Sony admits they've been hacked

• 107 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dizzyrhino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dizzyrhino
Member since 2005 • 885 Posts

http://mediakick.org/2011/04/23/sony-an-external-intrusion-affecting-psn/

"An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th. Providing quality entertainment services to our customers and partners is our utmost priority. We are doing all we can to resolve this situation quickly, and we once again thank you for your patience. We will continue to update you promptly as we have additional information to share."

Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Batang_X990
Member since 2010 • 939 Posts

hope they fix it asap.

hell_player

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hell_player
Member since 2009 • 454 Posts

hope they fix it asap.

Batang_X990

Yeah:?

Awesome-Possum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Awesome-Possum
Member since 2011 • 93 Posts
Anonymous (or whoever is doing it) should have to face legal punishment
Ekxkfkfkdk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ekxkfkfkdk
Member since 2011 • 28 Posts
Unbe-freaking-lievable...all of this because a bunch of nerds are STILL butthurt that they got their stupid Linux removed? So for the rest of this generation, we're doomed to completely unstabled online play because of an on-going war between a company and a band of geeks? Wow...live isn't looking so bad now...only if there were some games worth playing on it.
katana_duo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 katana_duo
Member since 2005 • 1751 Posts
Someone doesn't like Sony very much...so they have to ruin it for the rest of us? Pretty damn selfish of them.
asphaltmedic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 asphaltmedic
Member since 2006 • 112 Posts

I would like to think there would be some bonus content or something for us when it comes back up....but I'm not going to hold my breath

Eagles931

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Eagles931
Member since 2006 • 2136 Posts
What's Linux?
manhello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 manhello
Member since 2009 • 136 Posts
i hope they give us like a 30 dollar psn code lololol
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
Nothing new..but Sony will fix it soon enough.
bigbenrfan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bigbenrfan99
Member since 2008 • 246 Posts

[QUOTE="Eagles931"]What's Linux? CHROMEFLAMIN
If you have to ask your probably not intelligent enough to use it.

Really? Not knowing what something is has to do with intelligence? You're the one that is not intelligent.

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts
[QUOTE="AdamRiggs4"]So Sony(a multi billion$$ company) doesn't have the capabilities to keep a bunch of basement dwelling computer nerds out of their systems? Really?!? Results not excuses Sony. This is getting ridiculous. Fix the damn problem and invest some freaking money in protecting your network and the loyal customers who support you with their hard earned money.

That is my first thought as well. Yes, this is ultimately the fault of whomever hacked them. However, Sony is a professional company. They were aware that their network was being threatened and they obviously didn't take the preventative measures necessary to avoid this. Who's to say that it won't happen again. They've lost my trust and they've done nothing to reassure me. I am disappointed with the way they're handling it and I hope they get everything together asap.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I have to agree.

corigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 corigan
Member since 2004 • 586 Posts
That is my first thought as well. Yes, this is ultimately the fault of whomever hacked them. However, Sony is a professional company. They were aware that their network was being threatened and they obviously didn't take the preventative measures necessary to avoid this. Who's to say that it won't happen again. They've lost my trust and they've done nothing to reassure me. I am disappointed with the way they're handling it and I hope they get everything together asap.frostybanana
Easier said than done. CNN, amazon, and a ton of other huge corporations have the same problem. Working in the web hosting industry, it's not as easy as you think to prevent some of these new hacking/DDoS methods. Even with scrubbers, DDoS shields, DDoS Mitigation, CDN's, and everything else, it still is difficult. Trying to determine how they did it and where the hole is can be an even more daunting task. I'm sure there are some brilliant minds over there at Sony working as fast as they can to rectify the issue. I know it is frustrating from a consumer level, but think of it from an employee level. They have their bosses screaming at them, Customer's on forum's complaining, and they are more than likely working as hard as they can around the clock. Now if Sony isn't putting the effort in to rectify this situation quickly, shame on them. However, these things do take times. Having spent Thousands of hours combating attacks at my office, it's no fun.
piranha_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 piranha_inc
Member since 2005 • 1994 Posts
Unbe-freaking-lievable...all of this because a bunch of nerds are STILL butthurt that they got their stupid Linux removed? So for the rest of this generation, we're doomed to completely unstabled online play because of an on-going war between a company and a band of geeks? Wow...live isn't looking so bad now...only if there were some games worth playing on it.Ekxkfkfkdk
Almost everything is multiplatform now so I can't see your point about games worth playing
katana_duo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 katana_duo
This better mean utmost stability when it is brought online again.
Eagles931

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Eagles931

If you have to ask your probably not intelligent enough to use it. Move along.

LMAO u feel cool saying that online? You made me laugh, I bet u felt like a badass posting that didn't you? :)
Tx-1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Tx-1000
Member since 2005 • 890 Posts

was recently announced that Anonymous has halted attacks on Sony. Now, the hacking group has released a statement detailing why they stopped OpSony.

