PS3D... will you buy a new TV for it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

So I heard about the 3d announcement, and assumed all 120hz TVs would work with the proposed 3D update, but from what I've been reading, Sony won't be releasing their new Bravia "3D HDTVs" (or laptops, or blu ray players) till late 2010. It seems a special chip will be required, not just a faster refresh rate, but it's too soon to know for sure. Assuming you do need a special TV that won't be released till this time next year, how do you feel about the technology? Will you buy a new TV to play games and watch movies in 3D. I know it sounds extreme, but my TV is getting old, and I think I'm going to do it. How about you?

newhighscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 newhighscore
Member since 2008 • 2037 Posts

too soon to tell. 3d has never impressed me over the yrs. the concept sounds good i admit though. i honestly dont see everyone buying new tvs and etc in this economy though.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Nah i doubt if i'll buy a new TV anytime soon.. i already own a Bravia HDTV

KillaB84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 KillaB84
Member since 2008 • 61 Posts

Hmm, just bought a 52" 750 series Samsung lcd. Doubt i'll be buying a new tv anytime soon. 3d or not.

DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

I doubt it, i think it most likely will end up like the sixaxis. Rarely being used at all

Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts

Probably not. It would be cool to game in 3D, but I just got a 32" Bravia for my room in July and when I move out in a few months I'm getting a 52" Bravia for my living room so I have no plans to buy a new TV for at least a few years.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

i have a 63" samsung, sony is absolutely insane if they think i'm trading my tv in. if they really wanna sell me 3d software they'll find a way to make it compatible with high hz refresh rate compatible tv's already on the market.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#8 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Absolutely not. I've seen some of the new polarizing effects (I think Up used them) and while they're neat, they're not worth shelling out for a whole new TV. 3D has always been a gimmick, and I don't see that changing.
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell no.

kimbokasteniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 kimbokasteniv
Member since 2004 • 3892 Posts
If 3d Tvs which do not require glasses work as one would expect them to, then yeah, I would upgrade to a 3d television. 3d has always been a gimmick because the technology wasn't there to make it massively available. If 3d technology has reached a point were it can deliver a seamless 3d experience to a wide audience, then I'm sure quality 3d content will follow. But I've never seen one of these glasses-less 3d TVs in person, so I have no idea how well they might work.
Avatar image for EpiphoneMan2008
EpiphoneMan2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 EpiphoneMan2008
Member since 2009 • 7169 Posts
I think the whole idea of 3D is BAD
GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts
No. Not a chance in hell.
haze_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 haze_blaze
Member since 2003 • 3907 Posts
Nope... but I probably will in time for the PS4.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 donalbane
Well guys, I tried some 3D gaming on a cool TV at CES, and I have to tell you it was pretty damned impressive. Stuff appears to jump out of the screen. I could see it working really well with Sphere controlled games. And by the way, Sony is also going to make many Blu Rays work with the technology... though for games and movies you'll have to buy a pair of pricey (up to $200) glasses per viewer. But since it's time for me to get another TV anyway, I figure "Why not?". Sony stated that the new TVs won't cost much more than the old type. So I'm game. Surprised that more people aren't in the same boat as me, though if I didn't need a new one anyway, I probably wouldn't want to get a new one either.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 donalbane
Absolutely not. I've seen some of the new polarizing effects (I think Up used them) and while they're neat, they're not worth shelling out for a whole new TV. 3D has always been a gimmick, and I don't see that changing.DJ_Lae
Analysts predict it's going to become increasingly prevalent. Most movies they make these days are being structured for 3D capabilities down the road. Maybe you're right, but hey... I love a good gimmick. ANything that increases immersion is fine by me.
rawr_xd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rawr_xd
Member since 2009 • 790 Posts

Heck no I won't get a new TV... my Samsung 47'' LED 1080p 120Hz is perfect.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 donalbane

Heck no I won't get a new TV... my Samsung 47'' LED 1080p 120Hz is perfect.

rawr_xd
And it may well support 3D... Sony is just being cagey about whether or not you'll have to get one of THEIR TVs. I think that would be a boneheaded move, personally. Here's hoping yours works.
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts
Nah i'll be right, i already have a great tv and don't plan on upgrading to a newer tv just to play games in 3D, if you ask me this feature wont turn out so good. It will grab people's attentions for sure, but after all the hype on it im pretty sure it will just die down and people will continue to play games in normal HD.
MalachiLiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MalachiLiu
Member since 2003 • 462 Posts

My dad is planning to buy a new TV on boxing day (Canada's black friday) but i doubt it'll be 3D enabled. Even if it were, my PS3 is hooked up to my comptuer monitor/speakers and im too lazy to move it =D

