Pretty good article about Vita in Japan and what may come to US

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

This was a pretty good read. Not bias at all. Pretty informational too.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/23/playstation-vita-in-japan-whats-next

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

This was a pretty good read. Not bias at all. Pretty informational too.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/23/playstation-vita-in-japan-whats-next

Terrencec06
SS: sure Ys: Don't know Capcom: LOL ("securing MH [Ninty] is definitely a blow to the VITA to say the least") damn right it is Muramasa: I think it's realistic.. didn't the original come to the West? Dragon's Crown: Cool Atlus: hmmm? Guess it hasn't come out to EU yet Tecmo: very kind support to the VITA Sony: <-- needs to take bigger VITA risks, announce more stuff, churn their in house devs more and more for the VITA.. but w/e.. I guess I sound to self-entitled with that.. E3 and DPS better be big for the VITA or else it's gonna look more and more sad amongst competition both direct and indirect >.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

The Vita is going to need a big title like GTA, Elder Scrolls (even if it is on a smaller scale), or a Demon's/Dark Souls game or spin-off. Sure, it has AC, but that series doesn't have the presence of a GTA or ES (thanks to Skyrim) game at this point (mainly due to the expansions of 2 being pretty much the same game in a different setting just to push the story over two games). A proper Souls game would help for both the Japanese and Western market since it is a pretty solid blend of the both from art style to actual gameplay.

People need a big reason to get a Vita, and it's not like COD did anything to help (as much as it had potential to).

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#4 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
2013 is looking extremely disappointing for the Vita, to me anyway. I'm only interested in that Killzone game, if that's even coming out this year... I barely know anything about it. I wouldn't mind of they just bring more popular all ready existing franchises to the Vita, so hopefully that'll eventually happen.
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

The Vita is going to need a big title like GTA, Elder Scrolls (even if it is on a smaller scale), or a Demon's/Dark Souls game or spin-off. Sure, it has AC, but that series doesn't have the presence of a GTA or ES (thanks to Skyrim) game at this point (mainly due to the expansions of 2 being pretty much the same game in a different setting just to push the story over two games). A proper Souls game would help for both the Japanese and Western market since it is a pretty solid blend of the both from art style to actual gameplay.

People need a big reason to get a Vita, and it's not like COD did anything to help (as much as it had potential to).

blueboxdoctor

COD was a rushed piece of crap... Imo Sony should have given the job (obviously with Activision's persmission) to be handled by an internal team like Sony Bend studios... Am sure they would have done a better job..

Some top 3rd party titles like the one you mentioned GTA would be great... Am sure a PSV/GTA bundle would boost sales in the US/EU territories..

Sony should invest in getting better 3rd party support, since PSV needs games like Yakuza, Valkyria Chronicles, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Monster HUnter, MGS, a proper COD game etc etc

As regards 1st Party games, PSV needs games like GT, GOW, another Uncharted title, Killzone, Syphon Filter, SOCOM, Patapon etc etc

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

I can see the light at the end of tunnel... people saying that VITA failed simply judging by how it did until now should really stop worrying. Most of consoles do struggle in the beginning... just show me one that didn't really now.

Games like Soul Sacrifice, Dead or Alive 5, P4Golden, Ragnarok Odyssey are really nice and promissing... I am sure these are just the tips of the iceberg. More games will follow and E3 will be really exciting. Just give it chance.

ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts
How hard is it to port the PS2 GTA games to Vita? Or Journey? The Walking Dead? DMC? Heck, TES: Oblivion? Im sure its easier said than done, but i cant help feeling like it's instant money for Sony.
Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts
Dark cloud 3. That is all.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#9 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

Would be nice to get the Tales of games, Project Versus J, and Legend of Heroes.

"Look at these cool games coming out in Japan halfway through or at the very end of 2013, maybe if we are really lucky we will get a few of them sometime in 2014." Not really good news for the rest of the world.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#10 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Hah, you thought the drought of Vita games was bad in Japan. Look at NA.
gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
A Grand Theft Auto title will move a few units. If Sony manages to come out with something like the Elder Scrolls, that would breath a lot of air into the sales. Also, a Borderlands title would help.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

[QUOTE="blueboxdoctor"]

Malta_1980

COD was a rushed piece of crap... Imo Sony should have given the job (obviously with Activision's persmission) to be handled by an internal team like Sony Bend studios... Am sure they would have done a better job..

Some top 3rd party titles like the one you mentioned GTA would be great... Am sure a PSV/GTA bundle would boost sales in the US/EU territories..

Sony should invest in getting better 3rd party support, since PSV needs games like Yakuza, Valkyria Chronicles, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Monster HUnter, MGS, a proper COD game etc etc

As regards 1st Party games, PSV needs games like GT, GOW, another Uncharted title, Killzone, Syphon Filter, SOCOM, Patapon etc etc

The part here that got me is when you said Patapon.  The PSP had its own exclusives while the Vita has exclusives based on existing PS3 exclusives. 

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#13 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
That's an overstatement. The Vita's got several original exclusives.
NodakJo2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 NodakJo2010
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

The Vita needs a little marketing push imo. Get it some attention, but also I think Sony has something big in store with the Vita when the PS4 is announced.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

The Vita needs a little marketing push imo. Get it some attention, but also I think Sony has something big in store with the Vita when the PS4 is announced.

NodakJo2010

It's difficult to have a marketing push when you're having trouble getting big games on your system. Sure they could market the hardware but that's only going to get them so far without the games to back it up. The Vita has some quality games, but it's missing a big hitting game. I see the Vita right now as a very niche device. It has a bunch of stellar niche games but nothing good with mass appeal. Their first attempt with CoD was a massive failure.

xGamePlayerx19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xGamePlayerx19
Member since 2008 • 379 Posts

Dark cloud 3. That is all.Ghost120x
THIS most definitely, that would awesome and a total reason to so many to invest in a vita.

I would also like to see both tales of innocence r and hearts r released outside of japan as that would be amazing but i know that is very unlikely sadly.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I do believe second half of this year and 2014 will be a highlight for the Vita. This E3 and TGS will definitely announce some excellent games that will push sales units. It takes time to develop great games but it's no excuse not to have few great titles when the system originally is released. 

I believe few first party Sony developers should jump on the Vita and lead the way (if they aren't already)

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

I do believe second half of this year and 2014 will be a highlight for the Vita. This E3 and TGS will definitely announce some excellent games that will push sales units. It takes time to develop great games but it's no excuse not to have few great titles when the system originally is released. 

I believe few first party Sony developers should jump on the Vita and lead the way (if they aren't already)

Sokol4ever
The problem with that is that the PS4 is right around the corner. I bet most of Sony's first party devs are working on stuff for the PS4 so it doesn't struggle at launch like the PS3. The PS4 has much more potential to make money than the VIta.
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

[QUOTE="Sokol4ever"]

Toxic-Seahorse

The problem with that is that the PS4 is right around the corner. I bet most of Sony's first party devs are working on stuff for the PS4 so it doesn't struggle at launch like the PS3. The PS4 has much more potential to make money than the VIta.

Good point and I agree with it. It's a similar situation with PS3 and PSP. The PSP got the good titles around the second year of its release and so did the PS3. That's when they both took off. 

I do believe they can get it right with next generation as well, it will definitely take time and money, not to mention a lot of hard work. Third party developers could be the key. Vita's hardware is wonderful, I would hate to see the potential not utilized, hope for the best and we will see how things go.Â