SO why isn't it possible to play PS2 games on the 40 gig?

• 47 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

boostud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 boostud
Member since 2004 • 1242 Posts

I'm new to the bunch here, so if I'm wrong please correct me.

80 gig can play PS2 games through emulation software

60 gig actually has the PS2 hardware in it for full compatibility

40 gig has NO emulation or hardware in it

Why do they not allow emulation on the 40 gig? Isn't it honestly the same hardware as the 80 gig, minus a few USB ports?

MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts

I'm new to the bunch here, so if I'm wrong please correct me.

80 gig can play PS2 games through emulation software

60 gig actually has the PS2 hardware in it for full compatibility

40 gig has NO emulation or hardware in it

Why do they not allow emulation on the 40 gig? Isn't it honestly the same hardware as the 80 gig, minus a few USB ports?

boostud

To sum it up. You get what you pay form.

Ryzcvk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Ryzcvk
Member since 2005 • 71 Posts
That's odd , I've played some PS2 games on my PS3 without any problems and its the 40GB model.
jimbobtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 jimbobtom
Member since 2004 • 789 Posts
liar!
That's odd , I've played some PS2 games on my PS3 without any problems and its the 40GB model. Ryzcvk
Azurathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Azurathe
Member since 2003 • 498 Posts

The 20/60 gb models have full hardware bc. The 80 gb has the graphics syntesizer (forget which) and the rest is handled through software. The 40gb has none of the necessary hardware.

Or that is what people here say. Im willing to take their word on it.

Ryzcvk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ryzcvk
Now why would i lie when I'm only trying to help him and I wouldnt have posted here if I had the same problem now would I ?
jimbobtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jimbobtom
Member since 2004 • 789 Posts

Now why would i lie when I'm only trying to help him and I wouldnt have posted here if I had the same problem now would I ?Ryzcvk
the 40GB can NOT play PS2 games

so dont lie

punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts
It like buying a mustang. You can get the basic stick shift for $17k. Or you can get the better model Mustang for $24k. Looks better,runs better. And if you want even better well.... You pay more.
MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#9 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts

That's odd , I've played some PS2 games on my PS3 without any problems and its the 40GB model.Ryzcvk

Yea. 40GB Can't play ps1/ps2 games, so please don't confuse the guy. That goes to show that you sir don't have a ps3.

swizzlar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 swizzlar
Member since 2005 • 638 Posts

Now why would i lie when I'm only trying to help him and I wouldnt have posted here if I had the same problem now would I ?Ryzcvk

unless your ps3 is the unique only one relased 40gb ps3 you cant play ps2 games on a 40gb just ps1 games. sony says they are in talks with companies to allow the 40gb to play ps2 but nothing official. you can find it on the bc website. its in small writhing so you might miss it

duffman0084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 duffman0084
Member since 2006 • 120 Posts

[QUOTE="Ryzcvk"]That's odd , I've played some PS2 games on my PS3 without any problems and its the 40GB model.MusashiSensi

Yea. 40GB Can't play ps1/ps2 games, so please don't confuse the guy. That goes to show that you sir don't have a ps3.

well it the 40 can play ps1 games just not ps2

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts

no im about to tell you all something that will rock your worlds.....yes you CAN actually play ps2 games on your 40 gig. it has the same hardware in it as the 80 gig sony just made it so that its not work...

i would tell you more but of course you all already think the guy above me was a liar for saying he could play ps2 games on his ps3. i fully believe him...so its only so very predictable what you all would say to what im about to tell you

Ryzcvk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ryzcvk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZYKlwENIrs

Alright I'm sorry if I was trying to "confuse" the guy but here's a vid to prove that it works for me. Correct me if im wrong. I dont mind providing more vids if you guys still dont believe me and sorry if the vid isnt clear enough.

boostud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 boostud
Member since 2004 • 1242 Posts
I honestly don't care about not being able to play PS2 games that badly. I was just gonna say that its a total rip off if it was only software emulation and they did not include it. But, seems that all the others do have hardware that makes them capable. Answered my question. Thanks guys.
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts

wow, so does it really play em? 40gb plays ps2 games as well!!!!???

