SOCOM...Good or Bad?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KeithTobberman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 KeithTobberman
Member since 2008 • 432 Posts

Hey,

I have never played any SOCOM games, and I was wondering whether or not the new one for PS3 is a good game for ONLINE play? I know the reviews were mediocre, but is it still a good online experience?

-Thanks

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#2 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

ON multiple occasions i have tried and played, it is absolutey DREADFUL to find a match that you can actually join. ONce you are in, things are playable, but its nothing special as third person tactical shooters have been done better.

THe GS review pretty much sums it up.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts
To me Socom has defined third person tactical shooters. Since a few weeks back when they released 1.2 things have gotten easier to get into games (for me at least) and sometime in early January version 1.3 will be released which is supposed to further fix things. Socom: Confrontation has become my online choice game over COD4, COD:WaW, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Resistance 2, and GRAW2, all of which I own.
ultima-flare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ultima-flare
Member since 2003 • 2259 Posts
Well if you are going by the reviews be careful...cause a week after release they put out a patch that fixed most off the problems(bugs, bad netcode, etc) that reviews cited. Unfortunately most sites won't review. However 1up did rereview and they increased the score from a C+ to a B+. http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3170791
Avatar image for deactivated-5b4bf92fc902e
deactivated-5b4bf92fc902e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 deactivated-5b4bf92fc902e
Member since 2006 • 3052 Posts
I was never a fan of Socom but I am considering buying the game because it comes with a bluetooth headset.
Igor19877891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Igor19877891
Member since 2003 • 1316 Posts

Hey,

I have never played any SOCOM games, and I was wondering whether or not the new one for PS3 is a good game for ONLINE play? I know the reviews were mediocre, but is it still a good online experience?

-Thanks

KeithTobberman
Igor19877891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Igor19877891
Member since 2003 • 1316 Posts

Stupid web site...

The game is great and I like it a lot, but it has problems.

Hey,

-Thanks

KeithTobberman
WhiteEagle91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WhiteEagle91
Member since 2009 • 117 Posts
I am interested in buying SOCOM: Confrontation to , this or next week , so hopefully they ironed out all the bugs . I heard from my mate , that has it , that its a great experience , and that there are no more server problems , lag or stuff like that .
NYiVtec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NYiVtec
Member since 2007 • 1422 Posts

SOCOM= good experience with some minor problems.

SOCOM with patch 1.30 in january= amazing experience

kungfuchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kungfuchaos
Member since 2004 • 5643 Posts
For me SOCOM is like a breathe of fresh air. I am so sick and tired of these cookie cutter, "realistic" shooters like CoD 4, 5 and Battlefield. SOCOM is alot of fun as long as you learn to forget everything you have learned playing FPS. SOCOM is very much a tactical shooter. Running and gunning gets you nothing but dead. I will say though as a newbie to SOCOM myself, the fan base as a whole isnt very tolerant to people not familiar with the whole SOCOM experience. Expect to get chewed out, mocked and kicked from games until you get the hang of things. If I were to give the average SOCOM player a grade on a 1-10 scale on the JERK-O-METER , they would get a 8. But its still alot of fun!
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
i love Socom Confront, and ive never played the other ones, altho i havent been on in a while cuz of LBP but i'll get back to Socom tonight. or as soon as the 1.30 update is up sometime that i dont know when, i planned to play Socom a lot after that.
aaronaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 aaronaton
Member since 2003 • 743 Posts
  • best audio systems ever seen in a shooter, featuring realistic echoes from distance gunfire, bullet cases can be kicked which make a noise etc etc.
  • very good solid hit detection that rivals that of counter strike, well socom always has.
  • The only game in the world that the vast mojority will have a headset, giving the best experience possible.
  • Nice density to the maps that give you great cover and camoflauge whcih all have physical propeties.
  • The best weapons sounds ever created, which vary on how distance the player is.
  • Best range of weapons, basically identical to CS but you can modify everything.
  • Character customisation.
  • Best teamwork experience going, clan matches of teh best in its class.

Pretty much teh ebst shooter going untiul MAG arrives.

JCMac120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JCMac120
Member since 2006 • 2771 Posts
For me SOCOM is like a breathe of fresh air. I am so sick and tired of these cookie cutter, "realistic" shooters like CoD 4, 5 and Battlefield. SOCOM is alot of fun as long as you learn to forget everything you have learned playing FPS. SOCOM is very much a tactical shooter. Running and gunning gets you nothing but dead. I will say though as a newbie to SOCOM myself, the fan base as a whole isnt very tolerant to people not familiar with the whole SOCOM experience. Expect to get chewed out, mocked and kicked from games until you get the hang of things. If I were to give the average SOCOM player a grade on a 1-10 scale on the JERK-O-METER , they would get a 8. But its still alot of fun!kungfuchaos
Yeah the hardcore SOCOM player (which most of them are) will definitely get on you about every little thing. :lol:
aaronaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 aaronaton
Member since 2003 • 743 Posts
It weren't like that on the EU beta servers, but i undertand your point, there was alot more jokes then actually telling people what to do, i hate americans trying to dictate and bark orders that are pathetic.
Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts
I have always been a fan of the Socom series, so this game is great to me... The update coming up this month sounds like it will be nice...
thebisonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 thebisonx
Member since 2003 • 2203 Posts
I have not played a Socom game prior to Confrontation and I have to say that so far I am enjoying it. The process of setting up, downloading updates, and installing them is laborious as all hell, but once you're past that, it is actually a solid third-person shooter. Don't get me wrong, there is still room for improvement, but it is by no means terrible.
TJSAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TJSAGE
Member since 2006 • 3540 Posts

