so... what's the point of trophy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 0

#1 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

Is there any point to this?

or in future, will we be able to trade trophies for free PSN games?

What's the point of trophies anyway? Why try to make players waste their time playing games over again? Isn't that just bad for buisness as players will spend more time on games, especially if it is single player game which would halt online population.

Trophy would make more sense to me if you can trade them for PSN games and all the trophies offers relates to player playing the games online, so more people will populate online games which happens to be a problem in many PS3 games.

As of now, it looks like you just get some trophy and get this level thing up, which I find pointless and doesn't really have much of selling point.

zeriva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 zeriva
Member since 2007 • 4531 Posts
So... what's the point with Achievements?
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Bragging rights I guess.
Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts

Bragging rights I guess. Flame_Blade88

Yeah. I love them though :P.

psyum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 psyum
Member since 2006 • 3268 Posts

[QUOTE="Flame_Blade88"]Bragging rights I guess. theycallmeryan

me Likes too! besides is not a bad bussines, now u have a reason to replay the games, trophies are a way to give more to people for the same price i guess, now we have some challenges to accomplish :)

SollidSnake_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 SollidSnake_
Member since 2008 • 2991 Posts
its a reward system, Einstein.
CONMAN999PS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CONMAN999PS
Member since 2008 • 1163 Posts
[QUOTE="theycallmeryan"]

[QUOTE="Flame_Blade88"]Bragging rights I guess. psyum

me Likes too! besides is not a bad bussines, now u have a reason to replay the games, trophies are a way to give more to people for the same price i guess, now we have some challenges to accomplish :)

I know and one day I will have the most trophies EVER!!!

Xjner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Xjner
Member since 2008 • 409 Posts
Its all bragging rights thats all."hey i have less of a life than you do see i have 6000 trophies!" "Awww i wish i had no life"
kazamadevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kazamadevil
Member since 2008 • 328 Posts
So you can be like:"Im level 10 and youre not, take that *****" and it adds replay value to games, thats about it.
Avatar image for Meluckycharms12
Meluckycharms12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Meluckycharms12
Member since 2007 • 227 Posts
My dream is that when HOME is released, you will be able to decorate your appartment with platinum trophies you won for even more bragging rights. Cool game-related in-HOME T-Shirts and clothing would be cool, too.
sabru8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 sabru8
Member since 2003 • 4144 Posts

So... what's the point with Achievements?zeriva

Nice comment, I was thinking the exact same thing. They are all for show in the online world to show off what gaming feats you have achieved.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TriangleHard

[QUOTE="zeriva"]So... what's the point with Achievements?sabru8

Nice comment, I was thinking the exact same thing. They are all for show in the online world to show off what gaming feats you have achieved.

I thought achievements gives you points where you can use it to purchase downloadable games.

If not, seriously what's the point of both achievements and trophies? I just don't see anything it brings to make such a big fuss about it.

Avatar image for Nocturnal_Speed
Nocturnal_Speed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nocturnal_Speed
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

I have one more trophy then you... ;)

I sort of like it, because you actually accomplish just about everything in a video game, rather then just running through it. If you get every trophy in a single game, you pretty much completed 100% of it in terms of gameplay. Thats a big help to me since I try and get my money's worth (which I don't successed in :? most of the time), but it's a neat little installment that gives those hardcore trophy lovers something to do. Ive just completed Uncharted and I really missed that game...

When HOME comes out, im hoping you can show them off also, which Sony said atleast... Anyways im not complaining about something you can get for free right?? right?? :|

Right.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
Bragging rights right now but when Home releases Trophies will be intergrated into it for a bigger purpose I believe.
skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts

I agree with TC.

Getting trophies is a waste of time unless you can get some on the first play run.

shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts

its a reward system, Einstein.SollidSnake_

Thank you!