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 slvrraven9
it requires a patch that sony made to actually fix problems that people were having with their current ps3s youd have to know some one who actually has the patch because sony only like i said gave it to select people as a problem solver...but the ironic thing is, the patch wasnt made to fix backwards compatiblility though
brzlnstud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 brzlnstud
Member since 2003 • 65 Posts

Honestly, I would not be surprised if the 40GB PS3 did in fact play PS2 games... It's made with the same hardware as the 80GB

but without "software emulation" for backwards compatibility for PS2... Think about it... Sony can boost PS3 sales by

saying "we are dropping support for software emulation altogether" (remember the whole rumble is previous generation drama?)

people that were waiting for further price drops will run like hell and buy the supposedly more expensive unit because it's "no longer in production."

With the 20 & 60GB out of the picture, all that is left is the 80GB... Once that one is gone too the only SKU left is
the 40GB.

Which obviously is cheaper to manufacture, and will sell regardless of backwards compatibility. (Rumble didn't stop anyone, on the general consensus, from purchasing a PS3, so why should backwards compatibility? Especially with people whose PS2's are still working like a charm.)

Sony can spice things up by saying "Surprise! Everyone that bought a 40GB can play PS2 titles as of now"

Sony could very well "enable" it through firmware update I suppose. (They have done wonders in the past with these updates, and I'm sure there are many "wow" factors to come. And no, I'm not talking about world of war craft, I'm referring to the jaw dropping type of wow ;) )

How soon that could that take place will depend on weather or not a new SKU will appear in North America. Anyway, that's what I think is going to happen down the line.:P

I'm an earlier adopter and I love My 60GB PS3:D

swizzlar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 swizzlar

Alright I'm sorry if I was trying to "confuse" the guy but here's a vid to prove that it works for me. Correct me if im wrong. I dont mind providing more vids if you guys still dont believe me and sorry if the vid isnt clear enough.

Ryzcvk

what show me some more videos. cuz if this turns out to be tru man you my friend are gonna be internet famous (dont 4get me when your having tea with hollywoods finest. i could be your pr manager) for a couple of hours. more clear videos showing the usb ports so that we can definately know that the ps3 is a 40 gb version

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts

it requires a patch that sony made to actually fix problems that people were having with their current ps3s youd have to know some one who actually has the patch because sony only like i said gave it to select people as a problem solver...but the ironic thing is, the patch wasnt made to fix backwards compatiblility thoughslvrraven9

well how do u know if ur one of those selected ppl? and thats kinda retarded IMHO, but oh well if it does play it ill try later after work and see wat i can do..

SSJBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 SSJBen
Member since 2003 • 7071 Posts

For the billionth time, the 40GB PS3 has NO EE and GS(CPU and GPU for the PS2). Crap about all the patches Sony can do and so on, but without atelast the GS theres no way a PS2 game can be played on the 40GB PS3.

@Ryzcvk
All I got from you vid link is a "Video has been removed by user" :roll:

dewmandew7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dewmandew7
Member since 2005 • 4152 Posts
The 80 GB still contains some part of the PS2 (the semi-conductors or something). The 40 GB does NOT. Sony said emulation would be possible, but they'd have to have seperate emulation for each individual game.
brzlnstud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 brzlnstud
Member since 2003 • 65 Posts

For the billionth time, the 40GB PS3 has NO EE and GS(CPU and GPU for the PS2). Crap about all the patches Sony can do and so on, but without atelast the GS theres no way a PS2 game can be played on the 40GB PS3.

@Ryzcvk

SSJBen

For the the Billionth and one time 80GB ps3 HAS NO EE chip... FYI, GPU has nothing to do with software emulation. How else do you think people play "EMULATED GAMES WITH EMULATORS" on their PC with any basic crappy, even integrated gpu...

swizzlar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 swizzlar
hey wheres the guy with the videos.we need some more proof cuz im about to go crazy here all my lovely ps2 games just w8ing to be smoked
abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 abdelmessih101
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts
[QUOTE="SSJBen"]

@Ryzcvk

brzlnstud

For the the Billionth and one time 80GB ps3 HAS NO EE chip... FYI, GPU has nothing to do with software emulation. How else do you think people play "EMULATED GAMES WITH EMULATORS" on their PC with any basic crappy, even integrated gpu...