In a statement provided to VGN365 by the group, Anonymous has decided the outcome of the PlayStation Network shortage as well as more factors were key to halting OpSony. The group have been fighting for the gamers and no one else.

This is what they said in their statement:

We have attacked Sony in order to send a message that gamers worldwide have certain rights, and are not merely sources of income. Your temporary inconveniences have allowed a lasting impact to be made upon Sony, and other corporations that are tempted to follow in the pursuit of sacrificing service to customers in exchange for larger profits. Although you may have been unable to game for a day, this event will likely provide hundreds of hours of such in the future. Anonymous are gamers too. And we support the rights of people worldwide, and will stand up for the right of having access to the device that you BOUGHT.

They ended the statement with:

Sony has decided not to Sue Geohotz; that is a victory. And that's one of our purpose in OpSony. Thus, we have achieved what we wanted. Mission accomplished.

they prevented millions of people from playing online and they so call themselves they support the rights of people worldwide? and in the end they only cared of geohot not getting sued? so what did the people world wide get from this?

katana_duo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 katana_duo
[QUOTE="CHROMEFLAMIN"]

[QUOTE="Eagles931"]What's Linux? Eagles931

LMAO u feel cool saying that online? You made me laugh, I bet u felt like a badass posting that didn't you? :)

Calm down guys geeze...no reason to get all upset
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#24 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

ladies and gentleman, say goodbye to PSN for a while. And by a while, I mean like 1-2 weeks. And allow me to explain why:

Finding how a hacker got into your network can be a lot like finding a needle in a stack of needles. It's not as easy as just running a systems check. They have to do a lot of work to track down how the hacker(s) got in and then, the task of figuring out how to bulletproof that same door so you can't get in it again. Oh, and then even more fun comes along when someone else punches a whole elsewhere and the whole process starts over again. Basically, we may be looking at a catastrophic meltdown for PSN if the attackers are numerous enough and smart enough.

I'm not a Xbox fanboy trying to troll, I am a proud PS3 owner and an avid gamer, but I am also a realist. Now that they have admitted that they have been hacked (which they probably did because they know their servers won't be up for another several days at the very least), Sony has basically gauranteed that their servers won't be back online for what could be a long damn time, and even once it is back up, there is very little assurance that it will be stable, or that it will not go down again quickly.

So yeah, gather up your single player and local coop games, and get ready for the long haul people, because we could be waiting a very, very long time to get back on PSN.

bigbenrfan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bigbenrfan99
Member since 2008 • 246 Posts

[QUOTE="bigbenrfan99"]

[QUOTE="CHROMEFLAMIN"] If you have to ask your probably not intelligent enough to use it.CHROMEFLAMIN

Really? Not knowing what something is has to do with intelligence? You're the one that is not intelligent.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/intelligence ... just because your ignorance amuses me.

This is the first definition from your reference:

"capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc."

Intelligence is the capacity for learning, not knowledge. It's funny that my ignorance amuses you, because ignorance is whatEagles931exhibited in his post, not a lack of intelligence.

Eagles931

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Eagles931
Im not upset dude. I guess I should just automatically know what Linux is. Since I don't know it, I'm not intelligent. I guess having a scholarship that pays for 3 years of tuition makes me a real idiot right?
dk00111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dk00111
Member since 2007 • 3123 Posts
These "basement dwelling computer nerds" (assuming Anonymous is behind this) have helped bring to light government, corporate, and religious corruption. And just to clarify, according to the article, hackers didn't take down PSN, Sony did.
Awesome-Possum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Awesome-Possum
Member since 2011 • 93 Posts
"Supporting us gamers!??!?!?!?" BULL SH*T!!!! I wanna play some games and this group decides in order to "support" us decides to shut down psn!?!?! What the hell? "Sources of income" my @ss!!! If that was the case they should go after live for charging money for internet usage, not the free playstation network. If this is how they "support" us then I don't want their support! Sure gaming can be expensive but this is Bull Sh*t...... This is probably about how they can't run stinking linux on it.... BTW Linux is an operating system for your computer like windows vista, windows 7, mac OS, etc.
dk00111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dk00111

Watch out, your elitism is showing.
katana_duo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 katana_duo
Kinda makes me wish I still had a 360 to play a bit of black ops...wait what am I saying??? D:
tekken220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 tekken220
Member since 2008 • 5105 Posts
Now this is just ridiculous. Why are these geeks so mad about Linux getting removed? If I want Linux, then I'll buy a computer, NOT a PS3!
PeelMyBanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PeelMyBanana
Member since 2011 • 255 Posts

