This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Versus_Terminus
Versus_Terminus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Versus_Terminus
Member since 2008 • 50 Posts
I have a huge collection of DVD's and i'm thinking of purchasing a uPNP server, instead of having the grueling task of converting them all to mp4 i'd like to make single vobs of each movie or tv show episode. The main problem I face at the moment is when I try to play a vob on the PS3 it says unsupported data where as other people have been reporting success. Any tips?
Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts
um.. the PS3 doesn't support VOB files, its not that hard to change them to MP4.. just google Red Kawa Video 9, and you can just add them all to the list and it'll just work away at converting them... a hour and a half DVD quality AVI file only takes me about an hour to convert.. shouldn't be too bad.. a couple days at most.
machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 machiavell8x8
Member since 2008 • 1399 Posts
i thought i had heard of some success with tversity and windows media player 11 combined somehow. I myself havn't been able to get tversity to send server info to my ps3 yet, but it does create a server and it does transform vobs into mpegs that wmp plays....so it seems very very possible, just gotta iron out the settings on everything i think
im_mr_brown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 im_mr_brown
Member since 2006 • 2970 Posts
just to let you know, the ps3 does play vob format. i use the program mkv2ps3 to convert mkv hd movies to vob, that way it loses no quality. but, that doesn't really help with your problem at all. sorry.
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 americahellyeah
just to let you know, the ps3 does play vob format. i use the program mkv2ps3 to convert mkv hd movies to vob, that way it loses no quality. but, that doesn't really help with your problem at all. sorry. im_mr_brown
won't play VOB files on mine... weird, i wish they could just get all the proper codecs on the system, converting all my anime from OGG sucks...
machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 machiavell8x8

just to let you know, the ps3 does play vob format. i use the program mkv2ps3 to convert mkv hd movies to vob, that way it loses no quality. but, that doesn't really help with your problem at all. sorry. im_mr_brown

your vob's on the ps3 hard drive, or external, or on PC using a media server?

Versus_Terminus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Versus_Terminus
that's annoying, you lose quality when converting to MP4 and it takes ages, 1 hr 30 mins to rip mp4 vs 10 mins to rip VOB
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 americahellyeah
that's annoying, you lose quality when converting to MP4 and it takes ages, 1 hr 30 mins to rip mp4 vs 10 mins to rip VOBVersus_Terminus
really i rip MP4 files all the time and lose no quality.. you must be doing it wrong :P
Versus_Terminus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Versus_Terminus
going from one compressed format to one with even more compression, you do lose quality
machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 machiavell8x8
yah gotta do 2 pass high quality and tweek a few others for best quality. depending on your settings and file size it should look just as good.
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 americahellyeah
going from one compressed format to one with even more compression, you do lose qualityVersus_Terminus
:roll: i don't.
machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 machiavell8x8

going from one compressed format to one with even more compression, you do lose qualityVersus_Terminus

i think it only compresses it if you lower the bit rate lower than that of a vob, so just depends on your settings i think

Versus_Terminus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Versus_Terminus
It's just like going from MP3 to AAC, you'll notice quality loss, AAC being the more superior codec, converting it from mp3 will result in quality loss compared to the lossless source. MP4 would look better being converted from original source such as film masters, but going from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 looks washed out unless it's from original source of which blu ray is encoded with.
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 americahellyeah

[QUOTE="Versus_Terminus"]going from one compressed format to one with even more compression, you do lose qualitymachiavell8x8

i think it only compresses it if you lower the bit rate lower than that of a vob, so just depends on your settings i think

exactly, if you just disable the adjusted bit rate and tell it to encode at whatever the source is you lose no quality.
chris198810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By chris198810
Member since 2012 • 27 Posts

It's a painful experience when users wanna watch VOB files on PS3. That's because PS3 doesn't support VOB format. So if you would like to play VOB on PS3 freely, converting VOB to PS3 compatible format is your ideal choice.