ps3 doesnt have disc tray?????????

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Chris_Gent_1234
Chris_Gent_1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Chris_Gent_1234
Member since 2006 • 488 Posts
is it true the ps3 doesnt have a disc tray but it has the thing like in a car and you just push it in and eject????
damagooon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 damagooon
Member since 2004 • 3326 Posts

its called a disk feeder...

PS3 leaves the disk tray to consoles of this gen.  

BabblePhish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 BabblePhish
Member since 2003 • 455 Posts
no tray, just feeder like ^^^^ said.
Avatar image for Chris_Gent_1234
Chris_Gent_1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Chris_Gent_1234
Member since 2006 • 488 Posts
thats gonna be sweet
hailltoyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hailltoyou
Member since 2005 • 1493 Posts
Yea you feed the disc and it comes out in small stripes, like paper does in the paper shredder  :lol:  j/k
Bladex2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bladex2k
Member since 2003 • 2755 Posts
no cd tray it will use a feeder like car stereos
Game-o_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Game-o_O
Member since 2005 • 2275 Posts
Don't worry, Blu-Rays are more scratch/fingerprint&dust resistant, and has a scratch technology that makes it almost impossible to ruin.  Screwdriver aproved ;).  Btw, you've seen the slim right, if thats current-gen then it doesn't use a disc tray.

Disc trays suck, its one of the reasons I had to get a slim lol.  I'll love using a Disc feeder [for the first time[, theres also a button under it for eject.  You wanna see something more interesting?  Look at the left side of the PS3, whats that 'UMD' shape tray looking thing for ;)
Sambo234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sambo234
Member since 2003 • 547 Posts
You wanna see something more interesting? Look at the left side of the PS3, whats that 'UMD' shape tray looking thing for ;)Game-o_O

You can dream.
dawnnoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 dawnnoob
Member since 2006 • 948 Posts
how u know?
Jeezy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jeezy03
Member since 2005 • 287 Posts
i hated the disk tray especially when they broke.
meg431

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 meg431
Member since 2005 • 2875 Posts

No disk tray, thats awesome.

spark_212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 spark_212
Member since 2005 • 1546 Posts

Look at the left side of the PS3, whats that 'UMD' shape tray looking thing for ;)Game-o_O

Can you provide a pic?
I found one: www.ps3updates.com/kaigai34.jpg

chaos386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 chaos386
Member since 2002 • 3137 Posts
What's so amazing about a feeder drive? I've never been in my car and thought to myself, 'boy, I wish my computer's/consoles' disc drives were like this!'
TE_Lawrence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TE_Lawrence
Member since 2005 • 6934 Posts

What's so amazing about a feeder drive? I've never been in my car and thought to myself, 'boy, I wish my computer's/consoles' disc drives were like this!' chaos386

Less parts for you to break and no way of putting the disc in wronly( unless you turn it around:lol: ).

Plus it has a much more  cool look. The PS3 is trying to become something you have in the livingroom and are proud of showing to others.

IsmirZone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 IsmirZone
Member since 2006 • 1173 Posts

Yea you feed the disc and it comes out in small stripes, like paper does in the paper shredder  :lol:  j/k hailltoyou

That would not be a bad feature.

kozanecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 kozanecki
Member since 2002 • 7307 Posts
negatory
Moonblade128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Moonblade128
Member since 2004 • 54 Posts
[QUOTE="Game-o_O"]
Look at the left side of the PS3, whats that 'UMD' shape tray looking thing for ;)spark_212

Can you provide a pic?

It looks more like a 'detachable HDD' tray to me.
-CMG-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -CMG-
Member since 2002 • 4804 Posts

I think I might be in the minority here but this is bad move - Those disc feeders are much more susceptible to breaking and normal wear and tear than a top loading system.  I really wish they would go with a more traditional set up.  There are allot of mechanical parts in those disc feed systems that can break.  Disc trays like the Xboxes or even better the PS2's top loading system are much more reliable and add less to manufacturing costs.  I like the PS2's Slim lines set up best.  Nothing to break or wear out there.

Killer_Cyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Killer_Cyborg
Member since 2003 • 2814 Posts
[QUOTE="Moonblade128"]
[QUOTE="Game-o_O"]
Look at the left side of the PS3, whats that 'UMD' shape tray looking thing for ;)spark_212

Can you provide a pic?

