Sony - Largest Losses in 4 Years!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cellien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Cellien
Member since 2004 • 2280 Posts
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159517

Sounds like a little bit of bad news.. But I'm sure they will pull through. The really interesting part in the article is whether or not Sony can afford a price drop...

What are your thoughts?
MSE369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 MSE369
Member since 2004 • 310 Posts

obviously theyre havin losses...every console manufacturer losses thee first few years while sellin their console but in the long-run they win soo much more profit

RandomTask221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#3 RandomTask221
Member since 2005 • 7795 Posts

obviously theyre havin losses...every console manufacturer losses thee first few years while sellin their console but in the long-run they win soo much more profit

MSE369

Actually, thats not totally true. The Nintendo Wii is actually selling so well (and its that cheap) that its giving Nintendo profit from its sales. Sony is losing money for different reasons besides besides new console growing pains, They had flaws in their marketing and selling strategies that lead them to what is hurting them now...In the long run though, you are right, they are most likely going to bounce back even if they do need to cut the price once or even twice in a few years time.

Trek5200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Trek5200
Member since 2007 • 599 Posts

I believe that EVERY company in the world posts a loss in their first year of a new design.  No one can make back a billion in one year.  Perhaps we should examine how long the other console has been trying to work themselves into a profit situation?

Celli I think it is pretty pathetic that THIS is your very first time creating a topic on the PS3 forum and this is what you bring to the table. 

Roiding_Barry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Roiding_Barry
Member since 2007 • 44 Posts

Sounds like a little bit of bad news.. But I'm sure they will pull through. The really interesting part in the article is whether or not Sony can afford a price drop...

What are your thoughts?Cellien

I think you're jealous you can't afford one. 

Roiding_Barry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Roiding_Barry
[QUOTE="Trek5200"]

I believe that EVERY company in the world posts a loss in their first year of a new design. No one can make back a billion in one year. Perhaps we should examine how long the other console has been trying to work themselves into a profit situation?

Celli I think it is pretty pathetic that THIS is your very first time creating a topic on the PS3 forum and this is what you bring to the table.

Cellien

Don't mind this guy ^ He's always trying to start something.. bringing up other consoles and changing the subject. But ya.. I agree with you trek, a billion dollar loss is a lot to make up... specially in a year.

http://ce.seekingalpha.com/article/32642

He has a point. Everyone suffers losses. 

Cellien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cellien
[QUOTE="Cellien"]

What are your thoughts?Roiding_Barry

Good to know! Thanks for the comment!
Roiding_Barry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Roiding_Barry
[QUOTE="Roiding_Barry"][QUOTE="Cellien"]

What are your thoughts?Cellien

Good to know! Thanks for the comment!

You are most welcome. Probably better to just admit that then post troll-style material. 

Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

I believe that EVERY company in the world posts a loss in their first year of a new design.  No one can make back a billion in one year.  Perhaps we should examine how long the other console has been trying to work themselves into a profit situation?

Trek5200

[QUOTE="MSE369"]

RandomTask221

Actually, thats not totally true. The Nintendo Wii is actually selling so well (and its that cheap) that its giving Nintendo profit from its sales. Sony is losing money for different reasons besides besides new console growing pains, They had flaws in their marketing and selling strategies that lead them to what is hurting them now...In the long run though, you are right, they are most likely going to bounce back even if they do need to cut the price once or even twice in a few years time.

Cellien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cellien
[QUOTE="Cellien"][QUOTE="Trek5200"]

I believe that EVERY company in the world posts a loss in their first year of a new design. No one can make back a billion in one year. Perhaps we should examine how long the other console has been trying to work themselves into a profit situation?

Roiding_Barry

Don't mind this guy ^ He's always trying to start something.. bringing up other consoles and changing the subject. But ya.. I agree with you trek, a billion dollar loss is a lot to make up... specially in a year.

