PS3 died last night

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ishot2PAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ishot2PAC
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
And I call in today to find out they want me to pay 150$ for a refurbished system yet only give me a 90 day warranty. I've been a loyal customer to sony since ps1 and I'm pretty sure this is the end of me playing their system. I spent $600 for it and it died in two years why the hell would i spend 150$ more for 90 days of warranty? I'm PISSED to say the least. Pretty beat if you ask me, xbox may have actually been the better choice because if i pay 150 i will have spent a total of 750 on the system alone. I can't believe they can make a system that cant last 2 years and expect the customer to foot the bill when it **** the bed. Good luck with your playstations guys, either way I'm filing complaints with the BBB.
KapG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 KapG
Member since 2007 • 1037 Posts

And I call in today to find out they want me to pay 150$ for a refurbished system yet only give me a 90 day warranty. I've been a loyal customer to sony since ps1 and I'm pretty sure this is the end of me playing their system. I spent $600 for it and it died in two years why the hell would i spend 150$ more for 90 days of warranty? I'm PISSED to say the least. Pretty beat if you ask me, xbox may have actually been the better choice because if i pay 150 i will have spent a total of 750 on the system alone. I can't believe they can make a system that cant last 2 years and expect the customer to foot the bill when it **** the bed. Good luck with your playstations guys, either way I'm filing complaints with the BBB.Ishot2PAC

I would ask to talk with a manager and explain the situation. If its the YLOD then you will have a case. Clearly this is happening more and more and sony needs to step up and stop making their loyal customers pay for faulty engineering on their part. If they don't want to help you out, threaten them that you will take them to the BBB. I have heard it has worked in the past...

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
I purchased 2 60GB models, one on launch day. Both run perfectly fine.
KapG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 KapG

I purchased 2 60GB models, one on launch day. Both run perfectly fine.emitsu97

Thats good, lots of people ARE having problems with their models though and sony IS jerking them around, much like Microsoft was with their clients.

Sony needs to foot the bills on these repairs, not the consumer.

Ishot2PAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ishot2PAC
Filinf the complaint as we speak with the BBB. They played stupid about the yellow light and said it has nothing to do with anything just the red blinking lights after the "yellow" light is the problem and means it must come in. I spoke to a manajor and he gave me the same crap about me paying 150$ for a refurbished one. He was also a giant prick I called back one minute ago to get the supervisors name but he wouldn't give me his last name. So I know his name is Rich and I ended up asking the right person and gt his ID# which is 8364. So right now I'm doing whatever I can on as many sites as possible.
Rappitfire_CQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Rappitfire_CQ
Member since 2007 • 182 Posts

The same thing happened to my PS3 last week, I also paid 600.00 for minds and it barely lasted two years. It stopped ready disc after i downloaded that 2.76 firmware update, but the good thing is that i can still play games on my HD, like SOCOM, Warhawk, Tekken 5DR AND WipEoutHD. I agree, its not right; why should we have to pay 149.99 to have it fixed when it wasn't our fault.

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 emitsu97

[QUOTE="emitsu97"]I purchased 2 60GB models, one on launch day. Both run perfectly fine.KapG

Thats good, lots of people ARE having problems with their models though and sony IS jerking them around, much like Microsoft was with their clients.

Official numbers please.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 emitsu97
Filinf the complaint as we speak with the BBB. They played stupid about the yellow light and said it has nothing to do with anything just the red blinking lights after the "yellow" light is the problem and means it must come in. I spoke to a manajor and he gave me the same crap about me paying 150$ for a refurbished one. He was also a giant prick I called back one minute ago to get the supervisors name but he wouldn't give me his last name. So I know his name is Rich and I ended up asking the right person and gt his ID# which is 8364. So right now I'm doing whatever I can on as many sites as possible.Ishot2PAC
YLOD is a consumer created name designed to mimic the name of the problem MS was having. The generic trouble diagnosis probably does in fact come from the series of blinking red light. As for the refurb, all posted cases of 60GB models being repaired have been remedied with another 60GB if not the same repaired unit that was sent in.
qbamike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 qbamike
Member since 2007 • 61 Posts

X BOX last even less time ( 3 rings of death ). good luck with that one

KapG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KapG

[QUOTE="KapG"]

[QUOTE="emitsu97"]I purchased 2 60GB models, one on launch day. Both run perfectly fine.emitsu97

Official numbers please.

