PS3 games are too expensive

• 120 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zekere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 zekere
Member since 2003 • 2536 Posts

Maybe this should be a blog post , but i'll post it here . 70 bucks for a game is too much . A blu-ray costs 30 bucks . A PS3 game should be 40 quids . Sales of consoles AND software would rise skyhigh . I know games are expensive to make , but70 bucks is just too much . Discuss....

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
its not.. and anyone who remembers the cartridge days will agree with me... and considering the time it takes to make a game these days paying up to and over 100 people salary for 2 - 5 years without any profit its not to much to ask 70 dollars for a game...
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#3 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

If the game is good, then its worth it. Considering you get to keep it forever, and play it whenever you want

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts

I remember spending £45 for sonic 2 on the megadrive. Great game, but not value for money. What we get now opens doors.....

dinjo_jo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5 dinjo_jo
Member since 2008 • 691 Posts
Go Rental its cheaper
ekultus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ekultus
Member since 2010 • 1013 Posts
its not.. and anyone who remembers the cartridge days will agree with me... and considering the time it takes to make a game these days paying up to and over 100 people salary for 2 - 5 years without any profit its not to much to ask 70 dollars for a game...PoisoN_Facecam0
dont listen to this guy
osiris667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 osiris667
Member since 2005 • 484 Posts

70 quid = 100 dollars (more or less)

imo, that's way too much for a game

SaaM-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SaaM-x
Member since 2010 • 437 Posts

I don't know if you talking about £70 or $70. I am in the UK so I will go with £70. That is way too much. New releases in UK are £40.

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PoisoN_Facecam0
[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"]its not.. and anyone who remembers the cartridge days will agree with me... and considering the time it takes to make a game these days paying up to and over 100 people salary for 2 - 5 years without any profit its not to much to ask 70 dollars for a game...ekultus
dont listen to this guy

Why.. because i'm right? Game development this generation cost alot more than it did during any previous console generation and yet the games are still cheaper than the majority of games that came out back in the bit wars.. its just because alot more games come out now days that people want to buy more of them when really 70 bucks for a game isn't really that much considering the entertainment value you get out of it.. Just don't make bad game choices and you won't mind paying it, Paying 30 for a bluray that you'll watch probably twice ends up costing more per hour than pretty much any game will unless you just don't play it or like it.. but thats what demos are for...
hxczuner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 hxczuner
Member since 2009 • 2672 Posts

[QUOTE="ekultus"][QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"]its not.. and anyone who remembers the cartridge days will agree with me... and considering the time it takes to make a game these days paying up to and over 100 people salary for 2 - 5 years without any profit its not to much to ask 70 dollars for a game...PoisoN_Facecam0
dont listen to this guy

Why.. because i'm right? Game development this generation cost alot more than it did during any previous console generation and yet the games are still cheaper than the majority of games that came out back in the bit wars.. its just because alot more games come out now days that people want to buy more of them when really 70 bucks for a game isn't really that much considering the entertainment value you get out of it.. Just don't make bad game choices and you won't mind paying it, Paying 30 for a bluray that you'll watch probably twice ends up costing more per hour than pretty much any game will unless you just don't play it or like it.. but thats what demos are for...

You'll see above though that he said 70 quid. 70 quid is equal to over $100. Which, compared to America, is horribly inflated. $60 is equal to about 40 quid. Your point is valid, but so is the op's.

Avatar image for bobbleheadrogue
bobbleheadrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 bobbleheadrogue
Member since 2009 • 2203 Posts

starting shopping on the web :)

or buy second hand games :P

scar-hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 scar-hawk
Member since 2008 • 5404 Posts
[QUOTE="bobbleheadrogue"]

starting shopping on the web :)

or buy second hand games :P

Yeah I shop for games on Amazon now :)
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I just wait for the games to go down in price. I buy everything from Amazon. I think I paid $55 for one game right when it came out, but most of my games I get for $15 - $40. They're still just as fun even if you don't buy them on release day. I only buy them right away if it's something I'm extremely excited about.

I don't think $60 is an unfair price. You pay $10 for a DVD and watch it in one evening. With most games, I can play them every night for a couple of weeks.

Happy-Screamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Happy-Screamer
Member since 2007 • 467 Posts

I think it is more dependant on the content. For example I would be happy to pay £40 for something like Oblivion because it is a huge game with lots of replay value however you then get the greedy MW2 which costs more and has a short disappointing campaign and a poorly supported multiplayer. On top of that £10 for additional content even though you have spent a considerable amount on it.

P.S. I have never seen a game cost £70 maybe you are referring to $'s?

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#15 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

I don't know how much 70 quid is but I think that's around 100 bucks which is way too much. I don't mind paying sixty though as I've gotten over 100 hours on Fallout 3 and Uncharted 2, well worth the money.

