PS3 lacks some good quality JRPGs. :(

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#51 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Valkyria Chronicles (more of a SRPG, just in JRPG style), Resonance of Fate, Tales of Graces F, and Eternal Sonata are the cream of the crop. I don't care for Demon's/Dark Souls, but I recognize their popularity and value. Ni no Kuni looks awesome as well.

Everything else is below average to crap. Especially the god awful Star Ocean and all those terrible NISA games.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]Man, if you are goin to diss on Lost Odyssey then you arent a rpg fan. But still, its your opinion.

ristactionjakso

First off Fable 2 and 3 are not even JRPG's at all. Lost Odyssey had quite a few technical issues holding it back. The main characters barely says anything on the first disc. The guy did have amnesia, but the developers could have at least made him say things such "who am I?" Lost Odyssey was not a bad game, but so many other RPG's have that exact same setup, so why bother with Lost Odyssey in the first place? Blue Dragon was dumb. The characters themselves did not even attack at all, but summoned a dragon to do basically every move. Infinite Undiscovery was so boring. The combo system was not deep at all. The dungeons had stupid puzzles. Having to kill a bat and snake in a specific area for the boss door to open up was tedious, and not fun at all. Vesperia was an awesome game. but all the rest of the JRPG's that the other system offers are not that great at all. Ni No Kuni and Tales of Xillia look to be better than any of the JRPG's mentioned above. If I want medieval game like Lost Odyssey on PS3, then I will just play White Knight Chronicles. The second game is supposed to have an updated version of the first game on the disc, so why should Playstation owners even care about Lost Odyssey.

So? Fable counts as legit RPG's. And I've yet to see any of these technical issues in Lost Odyssey. It is probably the most story heavy and emotionally powerful game Ive ever played. Ive beat WKC 1, the story and characters are the most boring compared to any rpg you can think of. WKC 2 never fixed any of that. You havent obviously made it past the first disc in Lost Odyssey if you think it shouldnt be cared about. Its basically what FF 13 should have been.

The only ps3 exclusive rpg's I can recommend are Valkyria Chronicles and Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll. Tales of Graces f is a ps3 exclusive in USA, has a awesome combat system, but the emphasis on "friendship" is really over the top and kills what could be a great game. It's good, not great. Tales of Xillia looks good, hopefully better than Graces.

But I have both 360 and ps3, so I can buy the best games on each console.

If you cannot see the stuttering that Lost Odyssey has, then I do not know what to say. It is blatantly apparent. I made it to the third disc in Lost Odyssey. The story was just like every other JRPG that came before it. The game was very by the numbers. It was not bad, but nothing to write home about. If people want an RPG that follows the same formula that has been present since SNES, then yes by all means pick up Lost Odyssey. I want to move beyond the same old mercenaries have to save the kingdom. The whole two nations at war with one another has been done to death. A main character having amnesia at the beginning of a game was already done back in Final Fantasy 6. Final Fantasy 5 also had a character with amnesia as well. The difference between those games and Lost Odyssey is that the FF characters questioned what happened and so on. The main character in Lost Odyssey practically had no dialogue at the beginning of the game at all. It was not until later that his character really began to develop. You keep insinuating that I said Lost Odyssey is a poor game. All I said was that it played like a very traditional RPG that had a story extremely similar to games from the past. The game has technical issues, pure and simple. Everything I have said about Lost Odyssey is fact. Whether or not one likes the way the game plays out is an opinion. Lost Odyssey felt like a game from the past with up to date graphics. It is your typical turn based RPG. Personally. I think the JRPG genre can do better than what is doing right now, regardless of platform. JRPG's need new types of stories.

This is where Ni No kuni comes in. It is a story about a boy in search for a way to bring his dead mother back to life. It is cool that level 5 took a more personal approach to RPG's instead of the same industrial or medieval approach to the genre. Folklore also has a great story. It might not have the cinematic flash of other games this generation, but its story trumps any other in the RPG genre this generation. Folklore might not be an RPG per se, but the game is definitely worth checking out. The only gripe about it is that players have to play each level twice. The game can also feel a little repetitive due to going from room to room killing bad guys. Either way, people should definitely pick it up.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#53 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

Lost Odyssey was a great game. Some powerful moments in that game. There were a few technical issues, but no where near the point to where it really hurt the game. Prolly the best RPG I have played in the past 6, or so years. Blue Dragon only had a few good songs going for it. Namely (The Ruined Village, and Ruins)

But I too want to delve into some great RPGs on the ps3. (I just got one too)

We will be getting Folklore, and going through the FFXIII games. Reasonance of Fate, (even though played a little of it on 360 was kinda fun, but had to cut it short.)

But is there not an Atlus RPG on PS3, that isn't just a sequel to another? like a new original SMT? Is there one planned?

Lucky_Krystal

Atlus has mostly been focusing on handhelds for a while (P4 Golden on Vita, SMT IV and Devil Survivor Overclocked on 3DS, and Devil Survivor 2 on DS). Persona 5 is coming out for the PS3, but we don't know when at this point. I think its still in the early stages of development. Other than that, I'm not sure if they have anything else planned for the PS3.

Although, there is still Catherine for the PS3 and 360. It's not an RPG but its still pretty good. I'd reccomend it.

Are the Persona games linked, or are they separate stories like Final Fantasy?

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#54 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

[QUOTE="Lucky_Krystal"]

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

Lost Odyssey was a great game. Some powerful moments in that game. There were a few technical issues, but no where near the point to where it really hurt the game. Prolly the best RPG I have played in the past 6, or so years. Blue Dragon only had a few good songs going for it. Namely (The Ruined Village, and Ruins)

But I too want to delve into some great RPGs on the ps3. (I just got one too)

We will be getting Folklore, and going through the FFXIII games. Reasonance of Fate, (even though played a little of it on 360 was kinda fun, but had to cut it short.)

But is there not an Atlus RPG on PS3, that isn't just a sequel to another? like a new original SMT? Is there one planned?

Lach0121

Atlus has mostly been focusing on handhelds for a while (P4 Golden on Vita, SMT IV and Devil Survivor Overclocked on 3DS, and Devil Survivor 2 on DS). Persona 5 is coming out for the PS3, but we don't know when at this point. I think its still in the early stages of development. Other than that, I'm not sure if they have anything else planned for the PS3.

Although, there is still Catherine for the PS3 and 360. It's not an RPG but its still pretty good. I'd reccomend it.

Persona games are not linked. They share some attributes such as lore and actual personas, but the stories are separate.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#55 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

[QUOTE="Lucky_Krystal"]

yokofox33

Persona games are not linked. They share some attributes such as lore and actual personas, but the stories are separate.

Sweet thanks!

Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts
JRPGS are in decline for the big consoles, you have handhelds and wii for that.
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#57 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Another reason for me to pick up Wii U in next few months. (Of course, not counting my wife is a Nintendo girl and my new born will eventually be old enough to play it as well). ;)