I dont have any specific numbers, but judging by the amount of "my ps3 just died" threads we get here a day, I would say the number IS high.

As for the manager saying the blinking light means you have to take it in. what a douche. Of course it means you have to bring it in, BECAUSE THE THING OVER HEATED AND NO LONGER WILL WORK BECAUSE OF FAULTY DESIGN.

ehsan8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 ehsan8888
Member since 2007 • 2303 Posts

It's okay, they did that with my iPod and they said I had a month for a warranty. When my PSP broke, I sent a letter and stated the problems, and I got a new one that went over my warranty. Try that out and good luck. And be careful with Microsoft, my friend has been through 3 Xbox 360's.

Ishot2PAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ishot2PAC
x box extended their warranty and aren't making the customer foot the bill.
raphokon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 raphokon

RIP

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

That's what you get for shooting Tupac.

KapG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KapG

[QUOTE="Ishot2PAC"]Filinf the complaint as we speak with the BBB. They played stupid about the yellow light and said it has nothing to do with anything just the red blinking lights after the "yellow" light is the problem and means it must come in. I spoke to a manajor and he gave me the same crap about me paying 150$ for a refurbished one. He was also a giant prick I called back one minute ago to get the supervisors name but he wouldn't give me his last name. So I know his name is Rich and I ended up asking the right person and gt his ID# which is 8364. So right now I'm doing whatever I can on as many sites as possible.emitsu97
YLOD is a consumer created name designed to mimic the name of the problem MS was having. The generic trouble diagnosis probably does in fact come from the series of blinking red light. As for the refurb, all posted cases of 60GB models being repaired have been remedied with another 60GB if not the same repaired unit that was sent in.

The bottom line is that they shouldn't be overheating in the first place. It is a result of faulty design. So the consumer now has to foot that bill because the designers didn't think it all out?

Ishot2PAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ishot2PAC
Guys, what else can I do? I just filed my better business bureau complaint and posted this info on 2 sites now, where can I go to actually make a difference or am I screwed? I'm not paying 150$ for the problem in their design. Now I have a broken ps3 and a bunch of games...
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 emitsu97
The bottom line is that they shouldn't be overheating in the first place. It is a result of faulty design. So the consumer now has to foot that bill because the designers didn't think it all out?KapG
Who said anything about overheating? I don't recall a specific statement as to what the actual problem was unless blinking lights qualifies.
KapG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KapG

Guys, what else can I do? I just filed my better business bureau complaint and posted this info on 2 sites now, where can I go to actually make a difference or am I screwed? I'm not paying 150$ for the problem in their design. Now I have a broken ps3 and a bunch of games...Ishot2PAC

I am not really sure what else you can do. Try talking to sony again, just go straight to a manager this time. I dont know!!

KapG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KapG

[QUOTE="KapG"]The bottom line is that they shouldn't be overheating in the first place. It is a result of faulty design. So the consumer now has to foot that bill because the designers didn't think it all out?emitsu97
Who said anything about overheating? I don't recall a specific statement as to what the actual problem was unless blinking lights qualifies.

From what I have read, the YLOD arrises because of overheating issues. Of course SONY is not going to come out with an official statement. If they did that than they would SURELY be forced to pay for all of the repairs.

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 emitsu97
x box extended their warranty and aren't making the customer foot the bill.Ishot2PAC
Step 1 to avoiding a class action lawsuit.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 emitsu97

From what I have read, the YLOD arrises because of overheating issues. Of course SONY is not going to come out with an official statement. If they did that than they would SURELY be forced to pay for all of the repairs.

