PS3's Life Span=About 2 Years?

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

marco_polo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 marco_polo13
Member since 2004 • 219 Posts
So the "Yellow Light of Death" is becoming more of an issue after about 2 years after the PS3 launch. My PS3 got it about a month ago, and I just sent it to Sony which I paid $150 for a refernished PS3. I was truly expecting my PS3 to last at least 5 years since it was so expencive. I really do hope Sony starts charging less to fix this problem, or at least fix them for free. Anybody else agree with me? Oh yea and I alse been hearing from people that the "YLOD" is hardware defect that many PS3's have, so this means that no matter how much you take care of your PS3, it will still happen. I do believie this is true because I did many things to keep my ps3 in top condition.
numbersss101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 numbersss101
Member since 2007 • 421 Posts
Then dont take care of your ps3......I did not take good care bout my ps3 and its still working since I bought it in December
cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 cmpepper23
Member since 2005 • 3281 Posts
I hope not. I have had mine since launch, and so far I'm yet to have any problems. I do take very good care of it though. I hoping it will last me until the next playstation console, because they no longer make 60GBs, and I like my backwards compatability.
Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts
That's a real shame, man... but I seriously hope you're wrong. I mean, every electric device is bound to get defective over time and some just get defective faster than others due to manufacturing is not a 100% reliable process.
Dilrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Dilrod
Member since 2003 • 4257 Posts
Something sounds fishy...
KamuiFei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6 KamuiFei
Member since 2003 • 4334 Posts
I'm sure if it becomes more and more common (which I hope not), Sony will address it accordingly. Free shipping and maybe a free "greatest hits" game of your choice or something. I remember they used to do something like that with faulty PS1s back then.
1uP_OnYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 1uP_OnYou
Member since 2008 • 3183 Posts
That sucks, take better care of it. Dust it off often and remember not to shut down while the yellow light is blinking.
woofie13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 woofie13
Member since 2007 • 841 Posts
So the "Yellow Light of Death" is becoming more of an issue after about 2 years after the PS3 launch. My PS3 got it about a month ago, and I just sent it to Sony which I paid $150 for a refernished PS3. I was truly expecting my PS3 to last at least 5 years since it was so expencive. I really do hope Sony starts charging less to fix this problem, or at least fix them for free. Anybody else agree with me? Oh yea and I alse been hearing from people that the "YLOD" is hardware defect that many PS3's have, so this means that no matter how much you take care of your PS3, it will still happen. I do believie this is true because I did many things to keep my ps3 in top condition.marco_polo13

LOL, PS3 is not very expensive and hardly any of them are having issues other than an occasional freeze. Mine's from '06 and never had issues.
Gamerboi27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Gamerboi27
Member since 2005 • 3261 Posts

had mine since launch...froze on me about 4 times...other then that

NO PROBS AT ALL

hofuldig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 hofuldig
Member since 2004 • 5126 Posts
lol 2 years! Thats Way better than the Xbox360's 6month RROD Lifespan
navstar29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 navstar29
Member since 2004 • 4036 Posts

i guarantee this so called yellow light of death or whataver is still only hitting an extremely small portion of ps3's, even if it does seem to be getting 'more common' ... im sorry that you had to deal with it, but honestly ppl complain about faulty hardware when they dont realize that theres a lot you can do to prevent it (although sometimes you cant, which is unfortunate), but my friend was getting all pissed off about his 360 RRODing all the time (he sent it in like 3 times), until i finally went to his house and saw what an idiot he was and told him that keeping it in a basically closed container next to his heater was a really stupid idea. There a lot of things you can do to take care of a machine, cleaning it, cleaning the room with the ps3 in it regularly, having lots of airflow in the area, keeping it in the open etc etc. If you do take care of your machines and this still happens its unfortunate, but i can guarantee you that a lot of these incidents are the fault's of ppl not doing what they can or getting lazy at times.

I'm personally not worried, the engineering is solid and the software is continually updated and of all the different companies products i own, sony's (and apple's) have always given me the least problems (and i own a lot of sony products: ps1,2,psp,3, a couple of tv's and computers and random walkmen and phones), i have had more trouble with other hardware companies.

Devourment423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Devourment423
Member since 2005 • 2163 Posts
I'm on my second PS3. The first one had that disc read error which seems to be coming up a lot. Hope this one doesn't crap out on me.
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts
I just got the disc error thing about one hour ago:(. I cannot play blu-ray movies or games...*sniff* at least I finished playing Hysteria's bass line. And I got my PS3 back in October.
420Token420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 420Token420
Member since 2007 • 5173 Posts

Well I have never vacuumed my PS3, or blown air into it .. just the occassional wipe of the dust on top .. it sits on the ground on a piece of wood .. have had like 3 freeze problems and that's it ..

