn't have it anymore, then I don't have a reason to have one anymore. They want us to feel sorry because they are making 200 millions of dollars instead of 220 millions dollars becasue of free online ? Boo hoo you poor multi millionnaire bastards.Ninja_Zombie83

Xbox users pay a subscription, and they seem to have a pretty good user base. An often heard argument isn't "go f yourself." its "you get what you pay for" and the vast majority don't seem to have a problem. Its not an extra fee if you arn't being charged to begin with, like PSN users. (Not to confuse this with a system wars arguement of which console is better, but its a noteworthy similarity.)

Xbox users have been paying a subscription since the beginning, for them it's "normal", even tho it shouldn't be. Try to tell the people who bought a ps3 for free online that now they will have to pay for it, i'm sorry but that's not going to pass. Online have been free on PC since FOREVER and will continue to be, why should microsoft or sony charge for it ? Give me one good reason, I dare you. (Don't bother telling me "it's cost them money for server bla bla bla, it doesn't cost crap for them).
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

LP4EVA2005
What's free? Last I checked games were $60. Most of them are peer to peer, so they don't have huge server costs. Multiplayer has been included in the price of games for the past 30 years. Pachter has been proven to be a quack many times in the past. All that said, I really expect Sony will start charging for online at least in their next console because gamers by and large have repeatedly proven that they have no sense of value in the service they are getting.
jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jack00
[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"][QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]

What's free? Last I checked games were $60. Most of them are peer to peer, so they don't have huge server costs. Multiplayer has been included in the price of games for the past 30 years. Pachter has been proven to be a quack many times in the past. All that said, I really expect Sony will start charging for online at least in their next console because gamers by and large have repeatedly proven that they have no sense of value in the service they are getting.

QFT
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
PC gaming here I come.
magnusm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 magnusm1
Member since 2009 • 918 Posts
[QUOTE="magnusm1"]idiots that play CoD or BF:BC2 on a console.Texas2089
So because someone play CoD on a console they're an idiot? I would love to hear the logic in that one.

I was refering to people that are trying to play FPS-games with an analog-stick. However, I suspect you will disagree.
00Killaz00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 00Killaz00
Member since 2010 • 1014 Posts

I really wouldn't mind, I hope they have something like XBL Silver though where you can still be online for free you just can't play games online.

StealthMonkey4

I hope that happens, most of the time I'm just talking anyway, I still have sinlge player... as long as they don't charge me more to get in the PS Store I'm fine :)

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mr_Ditters

PC gaming here I come.Fightingfan

You wont regret it.

I am hanging onto my PS3 for the release of Dark Souls then its goin on ebay. First I convinced my friend to leave the 360 for the PS3 and then pushed him in the direction of building a PC. He just finished it this week and just yesterday he thanked me for opening his eyes. Its more expensive initially but its much more than a gaming machine. Game prices are a lot lower too if you wait for the deals.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

you ppl expect them to continue to give this stuff away for free?

LP4EVA2005
What stuff? In most cases those games use P2P connections. So please elaborate what stuff you are talking about.
cloudman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cloudman5
Member since 2006 • 81 Posts

They will probably do something like the Xbox does for used games. Prolly charge PSN points to enable the online play if the product was not bought new. Makes sence and i would be totally okay with it.

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts

[QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]

Mr_Ditters

Since the invention of online gaming using your own internet has always been free. No we don't have to accept it. Just because the economy took a dump and they are hurting (as well as everyone else) doesn't mean they should follow m$ and change they way online gaming has worked from the begining. And Im sorry there is no way I'm giving them my money for their crappy online service (most of which is p2p gaming) when the free alternative is much better (PC).

Yeah if Sony wants to take away one of the biggest incentives for people to play the PS3 over their competiter, do it. See what happens.

i know whats gonna happen..they're going to pay it. why? because they have no choice in the matter. so either they become PC gamers or give up give up gaming altogher just because of some annual fee.

Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ninja_Zombie83

[QUOTE="Ninja_Zombie83"]

[QUOTE="jack00"]People are not phased away to pay a subscription fee for an MMO, that's something the gamer know he will have to pay to play online because that's the only way to play it. Try to tell people they will have to pay to go play online black ops, killzone or uncharted, and most of them will tell you to go f yourself. If it happens, then it's really simple, I will stop playing online, sell my ps3 and everything, and stick with PC. Free online is the reason why i bought the ps3, if it doesn't have it anymore, then I don't have a reason to have one anymore. They want us to feel sorry because they are making 200 millions of dollars instead of 220 millions dollars becasue of free online ? Boo hoo you poor multi millionnaire bastards.jack00

Xbox users have been paying a subscription since the beginning, for them it's "normal", even tho it shouldn't be. Try to tell the people who bought a ps3 for free online that now they will have to pay for it, i'm sorry but that's not going to pass. Online have been free on PC since FOREVER and will continue to be, why should microsoft or sony charge for it ? Give me one good reason, I dare you. (Don't bother telling me "it's cost them money for server bla bla bla, it doesn't cost crap for them).