KapG

So then the claims calculation based on "the amount of "my ps3 just died" threads we get here a day" are really more a guesstimate than anything else. Accepted manufacturing defect yields are 3-5%. Anyone know how many PS3 units have been sold at retail and what 3-5% of that comes to? I'll give you a guesstimate of way more than the number of posts you've read, probably even including every response in the thread.

KapG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KapG

[QUOTE="Ishot2PAC"]x box extended their warranty and aren't making the customer foot the bill.emitsu97
Step 1 to avoiding a class action lawsuit.

yet you want to bust my bawls for saying that sony should not be making the customers foot the bill. Are you looking to have a pissing contest on these boards?

KapG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KapG

[QUOTE="KapG"]From what I have read, the YLOD arrises because of overheating issues. Of course SONY is not going to come out with an official statement. If they did that than they would SURELY be forced to pay for all of the repairs.

emitsu97

So then the claims calculation based on "the amount of "my ps3 just died" threads we get here a day" are really more a guesstimate than anything else. Accepted manufacturing defect yields are 3-5%. Anyone know how many PS3 units have been sold at retail and what 3-5% of that comes to? I'll give you a guesstimate of way more than the number of posts you've read, probably even including every response in the thread.

Another thing, there has already been one thread started by a member of these boards with regards to the YLOD and Sony. He talked to a manager, explained the situation and ended up getting his fixed for free. Now, why would Sony go ahead and fix it for free (after being threatened to be reported to the BBB) if it was not adesign problem?

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 emitsu97
yet you want to bust my bawls for saying that sony should not be making the customers foot the bill. Are you looking to have a pissing contest on these boards?KapG
Eh? The MS problem was in fact a problem. Even the low balled 16% defect yield is triple the high end of the accepted rate and the extended warranty was enacted only after a huge escalation.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 emitsu97

Another thing, there has already been one thread started by a member of these boards with regards to the YLOD and Sony. He talked to a manager, explained the situation and ended up getting his fixed for free. Now, why would Sony go ahead and fix it for free (after being threatened to be reported to the BBB) if it was not adesign problem?KapG
Individual claims handled by different reps, you're bound to get different responses and resolutions. I remember being on the 360 boards when I had mine and people complained about not getting a free game with their repair when others had. So? It's also sometimes easier to pacify an irrate customer than deal with the bologna they're going to fling. You know the whole squeaky wheel thing. That ultimately screws everything up for the rest of us.

Ishot2PAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ishot2PAC
Either way, this is the number 1-800-345-7669 The supervisor I spoke to was "rich" and he wouldn't give his last name, his ID number is 8364. If anyone calls thank you, I'm posting this on the other site too and have had people already complain about this. I'm begging people to call and complain because when this happens to you I would call. Sony shouldn't be getting away with this it's ridiculous.
SirOWNZalot86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SirOWNZalot86
Member since 2008 • 695 Posts

mine craped out on me like 5 months ago... thats why when you buy your system you buy the extended 3 year warranty, and you get a brand new unit! also i think ps2 BC is over rated... i would much rather have a brand new 80 gig than a used refurb 60 gig. if BC means so much to people i dont understand why they just dont spend $99 and get a new ps2 that is actually meant to play the format and doesnt look so grainy

KapG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KapG

Either way, this is the number 1-800-345-7669 The supervisor I spoke to was "rich" and he wouldn't give his last name, his ID number is 8364. If anyone calls thank you, I'm posting this on the other site too and have had people already complain about this. I'm begging people to call and complain because when this happens to you I would call. Sony shouldn't be getting away with this it's ridiculous.Ishot2PAC

Hey emitsu, when a supervisor won't give you their last name. Something is a tad fishy IMO

Rappitfire_CQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rappitfire_CQ

I start to think that Sony is intentually bricking peoples sytems in order to make more money, its unbelievable that my 600.00 60GB didn't even last two years; if you pay 600.00 for something it should last for at least for ten years.

