TurboGraphix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TurboGraphix
Member since 2005 • 502 Posts

Sup folks, It's been a while since I've been in the Playstation area of the forums.

I sold mine back in Summer since it wasn't getting much use, however I recently got a new tv and there's a lot of upcoming ps4 games I'm excited for. Also, I really really miss my Street Fighter V. (I've logged over 500 hours into Killer Instinct, I gotta switch it up).

I have a entry level Hitachi 4k tv. Non HDR. 8 bit panel. So, I would only benefit from the resolution. All 4k tv's automatically upscale but having an original source upscaling is always a better choice.

Now, considering the type of tv I have. Is it worth it to get a ps4 pro? or just get a original ps4 and let the tv upscale?

Thanks, Game On!

id_mew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By id_mew
Member since 2007 • 608 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you. I own a 4k tv that's non HDR, I wish I waited a until I knew better.

I sold my PS4 to get the Pro so I can take advantage of my 4K tv but when I found out it doesn't support HDR, I was pretty upset.

In your case, since you don't have a PS4, I would just go for the Pro. The games will look better and sharper since some game support native 4k or somewhere in between 1080p-4k.

Plus some games will have different options that take advantage of the PS Pro, and if you ever want VR, the Pro is the way to go.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Cant you guys just purchase the PS4P, try out the games and if you're not happy return it within 7 days for a refund?

SGG-Gaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SGG-Gaming
Member since 2016 • 6 Posts

Well it all depends on the price points honestly. If you're buying and the cost of a PS4 Pro doesn't bother you much then yes go for the PS4 Pro.

However be aware that its marketing of what it can do is going to be let down by reality in my view.

The PS4 Pro *will not* be allowed to display higher frame rates in MULTIPLAYER games by comparison to a PS4 for example. Many people are thinking that they will get a PS4P and their games will just look better, have higher framerates etc. This won't be the case.

For example if Battlefield 1 is set at 30FPS on a PS4 for multiplayer than the PS4P will not be allowed to set rates higher than 30FPS for multiplayer whether in 4K or 1080p. It might however be unrestrained in single player mode though.

Overall I think the PS4P benefits is purely only in seeing 4K rendered games and thats about it. And even then it will remain 30FPS and many people own Non HDR 4k tv's which is an issue.

Overall I think the PS4P is not worth the upgrade over the PS4 unless you need it for specific reasons. If however you're buying a new console....sure why not.

If however you don't feel its benefit enough then just get the PS4 Slim frankly.

TurboGraphix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TurboGraphix

@GTR12: If it's 1980 before the internet was invented then yeah, sure. However I thought these forums were for fellow gamers to gain opinions from one another and help each other to arrive at a personal conclusion, no? My bad for asking for help on a forum.......

@sgg-gaming: Thanks for your detailed response, I didn't even think about the multiplayer situation. If its 30fps on a team deathmatch (any game), it'll be the same on the other console. I imagine they did limit this so it can be a fair playing field. A fps player at 30fps will get destroyed by another player using 60fps, right? My tv will upscale the games as well, so that's a big factor as well. But seriously dude, thanks for the advice.

@id_mew:Yeah, being impatient is the worst but at the time I was getting a x1 S, and I needed to see Gears in 4k, right away lol. It's the early adopters curse. I was upset as well when I realized my tv didn't support HDR. I'm not into the VR scene as of yet, however certain games can have higher res and that means something.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GTR12

@TurboGraphix: Oh right, gamers are fat people that never go outside, the 1980 sterotype, check.

Its been out legally 1 day, how is anyone going to know the answer to your question? Oh wait, websites have reviewed it.

http://bfy.tw/8gBW

TurboGraphix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TurboGraphix

@GTR12: You are not seeing the point of forums. I pity you. The other two dudes helped, your just here being an arrogant rude little prick.

It's also fascinating how I can ask a question in a humble manner, and somehow that provoked an ignorant response from you. Like I said, I pity you. Good day

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GTR12

@TurboGraphix: Yeah, trying something for yourself and deciding is ignorant...

TurboGraphix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TurboGraphix

@GTR12: LOL still not understanding my statement man.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

C'mon guys lets all get along with each other and at the end of the day this is a forum so everyone can ask questions about videogames etc so no need to pick a fight we all come here for one thing and that's because we love games and hardware.

TurboGraphix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TurboGraphix

@sukraj: Exactly my point my dude. I value others opinions on these forums way more than reviews. Here, I can hear from other gamers like me and develop a proper conclusion that I feel secure enough with. Some folks on here just like to be annoying, and need to be called out when doing so.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

you can always get an HDR TV later when the prices drop

PS Pro will improve your experience now.Everything will look more clean and more crisp than before.

I have a non HDR 4k TV(2014 model) and i don't regret getting a pro.I am very pleased with the visual upgrade it offers.

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

I'm using a 4K monitor with the PS4 and it's not a HDR display. The 4K upscaling is a neat little trick! My gaming PC is not a slug so I've seen and played many games natively in 4K. I was concerned about the upscaling of the resolution not being very noticeable, but it does provide a better image.

Native = 2160p

Upscaling = 1800p(checkboard rendering)

I've been gaming exclusively on the PC for the past six years; and it's taking me sometime to adjust. With hardware that's priced at $299, I can see where developers cut corners to provide a decent gaming experience on the Playstation 4. While Sony is using buzz words like "virtual reality" and "4K gaming" to market the Pro; gaming at 1080p is going to be a treat. One feature you'll probably see more often with future Pro patches is supersampling which would drastically improve the quality of any game on the PS4. The special edition for Skyrim will run natively in 4K but for those with 1080p monitors it'll use supersampling! Killing Floor 2 which is releasing this month on the PS4 has Pro features for 1080p HDTVs as well.

I picked up the Playstation 4 because I've been wanting to play Final Fantasy XV for years and I wasn't going to wait 1+ year to play it on PC. Square Enix promised two 4K modes for FFXV and a uncap framerate at 1080p for the Pro patch. It made it much easier to buy the upgraded console after hearing that news.

So if you don't have a PS4 and want to buy one definitely get the Pro version. The price per the performance is worth it.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

Does it support HDCP 2.2? Because if not, you're basically not going to be able to use it for 4K.

Either way, many games offer some sort of benefit at 1080p like super sampling, greater fps etc. that are still worth it.