When it breaks man it's just tough luck, like someone has already said it's an electronic and not every one of them will work forever. They do have malfunctions ..

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts
so you believe all those trolls? 99% of those reported YLOD are only trolls and the new name so resembles the RROD it can only have been created by X360 trolls
Triv1um

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Triv1um
Member since 2008 • 48 Posts

Isnt the yellow light just a OTHEROS hack?

Im sure it got released.

Steve_ps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Steve_ps
Member since 2008 • 255 Posts

I think people exagerate how many ps3s are affected, ive had mine since launch and had no problems. Seems to be a very small proportion.

GnR-SLaSh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GnR-SLaSh
Member since 2006 • 3021 Posts

Something sounds fishy...Dilrod

Agreed.

Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts

That sucks, take better care of it. Dust it off often and remember not to shut down while the yellow light is blinking.1uP_OnYou

Does anyone know what causes the yellow light? I remember that with the other console there were several known reasons.

*edit~ I should also note that I've had no problems with mine (knock on wood). It's a 40GB that I bought Nov 2007.

hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
had mine for about that time and no problems here
Akm4everz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Akm4everz
Member since 2004 • 2390 Posts
It would be better if we didnt even speak of it...
darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts

I'm on my second PS3. The first one had that disc read error which seems to be coming up a lot. Hope this one doesn't crap out on me.Devourment423
I just got the disc error thing about one hour ago:(. I cannot play blu-ray movies or games...*sniff* at least I finished playing Hysteria's bass line. And I got my PS3 back in October.Zidaneski

I think this is the real issue.....my brother got one for Christmas and within 2 months the Blu-ray drive broke to where it wouldn't read anything (DVD's, Blu-ray, or games). What was great though is he got it replaced in about 2 weeks total.

-Knoa-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 -Knoa-
Member since 2008 • 115 Posts

Hey Navstar, did you say you have a sony walkman? That's interesting, I... oh, hold on a sec, my car phone is ringing...

truenextgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 truenextgen
Member since 2007 • 3911 Posts

What the heck is a yellow light I know about the red ring. Just click my link. But never head about a yellow light

Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Asim90
Member since 2005 • 3692 Posts
Im pretty sure the yellow light means the hard drive has messed up. Anyone with a computer or laptop knows that hard drives are relatively unreliable and can pack in randomly. The hard drives arent made by Sony and it has nothing to do with the PS3's hardware, all you have to do is insert a new hard drive. Also, how is this an increasing issue? Isn't it like less then 2% and I know of no one who has suffered from this.
shadystxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 shadystxxx
Member since 2005 • 2158 Posts

So the "Yellow Light of Death" is becoming more of an issue after about 2 years after the PS3 launch. My PS3 got it about a month ago, and I just sent it to Sony which I paid $150 for a refernished PS3. I was truly expecting my PS3 to last at least 5 years since it was so expencive. I really do hope Sony starts charging less to fix this problem, or at least fix them for free. Anybody else agree with me? Oh yea and I alse been hearing from people that the "YLOD" is hardware defect that many PS3's have, so this means that no matter how much you take care of your PS3, it will still happen. I do believie this is true because I did many things to keep my ps3 in top condition.marco_polo13

Well my PS3 has had very little use so far,360 has had the better games IN MY OPINION so far and i bought gta for 360, but once MGS4 comes out and other good looking exclusives this year my PS3 will start getting constant use, but at the moment its been turned off for over 2 months.

It's worrying that this "YLOD" is becoming a problem especially since we will all have to pay to get it fixed, i have had 2 360's die but they were both fixed for free where as i had 2 ps2's die and i had to pay £80($160) each time, i just bought a new 360 elite so i know i have nearly 3 years of warrenty for the rrod issue so it doesnt bother me.

At the moment im not that bothered about this ps3 issue but if it becomes allot more common i will be bothered especially if i have to pay to get it fixed, i wouldnt mind paying about £30 but anything over £50 is a joke especially since i keep my consoles in tip top condition.

Stryder_18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Stryder_18
Member since 2004 • 942 Posts
Isn't the yellow light just the Hard Drive, if so couldn't you just put a new hard drive in it and be set? Anyways I've had a 60GB since launch and no problems yet.
BlocChaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BlocChaser
Member since 2007 • 171 Posts
I had a while a go a yellow light, and it wasnt deadly, i spent like 10 mins trying to figure out what happend and then it turned back on, ive found more anoying those blinking red lights that sometimes take 10 to 20 mins to get rid of and get the ps3 back on game, but so far so good, no complain, the only game ive really had trouble with is R6V2, wich sometimes rebooted itself but thats about it.
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts

I had a while a go a yellow light, and it wasnt deadly, i spent like 10 mins trying to figure out what happend and then it turned back on, ive found more anoying those blinking red lights that sometimes take 10 to 20 mins to get rid of and get the ps3 back on game, but so far so good, no complain, the only game ive really had trouble with is R6V2, wich sometimes rebooted itself but thats about it.BlocChaser

I hate R6V2, the first one was great but the online play is so bad I am getting rid of it .