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 emitsu97

Hey emitsu, when a supervisor won't give you their last name. Something is a tad fishy IMOKapG

Would you give your full name to someone who had access to the internet, a search engine, and was massively annoyed with you?

KapG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KapG

[QUOTE="KapG"]Hey emitsu, when a supervisor won't give you their last name. Something is a tad fishy IMOemitsu97

Would you give your full name to someone who had access to the internet, a search engine, and was massively annoyed with you?

Yeah you have a point there emitsu,you do! I suppose since his employee number was given it shouldnt really matter.

jraizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jraizer
Member since 2009 • 58 Posts

[QUOTE="Ishot2PAC"]Either way, this is the number 1-800-345-7669 The supervisor I spoke to was "rich" and he wouldn't give his last name, his ID number is 8364. If anyone calls thank you, I'm posting this on the other site too and have had people already complain about this. I'm begging people to call and complain because when this happens to you I would call. Sony shouldn't be getting away with this it's ridiculous.KapG

Hey emitsu, when a supervisor won't give you their last name. Something is a tad fishy IMO

You don't have to give out your last name and I don't understand why anyone would when the person on the other line is raging mad/completely upset.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 emitsu97

I start to think that Sony is intentually bricking peoples sytems in order to make more money, its unbelievable that my 600.00 60GB didn't even last two years; if you pay 600.00 for something it should last for at least for ten years.

Rappitfire_CQ
:| I wish anything more than $600.00 came with a 10 year warranty. :lol:
Ishot2PAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ishot2PAC
I'm on the line getting someone higher than the floor supervisor and I was lied to already by one of the 2 supervisors I have talked to already. They just keep saying warranty is up and i'm up the crick, this is how sony treats it's customers.
jraizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jraizer
[QUOTE="Rappitfire_CQ"]

emitsu97
:| I wish anything more than $600.00 came with a 10 year warranty. :lol:

Don't Kia's or Hyundai's have a 10 year warranty? ;p
KapG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KapG

I'm on the line getting someone higher than the floor supervisor and I was lied to already by one of the 2 supervisors I have talked to already. They just keep saying warranty is up and i'm up the crick, this is how sony treats it's customers.Ishot2PAC

dude, get to the highest possible person possible. A floor supervisor won't be able to make those decisions, it is going to probably have to be a senior manager for client services or something.

Best of luck

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 emitsu97
I'm on the line getting someone higher than the floor supervisor and I was lied to already by one of the 2 supervisors I have talked to already. They just keep saying warranty is up and i'm up the crick, this is how sony treats it's customers.Ishot2PAC
Actually that's how warranties work.
360hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 360hammer
Member since 2009 • 2596 Posts

And I call in today to find out they want me to pay 150$ for a refurbished system yet only give me a 90 day warranty. I've been a loyal customer to sony since ps1 and I'm pretty sure this is the end of me playing their system. I spent $600 for it and it died in two years why the hell would i spend 150$ more for 90 days of warranty? I'm PISSED to say the least. Pretty beat if you ask me, xbox may have actually been the better choice because if i pay 150 i will have spent a total of 750 on the system alone. I can't believe they can make a system that cant last 2 years and expect the customer to foot the bill when it **** the bed. Good luck with your playstations guys, either way I'm filing complaints with the BBB.Ishot2PAC

Try 5 months get a refurb NO WARRANTY on the refurb besides the time left on the original warranty which I lost 6 weeks of due to the repair process. So your logic of the 360 being a better deal is bogus. As far as the BBB good luck with that one.

Ishot2PAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ishot2PAC
I talked to the floor supervisor and spewed this crap to her and she took my number down and said that her boss will call within 48 hours. Now I have had a supervisor lie to me which I think will help my agenda.
360hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 360hammer
Member since 2009 • 2596 Posts

Rappitfire_CQ

LOL, well there was a M$ employee who stated they have a kill switch which was tested on the 360. While they deny ever using it the fact it's there and tested is BS. It supposed to pop a resister on the mainboard doing damage to the mainboard making it non repairable.