The 80GB still has the PS2 graphics card which the 40GB does not have.

vitonemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26 vitonemesis
Member since 2006 • 3162 Posts

@Ryzcvk

SSJBen

the one thing i learned in this life my friend is never say never

swizzlar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 swizzlar

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAYIED FOR.

NEXT TIME REMEMBER THE MORE CASH YOU USE THE BETTER THE PRODUCT

Sony_92

noone put a gun to your head and asked for your opinion. some ppl didnt have the oppurtuinity to get the 80 or 60gb version when they were available. and pls learn to turn caps off

vitonemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#29 vitonemesis
Member since 2006 • 3162 Posts

[QUOTE="Ryzcvk"]Now why would i lie when I'm only trying to help him and I wouldnt have posted here if I had the same problem now would I ?swizzlar

unless your ps3 is the unique only one relased 40gb ps3 you cant play ps2 games on a 40gb just ps1 games. sony says they are in talks with companies to allow the 40gb to play ps2 but nothing official. you can find it on the bc website. its in small writhing so you might miss it

this guy telling the truth check the page theres a small chance the 40gb will have BC :D

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts

[QUOTE="Ryzcvk"]That's odd , I've played some PS2 games on my PS3 without any problems and its the 40GB model.MusashiSensi

It can play PS1

rpgfreak15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rpgfreak15
Member since 2004 • 759 Posts

Ryzcvk

"Video Removed by User"

Hope you're not lying boss, i actually want to see specific USB ports (2) and a PS2 game inside actually working.

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
I for one am glad I got one of the early 60 gig PS3's. As for the other issues of emulation or no emulation the 80 gig still has some of the hardware that made emulation possible where the 40 gig had absolutly no hardware that supported PS2 games. Also in the PAL region there where never any PS3's that had the EE chip at any time.
strife730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 strife730
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I honestly think that Sony will faze out the 80g and add BC via firmware to the 40g. One price point/one sku.

loggerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 loggerz
Member since 2007 • 577 Posts

I cry so much right now.

MY 60 Gig model was stolen from my apartment 2 weeks ago and I had to settle for a dumb ass 40 Gig model since 80 gig model hasn't come out to my country yet and won't come to it for quite a long time + I don't really have that much money atm :X.

They also stole my PS2 and just about all my PS2 games, So I guess no big loss on that part >.>.

The wierd thing and maybe a little bit comfourting is that they did not steal a single PS3 game?

I was actually quite surprised to find them lying near the tv in a neat stack still alligned :x.

Ocram_Zepol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ocram_Zepol
Member since 2006 • 1199 Posts

That's odd , I've played some PS2 games on my PS3 without any problems and its the 40GB model.Ryzcvk

Liar liar pants on fire!

locoidontknow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 locoidontknow
Member since 2008 • 170 Posts

Ryzcvk

Hey, I beleive it could work, but could you tell me how, or if it just works tell me wich games or game. Even if you just message me and not the post.

Lalander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lalander
Member since 2006 • 28 Posts
[QUOTE="brzlnstud"][QUOTE="SSJBen"]

@Ryzcvk

abdelmessih101

The 80GB still has the PS2 graphics card which the 40GB does not have.

Exactly. The CPU, the EE, is software emulated in the NTSC 80GB and the PAL 60GB.

The Graphics chip, the GS, is still present in those models.

For the 40GB to play PS2 games Sony has to write software emulation for the GS, which they might do in the future.

baller72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 baller72
Member since 2007 • 1847 Posts
just because the hardware looks the same one the outside does not mean that the componets on the inside cost the same.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

boostud

...because they want your money. They broke the BC on the 40gig on purpose. You can either spend an extra 100 bucks for the PS2 BC on a PS3 and then spend another 40-60 bucks for the rumble controller... or buy a PS2 with a memory card. Either way they get an extra 150+ bucks out of you....