Ya I agree.. everyone does suffer losses. The article also talks about the more interesting topic of the need for a price cut.. if they can afford to do it or not.
RandomTask221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RandomTask221
[QUOTE="Cellien"][QUOTE="Trek5200"]

Roiding_Barry

That article is slightly bias, I mean just look at the title. Losses arn't necessarily determined by how much the company doesn't get back from their console, but rather how much they lose total from marketing, producution, repairs, and most of all the lack of people buying their product (market flood). (which is Sony's case with the PS3)

Cellien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cellien
[QUOTE="Roiding_Barry"][QUOTE="Cellien"][QUOTE="Trek5200"]

RandomTask221

That article is slightly bias, I mean just look at the title. Losses arn't necessarily determined by how much the company doesn't get back from their console, but rather how much they lose total from marketing, producution, repairs, and most of all the lack of people buying their product (market flood). (which is Sony's case with the PS3)

I also love how when you state an issue with a console on any given forum... the overwhelming response is always "oh ya! look at the other console's problems...!!!" Besides, the "other console" just recently said they are in a position for profit by next year.. So don't dwell on them please. Quit trying to turn this into a flame war. (trek5200)
Cellien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cellien
[QUOTE="RandomTask221"][QUOTE="Roiding_Barry"][QUOTE="Cellien"][QUOTE="Trek5200"]

Trek5200

If you would like an example of BIAS you should perhaps take a look at the TC's post history, it speaks volumes.

Here you go again with the topic derail..
RandomTask221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RandomTask221
[QUOTE="RandomTask221"][QUOTE="Roiding_Barry"][QUOTE="Cellien"][QUOTE="Trek5200"]

Cellien

I also love how when you state an issue with a console on any given forum... the overwhelming response is always "oh ya! look at the other console's problems...!!!" Besides, MS just recently said they are in a position for profit by next year.. So people shifting the focus to other consoles, quit trying to turn this into a flame war. (trek5200)

I think you quoted the wrong guy lol, but anyway, I'm not trying to start a fight here (Trek5200) but I am simply pointing out the issues behind Sony losing money on the PS3.. I'm even thinking about buying a PS3 myself, so you can't call me a fanboy troll :)..

Cellien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cellien
[QUOTE="Cellien"][QUOTE="RandomTask221"][QUOTE="Roiding_Barry"][QUOTE="Cellien"][QUOTE="Trek5200"]

RandomTask221

I also love how when you state an issue with a console on any given forum... the overwhelming response is always "oh ya! look at the other console's problems...!!!" Besides, MS just recently said they are in a position for profit by next year.. So people shifting the focus to other consoles, quit trying to turn this into a flame war. (trek5200)

I think you quoted the wrong guy lol, but anyway, I'm not trying to start a fight here (Trek5200) but I am simply pointing out the issues behind Sony losing money on the PS3.. I'm even thinking about buying a PS3 myself, so you can't call me a fanboy troll :)..

Ya, I wasn't directing anything at you.. Just that link posted and comments by trek5200..
nietzscheyay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 nietzscheyay
Member since 2005 • 96 Posts

Sure, Sony's games division may be posting losses, but you have to look at the broader picture. 

Ninty has to make money on its consoles.  Their only sources of revenue are videogames and consoles sales and a few other media, such as their trading cards and TV shows.

Sony, on the other hand, is using the PS3 to push a brand strategy, not just a category strategy.  At the moment, Sony is really driving home the "Full HD 1080p" experience.  They were the most successful CE company in TVs this past year (one of the highest profit margin categories in the industry), and 1080p was a huge part of it.  At the moment, they're focusing a lot of attention on Blu-Ray.

Having a loss leader (like the PS3) is all well and good for a company, so long as that money is being made up elsewhere.  Which it is, being both 1080p and a Blu-Ray player. :)

sdkingsht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#19 sdkingsht
Member since 2006 • 1091 Posts

MSE369

exactly. this happens EVERY gen with EVERY system. why do people constantly act like this is news. we all know they lose money on production costs and launching new systems yadda yadda yadda. jesus...that's like calling a rainbow after it rains news. we all know it's coming...cause it ALWAYS COMES! lol.

Cellien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Cellien

Sure, Sony's games division may be posting losses, but you have to look at the broader picture.

Ninty has to make money on its consoles. Their only sources of revenue are videogames and consoles sales and a few other media, such as their trading cards and TV shows.

Sony, on the other hand, is using the PS3 to push a brand strategy, not just a category strategy. At the moment, Sony is really driving home the "Full HD 1080p" experience. They were the most successful CE company in TVs this past year (one of the highest profit margin categories in the industry), and 1080p was a huge part of it. At the moment, they're focusing a lot of attention on Blu-Ray.

