Sony struggling could it be the next Sega?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

belrock86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 belrock86
Member since 2008 • 234 Posts

It is hard for me to believe Sony could be the next Sega but Sony seems to be struggling and I feel if they don't do something to boost console sales the PS3 could become the next Dreamcast. I really like my PS3 but I feel Sony needs to change up their marketing strategy focus on the hardcore audience as well as focus on the casual audience. If I was head of Sony I would drop the PS3 price, than create casual games that use the Six-Axis but are marketed toward scasual gamers. The final I would do if I was in charge of Sony is start spending money wisley and do what Microsoft did buy exclusive rights maybe exclusive Bioshock 2 content and or exclusive Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 maps for multiplayer. I hope someone at Sony starts to make some good decisions or I fear the PS3 will become the next Dreamcast.

GodofEmpires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GodofEmpires
Member since 2009 • 611 Posts

lol @ this post. the playstation brand will continue on, sony is a multi-billion dollar company and will get through this.

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

Sony has more money and is bigger than Sega could ever hope to have/be.

theru8543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 theru8543
Member since 2009 • 94 Posts

Wow that is a bold statement but it SOME ways your kinda right. Sony will never be another Sega, i cant see Sony in 10 years just making games. Sony took a risk when they released the PS3 the way they did. No risk to reward. I think the last couple years have been difficult but i think once the PS3 drops the price a little bit and the exclusives start rolling out, the PS3 will reclaim its glory. I think this year is one of the most important years in PS3's existence. Alot of great games are coming out, good exclusives, a price drop, XBOX doesnt have alot of good games coming out, and i think the online experience is alot better on PS3 and its free. People will realize that when they get sick of paying the money for XBOX live and when PS3 drops their price i can see some 360 owners actually saying " hey i can trade in my 360 and get a PS3 for only a little bit of money and play online for free". So u made some good points and i def see where your comin from, but SEGA????? haha PS3 compared to Dreamcast???? but seriously i loved dreamcast!!! haha

FvaFshX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 FvaFshX
Member since 2005 • 177 Posts

A price drop is really all thats needed along with a better marketing strategy. Focusing on the casual market is not the answer at all. The wii has that audience locked down pretty tight already and you can see the attempt from Microsoft with Avatars fell on deaf ears for the most part. Besides, theres enough unique games like that on PSN that have their own identity (Flower, NobyNoby Boy). Problem is the only people who know about PSN are the hardcore gamers and those who already own the system. So, since that 200 dollar price point is pretty much impossible right now, a better marketing campaign would problably work wonders since the software lineup is more than sufficient now.

Jakesta7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#6 Jakesta7
Member since 2007 • 2472 Posts

Wow that is a bold statement but it SOME ways your kinda right. Sony will never be another Sega, i cant see Sony in 10 years just making games. Sony took a risk when they released the PS3 the way they did. No risk to reward. I think the last couple years have been difficult but i think once the PS3 drops the price a little bit and the exclusives start rolling out, the PS3 will reclaim its glory. I think this year is one of the most important years in PS3's existence. Alot of great games are coming out, good exclusives, a price drop, XBOX doesnt have alot of good games coming out, and i think the online experience is alot better on PS3 and its free. People will realize that when they get sick of paying the money for XBOX live and when PS3 drops their price i can see some 360 owners actually saying " hey i can trade in my 360 and get a PS3 for only a little bit of money and play online for free". So u made some good points and i def see where your comin from, but SEGA????? haha PS3 compared to Dreamcast???? but seriously i loved dreamcast!!! haha

theru8543

I agree with this post, but PS3 would never fail as much as dreamcast.

Geetarman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Geetarman42
Member since 2007 • 181 Posts
Well they won't fail, and if they started to, the American divison would get bailed out lol
Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

Boy! this is sony not sega one of the biggest companies on this planet Sony just suffered alot in this economical disaster cuz they are a multi products company ( Music, Movies, Electronics, Computers, Games. etc ) so its natural for a company which cover that many things to lose a little in every division so that makes them lose alot but they will recover easily after the end of this and PS3 is already doing good its already @21 mils consoles sold just 7 mils conoses diffrence between them and and the 360 while 360 got head start and alot cheaper its like if you say which one sells more Toyota camry or Lexus of course camry will sell more cuz of its price.

zmbi_gmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 zmbi_gmr
Member since 2008 • 3590 Posts

It is hard for me to believe Sony could be the next Sega but Sony seems to be struggling and I feel if they don't do something to boost console sales the PS3 could become the next Dreamcast. I really like my PS3 but I feel Sony needs to change up their marketing strategy focus on the hardcore audience as well as focus on the casual audience. If I was head of Sony I would drop the PS3 price, than create casual games that use the Six-Axis but are marketed toward scasual gamers. The final I would do if I was in charge of Sony is start spending money wisley and do what Microsoft did buy exclusive rights maybe exclusive Bioshock 2 content and or exclusive Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 maps for multiplayer. I hope someone at Sony starts to make some good decisions or I fear the PS3 will become the next Dreamcast.

belrock86

please no casual game crap. i'd sooner the PS3 fail then for it to stoop to Nintendo's level.