Rappitfire_CQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Rappitfire_CQ

I think it kind of strange how the system dies shortly after the warranty expires :question::question:

[QUOTE="Ishot2PAC"]I'm on the line getting someone higher than the floor supervisor and I was lied to already by one of the 2 supervisors I have talked to already. They just keep saying warranty is up and i'm up the crick, this is how sony treats it's customers.emitsu97
Actually that's how warranties work.

MURDA_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MURDA_B
Member since 2008 • 2879 Posts

this is happening to alot of people lately...hope sony say something about the ps3 problems at e3...because $150 is alot of money...i dont mind paying it but times are hard

Ishot2PAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ishot2PAC
Looks like i'll be sitting on my ps3 untill they come out and bight the bullet like microsoft did and admit faulty system design. I am going to be called though in the next 48 hours by a supervisors boss and am going to raise hell. I see in the future my name being black listed by sony. I'm leaning more toward I won't get this problem fixed for free but that's sony's problem, they lose a huge customer who's been playing since ps1. for a measly 150 they will probably lose thousands from me unless they just fixed it and I continue to buy games and sony products. Till then Sony is now blacklisted by me.
jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

Pay the $150for the refurband sell it on craigslist for $250. My first ps3 died I've been taking better care of my second I even vacume the dust out of it about once a month. The dust in my house is atrotious. I have to dust my PS3 and the desk it sits on every time before I play.

-Pidokenny-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 -Pidokenny-
Member since 2009 • 62 Posts

You could always go to youtube and foolishly attempt to "repair" your PS3. For me though, I would pay the $150. I mean, they're the experts, right. Or maybe if I can find someone who can repair it for me for less, I'd go to him/HER. :D

SirOWNZalot86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SirOWNZalot86
Member since 2008 • 695 Posts
Looks like i'll be sitting on my ps3 untill they come out and bight the bullet like microsoft did and admit faulty system design. I am going to be called though in the next 48 hours by a supervisors boss and am going to raise hell. I see in the future my name being black listed by sony. I'm leaning more toward I won't get this problem fixed for free but that's sony's problem, they lose a huge customer who's been playing since ps1. for a measly 150 they will probably lose thousands from me unless they just fixed it and I continue to buy games and sony products. Till then Sony is now blacklisted by me. Ishot2PAC
just pay $150 dude, its not a big deal... i mean you gotta do what you gotta do. or just stop gaming...
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 emitsu97
I think it kind of strange how the system dies shortly after the warranty expires :question::question:Rappitfire_CQ
So then what's the deal with the units that haven't broken?
Ishot2PAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ishot2PAC

figured out what I'm going to do. Go to wal mart, buy new ps3, return old ps3 and get my money back. I win Sony, I didn't pay your 150$ charge and I'm still waiting for the boss of SCEA in cali. to call me so I can laugh at him and tell him thank wal-mart for picking up the tab. Sony can s my d now.

Macri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Macri
Member since 2005 • 1278 Posts

figured out what I'm going to do. Go to wal mart, buy new ps3, return old ps3 and get my money back. I win Sony, I didn't pay your 150$ charge and I'm still waiting for the boss of SCEA in cali. to call me so I can laugh at him and tell him thank wal-mart for picking up the tab. Sony can s my d now.

Ishot2PAC
Thank won't work, the scan the serial number into the receipt. Unless they are incredibly stupid, they will see that the numbers don't match.
jraizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jraizer
[QUOTE="Ishot2PAC"]

Macri
Thank won't work, the scan the serial number into the receipt. Unless they are incredibly stupid, they will see that the numbers don't match.

Hey someone's returned a rock before. He may be able to find someone incredibly stupid there.