It's like asking, what's the point of receiving a diploma?

shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
Trophies will ad replay value for your games. It's the same with the achievement system with the 360. Usually, I would play a game once, but ever since the achievement system, I would play a second time on a harder difficulty. I do not do it for bragging rights (i only have a 5750 score), I do it for the challenge.
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TriangleHard

Trophies will ad replay value for your games. It's the same with the achievement system with the 360. Usually, I would play a game once, but ever since the achievement system, I would play a second time on a harder difficulty. I do not do it for bragging rights (i only have a 5750 score), I do it for the challenge.shaunchgo

How is it adding challenge for you? The game is still the same game.

Higher difficulty has always been avaliable to you. The largest number of combos also was avaliable to you without needing trophies to prove it.

If it is just for challenge, you don't need trophies.

I just find it pointles way to trick people into replaying the same game without adding any content. If there was significant rewards such as free downloadable games or contents, I would understand but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I simply don't see anything that significantly improves gaming experience for people to talk about it like it's something incredible and it's must have in gaming.

RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 RotaryRX7
Member since 2003 • 7184 Posts

[QUOTE="SollidSnake_"]its a reward system, Einstein.shaunchgo

Thank you!

Actually a diploma serves a bigger purpose than just a reward.

But yeah, it's a reward system, just for fun. The TC makes it sound like they're required "why do they make gamers waste their time..."

Last time I checked it was optional to care about trophies. If you don't care, then don't look at them.

Avatar image for Nocturnal_Speed
Nocturnal_Speed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nocturnal_Speed
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

[QUOTE="shaunchgo"]Trophies will ad replay value for your games. It's the same with the achievement system with the 360. Usually, I would play a game once, but ever since the achievement system, I would play a second time on a harder difficulty. I do not do it for bragging rights (i only have a 5750 score), I do it for the challenge.TriangleHard

Higher difficulty has always been avaliable to you. The largest number of combos also was avaliable to you without needing trophies to prove it.

I just find it pointles way to trick people into replaying the same game without adding any content. If there was significant rewards such as free downloadable games or contents, I would understand but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I simply don't see anything that significantly improves gaming experience for people to talk about it like it's something incredible and it's must have in gaming.

...and thats why we're all entitled to are opinion :lol:

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts

TriangleHard

His reference relates to games that have been patched to include the trophies post-gold.

I just find it pointles way to trick people into replaying the same game without adding any content. If there was significant rewards such as free downloadable games or contents, I would understand but that doesn't seem to be the case. TriangleHard

Why do you care what reasons people have to play their games? If you don't like them, don't participate in collecting them.

I simply don't see anything that significantly improves gaming experience for people to talk about it like it's something incredible and it's must have in gaming.TriangleHard

If you don't understand what right do you have to criticise?

RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RotaryRX7

[QUOTE="shaunchgo"]Trophies will ad replay value for your games. It's the same with the achievement system with the 360. Usually, I would play a game once, but ever since the achievement system, I would play a second time on a harder difficulty. I do not do it for bragging rights (i only have a 5750 score), I do it for the challenge.TriangleHard

It's kind of nice to see a visual representation of what you accomplished. Did you ever think of this?

Uncharted for example, already had it's own "trophy" system built in if you will.

When I first got the game back when it came out, I got all 1000 medal points eventually just for fun. Then, when trophies came out for it recently, I re-did it again just to have the visual representation of what I accomplished.

But again, why do you care so much? If you don't like them, then ignore them. Why ***** about something extra you have instead of complaining about what you don't have?

"Oh please Sony, don't give us extra features, we just want what is perfect for everyone, and not just appealing to some people's tastes" :roll:

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TriangleHard
[QUOTE="shaunchgo"]

[QUOTE="SollidSnake_"]its a reward system, Einstein.RotaryRX7

Thank you!

But yeah, it's a reward system, just for fun. The TC makes it sound like they're required "why do they make gamers waste their time..."

Last time I checked it was optional to care about trophies. If you don't care, then don't look at them.

Ok I guess i didn't say it right.

