So why do you go after trophies, anyway?

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

I'm curious... because I've never been a trophy fan, but lately, I've been going after WipEout HD trophies, eventually the platinum, and it's pretty fun.

But that's because I love WipEout.

To me there's two kinds of trophy whores: those who only whore on the games they think are worth the effort and those who whore on every game they buy.

I am the former, but my question is directed towards the latter. If you're the kind who goes after trophies in whatever game you play, why? What is your motivation? To have the most trophies?

Or is that kind of grinding just fun to you?

I'm trying to understand you weirdos. :P

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
The only games I try getting Platinums in are the games I really, really, REALLY love. That said, I don't have any Platinum trophies right now.
-Hoax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -Hoax-
Member since 2008 • 5331 Posts
Out of my 18 games ive got 3 Golds!!! Im getting there ill soon has they first Platinums:)
AudioPrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#4 AudioPrison
Member since 2008 • 1620 Posts

Because im easiy amused :lol: I dont know why I try to collect them, I just like to really :)

Avatar image for b3yondstupidity
b3yondstupidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 b3yondstupidity
Member since 2007 • 12500 Posts
I don't really, only sometimes, otherwise I just end up getting them going through story mode without trying.
Racer_XLR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Racer_XLR
Member since 2008 • 21664 Posts

it's pretty fun.

Scianix-Black

Right there. . . that would be my reason. If I decided to go after some trophy, I'll try to have some fun whiledoing it. If it becomes a chore I'm stopping.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Scianix-Black

[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

it's pretty fun.

Racer_XLR

Right there. . . that would be my reason. If I decided to go after some trophy, I'll try to have some fun whiledoing it. If it becomes a chore I'm stopping.

On a side note, Lu Bu for the win.

However, X-shaped weapon that isn't a huge spear for the horrible, horrible lose.

Racer_XLR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Racer_XLR
Member since 2008 • 21664 Posts

On a side note, Lu Bu for the win.

However, X-shaped weapon that isn't a huge spear for the horrible, horrible lose.

Scianix-Black

Bah. I prefer Gan Ning.

NaughtyRag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NaughtyRag
Member since 2009 • 2309 Posts

Considering i only get games i like, i am never bored of the game by the time i get the platinum..

I got 100% in gta3, all in game awards in uncharted and dmc4, all emblems in mgs4 ect.. so i guess i just like completing things fully.. i would rather have an option to hide my trophy list from the public, but i would still get them..

I don't always play AAA games, so people assume i am whoring "bad" games..

like i just got the platinum in dynasty warriors 6 empires, and was bashed.. but i have played all 6 games, plus all 4 xtreme legends, 2 gundam, 3 empires, 2 tactics.. so i am a fan of the series.. but that didn't matter.. i'll admit the games aren't great but they are fun to me.. so it's annoying and pathetic for people to judge your collection based on their game tastes..

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Scianix-Black

like i just got the platinum in dynasty warriors 6 empires, and was bashed.. but i have played all 6 games, plus all 4 xtreme legends, 2 gundam, 3 empires, 2 tactics.. so i am a fan of the series.. but that didn't matter.. i'll admit the games aren't great but they are fun to me.. so it's annoying and pathetic for people to judge your collection based on their game tastes..

NaughtyRag

lol, I get this crap too... I've loved Dynasty Warriors since DW2 but now that there's trophies involved, I'm whoring them.

Eh... people are just so tied to reviewer ratings that they can't think for themselves, so that's their problem.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I honestly don't even know why I get them anymore. I've come to realize that I have more fun with games when I do as I please rather than following a checklist of goals to complete. I used to get platinums for any game I got regardless of myself liking it or not. I did this because I figured I was capable of doing it, so why not just do it?

Lately, I've been a lot less aggressive about getting them. I really didn't like Prototype, so I simply stopped playing it, without even coming close to 100%. Same goes for Bioshock. I must have missed something since everyone I know loves that game but I only found it to be okay.

I'm now only going to get platinums for games that I really like. It's good that you're going for the Wipeout Platinum since you really like the game (it's also a very hard platinum to get).

