PSN Friends - Do you only add people from real life?

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#1 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

Hi all, just thought I'd throw this one out there. Do you guys ever add random people, or do you stick to adding people you know in real life?

I've found so far that I only add people I know in real life, I talk to and play with some of them, but there are some games which I own that these people don't play.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#2 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

That's why you gotta mix it up! About half the people on my list are people I actually know, while the other half are a mix of people from here(GS) and online matches.

That way, I'll never have an issue with finding someone for co-op or MP! "BUT" if you're under age, I would suggest you stick with just the people you know or make your parents aware of ANYONE you are interacting with online that you don't know personally.

@Chris_53 said:

but there are some games which I own that these people don't play.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I´m selective when it comes to adding friends:

• No kids !
  • Similar library of games played
  • Similar skills
  • Similar level
  • Similar profile

Btw, I don´t know personally any of my "friends".

RyleyHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RyleyHeart
Member since 2015 • 13 Posts

Me personally it's both. I have friends in real life that I know and than I'll find 1 friend and than meet their group of friends and I'll just be the new one to the group. Depends on the games people have and if they play for fun or if they are a serious bunch of try hard butt ragers. No kids. Can't stand listening to a 12 year old boy going through puberty raging like a mofo with the most stupid common insults known to man. But it's all what's in your style. If you feel you need more friends play online and just throw a mic on. Great way to meet new people!

DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

Why not have two accounts? One for randoms and a private account for only real friends.

MarkoftheSivak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 MarkoftheSivak
Member since 2010 • 461 Posts

I only have 2 friends I know personally on my friends list, the others are from gamefaqs diablo 3 forum where we exchange psn's for loot gifting and nemeses sharing, it's a pretty good system.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@DivineSword said:

Why not have two accounts? One for randoms and a private account for only real friends.

That sounds kind of insane.

As far as I go I add everyone who wants to be added. If I only know them from online like this forum chances are I'll meet them at a PAX or E3 or something else down the road.

If not hey, we talk on here and we either hate or like each other so why not play some games together?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@DivineSword said:

Way to ruin the thread with the only legitimate answer ;p

This is exactly what I do but mostly did now...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I pretty much only add real world friends to my list. But then again, since I mainly play SP games on my PS4 or Vita, it is rarely an issue, or need.

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#10  Edited By digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

Real life? What is that? All my friends are composed of binary code.

DrSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DrSpoon
Member since 2015 • 628 Posts

Mixture of both, if I meet someone who is playing similar games to me and their trophy profile matches up (gives me an idea of what they are into), I will add them. Don't keep in regular contact with people on my friends list anyway, too busy playing games.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Yes. I used to give out my PSN on the forums and I would get random requests all the time. No one would talk/message or play, they just added to fill their friend list count.

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#13 digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

@SOedipus said:

Yes. I used to give out my PSN on the forums and I would get random requests all the time. No one would talk/message or play, they just added to fill their friend list count.

That's the big question. Better to have a small friend list of ones that play and message you, or a massive list of friends that are there to show off a friend tally number? 10x quality ones vs 100x silent ones?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#14 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Chris_53: i've added people from here and facebook groups

Avatar image for nerdgazumgaming
NerdGazumGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NerdGazumGaming
Member since 2015 • 86 Posts

@Chris_53: Just starting to add online rando's to my friends list. I am in the same boat. I have too many games that have online features I never truly get to enjoy because I don't have people to game online with. My buddies game, but far seldom than I. ESO, Destiny, Borderlands, GTA V, Dialbo III, and even minecraft (all on PS4) rarely get touched because they aren't much fun solo.

NerdGazumGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NerdGazumGaming

@raugutcon: I'd rather enjoy playing online with people than having restrictions to whom I play with.. Gaming is meant to be fun, I play video games nearly everyday for a few hours at a time. I consider myself the core gamer. But I don't take it seriously enough to matter if someone is as good as me or not. IF they are funny, I don't mind covering their back in a pinch and carrying some extra weight for a good laugh or two.

NerdGazumGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NerdGazumGaming

@The_Last_Ride: why can't my friends list be OVER 9000!

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@nerdgazumgaming said:

@raugutcon: I'd rather enjoy playing online with people than having restrictions to whom I play with.. Gaming is meant to be fun, I play video games nearly everyday for a few hours at a time. I consider myself the core gamer. But I don't take it seriously enough to matter if someone is as good as me or not. IF they are funny, I don't mind covering their back in a pinch and carrying some extra weight for a good laugh or two.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, besides, the thread is days old, don´t go necroing old threads.

NerdGazumGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NerdGazumGaming

@raugutcon: I do what I want :)
Thanks for trying, and making up new words!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 The_Last_Ride

@nerdgazumgaming said:

@The_Last_Ride: why can't my friends list be OVER 9000!

because Sony says so

Dionzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#22 Dionzilla
Member since 2015 • 90 Posts

only real life :P

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:
@DivineSword said:

As far as I go I add everyone who wants to be added. If I only know them from online like this forum chances are I'll meet them at a PAX or E3 or something else down the road.

If not hey, we talk on here and we either hate or like each other so why not play some games together?

and yet he never accepts party or game invites.

NerdGazumGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NerdGazumGaming

@The_Last_Ride: you failed the vegeta joke... you failed us all.....

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 The_Last_Ride

@nerdgazumgaming said:

Try again

NerdGazumGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NerdGazumGaming

@The_Last_Ride said:
@nerdgazumgaming said:

Try again

BRAVO! just epic! :)

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@jcrame10 said:
@Jaysonguy said:
@DivineSword said:

and yet he never accepts party or game invites.

I know, I'm sorry.

My Mom almost died about a month ago and she's living at my house while she recovers. I've been taking care of my house and my parent's house at the same time so when I play whenever I do I'm kind of just beat. Also even when I'm not dealing with a ton of stuff I'm always seeing what my cat is up to or getting a drink of water or something else that I would think would bother people.

Once my Mom is back home and everything settles down I'm going to try to make more of an effort to join other people when they play.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

i have only a couple of online firends, the rest of my friends' list is from "my life"... :D

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I wish I had that luxury, and wouldn't bother with most anons if I didn't have to.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#30 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Only high level PSNs 15+

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I don't have many PSN friends since I don't play online much anymore. I have two people I know in real life in my friends list and a few other random users I met playing Reistance 2 online years ago.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

Never add random people, but if you do be selective and never add ones with no blank message.

cosmicalex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 cosmicalex
Member since 2015 • 8 Posts

I tend to add people i know, and if it's not i have to get to know them, age is a big factor as i am 22 and would rather not play with 12 year olds. Also the games they play factor in if they only play black ops and all that its a no. I have a huge library/ love for all games and i don't want someone who only requests to play games from only 2 things.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#34 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@Chris_53: Well chris its always fun to play games online with people you know, but its also fun to get to know other gamers from around the country and around the world. There is a limit to how many friends you have on PSN. Its a great system in Coolyfetts opinion. Coolyfett has some personal friends from the PS1 days that he is friends with, then there all the people he used to chat with on PlayStation Home. Normally if a gamer CoolyFett doesnt know does not sign in for 3 months Coolyfett will delete them to make room for more active gamers. It may take time to establish a list of active gamers that are always active. Trophy comparisons are the fun part. Its cool to see what other gamers are playing.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Coolyfett

@raugutcon: how can you tell similar skills oR similar profiles??? Coolyfett doesnt like to add low level gamers either. Anyone less than a 3 coolyfett normally doesnt add, because most likely it is a secondary account. Coolyfett is always impressed to see PlayStation gamers with PS3, Vita and PS4 titles in their trophy list, that pretty hardcore!

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#36 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I add my friends but also if people ever want to add me I accept their friend requests.

Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts

I tend to avoid adding random people because, and I know this is totally judgmental on my part, I assume people who send friend requests to strangers - especially after just 5 or 10 minutes of playing together - are kids and/or people so desperate for friends that they ask everyone they play with and take anyone they can get. Neither of those prospects appeal to me. Though, I do always feel a little bad when I decline/ignore those requests.

subtenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 subtenko
Member since 2009 • 157 Posts

No I add people if I think they are cool/fun to game with more-so if they have a mic

JQuinzelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JQuinzelle
Member since 2015 • 38 Posts

At first I was strictly real life friends only. But I'm now looking for general friends on PSN. I do have certain standards though. No kids, similar library, respectful. If anyone cares to be friends just check out my signature.

Rom_Rom89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Rom_Rom89
Member since 2015 • 10 Posts

I have about 20 PSN friends on my current profile.

I had a lot more on my old account though.

They were mostly people I had trolled in the past.

I used to beat people in Tekken Revolution in annoying ways, that would make them want to send me hatemail.

Whenever they did, I would always just send them friend requests.

Nowadays though, I have a healthy mix of real-world friends and old internet buddies (I'm looking at you Kicky)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41 deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

I've actually made it to where I can no longer receive friend requests from random people. I rarely play online, but yet I receive multiple requests a week demanding I add them, go to this game or that game and play in their party. I honestly think that people are just mixing my ID with someone else's? Who knows!? The last time I had a large amount of people whom I have never met was SOCOM II for the PS2. I did accept friend requests a lot with the PS3, but that was for a couple of games... WarHawk being the main one. BUT... to answer the original posters question. The people I do have, I have physically met.

Oi_Oi_Spanky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Oi_Oi_Spanky
Member since 2015 • 301 Posts

I think all of the people on my friends list are from real life. I don't think there's any that I just made up in my own head. Should the question not be do you only add people you know in person?

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Coolyfett

@thedarklinglord: everyone has their reasons for why they add or decline users. Coolyfett has rules and standards himself. Like if a friend has not logged in 90 days, 3 months Coolyfett will delete them, because most likely if they are not active on PSN, they are on Xbox or Nintendo deeming them a traitor lol or they just stop playing games altogether. Gamers Coolyfett actually knows dont have to be as active.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#44 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

@Coolyfett said:

@thedarklinglord: everyone has their reasons for why they add or decline users. Coolyfett has rules and standards himself. Like if a friend has not logged in 90 days, 3 months Coolyfett will delete them, because most likely if they are not active on PSN, they are on Xbox or Nintendo deeming them a traitor lol or they just stop playing games altogether. Gamers Coolyfett actually knows dont have to be as active.

I do the same thing, anyone inactive for three months straight means they aren't using their system anymore. Otherwise, I'm very beware of level 1 , zero trophies invites.. 99% of the time they are some kind of spammers.

On the topic, I add people that I know be it online or in real life. Mix of both.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Coolyfett

@rom_rom89 said:

I have about 20 PSN friends on my current profile.

I had a lot more on my old account though.

They were mostly people I had trolled in the past.

I used to beat people in Tekken Revolution in annoying ways, that would make them want to send me hatemail.

Whenever they did, I would always just send them friend requests.

Nowadays though, I have a healthy mix of real-world friends and old internet buddies (I'm looking at you Kicky)

Dude thats is hilarious man!!!!! Why did you have to make another account and what happens to all your old trophies you accomplished?

Rom_Rom89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Rom_Rom89

@Coolyfett: The reason why I created a new account is that my old username has a lot of history, that I wanted to leave behind (Not just trolling)

So I signed up with a new account.

But yeah, all my trophies and accomplishments are gone.

I'm okay with it though.

I didn't choose thug life, thug life chose me.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Coolyfett

@rom_rom89 said:

@Coolyfett: The reason why I created a new account is that my old username has a lot of history, that I wanted to leave behind (Not just trolling)

So I signed up with a new account.

But yeah, all my trophies and accomplishments are gone.

I'm okay with it though.

I didn't choose thug life, thug life chose me.

Wow dude thats sucks. What is your main PSN name now?

Rom_Rom89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Rom_Rom89

@Coolyfett: Rom_Rom89