Should Sony allow M$ to have a blu ray add on?

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

redskins2156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 redskins2156
Member since 2007 • 2553 Posts
Should Sony allow M$ to have a blu ray add on?
redskins2156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 redskins2156
for the 360. (sorry I left that last part out)
l8bitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 l8bitz
Member since 2004 • 3251 Posts
System Wars
IG_Pug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 IG_Pug
Member since 2007 • 144 Posts
If they make a version of GEARS of WAR and Bioshock for the PS3.
redskins2156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 redskins2156
I don't think this belongs in system wars. This question is for ps3 owners.
System Warsl8bitz
supreuph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 supreuph
Member since 2007 • 654 Posts
They should. Just because their system is one dimensional doesn't mean that they shouldn't be able to watch HD movies (on disc). This will be inevitable because sony is gonna get paid whether it's from more PS3s sold because of Bluray playback, or because of MS paying for it. This kind of stuff happens all the time. We forget that Sony has a personal stake in BD's success. It's not just about gaming systems anymore. The more they sell, the better off they are. They should wait until the "I'll buy a PS3 because it plays bluray" surge dies down and then let MS use it.
battleboi333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 battleboi333
Member since 2006 • 1042 Posts
I don't really care about the 360 so ill just put yes :)
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
I don't know to tell you the truth. There are a lot of 360 owners out there and if they come out with an add-on for bluray, that might stop potential PS3 buyers.
battleboi333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 battleboi333
Member since 2006 • 1042 Posts
Whats are the chances of that?
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts

Whats are the chances of that?battleboi333

Think about it, take for example someone with only a 360, but wants a bluray player. The PS3 is the best one. People would go for that, I know a few people who just bought a PS3 for bluray since it's cheaper and plays better than normal bluray players. If you release an add-on, that person would just buy that instead.

somesthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 somesthetic
Member since 2004 • 3344 Posts

sony doesn't own blu-ray!

sony co-developed the technology and formed the blu-ray disc association, but they do not have the sole say in what happens with blu-ray, nor are they they only company that gains from it.

the world exists beyond sony versus microsoft, so move on, forget about it, get a life.

ThisCurse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 ThisCurse
Member since 2007 • 1258 Posts

Sony owns the largest share of Blu-Ray, so yeah, it is thier call.

And why not let MS send money over Sony's way while groveling to be able to have another ugly little add-on box for the 360? Sounds reasonable to me.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
I can't find the "this thread is going to be locked" option in the poll... only "yes" and "no"
IppotheFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 IppotheFighter
Member since 2005 • 1007 Posts
Actually they should let them have it, its a slap in the face to microsoft.
woofie13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 woofie13
Member since 2007 • 841 Posts
It doesn't really matter, it wouldn't be able to run bluray games anyway... only movies
buyers of it would get ripped off.
ThisCurse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ThisCurse
Member since 2007 • 1258 Posts

It doesn't really matter, it wouldn't be able to run bluray games anyway... only movies
buyers of it would get ripped off.woofie13

Microsoft customers are alrady used to that.

sieudaochich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sieudaochich
Member since 2004 • 1002 Posts
4x BluRay internal for Xbox360 will kill off PS3 in 1 years. Whoa, how can Sony be more stupid if they let M$ gets Blu Ray
woofie13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 woofie13
Member since 2007 • 841 Posts
4x BluRay internal for Xbox360 will kill off PS3 in 1 years. Whoa, how can Sony be more stupid if they let M$ gets Blu Raysieudaochich

they'd still be screwing over their current fanbase.
4x internal would be so sweet though!
jacksik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jacksik
Member since 2007 • 619 Posts