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
The games are priced about right. Just think about the number of man hours involved with development and design of a game. Now add the benefits that companies have to give these people long after they retire from the company. Then the overhead of things like studios, sound stages/sound test grounds and the actors needed to create much of the virtual movements of the characters in the game. That's a lot of upfront money before seeing any returns. Just like movies that have big budgets but at least they start getting there money back much quicker than game developers.
wwefanforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#17 wwefanforlife
Member since 2006 • 3248 Posts

Some PS3 games are it depends where you shop I always look around for the best price it's like Super Street Fighter IV most game stores in the UK are selling it for £29.99/£24.99 while in ASDA a supermarket have it for about £19.71 which was a great price. Sometimes I don't regret paying the new full price just as long as I get my money worth out of it but I've been waiting for games to drop in price it's quite rare I'll buy a game on release but the next game I might get on release is Modnation.

Vic-Ferrari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Vic-Ferrari
Member since 2009 • 1637 Posts
It's no secret that video games are overpriced, but that's because people are willing to pay for them.
oajlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 oajlu
Member since 2006 • 2652 Posts

video game is not a necessarity like food, water and shelter. That means you arent going to die or get sick without it.

if you cant afford it or not willing to pay full price for new games, you can simply notget it. No one is forcing you to buy it.

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PoisoN_Facecam0

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"][QUOTE="ekultus"] dont listen to this guyhxczuner

You'll see above though that he said 70 quid. 70 quid is equal to over $100. Which, compared to America, is horribly inflated. $60 is equal to about 40 quid. Your point is valid, but so is the op's.

well he also said 70 bucks.. so yes, 70quid is a bit much, and idk where he lives but games in the UK usually go about 40-45 quid... He's just shopping at the worst places then or something...
xsynth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xsynth
Member since 2010 • 864 Posts
In NZ, it's $130 on average, which is ~$90US, so I just wait and get second hand versions for about half price
Liams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Liams
Member since 2003 • 1704 Posts

The most I'll pay for a game is €60 and if a game I want is more than that I'll wait until it does come down in price. I live in Ireland but I would spend a good bit of time in the UK and I have to say I've never seen a game for £70. In fact the most expensive game I've seen here in Ireland is €70 (that's around £60) I'd like to know where the TC found a game for £70

NTSC-U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NTSC-U
Member since 2008 • 490 Posts

Well if you are in the united states shop on craigslist bro, thats what i did when i was in new york bought xbox360 games for somewhat of a low price, like when GTAIV first came out it was $60 bought on CL for $35 which was awesome, some ppl post lower prices than others some abit closer to retail.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#24 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

What is a quid? Is that some sort of foriegn money?

co_oper182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 co_oper182
Member since 2010 • 173 Posts
If you think there too high then wait till the price drops simple. Supply and demand if people buy it at that price there not going to lower it ;)
hxczuner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 hxczuner
Member since 2009 • 2672 Posts

If i recall (correct if I'm wrong, friends across the pond) quid was a form of english currency at one point but now it's just slang for the pound.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#27 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

In America a good new PS3 game is $60

punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts

Maybe this should be a blog post , but i'll post it here . 70 bucks for a game is too much . A blu-ray costs 30 bucks . A PS3 game should be 40 quids . Sales of consoles AND software would rise skyhigh . I know games are expensive to make , but70 bucks is just too much . Discuss....

zekere
E-bay is your friend learn to use it.
MURDA_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MURDA_B
Member since 2008 • 2879 Posts

yes.....thats why i only have 8 games because i pay $64 and thats too much....thats why i wait awhile before i buy a new game.

theM3rcenary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 theM3rcenary
Member since 2009 • 1042 Posts

I do think new PS3 games are expensive, I always buy used games from ebay and Amazon.

Zed_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Zed_11
Member since 2008 • 224 Posts

If i recall (correct if I'm wrong, friends across the pond) quid was a form of english currency at one point but now it's just slang for the pound.

hxczuner

From across the pond: It's certainly slang for GBP, however I think it comes from the Latin phrase "quid pro quo" = something for something.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Prices outside NA are pretty ridiculous, but games have always been expensive.

GeneralHawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 GeneralHawx
Member since 2009 • 1853 Posts
well with the recession style around people want to save more, I myself am one of them
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Does a game REMAIN at 70 squid, or does that price eventually drop when the game's initial sell-through is spent and they're looking to clear shelves a bit?

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

You seem to be from the UK. With a bit of patience and some price comparison websites, I don't see what the problem is. I made it my personal rule to never buy a game above £19.99 and it's working out fine so far. Actually, I am still way behind on my games, even with the strict rules I set for myself. Anyway, try this price comparison website if your wallet is suffering too much.