If you don't know the difference between your and you're, then you're not intelligent enough to use those words.
Ekxkfkfkdk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ekxkfkfkdk
[QUOTE="Ekxkfkfkdk"]Unbe-freaking-lievable...all of this because a bunch of nerds are STILL butthurt that they got their stupid Linux removed? So for the rest of this generation, we're doomed to completely unstabled online play because of an on-going war between a company and a band of geeks? Wow...live isn't looking so bad now...only if there were some games worth playing on it.piranha_inc
Almost everything is multiplatform now so I can't see your point about games worth playing

Naw... ONLINE: Uncharted, resistance, gran turismo, killzone OFFLINE: infamous, uncharted (again), god of war, mgs * series
RAGEofSTUNTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RAGEofSTUNTS
Member since 2010 • 733 Posts
about time they admit it.I thought something was wrong with my ps3 because xbox live is working fine.good thing i decided to get portal 2 for the xbox 360 instead of getting SOCOM
Eagles931

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Eagles931
Thanks for answering my question, geeze was that so hard? Anyways back on topic, Im not too butthurt about PSN being down, I got my check, bought a suit for prom. Now I'm trying to find a site where I can buy the HTC Thunderbolt for under $200. The PSN downtime has actually allowed me to do things that I've put off.
T-Machine99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 T-Machine99
Member since 2007 • 1848 Posts

It just had to be down for the start of a long weekend...

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#38 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

[QUOTE="PeelMyBanana"][QUOTE="CHROMEFLAMIN"] If you have to ask your probably not intelligent enough to use it. Move along.

CHROMEFLAMIN

If you don't know the difference between your and you're, then you're not intelligent enough to use those words.

Nerd alert ...

says the guy ripping on someone for not knowing what Linux is... yeah, you're the coolest kid on the block there buddy...

360hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 360hammer
Member since 2009 • 2596 Posts

was recently announced that Anonymous has halted attacks on Sony. Now, the hacking group has released a statement detailing why they stopped OpSony.

In a statement provided to VGN365 by the group, Anonymous has decided the outcome of the PlayStation Network shortage as well as more factors were key to halting OpSony. The group have been fighting for the gamers and no one else.

This is what they said in their statement:

We have attacked Sony in order to send a message that gamers worldwide have certain rights, and are not merely sources of income. Your temporary inconveniences have allowed a lasting impact to be made upon Sony, and other corporations that are tempted to follow in the pursuit of sacrificing service to customers in exchange for larger profits. Although you may have been unable to game for a day, this event will likely provide hundreds of hours of such in the future. Anonymous are gamers too. And we support the rights of people worldwide, and will stand up for the right of having access to the device that you BOUGHT.

They ended the statement with:

Sony has decided not to Sue Geohotz; that is a victory. And that's one of our purpose in OpSony. Thus, we have achieved what we wanted. Mission accomplished.

they prevented millions of people from playing online and they so call themselves they support the rights of people worldwide? and in the end they only cared of geohot not getting sued? so what did the people world wide get from this?

Tx-1000

LMAO

I find it extremely funny how some people want to call these hackers basement dwellers and such when you don't have the slightest clue what, why, or how it is they are doing what they are doing. Now I don't condone what has transpired but I do understand why and it has far more to do than just someone in their group being sued. The quickest and easiest way to describe what is really going on is, imagine if it were all auto manufacturers telling people they would serve jail time for changing their own oil and not taking it to the shop to PAY the dealership to do it and putting a guy in jail for explaining how easy it was for you to change your oil and giving you instructions to do so. Ofcoarse this isn't the case because you paid for your car and own the title so you have every right to change your own oil and not be forced to pay someone else to do it. Now all anyone wants to talk about is piracy when it comes to altering a console but the bottom line here is giving information on how to MOD a console is completely different than pirating a game and giving it out for free. Knowledge is power and these actions over the past few days prove this. Fighting for the right of knowledge and to attain knowledge is far more important than your online gaming, unless you just want to be herded along in life pressing buttons like a bunch of cattle.

CHROMEFLAMIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CHROMEFLAMIN
Member since 2005 • 1902 Posts

[QUOTE="CHROMEFLAMIN"][QUOTE="PeelMyBanana"]If you don't know the difference between your and you're, then you're not intelligent enough to use those words.Essian

Nerd alert ...

says the guy ripping on someone for not knowing what Linux is... yeah, you're the coolest kid on the block there buddy...

Only one period there grammar nazi.
PeelMyBanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PeelMyBanana
Member since 2011 • 255 Posts

[QUOTE="PeelMyBanana"][QUOTE="CHROMEFLAMIN"] If you have to ask your probably not intelligent enough to use it. Move along.

CHROMEFLAMIN

Nerd alert ...

It's basic grammar. You would know this if you graduated elementary school.