Sony invented it so they should keep it

Finders keepers losers weepers.But i couldnt care less if sony sold it or something to microsft

steve4200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 steve4200
Member since 2007 • 387 Posts
either way sony will benifit from this...if they dont let microsoft have it then later down the road they will get more devs and exclusives titles for ps3 that equals more money for them and potentially more ps3 owners...if they do let microsoft have it then sony will be getting paid by thier biggest rival...i mean in the buisness world whats better then that? i mean really...to have ur biggest rival paying YOU...its good for sony either way...thier best bet in my personal opinon would be to let microsoft scwerm for a year or two...pick up a couple devs and a nice chunk and exclusives...then let them have it...either way sony will come out on top...they have statisticlly been the number one company in the gaming industry for the past 15 or 16 years straight...nothing will stop them...even if sony lets them have it sony will still be picking up more devs and exclusives then MS simply because of the power of ps3...i mean really u think anyones gonna go buy a xbox360 for like $400 when they know a new xbox will be out in what? 2 or 3 years? might as well buy a ps3 which u know will last u a minimum of 5 yrs
Creeping_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Creeping_Wolf
Member since 2006 • 3399 Posts
The Blu-Ray Disc Association, which is a conglomerate of nine companies, would decide this....not Sony.
IppotheFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 IppotheFighter
Member since 2005 • 1007 Posts
^^ which sony is a part of.
Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts
lol, M$ is still hoping for their next console to be completely DL based :lol:
lyndonAPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lyndonAPI
Member since 2002 • 2794 Posts

Should Sony allow M$ to have a blu ray add on?redskins2156

If they did make one (and it's likely they will) it would be just like the HD-DVD add on- movies only, not for games. There would be no "unfair advantage" and it would be another sales source for Blu-Ray movies.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 swamplord666
Member since 2007 • 1873 Posts
btw remember that the bluray drive is what inflated the price of the ps3(that and the cell chip i believe). Therefore add on 1 or 2 hundred dollars on top of the Xbox360. Also if people want a cheap standalone BR, I think the average consumer wants something that is reliable so until they repair those problems with the 360, There is no competition. Plus for Sony... royalties = kaching$$$
Scubei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Scubei
Member since 2004 • 212 Posts

They should. Just because their system is one dimensional doesn't mean that they shouldn't be able to watch HD movies (on disc). This will be inevitable because sony is gonna get paid whether it's from more PS3s sold because of Bluray playback, or because of MS paying for it. This kind of stuff happens all the time. We forget that Sony has a personal stake in BD's success. It's not just about gaming systems anymore. The more they sell, the better off they are. They should wait until the "I'll buy a PS3 because it plays bluray" surge dies down and then let MS use it.supreuph

i agree

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

ya i think they should

maybe it would make M$ a little more humble? either way its just a format wat really matters is the games we got right?

jobot_5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jobot_5000
Member since 2006 • 829 Posts
Only if microsoft gives sony Ninja Gaiden 2.
vladimir16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 vladimir16
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
all the ps3 owners who agree with letting blue ray on 360 are **** traitors, im not going to help out those losers (X-Box Fanboys).
jyoung312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 jyoung312
Member since 2003 • 4971 Posts

Only if they can get something really really good out of it. Perhaps if they get a previously exclusive game to come over or if they force MS to charge so much for it that it makes the ps3 cheaper and more valuable. Sure they will get some royalties but they need to stick it to MS where it hurts.

If we can see Bioshock and Mass Effect, at least their sequels on ps3, AND MS has to do it as an add-on that they have to charge $200-$300 (basically can't be internal) then I would accept them into BDA. That would really make MS screw their own customers, not that they dont do it already ($50/ yr live, $100 wifi, $180 for 120gb hdd, no standard hdd, hd-dvd, rrod, disk scratching, live drops, charging for gamer pics, forcing developers to charge for dlc they wanted to release for free, no mod support so that they can charge for dlc, MS points, ah you get the point), which might make more come over to ps3. If not I'd let them rot until they come begging for the technology for their next console.