Of course I got socom on day 1, played the other too Death...

but I maybe played this 1 for 3 dAYS OR 4.

it just does not feel like a ps3 or next gen game

jonesy1304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 jonesy1304
Member since 2006 • 569 Posts
socom is SWEET love it worth every penny
ninjaxmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ninjaxmas
Member since 2008 • 244 Posts
[QUOTE="KeithTobberman"]

Hey,

-Thanks

no, its still borderline broken even after the patches. pick up graw2 instead. its a much better game and runs great. its community isn't as big as socoms but you'll never have any probs finding a game...
ninjaxmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ninjaxmas
Member since 2008 • 244 Posts
I am interested in buying SOCOM: Confrontation to , this or next week , so hopefully they ironed out all the bugs . I heard from my mate , that has it , that its a great experience , and that there are no more server problems , lag or stuff like that .WhiteEagle91
yeah, theres still plenty of problems actually...
blazndragon0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blazndragon0
Member since 2006 • 703 Posts
I was never a fan of Socom but I am considering buying the game because it comes with a bluetooth headset.AnimeKiller
Probably the best reason to get it at this point. But once patch 1.3 comes out, it should be worth every dollar.
SocaWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SocaWarrior
Member since 2006 • 551 Posts
There are alot of games i want, and this one i was plannin on getting near launch, but launch date came and passed and I had no money. O well, i'll still keep it on the "need to get" list
iesexywarden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 iesexywarden
Member since 2005 • 723 Posts

socom is 40 bucks an attractive price tag along with an 60 dollar bundle including a headset which is by far the best bluetooth headset beating the jawbone and other highly priced expensive bluetooths. The headset is flawless.

As for socom 1.2 fixed most problems, when i play in a game usually theres an half a second lag spike, but rarly will is ruin the experience. Socom is a great game, its a long learning curve (learning maps, ect) but its so satisfing when you kill someone, especially when theres like 5 seconds left in a match and its just you and one mor enemy remaining, your team pretty much starts screaming in excitment about you. TBH socom is the most addictive shooter on the market, its how rb6v2 was meant to be. However socom offers deep tactical gameplay or a simple run and gun gameplay like cod4 if u play infinite respwawn unranked games (which also keeps a record). Customizing is really deep, you'll like it. While graphics arent anything sepecial, the lighting and smoothness makes it look "pretty" and nice. As for community, its great, theres really no jerks i ran into, EVERYONE (i mean like EVERYONE) uses a mic, usually the ps3 official mic. making it nice crisp and clear. People play statgically. For exampe my bud was in a gunfight, and was stalling an enemy, he just told me to come around the right and ill be behind him and kill em. People are cool like that and not kill W****s.

I was in the same boat has you a few weeks ago.And socom changed all that. It proved me wrong definietly deserving a 9/10 score

charx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 charx2
Member since 2004 • 203 Posts
My old lady got it for me for xmas, let's just say she is regreting it cause i can't put it down. I have absolutly no problems joining games and usually when i get in it runs smooth, sometimes it will hang up from lag but other then that it is AWSOME!!! People actually communicate and if you lucky to get into a game with good people who communicate alot or join a good clan, it is incredible. I read the review and was expecting garbage but i said "maaeee it comes with a bluetooth". GS review needs to be rereviewed because this game has stoped be from playing any other games, cod sits idle which blows my mind because i was a addict...
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts
[QUOTE="ninjaxmas"][QUOTE="KeithTobberman"]

Hey,

-Thanks

no, its still borderline broken even after the patches. pick up graw2 instead. its a much better game and runs great. its community isn't as big as socoms but you'll never have any probs finding a game...

When I attempted to play GRAW2 online, I found there to be tons of lag. Way more than anything I've seen in Socom since 1.2.
GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
They really fixed a LOT of things. There is still some lag on occasion, and loading times still suck, but the gameplay is better now, though in the map "Fallen", too many people glitch and get up in the cliffs... 1.30 coming soon shouldfix a lot of stuff.
tommcruise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tommcruise
Member since 2007 • 719 Posts

SOCOM is a great game... I still play it quite a bit... and this is coming from a guy who gets bored with a game after a couple of days.

Graphics are crisp, gun sounds are realistic, and people are actually at a standoff when in fire fights (they don't just rush up to people like COD4). Screw the critics.