Geetarman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Geetarman42
Member since 2007 • 181 Posts
[QUOTE="zmbi_gmr"]

[QUOTE="belrock86"]

please no casual game crap. i'd sooner the PS3 fail then for it to stoop to Nintendo's level.

Agreed
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
The company wont go under but they could always close the gaming division if they wanted.
Menalque2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Menalque2
Member since 2007 • 2630 Posts

The Dreamcast and PS3 are polar opposites as far as I see it. The Dreamcast failed, because of the lack of Sega's brand power, despite the fact that they did everything right in making the system palatable to gamers and developers.

The PS3 failed, because Sony did everything wrong, despite having a huge amount of brand power and third party support from the PS2 era.

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Duckman5

The Dreamcast and PS3 are polar opposites as far as I see it. The Dreamcast failed, because of the lack of Sega's brand power, despite the fact that they did everything right in making the system palatable to gamers and developers.

The PS3 failed, because Sony did everything wrong, despite having a huge amount of brand power and third party support from the PS2 era.

Menalque2
Yeah price, marketing, timing, it was all a disaster for the PS3.
donmega1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 donmega1
Member since 2003 • 1456 Posts

there is nothing wrong with Sony or the ps3. you should play some video games and stop listening to what people are saying about the price tag.

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Duckman5

there is nothing wrong with Sony or the ps3. you should play some video games and stop listening to what people are saying about the price tag.

donmega1
No, sales are down and everyone knows that is bad. The cause is Sony's fault and no one else's.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Apples and oranges; you're comparing them.
jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
i dont think Sony will fail they are a much bigger company than Sega was. And to buy exclusive rights is really expensive look at the money microsoft throws away for some DLC's
donmega1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 donmega1
Member since 2003 • 1456 Posts
[QUOTE="donmega1"]

Duckman5
No, sales are down and everyone knows that is bad. The cause is Sony's fault and no one else's.

just because a bunch of people don't want to buy it because of of the price tag does not mean they are failing. if you cant afford a Lamborghini don't buy one.
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

Apples and oranges; you're comparing them.Rocky32189

They're both fruit.

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#20 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
Unlike Sony, Sega was never market leader, trailing both the NES and the SNES. Then they tried the Sega CD and the 32x, after that they failed with the Saturn and even though I own one, the Dreamcast was not built to last much longer than it did (I mean, only 1 analog stick would've made any multiplatform game inferior, they still relied on slot-in rumble paks, GD-Roms were pretty small)
Menalque2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Menalque2
Member since 2007 • 2630 Posts

Unlike Sony, Sega was never market leader, trailing both the NES and the SNES. Then they tried the Sega CD and the 32x, after that they failed with the Saturn and even though I own one, the Dreamcast was not built to last much longer than it did (I mean, only 1 analog stick would've made any multiplatform game inferior, they still relied on slot-in rumble paks, GD-Roms were pretty small)BenderUnit22

On the other hand, Sega were the market leader in the West during the Mega Drive/SNES era. Just not in Japan.

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
On the other hand, Sega were the market leader in the West during the Mega Drive/SNES era. Just not in Japan.Menalque2
Let's assume this was true, even though the only official chart from Nintendo's sales figures would suggest otherwise, I still don't see a parallel to Sony.
taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23 taplok
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

Sega wasn't as big as Sony...deeper pockets cango onhard times longer and have better chances of pushing on through a crisis...

Unassigned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Unassigned
Member since 2004 • 1970 Posts

Sony makes it's money with it's games, not the console. The one thing they failed to realize is that many PS3 owners bought the console for the Blu-Ray player only since it was half the price of the stand alone Blu-Ray players. Hence, consoles are selling but the games aren't (at least not what they projected).

Sony will probably stay afloat in the console market but they need to analyze their marketing strategy next time around. Between the mismanaged launch and too many changes to the console after the initial launch has made for bad press.

DrDoom007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#26 DrDoom007
Member since 2004 • 305 Posts

I don't want to sound as a fanboy, but I see more likely that MS would go as a third party game developer instead of Sony, the reason of this is simple: history. I mean, the Dreamcast was released about a year before the PS2, it had a lot of great games released in that year, when the PS2 was released many people got it because it was a cheaper DVD player, the Dreamcast owners were mocking the PS2 because the lack of good games... any of this sounds familiar to you?

Sure, the times have changed, MS is a corporative monster and Sega is a gaming company, so I can be wrong

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Sony are far richer, stronger and better than Sega could ever hope to be. Don't worry about it.
santi12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 santi12345
Member since 2006 • 221 Posts

belrock86
Since the moment you dare to compare SONY to Sega u r loosing all ur arguments...please I kindly ask u to think before posting coz I know u r intelligent!
KapG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KapG
Member since 2007 • 1037 Posts

It's sony's fault for coming out with a "next gen" gaming system that has a BLUERAY player built into it? That blueray player right there is worth the extra 100$ you have to pay to get a ps3 over a 360.

