PSP are they any good

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shottohell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 shottohell
Member since 2008 • 35 Posts

I,m thinking of buying a psp and need some advice as i,m a PS3 person that wants a platform i can take on holiday, connect to a tv to watch films through and go on line, the simple question is, are they any good and worth having. ??

jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts
Do you really need to ask this question? Just look around a little bit and it's obvious that quite a few people think they are "worth having." Yes, it is a nice little system with some good games and a lot of nice features.
shottohell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 shottohell
Member since 2008 • 35 Posts

but... whats it like for web browsing, watching films through it when connected to your tv and games quality, and what model is best?

jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts

but... whats it like for web browsing, watching films through it when connected to your tv and games quality, and what model is best?

shottohell
Web browsing is kind of awkward... about as cumbersome as it is on the PS3, but without the keyboard option. I've never hooked it up to a TV, but I assume that PSP resolution movies will look OK, if a bit low quality on a TV (further depends on what TV--HD or not--you're playing it on). I believe that only the PSP 3000 can output to non-HD displays. The PSP 3000 is the "best" and newest iteration. The only ones who will tell you different are those that are hacking the system, or those that have PSP 2000 and are bitter over the minor upgrade they can't rationalize purchasing. The 3000 has double the refresh rate--so no ghosting--and a much more vibrant screen. There are a lot of good games available--4 or so years worth of games. Graphics range from PS1-esque to approaching the better looking games on the PS2--all very pretty and impressive on the handheld.
cferro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cferro
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
psps are very good. i have had a few and every time i either lose it or sell it i always find a reason to buy another one.

seeing as you are going on holiday you have to buy the psp 3000 because in sunlight you can't see the screen at all on the old models because of the glare.

however on the 3000 models they made the screen less glarey.

also there are so many games to choose from and with no region locks on any games your choice for games is endless (well not quite)

the internet is a bit slow and clunky but the novelty of internet on you psp is cool and can be quite handy if you can't get to a computer.

i've never connected my psp to a tv but i have connected my psp to mt ps3 which is cool.
i don't think your be disappointed if you bought a psp like all consoles its the games that make the consoles and when you find a really good game you won't put it down and because its portable you can carry it about to the toilet or on the bus.

Kill_My_Self

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kill_My_Self
Member since 2009 • 578 Posts
yes yes yes it is u should see my games i have like 20
motherboop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 motherboop
Member since 2007 • 2382 Posts
I love mine, I always put mine down for a month or two here and there, and come back in full force playing it.
FlashCharge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 FlashCharge
Member since 2007 • 2239 Posts
I really enjoy the psp 2000 that I own and find that the sound and graphics are great. The only downside that most gamers have with it is its library of new releases. With the psp how having 50 million units sold, maybe Sony will pay more attention to producing more quality games for it. But on the whole, it is one quality handheld. If you are new to the psp there are a lot of quality games you can now buy and play that are now much lower in price.
motherboop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 motherboop
Member since 2007 • 2382 Posts
I really enjoy the psp 2000 that I own and find that the sound and graphics are great. The only downside that most gamers have with it is its library of new releases. With the psp how having 50 million units sold, maybe Sony will pay more attention to producing more quality games for it. But on the whole, it is one quality handheld. If you are new to the psp there are a lot of quality games you can now buy and play that are now much lower in price.FlashCharge
Yeah, there definitely aren't as many new releases coming out at the moment, but I'm really glad there's already so many quality titles out for the system. I an just go to the store, and pick up a classic that I haven't had the chance to play, since there's so much great sofware available
piranha_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 piranha_inc
Member since 2005 • 1994 Posts
movies look good on the TV, web browsing is kind of awkward but works ok. I'm on my second psp cause I used the first one too much hehe
Trogeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#11 Trogeton
Member since 2005 • 2776 Posts
Yes the psp out of EVERY hand held gaming system I have ever purchased, I have kept, and never traded in or anything, I mean I used mine today to record some rc truck vids to put on youtube.. it's such a great system, I would not give it up for any other console. I highly recommend it for anyone
superdum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 superdum
Member since 2009 • 240 Posts
PSP rocks great features and games!
Avatar image for Lord_of_Terrans
Lord_of_Terrans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lord_of_Terrans
Member since 2004 • 196 Posts

I,m thinking of buying a psp and need some advice as i,m a PS3 person that wants a platform i can take on holiday, connect to a tv to watch films through and go on line, the simple question is, are they any good and worth having. ??

shottohell
My opinion: Don't worth it. I had 2 PsP so far.... one i buy on launch day... sell it after 3months. Second one the 2000 version i still have it because i find no one to buy it. Alot of features but comon WHERE are the games. The quality of the image when you connect it to a HDTV is not good. If your planning on looking at movie and listen music, you better go with a iPod / iTouch you get more storage for your money
wartutheshid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wartutheshid
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts

psp is good at the beggining, but then you relize there is so much more you can do with it, and you'll probably end up hacking it.

