Ps3 slim - Monitor HDMI > DVI black screen

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gember

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gember
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Hello, I just bought a Ps3 Slim and wanted to use my Dell E207WFP (wich is said to support HDCP) instead of a TV. So I bought a HDMI to DVI Cable for 40 bucks ( couldn't find a cheaper one in any store ) and when I hooked it up, this is what showed on the screen : Cannot Display This Video Mode Optimum Resolution 1680 x 1050 60 Hz Everything else was black. What I tried: - Holding the on/off button for 5, 10, 15 + second, but no fix. - Hooked it up on my TV to try to change the display settings to HDMI, but it says that it will test for 30 seconds if it is compatible, if not it will change it back. So I tried to set it to HDMI via the controller on the monitor itself (without the screen working), but it didn't do anything. Read alot on the internet but did not find a fix yet. Does anyone know what to do? Thank you
gember

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gember
Bump
gember

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gember
Bump
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
The signal your monitor is receiving is out of it's displayable range. Unless you have an HD display that you can use short term to preset your PS3 to use 720p you'll have to do it blind. I've had this problem on my work monitor and couldn't for the life of me get it to auto-set the res. I ended up finding some XMB nav info on the Sony site and make the change based on sound and counted D-pad presses lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 19061980
Member since 2005 • 961 Posts

$40 for for HDMI to DVI converter? I got one of amazon for £4.

gember

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gember
I allready explained in my post that I have tried that. Just did not know the correct term for it.
Kokuro_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kokuro_Kun
Member since 2009 • 2339 Posts
[QUOTE="gember"]Hello, I just bought a Ps3 Slim and wanted to use my Dell E207WFP (wich is said to support HDCP) instead of a TV. So I bought a HDMI to DVI Cable for 40 bucks ( couldn't find a cheaper one in any store ) and when I hooked it up, this is what showed on the screen : Cannot Display This Video Mode Optimum Resolution 1680 x 1050 60 Hz Everything else was black. What I tried: - Holding the on/off button for 5, 10, 15 + second, but no fix. - Hooked it up on my TV to try to change the display settings to HDMI, but it says that it will test for 30 seconds if it is compatible, if not it will change it back. So I tried to set it to HDMI via the controller on the monitor itself (without the screen working), but it didn't do anything. Read alot on the internet but did not find a fix yet. Does anyone know what to do? Thank you

Pro tip. Newegg is your friend for all electronics. I bought a HDMI to DVI cable for my computer. 8$ with free shipping. On topic, sorry dude, not sure what could be causing this.
gember

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gember
I live in Holland, I can't buy from newegg. But anyway I tried to copy the directions I need to go to setup the display settings on my TV and than tried to do it on my monitor with a black screen. After alot of tries the screen worked, it said that it was in 720p resolution the only thing is that it was on the "example" mode and beneath it said " will go back to original res in bla bla seconds. So after that it went black again and I tried alot of times to bring it back "blindly" but with no luck. There seemed to be no " Confirm " option to keep that resolution.
cj_simmons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 cj_simmons
Member since 2005 • 419 Posts
You said you changed the setting to HDMI, but did you change the resolution? Hook it up to your tv and change the resolution to either 480 or 720p, and then hook it back to your computer monitor. to be honest, It sounds like your monitor doesn't have HDCP support. I bought a LG monitor a while back that claimed to have have it but didn't. Turns out there was two versions of the same monitor, one with it and one without it.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
[QUOTE="cj_simmons"]You said you changed the setting to HDMI, but did you change the resolution? Hook it up to your tv and change the resolution to either 480 or 720p, and then hook it back to your computer monitor. to be honest, It sounds like your monitor doesn't have HDCP support. I bought a LG monitor a while back that claimed to have have it but didn't. Turns out there was two versions of the same monitor, one with it and one without it.

Sounds like we have a winner, yes try changing the res on another TV...
gember

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gember
Well my TV does not support HDMI, and with the new ps3 Slim I can't change the resolution to something it can't support. I will try to do it at a friends house soon though. If that does not work, I will try updating what ever can be updated that is involved with this ( ps3, monitor, etc) If that does not work, I will contact Sony or something. Either way thank you guys for helping I'll probably keep checking here incase some one has a solid solution