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

[QUOTE="marco_polo13"]So the "Yellow Light of Death" is becoming more of an issue after about 2 years after the PS3 launch. My PS3 got it about a month ago, and I just sent it to Sony which I paid $150 for a refernished PS3. I was truly expecting my PS3 to last at least 5 years since it was so expencive. I really do hope Sony starts charging less to fix this problem, or at least fix them for free. Anybody else agree with me? Oh yea and I alse been hearing from people that the "YLOD" is hardware defect that many PS3's have, so this means that no matter how much you take care of your PS3, it will still happen. I do believie this is true because I did many things to keep my ps3 in top condition.woofie13

LOL, PS3 is not very expensive and hardly any of them are having issues other than an occasional freeze. Mine's from '06 and never had issues.

THE PS3 ISNT EXPENSIVE?

is that a joke? seriously, like wow.

Shortbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 Shortbob
Member since 2007 • 1004 Posts
People forget that the PS3 is like a computer, do not jsut keep turning it on and off, on and off, on and off. Treat it with respect and clean it!
DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts
i have mine since november and has frozen like 5 times thats all
Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
Tough luck, TC, but the fact is there is no such thing as a 100% defect free electronic product. There will be at least a small percentage of defects. You were just unlucky to get one of them. It doesnt mean the PS3 is ever going to achieve the astronomical failure rate RROD has given 360.
coochie_kuta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 coochie_kuta
Member since 2003 • 660 Posts
hopefully if this is a problem i can be lucky this time around. i wasnt so lucky with the ps2 and i felt betrayed when i had to pay sony to fix their flawed hardware. but hey, it was a good learning experience.
Gr8Day2Die

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gr8Day2Die
Member since 2008 • 42 Posts
how gay is that
MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#37 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts

I hope not. I have had mine since launch, and so far I'm yet to have any problems. I do take very good care of it though. I hoping it will last me until the next playstation console, because they no longer make 60GBs, and I like my backwards compatability.cmpepper23

Same here. I'm a launch owner 06 and I would hate for mines to mess up now especially since 60gb is gone with the wind.

steve4200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 steve4200
Member since 2007 • 387 Posts
im not worried at all...and heres why...bought a ps1...had it for 5 years with no problems what so ever and i even messed with it by putting the chip in to run burnt games...then i bought a ps2....which i had for 7 years and through that time it had gotten dropped, beer split on it...people fell on it...7 years and the only time it EVER froze was very rarely when i was playing online games...now i had my ps2 for 7 years...sony said that ps2 would have a 6 year shelf life...which it did...now they said ps3's shelf life would be around 10 years...that with the fact that about 3 months ago i read that the ps3 failure rate was still under 1% while the 360's were sitting at something like 37%...PLUS i got a 3 yr warretny that goes into affect AFTER the 1 year sony warreny wears out...even if i didnt have any warrenties i would still not worry at all...sony always makes good products...im not saying perfect...there are always failures in these types of things when u mass produce them...ie computers tvs consoles ect...its a shame for the people it happens to but thats why theres warrenties...on the off chance that your the unlucky one that has a failure at least u get a brand new one for free
steve4200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 steve4200
Member since 2007 • 387 Posts
well theres no way if mine breaks down im not getting another 60 gig ps3 as soon as possable...i bought a 60gig ps3 and thats whats covered on my warrenty...i dont care if they dont have them anymore they can make me a better one...if there not gonna give me a 60 gig one they are gonna give me on with all the same features and a equal or bigger hard drive...if not i hope they got good security cause ill be causing a seen
Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12377 Posts

Ive only had 2 issues with my PS3 (Beeped while powering down and froze during a chatroom)

Only 1 with Call of Duty 4 (froze after a patch update)

Only 1 with GTA4 (A 3 second delay while driving)

Nothing Major

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12377 Posts

[QUOTE="woofie13"][QUOTE="marco_polo13"]So the "Yellow Light of Death" is becoming more of an issue after about 2 years after the PS3 launch. My PS3 got it about a month ago, and I just sent it to Sony which I paid $150 for a refernished PS3. I was truly expecting my PS3 to last at least 5 years since it was so expencive. I really do hope Sony starts charging less to fix this problem, or at least fix them for free. Anybody else agree with me? Oh yea and I alse been hearing from people that the "YLOD" is hardware defect that many PS3's have, so this means that no matter how much you take care of your PS3, it will still happen. I do believie this is true because I did many things to keep my ps3 in top condition.supa_badman

THE PS3 ISNT EXPENSIVE?