One good reason? Because they can.

PC gaming not doing well and those games that are keeping PC alive happen to charge a MSF. Granted there are some terrific games for the PC, it amounts to an incredibly small amount of revenue in the gaming industry every year...and is declining.

Although a computer is cheap, upgrading one to play current games is not and will require upgrades every few years, much sooner than the release of a new console. Buying a computer for $1200 dollars negates a $15 MSF for a $299.99 console does it not? Even ifyou are able to find a PC cheaply, you run into the argument of getting what you pay for, namley the inability to play console exclusives.

I'm not saying "this is better than that" but rather what is cost effective in terms of gaming and only in gaming. Not enjoyment, not functionality, but cost.

Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Texas2089
[QUOTE="Texas2089"][QUOTE="magnusm1"]idiots that play CoD or BF:BC2 on a console.magnusm1

I was refering to people that are trying to play FPS-games with an analog-stick. However, I suspect you will disagree.

KB/M is definitely faster and more accurate, but some people don't like using it. Doesn't mean they're idiots.
d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#29 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Everything is pointing in the direction of an online subscription. Its not longer an "if" but a "when". So my question is what will you do?

Ninja_Zombie83

I won't pay. The free online is one of the things I liked about PS3.

If it costs, I'll just spend the next five years or so finishing the single story games I've never got around to because of online play.

00Killaz00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#30 00Killaz00
Member since 2010 • 1014 Posts

[QUOTE="Mr_Ditters"]

[QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]

LP4EVA2005

i know whats gonna happen..they're going to pay it. why? because they have no choice in the matter. so either they become PC gamers or give up give up gaming altogher just because of some annual fee.

Where's the third option? I hate PC gaming, besides StarCraft and Diablo, and I could give even less a crap about online functionality lol.

Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ninja_Zombie83

LP4EVA2005

I would have to agree. I would grind my teeth and curse as I pay the bill, but I'm too much of a gamer to give up playing a PS3 or buying an Xbox for a MSF. I do mind spending more for my hobby, but not so much as to sacrifice the experience of playing with other people for a few bucks. It would slow down the rate of how often I buy new games though.

-Fromage-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 -Fromage-
Member since 2009 • 10572 Posts
I'd probably be playing a lot less online games. To me playing online is just a bonus, not something I need to do.
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

Good.

If that's what it takes to get cross game chat, something that should have been on the PS3 years ago.

AJC3317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#36 AJC3317
Member since 2003 • 2546 Posts
i don't think they'll charge for ps3 online, but i wouldn't be surprised at all if the ps4 came out and they charged for online on that. it will have to be a much better service tho. the psn is good for what it is, but not something i would pay for
jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jack00
[QUOTE="Ninja_Zombie83"]

[QUOTE="jack00"][QUOTE="Ninja_Zombie83"]Xbox users pay a subscription, and they seem to have a pretty good user base. An often heard argument isn't "go f yourself." its "you get what you pay for" and the vast majority don't seem to have a problem. Its not an extra fee if you arn't being charged to begin with, like PSN users. (Not to confuse this with a system wars arguement of which console is better, but its a noteworthy similarity.)

One good reason? Because they can.

PC gaming not doing well and those games that are keeping PC alive happen to charge a MSF. Granted there are some terrific games for the PC, it amounts to an incredibly small amount of revenue in the gaming industry every year...and is declining.

Although a computer is cheap, upgrading one to play current games is not and will require upgrades every few years, much sooner than the release of a new console. Buying a computer for $1200 dollars negates a $15 MSF for a $299.99 console does it not? Even ifyou are able to find a PC cheaply, you run into the argument of getting what you pay for, namley the inability to play console exclusives.

I'm not saying "this is better than that" but rather what is cost effective in terms of gaming and only in gaming. Not enjoyment, not functionality, but cost.

