Ps3 to Computer Monitor: How to get sound.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-57a12126af02c
deactivated-57a12126af02c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-57a12126af02c
Member since 2007 • 3290 Posts

Alright ima dummy when it comes to this stuff, but how would i get sound from a PC monitor, if it has no speakers.

I know to get picture you have to have a HDMI --> DVI cord, and that the monitor has to support HDCP.

BUt what about sound. If i had a set of speakers, could i just plug them into the ps3's optical out, or no?

Tubatica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Tubatica
Member since 2004 • 166 Posts
If you have a receiver with optical in, then you could plug your PS3 into the receiver.
sportwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sportwarrior
Member since 2003 • 2462 Posts

There are a couple of different options. I plug my sound in through my computer and/or the computer speakers. To do this you first need to set up your PS3 to play video through HDMI and sound through component/composit cables. Then you can do one of two things... Buy an RCA to Stereo adaptor... That way you can plug the Red/White audio cables into the adaptor, and then plug the adaptor into your "Input" jack of your computer or sound card. You can get this adaptor from most Radioshacks for like $5.

There are also adaptors out there that allow you to plug RCA cables directly into your PC speakers as well, skipping the computer altogether. The adaptor works by plugging both the speaker cables and the RCA audio cables into the adaptor. This adaptor can be found online for anywhere from $5 to $15.

You could also go the route of using the optical out as has already been suggested, but I think that these other two options are easier and more accessable for most people.

I personally run my audio through the computer... That allows me to output music and my PS3 game sound on the same speakers... That basically means I can add my own custom soundtrack to any game I choose... Pretty cool.

woofie13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 woofie13
Member since 2007 • 841 Posts

I have a dvi set up....
I run my sound through the audio/video out (the yellow red and white one),
so I have an adapter that converts the red and white (audio) into an output to my seperate computer speakers.