I'm NOT saying trophy is bad.

I just want to know why people treat this thing like it is significant thing. Is there something I missed? Is something else going to be added with trophy thing? Or just getting trophy itself is something that great?

I just want to understand why having trophy makes playing Uncharted once again so much fun, like it added something incredible.

To simply put, I feel like I missed something and I just want to know.

RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RotaryRX7
[QUOTE="RotaryRX7"][QUOTE="shaunchgo"]

[QUOTE="SollidSnake_"]its a reward system, Einstein.TriangleHard

Thank you!

I just want to know why people treat this thing like it is significant thing. Is there something I missed? Is something else going to be added with trophy thing? Or just getting trophy itself is something that great?

I'm going to make this simple:

Some dogs like to do tricks and get treats as a reward.

Some dogs just do tricks for the hell of it.

The trophy system is just adding a little extra for those who like to show something for their accomplishments.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TriangleHard

I'm going to make this simple:

Some dogs like to do tricks and get treats as a reward.

Some dogs just do tricks for the hell of it.

The trophy system is just adding a little extra for those who like to show something for their accomplishments.

RotaryRX7

Ok so it adds absolutely nothing and it does nothing.

so I'm not missing out anything for not trying to get trophy.

That's all I wanted to know.

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts

I just want to understand why having trophy makes playing Uncharted once again so much fun, like it added something incredible.

To simply put, I feel like I missed something and I just want to know.

TriangleHard

There is no tangible value for the trophies. You do not get money or games or discounts on groceries for getting trophies. You get trophies for the same reason you play games, the challenge, entertainment, and personal satisfaction.

filiwian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 filiwian
Member since 2007 • 2232 Posts
There just given you to for doing certain things. No one's forcing you to do them so why complain about them?
Avatar image for blackfridayrule
blackfridayrule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 blackfridayrule
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

bragging rights d00d

chili-sause

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 chili-sause
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
trophies are pointless even for braging rights because half the games don't even have them
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#30 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
It gives a bit more replayability. One someone finishes the game on the hardest difficulty level, having trophies is an incentive for people to run through and try to collect any they missed. eg: stunts in GTAIV, collecting relics in Uncharted.
rahul_rul210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rahul_rul210
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts
replay value
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
I hate them, I wish they take them off for good.....
M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#33 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

I like trophies in games. It gives you something extra to aim for during the game.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

artificially extending a games play time , but i dont care bout trophies i have too many games to play i cannot focus that much on one

campbell1874

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 campbell1874
Member since 2006 • 1920 Posts

[QUOTE="sabru8"]

[QUOTE="zeriva"]So... what's the point with Achievements?TriangleHard

I thought achievements gives you points where you can use it to purchase downloadable games.

If not, seriously what's the point of both achievements and trophies? I just don't see anything it brings to make such a big fuss about it.

MS in 2007 had rewards for reaching so many gamer points within atime frame. You would get gamer picture, Arcade games etc. I dont think they have done anything like thatrecently.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6165478.html?tag=result;title;1

I know of a couple of games out give you gamer pictures for getting a hard achievement. In Gear of War when you kill 10000 people you get the Serioulsy achievement and that give you a gamer picture.You can get more picture for achievement in that game but i cant remember which achievemts. More games should be like this.

For the most part you dont get anything for achievement and i dont think you get anything for trophies. I dont really care much about achievement or trophies but saying that i have found myself doing the stupid and fun ones like climb to the highest building in the game and jump off,kill someone while holding a grenade in your hand etc.

daveydag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 daveydag
Member since 2004 • 403 Posts
many ppl have said it but going to say it in a slightly different way. "trophies have as much point as you posting this topic. none or watever u want to make out of it."
SuperMario254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SuperMario254
Member since 2003 • 2897 Posts
I couldn't care less for them myself... but I will admit, I love the sound of the *ding* when you get one... I need to find that and use it on my cell phone :D
shhbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 shhbob
Member since 2008 • 1035 Posts

I like trophies in games. It gives you something extra to aim for during the game.