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts

It CAN play PS1 games!!! NOT PS2! :D Just clearing that up! :D
slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 slvrraven9

[QUOTE="slvrraven9"]it requires a patch that sony made to actually fix problems that people were having with their current ps3s youd have to know some one who actually has the patch because sony only like i said gave it to select people as a problem solver...but the ironic thing is, the patch wasnt made to fix backwards compatiblility thoughJoKeR_421

well how do u know if ur one of those selected ppl? and thats kinda retarded IMHO, but oh well if it does play it ill try later after work and see wat i can do..

well youd contact sony who gives you the patch to fix the 60 gig ps3 (because thats what it was designed for) unfortunatly for sony some people found that the patch could enhance the capabilities of the 40 gig and it would leak. its definatly official but its extremely hard to find info about it on the net unless you visit some illeagal forum or something. only way you can get the patch is by contacting sony with a prob for the 60 gig or finding someone who already has it though and i couldnt tell you for the life of me what particular problem youd have to have to get the patch though...

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#42 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

I was under the impressiont that 40 gb has no bc, 60 gb has full bc, and 80 gb has like 80% bc.

SSJBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#45 SSJBen
Member since 2003 • 7071 Posts
[QUOTE="SSJBen"]

@Ryzcvk

brzlnstud

Yea, like no one didn't know the 80GB has no EE.

You're comparing emulators on PC to emulation on the PS3 now? For your very much needed info, EVERY PC has atleast a dedicated GPU, be it intergrated or a graphics card. Add to the fact that all these emulators are your SNES, GBA, Atari 5200, etc.

And add to one more fact that no emulators out there is perfect as well. And add to one more fact that have you seen an actual WORKING PS2 emulator for the PC yet?

So, what are you trying to point out then? That Sony rewrites an entirely new emulation software which enables PS2 games to be fed off from the RSX and Cell? The day Sony does that is the day Sony takes over Nintendo and Microsoft.

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 abdelmessih101
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts

I was under the impressiont that 40 gb has no bc, 60 gb has full bc, and 80 gb has like 80% bc.

hillelslovak

40GB: PS1 BC

60GB: PS1 BC and EE chip for near perfect PS2 BC (not 100%, but close)

80GB: PS1 BC and sofware emulation for PS2 BC (plays most of the games you'll care about anyway :P)

The difference between the 40GB and the 80GB is that the 80GB has the PS2 graphics card to enable it to use sofware to emulate the PS2 CPU and play PS2 games. The 40GB does not have the PS2 graphics card, and would need to emulate both the PS2's GPU and CPU in order to play PS2 games.

Sony may release software at some point in the future which would allow the 40GB to play PS2 games, but this is unlikely as they have said they are focused on improving the PS3 and game sales for the PS3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#47 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
[QUOTE="hillelslovak"]

abdelmessih101

40GB: PS1 BC

60GB: PS1 BC and EE chip for near perfect PS2 BC (not 100%, but close)

80GB: PS1 BC and sofware emulation for PS2 BC (plays most of the games you'll care about anyway :P)

The difference between the 40GB and the 80GB is that the 80GB has the PS2 graphics card to enable it to use sofware to emulate the PS2 CPU and play PS2 games. The 40GB does not have the PS2 graphics card, and would need to emulate both the PS2's GPU and CPU in order to play PS2 games.

Sony may release software at some point in the future which would allow the 40GB to play PS2 games, but this is unlikely as they have said they are focused on improving the PS3 and game sales for the PS3.

So in other words, if I want to play Ps2 games as well, the 60 gb is probablyt he best bet? Because I dont think I have enough money for the 80 gb anyway.

FF6fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FF6fan
Member since 2007 • 1637 Posts

The 60 gig is on average 200$ more so if you cant afford a 80 gig im pretty sure u cant afford a 60gig unless you find 1 dirt cheap.

Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts
In an absurdly devious move, Sony decided that it detracted from PS3 game sales. Glad I got the 60gb when I did.