"No Russian", MW2 Were you moved by it? Spoiler!

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SiKh22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SiKh22
Member since 2006 • 4661 Posts

I'm going to be honest I avoided most of the press and blogs about the scene not to get spoiled. I replayed it and have the same exact feeling as I did the first time playing a while back, it didn't pull me in. Not one person in the airport really begged for their life, though its a scripted event it was done to me as a this will shock you moment. You pull back and say its a video game, when stuff like this happens in real life then its very sad and depressing, the scene or the way it was played isn't up to par for something like Heavy Rain or GOW III. The scene moved the story along but it made think, "really, this is what your going to use to advance the story?" The scene could have been done through the airport camera's and the footage goes third person watching them in different camera's during the loading cut scene briefing update. They nailed the DC part but the airport a little cheap shot for press to stir buzz.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

I wasn't moved, but I was impressed by the brass balls that IW had doing that and facing the press about it.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

Not moved... just apathetic, I suppose.

However, I still didn't shoot anyone.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

I don't have this game. But I don't know where this whole "false morality" BS comes from. It's a game about shooting people. I just don't see how shooting people of middle eastern decent is better and more "justified" than shooting "white americans".

If it's a game about war, both sides should be shown. There is no "good guy" or "bad guy". Be it reality or video games, it's all grey area. I just hate this self righteous BS...

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

I don't have this game. But I don't know where this whole "false morality" BS comes from. It's a game about shooting people. I just don't see how shooting people of middle eastern decent is better and more "justified" than shooting "white americans".

If it's a game about war, both sides should be shown. There is no "good guy" or "bad guy". Be it reality or video games, it's all grey area. I just hate this self righteous BS...

Denji
Where the issue came in here Denji is that the people in this mission are unarmed civilians that you are able to shoot, not an enemy attempting to take your life as well. I hope the same backlash would be present if the mission was filled with all middle eastern civilians as well.
WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts

It didn't move me at all really, it just shocked me for a few seconds and then I proceeded shooting the *BLEEP* outta everyone.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Denji

[QUOTE="Denji"]

The_Rick_14

Where the issue came in here Denji is that the people in this mission are unarmed civilians that you are able to shoot, not an enemy attempting to take your life as well. I hope the same backlash would be present if the mission was filled with all middle eastern civilians as well.

I doubt it. What they try to push is the fact "they can be anywhere" or "can't tell the difference" on all forms of media. Put that in front of anybody and they automatically think "bad guy, shoot!" just by look alone. Nobody would have any problem shooting what they consider "the bad guy" (moreless anyone different from them) no matter if they're armed or not.

I rememeber when those middle eastern countries publicly displayed that they had games where they were fighting armed american soldiers. People got real pissy about that and how "evil" and "wrong" it was. I say it's a load of crap.

hanslacher54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hanslacher54
Member since 2007 • 3659 Posts

Nah

Now Heavy Rain, that moved me!!!

Foxh0und666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Foxh0und666
Member since 2008 • 479 Posts

Yeah I couldn't care less really. I walked in, saw some dudes, shot them, went on with my life.

Avatar image for masterpinky2000
masterpinky2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#10 masterpinky2000
Member since 2004 • 1955 Posts
I wasn't particularly moved by the level, no. It is also the kick-off to the game's particularly absurd plotline -- is Russia really going to start the third World War over a terrorist attack in an airport when the linkage to the United States is the body of a single American? You don't think there's a diplomatic resolution to the matter, i.e. the Russians ask, "WTF?" and the Americans apologize and explain, crisis averted?
Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

I flashbanged one of my fellow terrorists and they shot me :(

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
shooting people in MW2 feels like shooting paper if Killzone 2 had a same mission, i would have been disgusted by it, but MW2 just isnt realistic shooting.
Avatar image for Ultrabeatdown55
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ultrabeatdown55
Member since 2008 • 15314 Posts

Didn't care for it. Its a damn video game.

brylram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 brylram
Member since 2006 • 48 Posts

Where the issue came in here Denji is that the people in this mission are unarmed civilians that you are able to shoot, not an enemy attempting to take your life as well. I hope the same backlash would be present if the mission was filled with all middle eastern civilians as well.The_Rick_14

Which is a load of crap, because I look up at my ps3 games and I see 4 games where you can definitely kill unarmed civilians... and that's JUST my ps3 games, there are tons more out there. The level didn't bother me at all because there was absolutely nothing different about it than a lot of other games, except maybe the amount of people readily available to shoot (no checking the next side street because everyone is either dead or ran away), and the fact that in games like GTA it actually gets fun because more and more cops come to stop you. It was just boring.

TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheEldestGod
Member since 2010 • 4142 Posts
The only thing that bothered me about this mission is how often I ran out of ammo vs how long it took to reload that crap gun they gave me. I think Makarov killed more rent-a-cops than I did. :(
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Nah, but I still didn't shoot anyone.
Blackbase88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Blackbase88
Member since 2009 • 265 Posts

I was suprised but was'nt shocked also impressed by Infinity for making this lvl. They've got some balls.

lloveLamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lloveLamp
Member since 2009 • 2891 Posts
meh, seriously its hard to get that immersed in a call of duty game. its fine that they wanted to try something different but im not gonna give them credit for anything more than that
muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

I wasnt moved by it, you had to shoot to fit in and so you wouldnt blow your cover.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 supa_badman
I wasn't particularly moved by the level, no. It is also the kick-off to the game's particularly absurd plotline -- is Russia really going to start the third World War over a terrorist attack in an airport when the linkage to the United States is the body of a single American? You don't think there's a diplomatic resolution to the matter, i.e. the Russians ask, "WTF?" and the Americans apologize and explain, crisis averted?masterpinky2000
And all the NATO weapons and bullets all over the ground?? Also I WISH politics was that easy.
MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

It gave me chills. Didn't like the forced slow walking. Didn't shoot anyone.

-Hoax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 -Hoax-
Member since 2008 • 5331 Posts
I thought it was boring. I did it twice once doing nothing and once shooting to see if the outcome changed.
Doomtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Doomtime
Member since 2004 • 4282 Posts
I shot as many people as I could, even when they were trying to crawl away. Needed a little variety in this thread.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Didn't move me much but I can understand why the media didn't like it, Most of the shoot-outs in schools have been pinned as GTA or video games in general's fault by media. When you toss in a scene where such a shoot-out occurs in a game then of course it's going to cause a ruckus with the media.
Xorital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Xorital
Member since 2005 • 926 Posts

I shot up the whole airport and didnt care who saw me do it heeeehawwwww

IPWNDU2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 IPWNDU2
Member since 2006 • 2535 Posts

I shot and knifed every civillian that I could. But no it really didn't move me at all.

Solori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28 Solori
Member since 2007 • 462 Posts

It just wasn't immersive enough. You suddenly find yourself as this character who has infiltrated a terrorist group. You don't have any connection to the character. You have almost no backstory on him. He has no voice of his own. You have no real reason to care for him. Worst of all, you have no way to affect anything that is going on in the scene. It doesn't matter if you kill everyone in sight or if you just tag along with the terrorists with your gun holstered.

There is absolutely nothing in that sequence that draws the player in to the experience. It's simply a movie that you can walk around in. But it doesn't have the same impact as a movie because the characters are just cardboard cutouts.

At least in GTA you have an in-game reason to kill civilians (they give money plus they are irritating) and killing them does affect the gameplay (civilians will fight you and if you kill enough of them you can get into an epic police battle/chase.) In contrast, the No Russian sequence just felt pointless and a waste of time.

yoda4ps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 yoda4ps3
Member since 2009 • 678 Posts

I'm going to be honest I avoided most of the press and blogs about the scene not to get spoiled. I replayed it and have the same exact feeling as I did the first time playing a while back, it didn't pull me in. Not one person in the airport really begged for their life, though its a scripted event it was done to me as a this will shock you moment. You pull back and say its a video game, when stuff like this happens in real life then its very sad and depressing, the scene or the way it was played isn't up to par for something like Heavy Rain or GOW III. The scene moved the story along but it made think, "really, this is what your going to use to advance the story?" The scene could have been done through the airport camera's and the footage goes third person watching them in different camera's during the loading cut scene briefing update. They nailed the DC part but the airport a little cheap shot for press to stir buzz.

SiKh22

I agree, if you're going to do something that will start a huge buzz in the media, at least give it an emotional realistic feel.

tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tommyas
Member since 2007 • 2594 Posts
Is it just me or did that particular level include much more blood and gore than any other? I think that that level was created only for its controversy, to get some extra attention (is that even possible?) from the media. In other words, to boost up sales even more (like if that ultra hype wasnt enough). It felt like taken from a different game. And to finaly answer the question, no, it didnt move me. It was surprising but nothing else. This sort of game cant be realy emotional imo. When Makarov shot me i was like "Whatever". And i usualy tend to be moved by games. A lot. I was realy very moved by Heavy Rain even after playing it two times. There i realy cared about characters.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
sad thing is, that game is going to be the target of the anti-video game advocates(aka hillary clinton) because of that scene.
kiwisama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kiwisama
Member since 2006 • 563 Posts

Not at all, and was i supposed to feel something when washington was invaded? Anywho, i balme the bad storytelling (i had to research the internet to understand the plot).

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

I was surprised at first but stopped caring after a while.

juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts
[QUOTE="Denji"]

That's Call of Duty for you. It paints a very black and white, one-sided image in nearly everything it does. The CEO of the company (Robert Kotick) is a little psycho and only obsesses over money and nothing else. It's fine to want money, everyone does, but he really takes it to a whole new level.
dan_gerous87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dan_gerous87
Member since 2007 • 785 Posts

Yeah kind've. I certainly wasn't offended by it, & I did partake in the shooting, but after watching all the horror for a moment I felt like "wow this is wrong" & imagined if it was real life. It's definitelty more moving than killing innocents in GTA. When GTA people scream & die it's just comical hehe.

cosmicwave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 cosmicwave
Member since 2005 • 1237 Posts

nope, didn't care or got moved by it. i didn't even left the ones crawling to safety.

