Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Hi All-

Been borrowing a PS4 but want to own my own. Now, I think the console is fine and I know we are getting towards the end of the generation, so a PS4 Pro might not be worth it, but I was wondering just how much of a performance increase a Pro version offers over the standard PS4 console.

I won't be using 4K, btw...not right off the bat, as I don't have a 4K TV (yet) and probably won't for some time.

The reason I ask is if there is better framerate, better visuals, and all that stuff I might give the Pro version a try. BUT! if the only reason to own a Pro is for 4K, then I will pass.

Thanks for your help!

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2  Edited By deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Standard, exclusives all run the same. The extra visual qualities are not worth it so late in the gen, but who knows, you may find a pro on offer.

One game is unplayable on base consoles, odyssey.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mrbojangles25

@Random_Matt said:

Standard, exclusives all run the same.

Cool, thanks.

Yeah I will be playing 95% of my games on PC, I'm pretty much buying this for Horizon: Zero Dawn, Spiderman, and to play Minecraft with my real-life friends.

You know when I list it like that it almost doesn't seem worth it. Hmm. Maybe if I can find a used one for cheap.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:
@Random_Matt said:

Cool, thanks.

Yeah I will be playing 95% of my games on PC, I'm pretty much buying this for Horizon: Zero Dawn, Spiderman, and to play Minecraft with my real-life friends.

You know when I list it like that it almost doesn't seem worth it. Hmm. Maybe if I can find a used one for cheap.

If they are the only ones, sure. Although, you may want to play them all.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

If your ever considering PSVR, get the Pro.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25

Found one on sale for <300, so I bought it. Thanks for the replies all.

@Random_Matt said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@Random_Matt said:

Cool, thanks.

If they are the only ones, sure. Although, you may want to play them all.

I'm sure they won't be the only ones, but for now they are.

@npiet1 said:

If your ever considering PSVR, get the Pro.

Nah, got an Oculus. But PSVR looks pretty good, too.

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#7 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
@Random_Matt said:

Standard, exclusives all run the same. The extra visual qualities are not worth it so late in the gen, but who knows, you may find a pro on offer.

I play Odyssey on a base PS4, performance is far from perfect, but it's hardly unplayable. This is coming from someone who played The Witcher 3 at launch

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

You're not on the 4K train yet, so I say be economical and get the PS4 slim for now. Once the PS5 comes out you can trade the slim in towards that, since it will have more impressive 4K. Be patient and be more wow'd in 2020!

Edit: Whoops, didn't see you had already bought one. Well enjoy. Get Persona 5, Gravity Rush 1+2, Shadow of the Colossus and the Yakuza series. That's what I would do.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mrbojangles25

@mandzilla said:

You're not on the 4K train yet, so I say be economical and get the PS4 slim for now. Once the PS5 comes out you can trade the slim in towards that, since it will have more impressive 4K. Be patient and be more wow'd in 2020!

Edit: Whoops, didn't see you had already bought one. Well enjoy. Get Persona 5, Gravity Rush 1+2, Shadow of the Colossus and the Yakuza series. That's what I would do.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will be finishing up Horizon and starting Spiderman, but I have a whole generation of PS4 to explore :D I haven't been playing it as much since I am borrowing it, I will probably be more invested in it now though haha.

Gravity Rush looks crazy! Persona 5 has a neat art style, too.

@Chris_53 said:
@Random_Matt said:

I play Odyssey on a base PS4, performance is far from perfect, but it's hardly unplayable. This is coming from someone who played The Witcher 3 at launch

I notice some slowdown on Horizon: Zero Dawn when I play it, but nothing in excess, nothing deal-breaking. Horizon seems like a demanding game so I imagine pretty much everything else will run well enough.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:
@mandzilla said:

Thanks for the suggestions! I will be finishing up Horizon and starting Spiderman, but I have a whole generation of PS4 to explore :D I haven't been playing it as much since I am borrowing it, I will probably be more invested in it now though haha.

Gravity Rush looks crazy! Persona 5 has a neat art style, too.

No problem dude. :) I don't own a PS4, but those would be my picks anyway. Have only heard good things about Persona and Gravity Rush. Spiderman is of course a must-buy. Hey, you could maybe even check out some of the platform exclusive indies like Resogun or Super Stardust HD.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@mrbojangles25: really? I felt like HZD ran rock solid 99% of the time (at 30fps). Was pretty blown away by that given how good it looks (OG phat PS4 base model)

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Just get the pro. The newer models fans has less noise so its pretty good.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#13 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I've had my PS4 for a minute now. It's getting fairly old. The disc drive is starting to fail on me so I was thinking of upgrading to the pro. Not that there's any HUGE difference but performance is generally better.

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

I play GOW3 on the Ps4 Pro and it is absolutely fantastic. I gave my old Ps4 to my friend for free since his got stolen. But the Ps4 Pro is amazing on my Samsung TV; I haven't tried it on the PSVR yet, But I am bound to. :)

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

ps4 pro model 7216

apexlegendepic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points