Zed_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zed_11
Member since 2008 • 224 Posts

You seem to be from the UK. With a bit of patience and some price comparison websites, I don't see what the problem is. I made it my personal rule to never buy a game above £19.99 and it's working out fine so far. Actually, I am still way behind on my games, even with the strict rules I set for myself. Anyway, try this price comparison website if your wallet is suffering too much.

Hexagon_777

This is a good shout. I purchase on a similar basis and also use that website. It's pretty reliable actually.

GeneralHawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 GeneralHawx
Member since 2009 • 1853 Posts

Does a game REMAIN at 70 squid, or does that price eventually drop when the game's initial sell-through is spent and they're looking to clear shelves a bit?

MonkeySpot
some games don't like COD4 until recently it dropped in price
WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

Where I live (in the US), Ps3 and 360 games are $60 new, and some are cheaper (ie older or 3D dot heroes).

Wii games are $50, PC games are often around the same but cheaper

DS and PSP games are about $30-$40 new.

Not very expensive compared to what you are all paying for, but still expensive.

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts
[QUOTE="osiris667"]

70 quid = 100 dollars (more or less)

imo, that's way too much for a game

oh wow. i thought 70 quid was 35 bucks. how do you change ur vote?
jdiamnz69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40 jdiamnz69
Member since 2007 • 1469 Posts

All games are expenisve. Seriously, I hate paying $60 for a game, even if its good,its not worth 60 dollars, its a game.

rahul_batta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 rahul_batta
Member since 2004 • 1363 Posts

All games are expenisve. Seriously, I hate paying $60 for a game, even if its good,its not worth 60 dollars, its a game.

jdiamnz69
It depends, I think if I can spend 10 bucks for a movie that last 2 hours, spending 6 times that for 6 time gameplay it is. Again not all games are 12 hours, or give you that much fun, but i think if they are fun, and you spend a great deal of time on it, then its worth it
fifamessi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 fifamessi
Member since 2009 • 825 Posts
70 quid?? like 70 pounds?? thats way too much. games here are 100$ which is around 35pounds.
volume_three

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 volume_three
Member since 2005 • 2142 Posts

its not.. and anyone who remembers the cartridge days will agree with me... and considering the time it takes to make a game these days paying up to and over 100 people salary for 2 - 5 years without any profit its not to much to ask 70 dollars for a game...PoisoN_Facecam0

Damn right! Current average retail cost in Australian dollars for a new game: $99. Cost of Mortal Kombat in Australia for Sega Megadrive (Genesis) upon release: $140.

volume_three

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 volume_three
Member since 2005 • 2142 Posts

70 quid?? like 70 pounds?? thats way too much. games here are 100$ which is around 35pounds.fifamessi

LOL Didn't even see the word quid. Hell yeah 70 pounds is too much to be paying for a game! I'd even consider 35 pounds too much. Do yourself a favor and try your luck on ebay. I purchase all my games from ebay stores located in the UK and pay no more than 25-30 pounds which also includes shipping.

KapG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KapG
Member since 2007 • 1037 Posts

when I had my n64 I bought the first mario party for around 89.99$

Mind you I wouldn't pay 70 quid for any game. Has to be decent lol.

Avatar image for redlightstudios
redlightstudios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 redlightstudios
Member since 2010 • 570 Posts

well obviously, you live in the wrong country. Move to the United States and you'll be happier either way

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

yea, i kinda agree. but that's probably because i used to game on pc, where games usually cost around 50. but it doesn't really bother me. i can always settle for pre-owned or older titles. and if something new comes along and it's REALLY good (i'm hoping RDR will be it), i actually don't mind paying all that money.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#48 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
70 GBP is somewhere around $105... which is insane. Prices like that would basically force myself and most among my circle of friends into piracy.
Go Rental its cheaperdinjo_jo
Easily said... sadly for me, the nearest place that even rents games is more than 20 miles away, making it wholly impractical.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

[QUOTE="fifamessi"]70 quid?? like 70 pounds?? thats way too much. games here are 100$ which is around 35pounds.volume_three
LOL Didn't even see the word quid. Hell yeah 70 pounds is too much to be paying for a game! I'd even consider 35 pounds too much. Do yourself a favor and try your luck on ebay. I purchase all my games from ebay stores located in the UK and pay no more than 25-30 pounds which also includes shipping.

I tend to avoid eBay and just let my price comparison websites tell me where to buy my games new. Free shipping isn't anything special anymore either since nearly every online retailer in the UK has it. I love it.

bigboss1203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50 bigboss1203
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

I happen to think at times $60 is too much for games, depending on how much replay value and worth it has. I paid $60 for KOF13 and regret so so so much!