Avatar image for SentryGunner411
SentryGunner411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SentryGunner411
Member since 2007 • 1047 Posts

Everyone should be able to own, sell, and rejoice in the glory of blu-ray technology. :D

dru26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dru26
Member since 2005 • 5505 Posts
Should MS allow Sony to use Windows? These companies want money, they could care less about their small potatoe video game divisions.
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

I'm saying they should simply because the more Blu-Ray players there are out there, the better it is for Sony's Blu-Ray division and therefore Sony as a whole. Ok so it might deter some PS3 buyers who already have a 360, but those who don't will be able to get a PS3 for cheaper than a 360 and a Blu-Ray add-on, so new buyers for Blu-Ray would more than likely go with PS3.

hermes200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hermes200
Member since 2003 • 1627 Posts

all the ps3 owners who agree with letting blue ray on 360 are **** traitors, im not going to help out those losers (X-Box Fanboys).vladimir16
Give me a break... you are talking like this was a real war or something. Get a life, see the world and stop whining, little boy.

I don't think Sony will leave them have it right away, but they eventually will. Now that the whole "HD-DVD vs BD" thing is over, the conglomerate will need all the players they can develop to make them cheaper, and to overthrone the real king of movie disks today: DVD.

ajefferism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ajefferism
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts
I think it'll make the PS3 look like an even better deal. You can get a PS3 for $399 that has HD movies, wireless and a bigger hard drive. Or you can get a 360 Pro for $349 and then spend another $150-200 for Blu ray, then another $100 for wireless which equals $649 tops. Ummm thats a big difference.... They should totally let 360 make a blu ray add on.
Avatar image for deactivated-60bf88018a126
deactivated-60bf88018a126

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-60bf88018a126
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I think they shoiuld be allowed, but Sony definately needs to get their playstation owners something, like more exclusives that 360 owners wont get or even just plan to charge microsoft more so they can develop more games for the PS3
SpectralRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SpectralRave
Member since 2002 • 362 Posts

In before the possible lock... I think that Sony should not allow it. Do you think that M$ would have given up HDDVD if Blu-Ray tanked? Hell no! they would have ridden that pony over Sony (Hey! I'm a poet and i know it) till it dropped dead of old age. However, I think Sony is a more matured company than its competitor. M$ will throw an oil tanker full of money at the problem. If Sony does allow it, they will ask that the X360 machine will not be manufactured with built-in Blu-ray capabilities. They will allow add on hardware like the current HDDVD player. They will ask M$ to stop paying off manufactures for downgrading PS3 versions of the respective games. Gears of War 2 will be cross platform. Dogs and cats living together... Who am I kidding

Peace in the Middle East ^_^v

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts
Yes afcourse they should allow 360's to run blueray movies.This will promote the sale of blueray movies everywhere.

M$ wont be able to use it for games anyway just like they did not make any games on HD-DVD format there is no downside to this

boostud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 boostud
Member since 2004 • 1242 Posts
Its going to do nothing but boost sales of Blu-Ray. It may hurt sales of PS3, but what did they expect? The PS3 to be the only available Blu-Ray player available? If thats their plan, they are morons at corporate sony. If they want the format to be succesful, they need to get it to the masses through every means possible. Cheaper stand alone players, add on player for the 360, etc.
lyndonAPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lyndonAPI

all the ps3 owners who agree with letting blue ray on 360 are **** traitors, im not going to help out those losers (X-Box Fanboys).vladimir16

Seriously, grow up. Did you miss the part where it would be for movies only and be an external add-on like their HD-DVD attachment was?

caradeperro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 caradeperro1
Member since 2007 • 606 Posts

I agree with you, M$ takes every chance they can to hurt the PS3 stealing DLC (like on GTA IV) or exclusives.

and why does some ppl use that "get a life" bs like they have one :lol:

donwon06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 donwon06
Member since 2006 • 424 Posts

sony doesn't own blu-ray!

sony co-developed the technology and formed the blu-ray disc association, but they do not have the sole say in what happens with blu-ray, nor are they they only company that gains from it.

the world exists beyond sony versus microsoft, so move on, forget about it, get a life.

somesthetic

thank you! someone that know what they're talking about. Sony is in the Blu-ray disc association. They are not the only ones that would benefit from this.

lyndonAPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lyndonAPI

[QUOTE="vladimir16"]all the ps3 owners who agree with letting blue ray on 360 are **** traitors, im not going to help out those losers (X-Box Fanboys).caradeperro1

I agree with you, M$ takes every chance they can to hurt the PS3 stealing DLC (like on GTA IV) or exclusives.

and why does some ppl use that "get a life" bs like they have one :lol:

Ok, how about "get a clue" instead? Letting them have the attachment would do nothing to the PS3- that's like saying don't let Samsung make and market stand alone Blu-Ray players.

hcho3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hcho3
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts
If I were sony, I would demnad microsoft to add blu-ray drive bulit into every xbox 360 from now on. No freaking add on. You backed up my nemesis, HD-DVD. Either you pay for 100 dollars per every Drive you sell, there is no deal.
alexbhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 alexbhp
Member since 2007 • 322 Posts

They should. Just because their system is one dimensional doesn't mean that they shouldn't be able to watch HD movies (on disc). This will be inevitable because sony is gonna get paid whether it's from more PS3s sold because of Bluray playback, or because of MS paying for it. This kind of stuff happens all the time. We forget that Sony has a personal stake in BD's success. It's not just about gaming systems anymore. The more they sell, the better off they are. They should wait until the "I'll buy a PS3 because it plays bluray" surge dies down and then let MS use it.supreuph

I completely disagree with you, now the Bluray war is won, they can force it to win the console war. What will end up happening is that 360 owners will buy a BD player, and the games will start to get bigger than 9GB and DVDs will not be able to hold it. And the PS3 will have an edge on the 360. I bet Sony wants to see this happening.

Sony may give rights to the 360, but I'm sure they will make MS suffer a little bit on the console war.

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 mazing87
Member since 2004 • 3881 Posts

With all the arrogant 360 owners that bashed on us PS3 owners over the last couple of years, the obvious bias against PS3 game reviews here, the amount of 360 content that has flooded this site, and let's not forget the inferior ports that were made for the PS3 when the 360 was the main developing console, I'd say "Hell no." Or, be like EA (NFL license), and have them wait 5 years before adding the blu-ray players.

either way sony will benifit from this...if they dont let microsoft have it then later down the road they will get more devs and exclusives titles for ps3 that equals more money for them and potentially more ps3 owners...if they do let microsoft have it then sony will be getting paid by thier biggest rival...i mean in the buisness world whats better then that? i mean really...to have ur biggest rival paying YOU...its good for sony either way...thier best bet in my personal opinon would be to let microsoft scwerm for a year or two...pick up a couple devs and a nice chunk and exclusives...then let them have it...either way sony will come out on top...they have statisticlly been the number one company in the gaming industry for the past 15 or 16 years straight...nothing will stop them...even if sony lets them have it sony will still be picking up more devs and exclusives then MS simply because of the power of ps3...i mean really u think anyones gonna go buy a xbox360 for like $400 when they know a new xbox will be out in what? 2 or 3 years? might as well buy a ps3 which u know will last u a minimum of 5 yrssteve4200

Gesyma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Gesyma
Member since 2003 • 1082 Posts
If Sony likes making money then yes they should. Why would they not want other companies to be dependent on their technology. Some of you fanboys are completely stupid. (or maybe you're just children) in which case... we'll forgive you for not looking at the bigger picture.
Slam-Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Slam-Master
Member since 2005 • 653 Posts
MS dont want it anyway, also sony does have influence over blue ray >> link >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association
cebcubs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 cebcubs1
Member since 2008 • 295 Posts

... Do you think that M$ would have given up HDDVD if Blu-Ray tanked? Hell no! they would have ridden that pony over Sony (Hey! I'm a poet and i know it) till it dropped dead of old age...

SpectralRave

I agree with your point that M$ would have screwed Sony given the chance, but they wouldn't have been able to since HDDVD was Toshiba, not M$.