PC gaming not doing well ? Steam made a billion profit last year. If you want to be a sucker and give even more money to those greedy bastard, send them a personnal check and leave free gaming to people like it should be.
istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
lol In all likelihood you STILL won't get cross game chat and all that good stuff. I just can't see Sony's crew matching or topping Live, which I think has to be done if they're going to charge, and there's no doubt they'll start charging by PS4.
Avatar image for silentnightmere
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 silentnightmere
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts
If it happens. Il go back to xbox cause this was reason for getting a PS3...
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts
i think psn will still be free, maybe until ps4 at least. or they might have 2 options for us, something like PS+ which wat we have now. besides i wonder how the heck this thing will work out? if there will be a charge for online lets say somewhere between 30 and 50 bucks a year, and ps+ thats another 50. damn about 80 to 100 bucks, unless they add ps+ for free with ur subscription and it only cost 50 a year then im down
Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
[QUOTE="jack00"][QUOTE="Ninja_Zombie83"]

People are not phased away to pay a subscription fee for an MMO, that's something the gamer know he will have to pay to play online because that's the only way to play it. Try to tell people they will have to pay to go play online black ops, killzone or uncharted, and most of them will tell you to go f yourself. If it happens, then it's really simple, I will stop playing online, sell my ps3 and everything, and stick with PC. Free online is the reason why i bought the ps3, if it doesn't have it anymore, then I don't have a reason to have one anymore. They want us to feel sorry because they are making 200 millions of dollars instead of 220 millions dollars becasue of free online ? Boo hoo you poor multi millionnaire bastards.jack00

PC games don't charge, but they also don't support anything beyond the actual online gameplay. PSN and XBL have loads more features including their respective storefronts that they have to pay people to maintain and update on a regular basis. I thought paying for XBL was the stupidest idea ever, but after finally signing up I am glad to have it. Its a great service. If Sony implemented some of the features that XBL has as well as XBL does then I'd gladly pay for it. However, I do feel Sony should keep a certain level of access free as to not completely alienate too many players.
volume_three

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 volume_three
Member since 2005 • 2142 Posts

PC gaming here I come.Fightingfan

This ^

Never thought I'd see the day but if Sony initiate a pay-to-play service then I'm out. (Rich coming from the guy playing DC Universe, huh? :P )

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]PC gaming here I come.volume_three

This ^

Never thought I'd see the day but if Sony initiate a pay-to-play service then I'm out. (Rich coming from the guy playing DC Universe, huh? :P )

Would be cool if they charged for PSN and then made DCUO and other MMOs on the console free to play. :D
BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

I could see Sony charging PS3 users to play online. I can see them Sony charging $50 for a year for Playstation Plus which should include internet play. If they want to charge extra to use netflix, internet browser, use PSN store, etc., then I would be real upset.

jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jack00

[QUOTE="jack00"][QUOTE="Ninja_Zombie83"]Xbox users pay a subscription, and they seem to have a pretty good user base. An often heard argument isn't "go f yourself." its "you get what you pay for" and the vast majority don't seem to have a problem. Its not an extra fee if you arn't being charged to begin with, like PSN users. (Not to confuse this with a system wars arguement of which console is better, but its a noteworthy similarity.)

MrSelf-Destruct

PC games don't charge, but they also don't support anything beyond the actual online gameplay. PSN and XBL have loads more features including their respective storefronts that they have to pay people to maintain and update on a regular basis. I thought paying for XBL was the stupidest idea ever, but after finally signing up I am glad to have it. Its a great service. If Sony implemented some of the features that XBL has as well as XBL does then I'd gladly pay for it. However, I do feel Sony should keep a certain level of access free as to not completely alienate too many players.

Care to elaborate on what they offer more that we should pay for ? Steam, has pretty much all the features of xbox live and psn, and ya, it's free.

DonutNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DonutNerd
Member since 2011 • 173 Posts

If they do start charging then they will have to improve the XMB and online experience as a whole. I wouldn't be too bothered about paying a fee to play online as long as the service is good.

austi722

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 austi722
Member since 2009 • 452 Posts

Wanna charge online sony? I want Faster downloads Cross game chat, and more :).

Or I'll sell my PS3 and build a gaming Desktop Computer that won't be outdated for a few years and when it is outdated buy more parts to upgrade it until it dies :P

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

If they put in WAY more features like Xbox LIVE has, I would probably pay for it. In its current state? Not as likely.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

If they put in WAY more features like Xbox LIVE has, I would probably pay for it. In its current state? Not as likely.

dk00111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dk00111
Member since 2007 • 3123 Posts
I've been considering switching to PC gaming next gen (going to start with a laptop this summer), and if this happens it would help push me towards that. I might buy a PS4 just for the single player exclusives. All the companies complain about money, but I don't see how $60 can't cover the cost of playing online.