PS3 wireless internet connection help?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Happy-Screamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Happy-Screamer
Member since 2007 • 467 Posts
This might be a noobish question but how do you get the WPA key? I tried the WEP key but it needs the WPA instead so i was wondering if anyone knows how i would retrieve it.

thageneral3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 thageneral3
Member since 2007 • 1929 Posts
I thought all of that stuff is automatic?
mrkyle104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mrkyle104
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

This might be a noobish question but how do you get the WPA key? I tried the WEP key but it needs the WPA instead so i was wondering if anyone knows how i would retrieve it.

It can actually be quite a complicated process to retrieve your WPA key if you forgot it. But here we go.

An easy way to retrieve it is to go to your wireless settings page from explorer; just type in your wireless router's ip into the browser from the computer you set up the router on and enter the administrator's password into the prompt(hopefully you at least know this). You'll find the WPA key under the wireless security tab.

However, if you don't know your wireless router's ip that can be found by going to start->run "cmd" Then at the prompt type "ipconfig /all" Search through the data and find the "Default Gateway" ip address, that is your router's ip.

Happy-Screamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Happy-Screamer
The WPA Key doesn't do it automatically because it's a security thing so other people can't use your internet connection.
Happy-Screamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Happy-Screamer

[QUOTE="Happy-Screamer"]This might be a noobish question but how do you get the WPA key? I tried the WEP key but it needs the WPA instead so i was wondering if anyone knows how i would retrieve it.

It can actually be quite a complicated process to retrieve your WPA key if you forgot it. But here we go.

An easy way to retrieve it is to go to your wireless settings page from explorer; just type in your wireless router's ip into the browser from the computer you set up the router on and enter the administrator's password into the prompt(hopefully you at least know this). You'll find the WPA key under the wireless security tab.

However, if you don't know your wireless router's ip that can be found by going to start->run "cmd" Then at the prompt type "ipconfig /all" Search through the data and find the "Default Gateway" ip address, that is your router's ip.

Thank you I will try it and yes I do know my IP, wooo finally i will get my ps3 online :lol:

mrkyle104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mrkyle104
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I hope this will help too:

wireless

truenextgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 truenextgen
Member since 2007 • 3911 Posts

Umm DId you buy a PS3 or digital computer safe. I cant wait till articles/posts like this come in from dead beats who got frierd from IBM trying to figure out how to get into the PS3 lol. What I did was hook it up, found It coud not find a mask, so I used a router and walla it found a new one. In basic you just hook it up and do all the stuff auto. If it dont work, by a cheap router, split the PC and PS3. Reall yit should be a split of your MAC and PC, because PCs s#$k. But for now I have to run a PC. And that will do the trick. Becuause some of these cable companies have some messed up boxes, that for some reason wont work. But a router has its own ID and everything, so it reads it as something entirely new. Plus their like a second firewall that does not cross.

truenextgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 truenextgen
Member since 2007 • 3911 Posts

[QUOTE="Happy-Screamer"]This might be a noobish question but how do you get the WPA key? I tried the WEP key but it needs the WPA instead so i was wondering if anyone knows how i would retrieve it.

Umm DId you buy a PS3 or digital computer safe. I cant wait till articles/posts like this come in from dead beats who got frierd from IBM trying to figure out how to get into the PS3 lol. What I did was hook it up, found It coud not find a mask, so I used a router and walla it found a new one. In basic you just hook it up and do all the stuff auto. If it dont work, by a cheap router, split the PC and PS3. Reall yit should be a split of your MAC and PC, because PCs s#$k. But for now I have to run a PC. And that will do the trick. Becuause some of these cable companies have some messed up boxes, that for some reason wont work. But a router has its own ID and everything, so it reads it as something entirely new. Plus their like a second firewall that does not cross.

Oh your talking about your computer one, no wounder why it was so hard. Yea windows a mess!!!! PS3 easy.

JadeAZNdragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JadeAZNdragon
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
uhh...I have the same problem, and I tired these steps to find the WPA key, but it doesn't work. I get to the admin's password, I enter it in, and it says "404 error" unauthorized access. I typed in the address that I saw in your other post with a picture of the linksys securityin my internet browser, but it doesn't work? any tips for me? thanks.
JadeAZNdragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JadeAZNdragon
and mrkyle104, can that link be used for ALL routers, or just yours? maybe that migh've been the problem
expanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 expanded
Member since 2003 • 8430 Posts

www.portforward.com has a list of ip's if you don't know ur router's IP.
it also helps you set up a static ip and stuff..

I have a static ip running so.. website is great.
just wanted to share if you need more than just knowing ur WEP or WPA

JadeAZNdragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JadeAZNdragon
I'm having that very same problem, except I followed your directions and entered in admin password, but nothing works...it says "401 unauthorized access."