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

I collect them when I get bored of the games I have

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

I used to whore them, but now I only get them if I like the game, alot.

Leon_Kennedy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Leon_Kennedy1
Member since 2006 • 1030 Posts
Earning a platinum trophy for a certain game may be a clear message to everyone that you have mastered that game, those which you can find in Wipeout HD, Warhawk, Socom ,etc.. And I also don't mean trophies that requires stupid things to do, like killing 10000 person in ranked matches in Resistance 2, or being in top 10% for a week in killzone 2 multiplayer or whatever, because those trophies are dedicated to people who play 24 hours non-stop and earning them doesnt mean that you've " mastered " that game, anyone can get them but it just need time. For me I have earned 6 platinums, but its nothing for me because getting them was way too easy ( Uncharted, Dead Space, Fallout 3, Infamous, Tomb Raider: Underworld and Bioshock ( the hardest one of them ) ) So I just collect trophies for fun mainly.. although i tried very hard to get Wipeout's platinum but I couldn't, too damn hard for me :cry:
Cross-Edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cross-Edge
Member since 2009 • 38 Posts

I'm not a trophy whore, but I DO enjoy the challenges they present. To me it's just a matter of completing a challenge. The trophy is but a testament to my efforts. I don't boast about them. The arrogance of boasting is what ultimately "whores" out the trohpy/achievement systems.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
I only go for trophies on recurring play-throughs, just to serve as inspiration to continue playing once the story has been finished. Theres an occasional trophy that sounds like fun to acquire I might also shoot for.
unknownceltic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 unknownceltic
Member since 2008 • 243 Posts

I only go after trophies on games that I really like, since it adds 2 the replay value..

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts
I see it as a challenge, things to do after you completed the game. That being said I hardly ever keep trophies in mind when I'm playing through a game for the first time.And I would only try to get platinum if I really,really loved the game or just found the Platinum easy like RE5's platinum. I haven't gotten it yet but the only challenging trophy I would say would be to get all the treasures in the game.
Unknown_Hero3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Unknown_Hero3
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts

The only games i really went hard for trophies in was LBP, Burnout, and now Fat Princess. But i still almost have 400. I don't like getting frustrated over them, so i go for the easy ones.

grand17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 grand17
Member since 2007 • 2079 Posts
i used to play just for trophys but now i dont care. the only platinums i go for are the extremely easy ones
macho_c_a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 macho_c_a
Member since 2006 • 1007 Posts
i usually only get like 35 to 50% of game trophys. I like to beat a game once i start it and if i really love it i will replay it in a higher difficulty, and thats about it. I hate online achievements because they require a lot of time and patience...
Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts

So I can show off my virtual medals!!! I WANT EVERYONE TO SEE! Everyone needs to know that I'm the BEST!

CannedWorms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#23 CannedWorms
Member since 2009 • 3381 Posts

Games I Platinum'd:

• Uncharted
  • Burnout Paradise
  • InFamous
  • World at War
  • Resistance 2

What do these games have in common? I liked them:).

L30KinG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 L30KinG
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts

i never axtually went for tropjies, but inFamous changed it all, now im hetting trophies for BF: bC and some killzone trophies

why cause its fun

blank33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 blank33
Member since 2005 • 1896 Posts

I don't care for trophies. It's too much work to put into a game, it becomes tedious, and it doesn't really give me any sense of accomplishment.

NaughtyRag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NaughtyRag
Member since 2009 • 2309 Posts

[QUOTE="NaughtyRag"]

Scianix-Black

lol, I get this crap too... I've loved Dynasty Warriors since DW2 but now that there's trophies involved, I'm whoring them.

Eh... people are just so tied to reviewer ratings that they can't think for themselves, so that's their problem.

Yeah, there isn't a problem reading reviews but some people use reviewers arguments as their own without witnessing them first hand.. its one thing to agree, it's something entirely different to act like you played the game when you haven't..

