PlayStation Camera

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SoAmazingBaby
#1 Edited by SoAmazingBaby (3015 posts) -

I just got a PlayStation 4 and want to try everything it has to offer. So i've been wondering about the camera, but is there really any support and use of it as of now?

Avatar image for BattleSpectre
#2 Posted by BattleSpectre (7989 posts) -

I got it for free with my Killzone bundle. To be honest there's not much use of it right now to justify it's purchase. PlayRoom is decent and showcases what the Camera can do, but I'd wait a bit before you jump the gun.

Avatar image for SoAmazingBaby
#3 Posted by SoAmazingBaby (3015 posts) -

Alright. A bundle you say? I got a killzone bundle too, but no camera.

Avatar image for BattleSpectre
#4 Edited by BattleSpectre (7989 posts) -

@SoAmazingBaby said:

Alright. A bundle you say? I got a killzone bundle too, but no camera.

Yeah, my 'Player Edition' Killzone Shadow Fall bundle came with the game, 2 controllers and the PlayStation camera. As you can see the picture on the box shows you a rough idea.

Keep in mind I live in Australia so I'm not sure if it was exclusive to us, I also believe the UK got this bundle.

Avatar image for SoAmazingBaby
#5 Posted by SoAmazingBaby (3015 posts) -

Cool stuff man. Didn't have this in Denmark I think. Was it cheap?

Avatar image for BattleSpectre
#6 Edited by BattleSpectre (7989 posts) -

@SoAmazingBaby: It was $100 on top of the standard price. I think it was a great deal, the only problem was it wasn't a launch day bundle. I had to wait 2-3 weeks for it to officially release.

Avatar image for Telekill
#7 Posted by Telekill (7606 posts) -

The main uses my family and I have for it are the voice commands that I use (not often) and Just Dance 2014 that my wife and daughter play. I'm looking forward to project morpheus if they can do it right, and that will use the camera.

Avatar image for porkchopxp
#8 Posted by porkchopxp (1181 posts) -

If you're the type to stream your game sessions and/or post live, let's play videos than the camera is quite useful.

Avatar image for SoAmazingBaby
#9 Posted by SoAmazingBaby (3015 posts) -

Thanks for the inputs guys! :)

Avatar image for donalbane
#10 Posted by donalbane (16383 posts) -

The voice commands are practically useless, the Playroom is a tech demo that's fun for about 3 minutes, and the login stuff is spotty. I honestly just got it because I own Move controllers, and I figured I may as well be able to access them, but so far there's nothing on that front. It sounds like it's required for the VR helmet, so that's nice.

Avatar image for The_Last_Ride
#11 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@SoAmazingBaby said:

I just got a PlayStation 4 and want to try everything it has to offer. So i've been wondering about the camera, but is there really any support and use of it as of now?

We need to wait, there isn't a lot of games for the PS4 overall. So i expect that there will be more games coming for it and features aswell

Avatar image for bezza2011
#12 Edited by bezza2011 (2729 posts) -

no use for the camera right now, I'm hoping they bring back the move controller to be fair and just make a decent sports game, I mean Wii Sports is probably the most played game ever lol, it is great just give me a good selection of sports which work well with it and i'm sold, other than that unless your a twitch user or ustream user then there is no point to it really.

Avatar image for ArchoNils2
#13 Posted by ArchoNils2 (9768 posts) -

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I thoughtn it was better than to create a new one.

So are there any games besides Playroom and this dancing game that support the camera as of now? Or is there anything comming which supports the device? So far the PS4 camera is amongst the least used accessoires I ever saw, it is like the R.O.B of this gen :S

Avatar image for bezza2011
#14 Posted by bezza2011 (2729 posts) -

@ArchoNils2: Still nothing, I'm still waiting for them to make a Sports Champions game for it, I loved that game on the PS3 with the move controllers, I hate these big companies inventing this stuff and then half heartdly supporting it, because no one is interested and the only reason no one is interested in this stuff is because they don't support it in the first place. the only use for this camera is for twitch at the moment and the playroom which does nothing other than give you a platform to livestream which is funny at times, but other than that nothing, it is going to come into play once they released Morpheus the VR headset they are making but even that may take another couple of years,

Avatar image for ArchoNils2
#15 Posted by ArchoNils2 (9768 posts) -

@bezza2011 said:

@ArchoNils2: Still nothing, I'm still waiting for them to make a Sports Champions game for it, I loved that game on the PS3 with the move controllers, I hate these big companies inventing this stuff and then half heartdly supporting it, because no one is interested and the only reason no one is interested in this stuff is because they don't support it in the first place. the only use for this camera is for twitch at the moment and the playroom which does nothing other than give you a platform to livestream which is funny at times, but other than that nothing, it is going to come into play once they released Morpheus the VR headset they are making but even that may take another couple of years,

I'm afraid this was just to show that they can also make their own Kinect. It's kinda sad that multiplat games that use functions of the Kinect do not offer the same experience ofn the camera. I guess the Kinect API is much better? I don't know :s

Oh and a new Sports Champions, especially if it included the Gladiator fights, would be a day1 for me

Avatar image for bezza2011
#16 Posted by bezza2011 (2729 posts) -

@ArchoNils2 said:

@bezza2011 said:

@ArchoNils2: Still nothing, I'm still waiting for them to make a Sports Champions game for it, I loved that game on the PS3 with the move controllers, I hate these big companies inventing this stuff and then half heartdly supporting it, because no one is interested and the only reason no one is interested in this stuff is because they don't support it in the first place. the only use for this camera is for twitch at the moment and the playroom which does nothing other than give you a platform to livestream which is funny at times, but other than that nothing, it is going to come into play once they released Morpheus the VR headset they are making but even that may take another couple of years,

I'm afraid this was just to show that they can also make their own Kinect. It's kinda sad that multiplat games that use functions of the Kinect do not offer the same experience ofn the camera. I guess the Kinect API is much better? I don't know :s

Oh and a new Sports Champions, especially if it included the Gladiator fights, would be a day1 for me

Very sad I mean if your going to invent it then why not support it with at least 1 or 2 quality games like Sport Champions. and no matter what anyone feels about the Move controller itself, it is the best motion controller there has ever been it was pretty much 1:1 and it worked well. it's a real shame I have the camera but it's just packed away until i have a use for it.

Avatar image for SolidTy
#17 Edited by SolidTy (49991 posts) -

@SoAmazingBaby said:

I just got a PlayStation 4 and want to try everything it has to offer. So i've been wondering about the camera, but is there really any support and use of it as of now?

There is voice commands for the Camera, but you can also access the voice commands with the free mic that comes with the PS4.