No, the only people at fault are all of you cheap people complaining that it is too expensive

canoecamue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 canoecamue
Member since 2004 • 709 Posts
[QUOTE="Geetarman42"][QUOTE="zmbi_gmr"]

[QUOTE="belrock86"]

Agreed

Unassigned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Unassigned
Member since 2004 • 1970 Posts
[QUOTE="KapG"]

It's sony's fault for coming out with a "next gen" gaming system that has a BLUERAY player built into it? That blueray player right there is worth the extra 100$ you have to pay to get a ps3 over a 360.

No, the only people at fault are all of you cheap people complaining that it is too expensive

It's not the cost of the Blu-Ray that was the issue, it was that Sony didn't expect that alot of people bought the console for the Blu-Ray only. As Sony has stated they make their money from the game sales not the console sales. The Blu-Ray was kind of a double edged sword for Sony.
KapG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KapG
Member since 2007 • 1037 Posts

[QUOTE="KapG"]

Unassigned

It's not the cost of the Blu-Ray that was the issue, it was that Sony didn't expect that alot of people bought the console for the Blu-Ray only. As Sony has stated they make their money from the game sales not the console sales. The Blu-Ray was kind of a double edged sword for Sony.

All I hear is people complaining about the cost of the PS3. Well, you get a blueray player with it too, stop whining.

Besides, this is what happened with the ps2 as well, lots of people purchased it for the DVD player...ps2 turned out OK.

gnarink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gnarink
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

No way will Sony be another Sega and PS3 is certanly not another Dreamcast lol. The reason why PS3 is so expensive is because sony spent so much money on R&D for designing all new hardware. Also in comparison to The Xbox that is way cheaper because it lacks so many standard PS3 features like built in wifi adapter, Blue Ray player, and not having to pay monthly for online play. And most people don't even know the PS3 ability to use a PSP as a remote logon device to stream all your PS3 movies, music, and even select Downloadable games off the PSN store. Actually Sony looses money from every PS3 console sold due to the high R&D price, but they should make enough money off of video game titles and the PSN store to balance out most of the cost in the long run.

PS3 actually is a "Next-Gen" system. And Sony will stil be around in the next gen too.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

i don't see sony as the next sega, nowhere near it. i think the average publics viewing is justifying spending $400 on a game system even if it does read blu rays (especially in the economic state we're in) i think if the games were more plentiful and there were more exclusives consistently coming out then i don't think people would have a problem with the price OR if the game schedules were the same and the price was lowered then i could see people buying it. don't get me wrong i'm not throwing a "ps3 has no games/no good games" arguement out, thats way old. it definitely has some, i'm just thinking not enough to justify the cost of $400 to most gamers. also the fact that they lost alot of their exclusives to multiplat to a system that came out first and cheaper didn't help either (imo losing ff13 was a massive blow) i love my ps3, i just wish they'd push the hardware and software a little harder. 2 years into the ps2's life lots of good games had already come out and although the ps3 has its selection of good games, the quantity and variety isn't comparable to the ps2.

Avatar image for mistergamer2006
mistergamer2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mistergamer2006
Member since 2006 • 988 Posts

all the above is right but also one point id like to make... sony does not only depend on games as their income and market... rmbr they also have products in tons of other areas in the elctronics industry which is sumthing i believe sega did not have. sony makes phones (Sony Ericson) they make computers (Vaio) they make cameras (a) they make TVs, they make tons of money off tons of things so they are going no where :)

krimla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 krimla
Member since 2002 • 264 Posts

To those who think that Sony will "still be around" think about this. What can Sony offer that others in the electronics industry like Samsung, LG, Sanyo, etc. can't. At one point, Sony was THE poster child of quality electronics. Now there are others in the game that can make a product that meets or exceeds the quality of Sony products at a fraction of the price. We have to remember that Sony has a handicap in the fact that they have other business's that they have to fund along with their Playstation business. Microsoft has pretty much only software to worry about and can dump all sorts of $$$ into Microsoft's gaming division (especially with their productivity software profit margins). Nintendo has ONLY game systems and games to worry about and can fund game system\game R & D at 100%. Sony on the other hand has to worry about keeping their TV division, audio division, movie studio division, computer division, etc. adiquitly funded. On ALL of those fronts, Sony has stiff competition with other powerful electronics companies (ie. Samsung, LG, Sanyo, etc.) while competing against the more focused Microsoft and Nintendo. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Playstation but they are fighting a war on too many fronts and something has to give. Sony will need to focus on Playstation to make it work and they might not want to make the sacrifice (aka. axing the TV or audio division) to make it work. Ultimately, Sony (like any public company) needs to make money and can't exist by keeping their fans happy while losing $$$.

king23_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#37 king23_
Member since 2007 • 18169 Posts
PS3 isn't doing that bad anymore. It's starting to catch up with the 360 in sales......