I also think psp-2000 is the best, the 3000 has some annoying scanlines you'd notice, and they get REALLY annoying.

Avatar image for deactivated-582dfc6735967
deactivated-582dfc6735967

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 deactivated-582dfc6735967
Member since 2005 • 112 Posts
The psp is a nice multimedia device to have. With the web browser, I would recommend using mobile web sites because the cache size is very small so many normal pages won't load unless you turn off all the features such as javascript, animations, etc. Movies play great, music plays great, has a radio player too. If your psp has homebrew installed you can watch youtube and send mail if you have a wifi connection available. If you know anything about homebrew you should get the 2000 if you don't just get the 3000, they both have skype for calls but the 3000 has the mic built in so you only need headphones for calls and don't have to buy the headset they sell for the 2000 model. As far as games, it may not be for you if you don't love rpgs and sport games, if you do there are plenty though. It is a nice device to have though, but if you are just buying a device for multimedia and not for games I would get a Ipod Touch because the browser is better and so is input for email.
Jakesta7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#16 Jakesta7
Member since 2007 • 2472 Posts
I used to hav a PSP 1000 like 5 yaers ago, it broke, so i got money back for it and got the *other Handheld*, i absolutely did not like it at all, so im thinking about getting a PSP again. Get the PSP 3000 witrh the Ratchet and CLank Limited Edition.
rodney130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rodney130
Member since 2004 • 1139 Posts
Well I really like it but if internet is the one of the main things you want it for I wouldn't buy it. It's pretty slow.
l0ve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#18 l0ve
Member since 2005 • 3178 Posts

shottohell
I recommend you get an ipod touch instead, some of the new games coming out on it are absolutely excellent not to mention all the other features.
mase09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mase09
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I've had 3 psp systems. I always end up selling them on ebay. They are fun for a while, but the novelty disapears quickly. I hacked one to play free games...still got tired of it.
ps3x360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ps3x360
Member since 2009 • 104 Posts
Well it really depends on what you do with it, right now the only thing the PSP is good for is homebrew and that's it because some 3rd party developers have stopped making games for the thing. I had a PSP but I got rid of it because I wasn't having any fun with it but I'm not saying it's a bad system it just doesn't really have any games right now so the choice is yours.
Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ringx55
Member since 2008 • 5967 Posts
[QUOTE="shottohell"]

l0ve
I recommend you get an ipod touch instead, some of the new games coming out on it are absolutely excellent not to mention all the other features.

Games on a Itouch good? Come on, you can't be serious
Fyrhtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Fyrhtu
Member since 2009 • 199 Posts
The PSP is good in certain ways, such as being portable, light but requires good care because it is easily scratched but when it comes to gaming I personally would get a DS Lite due to the range of games and its more fun, usually most people would go for next gen consoles like 360 but portable ones its up to you really.

[Testing message]
[Monitoring message]
[If messaged removed or deleted for whatever reason, seek customer service]
TechGuru89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TechGuru89
Member since 2009 • 478 Posts
I really liked mine when I had it, but it was boring after time. I used the music/movies feat along with the internet on occasion. The games look brilliant for a handheld and play quite well. At the same time if you've had or had a ps2 or any of the newer systems the psp gets old quick. It just feels like washed up ports with no depth. I sold mine and don't have any handhelds. Kinda regret it, and then again I don't.
l0ve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#24 l0ve
Member since 2005 • 3178 Posts
[QUOTE="l0ve"][QUOTE="shottohell"]

Ringx55

Then you must have not played too many, yes I am very serious.
Jakesta7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#25 Jakesta7
Member since 2007 • 2472 Posts
[QUOTE="Ringx55"][QUOTE="l0ve"] I recommend you get an ipod touch instead, some of the new games coming out on it are absolutely excellent not to mention all the other features. l0ve

Then you must have not played too many, yes I am very serious.

Ya they are a lot of fun, free too!
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Yes, they are any good.
WorldWideGod69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 WorldWideGod69
Member since 2008 • 61 Posts
for sure yuou should get one i love my psp it makes long journeys and boring math classes a whole lot better