I once was talking to a guy who said MGS4 was the greatest game of all time, and i asked him what did he think about the humor in some of the cutscenes/calls/boss battles.. and he said IDK i never played it, but people were talking about how amazing it is, it has to be the best of all time..

Anyways, yeah the "whoring" tag given to people has become more annoying then the people in some games who say you cheated/hacked/glitched/turbo controller ect.(excuses) if you kill them..

Shmoe82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#27 Shmoe82
Member since 2003 • 672 Posts
I go for trophies for a few reasons. One is that it shows your dedication to a certain game. I also like it give me little objectives to do when some games have boring spots in them or the game is just too easy by itself. I usually get bored of a game long before I get the Platinum trophy though. Its funny though cause I asked people the same question back in July.
Avatar image for KittensWithBeer
KittensWithBeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KittensWithBeer
Member since 2007 • 782 Posts

I got platinum in burnout yesterday without even trying. I don't really try for trophies, but hearing the noise when I earn a trophy, it's the greatest sound on earth.

Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#29 Mickeyminime
Member since 2008 • 1583 Posts
Earning a platinum trophy for a certain game may be a clear message to everyone that you have mastered that game, those which you can find in Wipeout HD, Warhawk, Socom ,etc.. And I also don't mean trophies that requires stupid things to do, like killing 10000 person in ranked matches in Resistance 2, or being in top 10% for a week in killzone 2 multiplayer or whatever, because those trophies are dedicated to people who play 24 hours non-stop and earning them doesnt mean that you've " mastered " that game, anyone can get them but it just need time. For me I have earned 6 platinums, but its nothing for me because getting them was way too easy ( Uncharted, Dead Space, Fallout 3, Infamous, Tomb Raider: Underworld and Bioshock ( the hardest one of them ) ) So I just collect trophies for fun mainly.. although i tried very hard to get Wipeout's platinum but I couldn't, too damn hard for me :cry:Leon_Kennedy1
Tomb Raider Underworld has Trophis o.O, i have the game and ive not had any Trophy pop up?
magicquebec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 magicquebec
Member since 2006 • 1306 Posts

I'm curious... because I've never been a trophy fan, but lately, I've been going after WipEout HD trophies, eventually the platinum, and it's pretty fun.

But that's because I love WipEout.

To me there's two kinds of trophy whores: those who only whore on the games they think are worth the effort and those who whore on every game they buy.

I am the former, but my question is directed towards the latter. If you're the kind who goes after trophies in whatever game you play, why? What is your motivation? To have the most trophies?

Or is that kind of grinding just fun to you?

I'm trying to understand you weirdos. :P

Scianix-Black
It gives a purpose, we are far from the "who as the most points" era, 30 years ago, you would go after the best High Score possible to prove to yourself that you are worthy ! Now it's TROPHIES C'mon you all know the feeling when in the upper right corner, you see a new Trophy pop up !
TJSAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TJSAGE
Member since 2006 • 3540 Posts

they add replay value

HeroKen-ii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HeroKen-ii
Member since 2008 • 458 Posts

To get more replay value.

Leon_Kennedy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Leon_Kennedy1
Member since 2006 • 1030 Posts
[QUOTE="Leon_Kennedy1"]Earning a platinum trophy for a certain game may be a clear message to everyone that you have mastered that game, those which you can find in Wipeout HD, Warhawk, Socom ,etc.. And I also don't mean trophies that requires stupid things to do, like killing 10000 person in ranked matches in Resistance 2, or being in top 10% for a week in killzone 2 multiplayer or whatever, because those trophies are dedicated to people who play 24 hours non-stop and earning them doesnt mean that you've " mastered " that game, anyone can get them but it just need time. For me I have earned 6 platinums, but its nothing for me because getting them was way too easy ( Uncharted, Dead Space, Fallout 3, Infamous, Tomb Raider: Underworld and Bioshock ( the hardest one of them ) ) So I just collect trophies for fun mainly.. although i tried very hard to get Wipeout's platinum but I couldn't, too damn hard for me :cry:Mickeyminime
Tomb Raider Underworld has Trophis o.O, i have the game and ive not had any Trophy pop up?