Avatar image for untouchables111
untouchables111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 untouchables111
Member since 2005 • 1650 Posts
I know that Sony must be able to complete this with out us having to buy a tv I mean if I can buy a movie in 3d why can't they do the same with games. I see that the tech specs would be diff. But to some degree they could do this. Mabye for thr people who don't want a new tv. They could just do a firmwere update. The look may not be as great as the newer tv but u could still get the point.
Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

There's no way in the world would I buy a new TV to play Videogames. Well unless I hit the Lottery :P

Serial_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22 Serial_Killa
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I know it sounds extreme, but my TV is getting old, and I think I'm going to do it.

donalbane

Ya me as well.Been holding out for a 200hz Bravia...Guess I might wait a bit longer.;)

Avatar image for DangerHiVoltage
DangerHiVoltage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DangerHiVoltage
Member since 2009 • 1157 Posts
Could Sony update the PS3 (via firmware) to enable 3d capability? id hate that I would have to buy another blu ray player to get 3d.
eddy96_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 eddy96_1
Member since 2003 • 1388 Posts
3D tv is just another fad. i dont think i could ever get comfortable wearing those pathetic glasses to watch tv or play games.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
No and I won't be buying a ps33d either. If 3d is popular when the PS4 is released, then I'll see about it.
Avatar image for Ravenlore_basic
Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 Ravenlore_basic
Member since 2003 • 4319 Posts

So I heard about the 3d announcement, and assumed all 120hz TVs would work with the proposed 3D update, but from what I've been reading, Sony won't be releasing their new Bravia "3D HDTVs" (or laptops, or blu ray players) till late 2010. It seems a special chip will be required, not just a faster refresh rate, but it's too soon to know for sure. Assuming you do need a special TV that won't be released till this time next year, how do you feel about the technology? Will you buy a new TV to play games and watch movies in 3D. I know it sounds extreme, but my TV is getting old, and I think I'm going to do it. How about you?

donalbane

The TV needs to accept an 120Hz input. That way the TV can use an input device that can display 2 seprate images at a sightly diffirent angle. The glasses are shutter glasses that very quickly allow in and shut off light to each eye. Thus each image corlates to each eye to make a more impressive 3D picture.

The cost to add the chip so the TV can accept the signal is really not much. It is not high tech chip it is a low cost chip. should not add much to TVs. I am sure thogh a total package with an LED TV with 240Hz, new better TV engine, higher BLack scale & brightness sclae, Gray scale, Refresh rate, anlong with 3D will cost a bundle. But even without the 3D it would still cost a lot.

Samsung came out with the first 3D ready 50 inch DLP tvs a while ago, they sell for around $800.00 dollars used. And they were going to come out with 3D lcd tvs but they came out too early before the 3D market was even considered. Now that there are enough 3D movies coming out and Videogames are going 3D there will be more intrest.

So Sony will not be the only TV manufacture to come out with a 3D TV.

I myself was going to get an PS3 and HDTV this year... looks like an Xbox 360 will come first and the TV and PS3 will come later.

Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ravenlore_basic

No and I won't be buying a ps3 3D either. If 3d is popular when the PS4 is released, then I'll see about it.guynamedbilly

... PS3 is capable of sending a 120Hz signal. as well as use HDMI 3.1 cheek it out 8)

Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ravenlore_basic

Could Sony update the PS3 (via firmware) to enable 3d capability? id hate that I would have to buy another blu ray player to get 3d.DangerHiVoltage

YES they said that they will do 3D via Firmwae update.

Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ravenlore_basic

too soon to tell. 3d has never impressed me over the yrs. the concept sounds good i admit though. i honestly dont see everyone buying new tvs and etc in this economy though.

newhighscore

... As I sit in my apratment bld. I have seen Numorous HDTV boxes in the trash. Also, every target, Walmart, Best Buy... store I have gone into since Black Friday has had huge numbers of people in line buying HDTVs.

So it seems there will be 2 solutions. The crapy Red / Blue glasses DVD movie, for people with out 3D TVs, and the upscale version on Blu-Ray that can change between normal 2D and 3D film.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Well, my Thomson full HD Tv is showing his age already, in a year I'll sure get a 3D if they are around by them, I'll get a new one next year anyway, I'm just waiting for the companies to work more with LED to make sure that the LED technology don't have to much bad aspects before getting one ^^

Avatar image for DangerHiVoltage
DangerHiVoltage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DangerHiVoltage
Member since 2009 • 1157 Posts

[QUOTE="DangerHiVoltage"]Could Sony update the PS3 (via firmware) to enable 3d capability? id hate that I would have to buy another blu ray player to get 3d.Ravenlore_basic

YES they said that they will do 3D via Firmwae update.

wow thanks for the info