Ekxkfkfkdk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ekxkfkfkdk
You know...if they REALLY wanted to "support" and to keep gamers from being treated as just "sources of income", they should be hacking Activision and EA if anything. They just rehash the same garbage every year, and EA charges for stuff that used to be unlocked by using cheat codes. I really hate these losers...
CHROMEFLAMIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CHROMEFLAMIN
Member since 2005 • 1902 Posts

[QUOTE="CHROMEFLAMIN"][QUOTE="PeelMyBanana"]If you don't know the difference between your and you're, then you're not intelligent enough to use those words.PeelMyBanana

Nerd alert ...

It's basic grammar. You would know this if you graduated elementary school.

He he.
RAGEofSTUNTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 RAGEofSTUNTS
Member since 2010 • 733 Posts
[QUOTE="Awesome-Possum"]"Supporting us gamers!??!?!?!?" BULL SH*T!!!! I wanna play some games and this group decides in order to "support" us decides to shut down psn!?!?! What the hell? "Sources of income" my @ss!!! If that was the case they should go after live for charging money for internet usage, not the free playstation network. If this is how they "support" us then I don't want their support! Sure gaming can be expensive but this is Bull Sh*t...... This is probably about how they can't run stinking linux on it.... BTW Linux is an operating system for your computer like windows vista, windows 7, mac OS, etc.

If they would attack live and shut it down that would be a crime sense you are paying for playing and they would owe Microsoft and the players money psn is a free option so complaining about it being down is like if you have a cow that poops solid bricks of gold and one day it's constipated
Cyb0rg360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Cyb0rg360
Member since 2006 • 387 Posts

Agreed, Awesome, why aren't there attacks on the LIVE service? This was merely to protect a fellow hacker. And honestly, who the hell are they to decide for ME what is the best way of dealing with the Geohot situation? This hasn't convinced me to side with them at all, if anything it has proven to me that these people are elitists that are just as bad as any other organisation that claims to know what's best for you. Hackers have done NOTHING to improve my life. I've had credit card numbers stolen, email accounts hacked to spit a bunch of spam out to my friends and family, etc. Who has to deal with that **** and clean up the mess and deal with the fraud departments? I do, not the **** losers that did it. These guys have done NOTHING for me as a gamer besides deny me my hobby.

dizzyrhino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dizzyrhino

These "basement dwelling computer nerds" (assuming Anonymous is behind this) have helped bring to light government, corporate, and religious corruption. And just to clarify, according to the article, hackers didn't take down PSN, Sony did.dk00111

That's quite a twist on logic. Like blaming the police for causing a bomb scare when they have to shut down a street to clear it.

dizzyrhino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dizzyrhino

If they want to attack someone it should be Xbox. They've put cameras that secretly monitor everything and send it back to their servers. Anonymous are supposed to be all against these 1984 tactics yet here it is in reality, Microsoft put cameras in the home!

dk00111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dk00111

[QUOTE="dk00111"]These "basement dwelling computer nerds" (assuming Anonymous is behind this) have helped bring to light government, corporate, and religious corruption. And just to clarify, according to the article, hackers didn't take down PSN, Sony did.dizzyrhino

That's quite a twist on logic. Like blaming the police for causing a bomb scare when they have to shut down a street to clear it.

Anon decided that taking down PSN did more harm than good, so they decided to persue their conflict with Sony using other methods, despite this, Sony took down PSN. I don't know all the details, maybe there are still some people messing with PSN, maybe not. But I don't think everyone blaming this on Anon is justified either.
dizzyrhino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dizzyrhino

[QUOTE="dizzyrhino"]

[QUOTE="dk00111"]These "basement dwelling computer nerds" (assuming Anonymous is behind this) have helped bring to light government, corporate, and religious corruption. And just to clarify, according to the article, hackers didn't take down PSN, Sony did.dk00111

Anon decided that taking down PSN did more harm than good, so they decided to persue their conflict with Sony using other methods, despite this, Sony took down PSN. I don't know all the details, maybe there are still some people messing with PSN, maybe not. But I don't think everyone blaming this on Anon is justified either.

Well it is justified, since Anon work as a collective anyone can claim the label. So even if this is another group it would still be Anon. I could hack your account and say I did it for anonymous. In the end, the whole idea behind Anon has come back to bite them in the ass. We can't be wrong. There's no fringe organisation in a grand collective that anyone can join.

Bladex2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Bladex2k
Member since 2003 • 2755 Posts
[QUOTE="AdamRiggs4"]So Sony(a multi billion$$ company) doesn't have the capabilities to keep a bunch of basement dwelling computer nerds out of their systems? Really?!? Results not excuses Sony. This is getting ridiculous. Fix the damn problem and invest some freaking money in protecting your network and the loyal customers who support you with their hard earned money.

they probably could but then u would have to pay 50$ for online