It looks more like a 'detachable HDD' tray to me.

Yeah, but the original poster was probably talking about the compact flash slot on the left part of the front. Which could look like a UMD slot to someone who never saw a CF one.
hellscovern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 hellscovern
Member since 2003 • 2872 Posts

I think I might be in the minority here but this is bad move - Those disc feeders are much more susceptible to breaking and normal wear and tear than a top loading system.  I really wish they would go with a more traditional set up.  There are allot of mechanical parts in those disc feed systems that can break.  Disc trays like the Xboxes or even better the PS2's top loading system are much more reliable and add less to manufacturing costs.  I like the PS2's Slim lines set up best.  Nothing to break or wear out there.

-CMG-

They only break if you miss use them like anything else, i have used one in my car for 5 years now without problems, the problem with disc trays is they can cause scratches on discs as the disc rubs against the tray as it spins, you dont get that problem with slot loading as there is nothing for the disc to rub against, and it actually costs less to make a slot loading system than a tray.  also the problem with top loading systems such as the PS1 and slim PS2 is that the lens is exposed and can be damaged more easily a problem you dont get with slot or tray loading.  

chaos386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chaos386
Member since 2002 • 3137 Posts

[QUOTE="chaos386"]What's so amazing about a feeder drive? I've never been in my car and thought to myself, 'boy, I wish my computer's/consoles' disc drives were like this!' TE_Lawrence

Less parts for you to break and no way of putting the disc in wronly( unless you turn it around:lol: ).

Plus it has a much more cool look. The PS3 is trying to become something you have in the livingroom and are proud of showing to others.

Meh, maybe I'm just weird, then. I think trays look just as cool as feeders, since they have a transformers-esque quality going for them. :P

[QUOTE="-CMG-"]
I think I might be in the minority here but this is bad move - Those disc feeders are much more susceptible to breaking and normal wear and tear than a top loading system. I really wish they would go with a more traditional set up. There are allot of mechanical parts in those disc feed systems that can break. Disc trays like the Xboxes or even better the PS2's top loading system are much more reliable and add less to manufacturing costs. I like the PS2's Slim lines set up best. Nothing to break or wear out there.

hellscovern

They only break if you miss use them like anything else, i have used one in my car for 5 years now without problems, the problem with disc trays is they can cause scratches on discs as the disc rubs against the tray as it spins, you dont get that problem with slot loading as there is nothing for the disc to rub against, and it actually costs less to make a slot loading system than a tray. also the problem with top loading systems such as the PS1 and slim PS2 is that the lens is exposed and can be damaged more easily a problem you dont get with slot or tray loading.

Please tell me you're joking. :shock:
Jalvlez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jalvlez
Member since 2005 • 2849 Posts
the eject and reset button look touch sensitive!
SXG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SXG
Member since 2003 • 1766 Posts
Yea you feed the disc and it comes out in small stripes, like paper does in the paper shredder :lol: j/k hailltoyou

lol wouldn't that just plain suck :P

"Games can only be played once and in one drive before they are shredded right before your eyes!"
LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 LTomlinson21
Member since 2004 • 24423 Posts

The only bad thing is, what happens when it gets stuck?

Cause on trays you can pull them out.

kiwidust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 kiwidust
Member since 2005 • 355 Posts

-CMG-
You make some fine points but I'm nottoo worried. Sony has been building feeder system for car stereos for over a decade now - and it's hard to see a more inhosptiable environment for something like this than a car. Constant vibration, temperature extremes, distracted users, etc - if they can make them reliable in a car they can definately make them reliable in a console. ;^) As for me (and I don't think I'm odd here) I think it's also likely that people don't change the disc in a game console as much as music players overall. Some do, I'm sure, but I think most people pop in a game and play it through (I've not had "Dragon Quest VIII" out of my system for over a month). I'm sure there are exceptions (and I'm sure that like the PS2 the fact that the PS3 will double as a movie viewer will increase the "traffic" into the drive) but overall I think it's a safe bet.
jamestclark29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jamestclark29
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
The revolution is using a disk feeder as well. And it glows!
spr4yp4int

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 spr4yp4int
Member since 2004 • 1296 Posts
Btw, you've seen the slim right, if thats current-gen then it doesn't use a disc tray.Game-o_O
And if it's next-gen does it have a tray then? =] XD
Eman5805

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Eman5805
Member since 2004 • 4494 Posts

[QUOTE="hailltoyou"]Yea you feed the disc and it comes out in small stripes, like paper does in the paper shredder  :lol:  j/k IsmirZone

That would not be a bad feature.

especially for those bad games... "Man this game sucks" *click* *shred*

marco_basaglia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 marco_basaglia
Member since 2004 • 1697 Posts
[QUOTE="Game-o_O"]

Can you provide a pic?