M0wen10

yeah i also think this...

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

What's the point of trophies anyway? Why try to make players waste their time playing games over again? Isn't that just bad for buisness as players will spend more time on games, especially if it is single player game which would halt online population.

Trophy would make more sense to me if you can trade them for PSN games and all the trophies offers relates to player playing the games online, so more people will populate online games which happens to be a problem in many PS3 games.

As of now, it looks like you just get some trophy and get this level thing up, which I find pointless and doesn't really have much of selling point.

TriangleHard

Trophies are like experience points for gaming. They show how many games you've played, the progress you've made, and how you've met certain goals/challenges set forward by the developers. You then have the opportunity to compare your collection/level with other gamers.

Even if you don't care about the comparison part, trophies also give you additional challenges or goals to accomplish in the game which adds to replayability.

THe collection and comparison IS the selling point and WHY people like it. The same reason 360 fans like achievements. It ads to replayability and offers a new challenge to gamers.

Atmanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Atmanix
Member since 2009 • 6927 Posts

They give me a sense of accomplishment and add replay value to games or challenges to games that I wouldn't normally do. Bioshock on survivor without vita-chambers for instance.

j5r9s2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#41 j5r9s2
Member since 2008 • 998 Posts

they give me a diff perspective of playing

NaughtyRag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NaughtyRag
Member since 2009 • 2309 Posts

The point of trophies is to have fun achieving them.. Now some people decided they didn't want to get them so they are "stupid and ruin games".. While others are competitive and get games that they would never play normally but get for easy trophies..

There are a few people like myself who get games they would get anyways, and love getting trophies..

However there are a few people that their trophy obsession has clouded their views.. meaning will not get games like MGS4 or VC because there is no trophy support. But why do we care about other gamers habits?

The point being get them if you want, if not then don't.. but don't complain.. they do nothing, everyone knows this.. Who cares..

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

I just find it pointles way to trick people into replaying the same game without adding any content.

TriangleHard

LOL what a joke. trophies trick people into replaying the game? I think trophies give players an incentive to replay a game. If they're replaying the game for trophies, I highly doubt they're being tricked into replaying it. It was their choice to do so.

Thanks for the good laugh tho.

hancookX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hancookX
Member since 2003 • 2090 Posts

[QUOTE="TriangleHard"]

I just find it pointles way to trick people into replaying the same game without adding any content.

Some-Mist

LOL what a joke. trophies trick people into replaying the game? I think trophies give players an incentive to replay a game. If they're replaying the game for trophies, I highly doubt they're being tricked into replaying it. It was their choice to do so.

Thanks for the good laugh tho.

Really late reply (by a year) for something that I found by pure chance but i just couldn't walk away from such dumbassery.

....you must be joking. You think you proved someone wrong but you just showed how **** dumb you are. You've just been tricked to replay the game. That's what tricking people means. Making them think they're doing something on their own intentions when it doesn't. "Thanks for the good laugh?" What you don't need is a laugh. You need to go back to school and hit the books because anyone who read your post will know you're dumber than a doorknob.

scar-hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#45 scar-hawk
Member since 2008 • 5404 Posts
As scared as I am of hancookX, I do not think that trophies trick people into replaying a game. And no I'm not a giant trophy hoarder. I'm only Level 5.
3lliott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 3lliott
Member since 2009 • 166 Posts

Hearing that satisfying 'Ping' sound. :lol:

jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts
Bragging rights and offer replays value. Normaly when i finish a game, unless it has good multiplayer, i don't go back to it and find me a new game. But with trophies i play my games longer.
gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

TriangleHard
Your just now realizing this? There is no point, besides having a gaming history, which I really like. Example- I'm about to get all golds in Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit. I will have a gold trophey for this, in a few years I will have forgotten about it, but it will always be there on my trophey list.