400 or 500 dollars for a multimedia entertainment system is not a lot of money

marco_polo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 marco_polo13
lol yea seriously. We ain't all rich like you woffie.
MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#43 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts
[QUOTE="supa_badman"]

[QUOTE="woofie13"][QUOTE="marco_polo13"]So the "Yellow Light of Death" is becoming more of an issue after about 2 years after the PS3 launch. My PS3 got it about a month ago, and I just sent it to Sony which I paid $150 for a refernished PS3. I was truly expecting my PS3 to last at least 5 years since it was so expencive. I really do hope Sony starts charging less to fix this problem, or at least fix them for free. Anybody else agree with me? Oh yea and I alse been hearing from people that the "YLOD" is hardware defect that many PS3's have, so this means that no matter how much you take care of your PS3, it will still happen. I do believie this is true because I did many things to keep my ps3 in top condition.Nonstop-Madness

THE PS3 ISNT EXPENSIVE?

400 or 500 dollars for a multimedia entertainment system is not a lot of money

I paid almost $700 for mines in the launch in november 06, but I didn't care because I knew I was getting some cool hardware. If you work and have a good paying job/know how to budget then it isn't an expensive system to buy.

marco_polo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 marco_polo13
Hey man we ain't all rich and lucky like all you rich people. I have to pay $5000 a semester for college without using financial aid or loans, so that means money from my own money. I am curently getting pait $7 an hour at my job so yea, my life is tough and $500 is a lot to me.
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

Hey man we ain't all rich and lucky like all you rich people. I have to pay $5000 a semester for college without using financial aid or loans, so that means money from my own money. I am curently getting pait $7 an hour at my job so yea, my life is tough and $500 is a lot to me. marco_polo13

Don't forget gas, food, friends, girlfriends, parties, gas, video games, clothes, good clothes, gas, gifts, gas, and finally...gas.

BlocChaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BlocChaser
Member since 2007 • 171 Posts

[QUOTE="BlocChaser"]I had a while a go a yellow light, and it wasnt deadly, i spent like 10 mins trying to figure out what happend and then it turned back on, ive found more anoying those blinking red lights that sometimes take 10 to 20 mins to get rid of and get the ps3 back on game, but so far so good, no complain, the only game ive really had trouble with is R6V2, wich sometimes rebooted itself but thats about it.NinjaMunkey01

I hate R6V2, the first one was great but the online play is so bad I am getting rid of it .

I didnt played the first one but my bro was so hyped about RB6V2 that we bought it, i wasnt really entertained by it for more than a week, i get bored easily, thats why i mostly just buy games i REALLY REALLY want, like GTAIV and soon MGS4

redskins2156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 redskins2156
Member since 2007 • 2553 Posts
Mine just died tonight, but I got the flashing red lights. And I have a 60gb which is out of the warranty. I really wish they would extend the warranty.
GUNpoint_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GUNpoint_
Member since 2008 • 1964 Posts

Well I have never vacuumed my PS3, or blown air into it .. just the occassional wipe of the dust on top .. it sits on the ground on a piece of wood .. have had like 3 freeze problems and that's it ..

When it breaks man it's just tough luck, like someone has already said it's an electronic and not every one of them will work forever. They do have malfunctions ..

420Token420

same here :lol:
-oG-ShAdY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#50 -oG-ShAdY
Member since 2006 • 1385 Posts

[QUOTE="marco_polo13"]Hey man we ain't all rich and lucky like all you rich people. I have to pay $5000 a semester for college without using financial aid or loans, so that means money from my own money. I am curently getting pait $7 an hour at my job so yea, my life is tough and $500 is a lot to me. Zidaneski

Don't forget gas, food, friends, girlfriends, parties, gas, video games, clothes, good clothes, gas, gifts, gas, and finally...gas.

I pay for all that stuff too, not to mention insurance, but didn't you mention video games in there? I was able to buy was PS3 with my first weeks check. I made 11/hr in my first job out of High School. What state do you all live in because here in Oregon minimum wage is 7.90/hr? That job also bought me the rig you see in my sig and a 22' Samsung monitor ($290). To me the PS3 has already paid for itself. I got $100 back on my 60GB like 2 weeks after getting it. At this point I would just like to thank Sony for making such a high quality product. BTW what Sony does is called TQM = Total Quality Management, some companies (Not MS, but Apple) do it very well.