I doubt it. The left side of the PS3 is allso its bottom side when you stand it vertically. If it were a UMD disc tray, it would only be able to play when the PS3 is placed horizontally which I dont think is Sony's ambition. It would allso be a very big inconvenience.
cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cikame
Member since 2004 • 1010 Posts
aww man, i've seen disc feeders but never used em, yey
"here little sony, have a donut"
*chomp*
"Wheee!"
Ontario21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ontario21
Member since 2004 • 374 Posts
How do disk feeders work? Where is the feeder coming in contact with the disk? On the sides or is there a roller rolling over the top and bottom of the disk? If so can you scratch the disk if you push it in ot pull it out while it's either taking it in or ejecting it?
daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts
it has a self loading drive!
ludacriss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ludacriss
Member since 2005 • 1150 Posts
I think it's better this way. Sometimes the disc tray of the ps2 didn't want to come out. Especially when you don't use it for some time.
andrewkozis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#34 andrewkozis
Member since 2005 • 3336 Posts
my dvds like that nd its really cool !
joeyp7711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#35 joeyp7711
Member since 2005 • 3903 Posts
is it true the ps3 doesnt have a disc tray but it has the thing like in a car and you just push it in and eject????Chris_Gent_1234
Wanna cookie?
him4226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 him4226
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
hmm thats intresting and all but that type of set up will defiently break alot faster then just the regular set up like on the thin playstation 2 ive gone threw a few of thoes in the last couple of years with my car they dont last very long they are far to easy to destroy they should have just done the same thing with the ps3 like on the thin ps2 how dissapointing
joeyp7711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#37 joeyp7711
Member since 2005 • 3903 Posts
Cost me £50 to get my car repaired after is decided to accept a disc while it already had one. SOB, BMW should've put that one together better, unless this was a trick, so that they secretly wanted people to do that, so they could binge £50. Oh, and yeah, 'binge' in my language covers a wide range of definitions :P
FatalDomain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FatalDomain
Member since 2005 • 1783 Posts

[QUOTE="-CMG-"]

kiwidust
You make some fine points but I'm nottoo worried. Sony has been building feeder system for car stereos for over a decade now - and it's hard to see a more inhosptiable environment for something like this than a car. Constant vibration, temperature extremes, distracted users, etc - if they can make them reliable in a car they can definately make them reliable in a console. ;^) As for me (and I don't think I'm odd here) I think it's also likely that people don't change the disc in a game console as much as music players overall. Some do, I'm sure, but I think most people pop in a game and play it through (I've not had "Dragon Quest VIII" out of my system for over a month). I'm sure there are exceptions (and I'm sure that like the PS2 the fact that the PS3 will double as a movie viewer will increase the "traffic" into the drive) but overall I think it's a safe bet.

I understand your point of view, but Im sure you wont put in the hours on your car stereo as you would on your PS3. Also when an errors occur with disk feed systems (pc or audio system) it takes the patience of a surgeon to get the disk to eject. As we all know most casual gamers are a bunch of idiots when it comes down to troubleshooting a problem with a system. Im sure you will get a few brainiacs who will flip the PS3 horiz/vert during gameplay. Also, blu-rays drives may not be as stress resistent as a dvd player. When new technology is introduced, you have to be very delicate with the products.While the disk feed system makes for a innovative/furturistic look, it may cause more problems in the future.

Game On.....

NismoNissan41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NismoNissan41
Member since 2003 • 432 Posts
PS3 has a disc feeder, no disc tray.
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 eclipsed4utoo
Member since 2006 • 10578 Posts

PS3 has a disc feeder, no disc tray.NismoNissan41

wow...a year and a half old topic that you felt the need to bring back to life....for what? to regurgitate answers that were already given?

WongB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WongB
Member since 2004 • 1701 Posts

Lol pretty sad...anwering an answered question that is a year old.