Having a loss leader (like the PS3) is all well and good for a company, so long as that money is being made up elsewhere. Which it is, being both 1080p and a Blu-Ray player. :)

nietzscheyay
Ya, great comment! Lets not forget Spidey 3 broke so many records which is from Sony Pictures aswell! Some could argue they are in the red in the games division cause of BluRay tho.. because of the increased cost making the console too expensive for casual gamers.. the same consumers that made the PS2 so popular.
Cellien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Cellien
[QUOTE="MSE369"]

sdkingsht

exactly. this happens EVERY gen with EVERY system. why do people constantly act like this is news. we all know they lose money on production costs and launching new systems yadda yadda yadda. jesus...that's like calling a rainbow after it rains news. we all know it's coming...cause it ALWAYS COMES! lol.

Very true.. but from the article it seems Sony is in between a rock and a hard place about a price drop. A situation that is probably new to them.
jackelcog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jackelcog
Member since 2007 • 31 Posts

To have a long term plan in this business you have to have short term victory... 

The reason the PS1 and PS2 were supported long past the standard 5 year cycle was because they were the UNDISPUTED MARKET LEADERS. By the time the cycle ended they were in a good position so Sony could continue to support them.

The PS3 on the other hand is getting its tail kicked in Japan by Nintendo, by Microsoft in the U.S., and by BOTH in Europe (weekly sales over there have now dropped to around 12000 a week).

The fact is, if your console fails in the first year or 2, devs and consumers will in fact move on. It's what happened to the Gamecube even though Nintendo made profit off it from the jump. Because it didn't grab anyonefrom the get go.

Cellien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cellien

To have a long term plan in this business you have to have short term victory...

The reason the PS1 and PS2 were supported long past the standard 5 year cycle was because they were the UNDISPUTED MARKET LEADERS. By the time the cycle ended they were in a good position so Sony could continue to support them.

The PS3 on the other hand is getting its tail kicked in Japan by Nintendo, by Microsoft in the U.S., and by BOTH in Europe (weekly sales over there have now dropped to around 12000 a week).

The fact is, if your console fails in the first year or 2, devs and consumers will in fact move on. It's what happened to the Gamecube even though Nintendo made profit off it from the jump. Because it didn't grab anyonefrom the get go.

jackelcog
Interesting viewpoint.. Seems pretty valid aswell.
jackelcog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jackelcog
Member since 2007 • 31 Posts

MSE369

First off, not everyone starts off with losses (namely Nintendo). Second, no one has losses THIS BIG. Sony's losses in 6 months are half of what the original Xbox lost in FOUR YEARS.

Spin somewhere else. 

chubear700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 chubear700
Member since 2003 • 1945 Posts

If you would like an example of BIAS you should perhaps take a look at the TC's post history, it speaks volumes.

Trek5200
Yeah, he's a well known troll. Has some strange hate on Sony syndrome, like Sony is his mother that abandoned him at birth or something - it's just weird, but hey, no different from most trolls on here anyway. Speaking of trolls, isn't strange how the most rabid of trolls on this forum last year all have PS3s now? You know them like Bioshockownz, Blackace, carsales, rassterman, P3riu3er etc.
RandomTask221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RandomTask221
o
[QUOTE="Trek5200"]

chubear700

Yeah, he's a well known troll. Has some strange hate on Sony syndrome, like Sony is his mother that abandoned him at birth or something - it's just weird, but hey, no different from most trolls on here anyway. Speaking of trolls, isn't strange how the most rabid of trolls on this forum last year all have PS3s now? You know them like Bioshockownz, Blackace, carsales, rassterman, P3riu3er etc.

:lol: thats pretty funny..I don't know this guy, because I'm pretty new to the PS3 forums, but he sounds like a jackass.. haha

deadkingdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deadkingdg
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts

Well duh, they lose so much per console sales, but they have to sell it that low to pierce the market. They'll make profit over software once very big sellers like MGS, FF and God Of War gets on the PS3. Their investment will also be good if Blu-Ray wins. Not only that, but things like the laptop battery sure didn't help.

No risk, no gain.

deadkingdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deadkingdg
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts

First off, not everyone starts off with losses (namely Nintendo).

jackelcog

It's the only console that was sold at profit, obviously they won't lose much. Also counting that they saved a lot in R&D by using the same hardware. If you don't spend, obviously you won't lose money.