Download the patch then start on a new save file
BayKing8877

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BayKing8877
Member since 2009 • 53 Posts

I like the sound that they make when i get one

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I don't go after trophies, so I can't really answer the question.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
I really like going after trophies after I already completed the said game. Like right now, since I'm not getting anymore games until next month, I've been trying to platinum inFamous for the fun of it, not because I HAVE to.
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#37 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
If I can get the platinum I'll try... if I know I can't then i'll get whatever trophy I can.. I just like trophies. They give me random things to accomplish and make me feel good about myself :)
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

Going through a mindless "checklist" of repetitive, unnesessary goals dictated by the devs is not my idea of fun. Especially when the end result is just a meaningless icon that doesn't even have ingame value. If anything, "trophies" and "achievements" have diluted gaming in general.

At least, before all of this crap started. When you completed a certain task, you unlocked something. You were rewarded with an item in the game. Even then, the tasks weren't as dumb as "kill the blue thing a hundred times" as seen with your "trophies" today.

Avatar image for deactivated-59506133570df
deactivated-59506133570df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 deactivated-59506133570df
Member since 2007 • 10348 Posts

I like the "ding" noise, but I won't go very far out of my way to get a trophy, but I WILL HAVE THE BIOSHOCK PLATINUM EVENTUALLY. Currently I only have the Burnout Paradise plat, an awesome game, and a very, very easy plat.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Going through a mindless "checklist" of repetitive, unnesessary goals dictated by the devs is not my idea of fun. Especially when the end result is just a meaningless icon that doesn't even have ingame value. If anything, "trophies" and "achievements" have diluted gaming in general.

At least, before all of this crap started. When you completed a certain task, you unlocked something. You were rewarded with an item in the game. Even then, the tasks weren't as dumb as "kill the blue thing a hundred times" as seen with your "trophies" today.

Denji

Too bad games aren't like Uncharted where all of the trophies gave you points towards unlocking stuff in the game. More game's should follow Naught Dog's view of trophies/achievements

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

[QUOTE="Denji"]

BPoole96

Too bad games aren't like Uncharted where all of the trophies gave you points towards unlocking stuff in the game. More game's should follow Naught Dog's view of trophies/achievements

At least it would give some credit to the whole trophy thing. But I think they are in a minority.

But then again, there are the "tasks required".

NoobisMaxcimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NoobisMaxcimus
Member since 2007 • 2893 Posts

Because its pretty fun. I know I'm not a trophy whore because i know i won't have fun doing the massive grind that is the GTA4 platinum.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I used to not care at all and would just play through the story at a comfortable difficulty and go from there. With the lack of good games over the summer and the lack of funds to buy up all the shovelware, I've taken to actually going back to get the trophies. I guess if you want a short a sweet answer, I needed a time killer and didn't have the money to buy a good one.
Lantern-Cusp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Lantern-Cusp
Member since 2009 • 739 Posts

I just think it adds an extra challenge to the game, so why not try and accomplish it?

alien100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 alien100000
Member since 2005 • 825 Posts

I don't usually go out of my way to get trophies but I am trying to get the platinum trophy for Infamous becausee I want to get at least one platinum trophy.

Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Furi-Kun
Member since 2007 • 10903 Posts

Just for the lulz.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

I like Naughty Dog's and Insomniac's form of unlockables which will be trophies in the upcoming games no doubt more than just trophies that do nothing for the game itself.

navstar29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 navstar29
Member since 2004 • 4036 Posts

trying to platinum Wipeout? Good Luck with that.

But I go for trophies that are fun to go for. Or games that regardless of how hard they may be, I enjoy playing it. I spent hours trying to beat Zico, and it wasn't at all frustrating. Still haven't beat him though :?

membership1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 membership1
Member since 2008 • 647 Posts
well i try to get trophies in anygames i buy but i just buy games that i like lol. and i like trophies cause they help to complete the game .
Sk8ter_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Sk8ter_213
Member since 2003 • 4573 Posts
I do it for something to do