PS3 Flashing Red Light Problems...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SamLloyd96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SamLloyd96
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
What does that flashing red light mean? It doesn't let me turn the PS3 on when it's happening. It has done it 7 times now, it usually fixes itself after an hour or so, but it is getting on my nerves. Is there any way to fix it without sending the PS3 into Sony? Thanks.
jshaas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 jshaas
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts
Are you trying to turn it off in the middle of a game, or while a disc is in operation? How long does the flashing last? Is there a beeping along with the flashing? Usually it means you've turned off the PS3 while something was running on it. It's like a computer... best to quit everything you're doing and then shut down.
SamLloyd96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SamLloyd96
Nahh, it just shuts down on it's own at random times and the Standby light just flashes.
grand17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 grand17
Member since 2007 • 2079 Posts
what model do you have? is there a yellow light at any point? ive had ylod 3x now...
SamLloyd96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SamLloyd96
It's the 40gig model. And never had yellow light.
jshaas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 jshaas
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts
Nahh, it just shuts down on it's own at random times and the Standby light just flashes.SamLloyd96
Very odd indeed. Your best bet would be to call Sony though.
Mackey18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mackey18
Member since 2007 • 362 Posts
I am having exactly the same problem. Any news? It only just started happening now.
DJCUEBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DJCUEBALL
Member since 2008 • 2562 Posts
This just happened to me last night and my Black Ops game is stuck in it and I can't get it out. After doing some research and calling a local game store to fix this, it seems it's overheated. You either need to use your warranty and call Sony or get it repaired or get a new slim one.
Kane04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kane04
Member since 2006 • 2115 Posts
(...)it seems it's overheated(...)DJCUEBALL
this is the most likely scenario for you guys, no room is enough room for the PS3, specially the fat ones, you have to be able to fit another at the top and that still isn't enough. Trust me i tried and tested this to see how much time till the fan got at 100% and your best bet is probably to sit her on the coffee table while you play or just put it vertically on the ground in front of the TV.
IceBlazerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 IceBlazerX
Member since 2010 • 3286 Posts
Which model is it?
DJCUEBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DJCUEBALL
Member since 2008 • 2562 Posts
[QUOTE="DJCUEBALL"](...)it seems it's overheated(...)Kane04
this is the most likely scenario for you guys, no room is enough room for the PS3, specially the fat ones, you have to be able to fit another at the top and that still isn't enough. Trust me i tried and tested this to see how much time till the fan got at 100% and your best bet is probably to sit her on the coffee table while you play or just put it vertically on the ground in front of the TV.

Mine was in a completely open area with nothing around it. Not even in a cabinet or anything. It lasted me 3+ years... I guess it's time to buy a new one for me.
ksire_68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ksire_68
Member since 2007 • 1211 Posts

Your ps3 is just overheating. Make sure your ps3 has some space around it for it to disperse the heat. Don't keep it in an enclosed area.

xboxfreak1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xboxfreak1
Member since 2004 • 461 Posts

This just happened to me this morning - noooo! I have had my 60gb since launch and this is the first time it's acted up on me. I have read other places that it might be due to overheating, but it's winter time and probably 60 degrees in my basement, so I don't see how it could be that. It's been off all night too. Maybe it's just its time.

I just bought a 2nd ps3 on Black Friday and was looking forward to having 2, but alas, it looks like I'll probably just have 1. I'm not going to give up on it though, I've been giving it CPR every 20 minutes.

gashead101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gashead101
Member since 2005 • 1130 Posts

This exact thing happened to my 60gb ps3 about 2 weeks ago and about 3 days after it did it for the first time i got the yellow light and my fifa 11 is stuck inside. i recommend making back ups of your saves etc asap. my ps3 did it despite having loads of room to breathe so it wasnt overheating from a lack of space :(

Kilo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kilo90
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
YLOD is probably your Hd going out, I've already replaced that when i got it on my 80gb, now i've got the RLOD, trying to find answers on my issue.
KurupSoldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 KurupSoldr
Member since 2006 • 4094 Posts

your ps3 is dead, my 60gb did this about a month ago and it has never turned back on since.( i hit the power button it makes a couple beepsand just flashes red)Call sony or go to the website and get ready to send it in for repair and pay for it, also they will not send the game back just a refund of the game. It sucks this happened to me right in the middle of a game too but i opened mine and took it out