Keir21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#37 Keir21
Member since 2006 • 5918 Posts
Didn't move me at all. However, the scene loses all meaning once you see your bestfriend tea bagging a victim as they crawled away.
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Denji

[QUOTE="Denji"]

juden41

That's Call of Duty for you. It paints a very black and white, one-sided image in nearly everything it does. The CEO of the company (Robert Kotick) is a little psycho and only obsesses over money and nothing else. It's fine to want money, everyone does, but he really takes it to a whole new level.

Oh, I know about the likes of him. That's why games are poorly constructed and "pushed out". I fell for that with COD4, never again...

But I'm talking about the general public reaction. Which is rather hypocritical..

Mushrooom_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Mushrooom_Man
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts

I didn't get all emotional about it . . . and even if this were to happen they (The terriosts.) would probably be stopped in the elevator as it was moving.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 supa_badman

I laughed because it was such a terrible level. Any atmosphere it did have was ruined when you see the russians feet going through the dead civs bodies. That and the level itself was boring as hell, shooting people that don't put up a fight isn't fun, it doesn't feel rewarding or satisfying.

Altiar25
Don't think the level was supposed to be rewarding or satisfying... As a matter of fact I think you missed the point of the level.
Mar044

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Mar044
Member since 2006 • 1357 Posts

nah I had no problems, alittle insensed by the mass wholsale execution of the mass of people but I limited my shooting to the police personal. I actually thought about it and CIA was at airport so they cant wash hands to what happened and why the attacks later on happened, but ya be sad if I had to get a flight at that airport

on a side not besides police, did have fun shooting glass, tv, and airplane engines until they catch fire and explode :) (after the first plane you set engine on fire and shoot the chopper overhead down.

Coolboy420x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Coolboy420x
Member since 2004 • 2235 Posts
[QUOTE="Altiar25"]

I laughed because it was such a terrible level. Any atmosphere it did have was ruined when you see the russians feet going through the dead civs bodies. That and the level itself was boring as hell, shooting people that don't put up a fight isn't fun, it doesn't feel rewarding or satisfying.

supa_badman
Don't think the level was supposed to be rewarding or satisfying... As a matter of fact I think you missed the point of the level.

I think you missed the point of his comment... Im pretty sure he meant rewarding or satisfying in terms of gameplay or having fun playing the game in general. I could be wrong though lolsss...
Grr117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Grr117
Member since 2010 • 68 Posts

i thought it was the most fun level in any FPS games.

i killed every single person i saw on that level. No one survived the terror i unleashed.

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#44 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

Anybody who has been moved by MW2's storyline must not play very many games.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
I thought it was so stupid. I wasn't offended by it at all but it felt so lame. Why couldn't the spy guy that you play as shoot the terrorists in the back? Yeah he might die but I think that's worth it considering he'd save most if not all of the civilians. I admire that they tried to get some shock value even if it wasn't done all that well.
Mitten123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 Mitten123
Member since 2008 • 402 Posts

I was dissapointed for not getting a trophy for not shooting a civilian...thats about how moved I got

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
I understand it's placement in the game and I wasn't entirely offended by it. I think that it would have a bigger impact on people as opposed to GoW III like you mentioned because it is a lot more real and can very well happen at any point in time anywhere in the world. For example, have you ever heard of the terrorist attack on Mumbai in '08? Over 150 people died. Guys just went into a train station guns blazing mowing down whoever was in their path. And that's just one location some of the terrorists hit up. There was a very good documentary on it called "Terror in Mumbai". Horrific story of young people (well in their 20's or around there) that were taken advantage of due to their gullible nature. They were promised to go to heaven and such for doing all of what they did, just awful stuff. Also, in reference to the CoD scene, you can actually see people wounded and crawling away, trying to get to safety.
A-l-g-r-e-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 A-l-g-r-e-n
Member since 2007 • 649 Posts

Actually, yes I was. Some people actually confuse the meaning of getting moved emotionally with getting emotionally touched to the point of crying. I was actually pissed off at Makarov and tried to kill him and his squad several times (which, obviously, a trained CIA agent would be able to pull off if attacking them from behind while they reloaded). I aactually tried and tried, and it touched me so deeply I was ACTUALLY ANGRY AT A VIDEOGAME CHARACTER. So, yeah. Pretty moved.

HaLoMaStErJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 HaLoMaStErJT
Member since 2008 • 1380 Posts

It did not shock me at all I just played it like any other game

1bigsmoke55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 1bigsmoke55
Member since 2007 • 6856 Posts

As Shepherd Said, Same ****, Different Day.