Persona 4 Golden a good idea for a newcomer to the series?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#1 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

As much as I hate "Is this game good" topics, I'm kind of making one. Also, there's only a PSP game recommendation game topic it seems. Anyway, I've never touched a Persona game. I know little about the series. But supposedly I'm not taking full advantage of my Vita purchase by having not played Persona 4 Golden, or something...

So all I'm asking is how easy would it be for a newcomer to the series to just jump in and start playing it? Will I have any idea what the hell is going on within a few hours of playing it? Notably, I've also never played a JRPG, or any Japanese-typed games, except for Gravity Rush, which I'm enjoying thus far. Probably irrelevant to mention that since they probably aren't anything alike... but I'm becoming more open to different games, I guess.

Seeing as it's the highest rated Vita game and I'll soon be out of games to play on the Vita, I figure I should finally look into this game sometime soon.  I just don't want to waste my time playing something I'm not going to get into. Any explanations, advice, convincing, or calling me an idiot for not playing it yet would be appreciated, thanks.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#2 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
There's no need to play past games. There are some references to Persona 3 but you won't miss much. Persona, Persona 2 Innocent Sin, and Persona 2 Eternal Punishment play very differently and don't come into play in the story at all.
TheFlyingSkull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 TheFlyingSkull
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I was in the same position back in January - I'd never really played a JRPG, and the phrase "turn-based battles" sent shivers down my spine! But like you, I felt I should widen my horizons and try the highest rated game on the Vita.

133 hours later, I can confirm it's a highly enjoyable and accessible game! Not having played other games in the series didn't matter at all. I'm now considering giving Disgaea 3 a go, to try another one of this great genre.

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts

I was in the same position back in January - I'd never really played a JRPG, and the phrase "turn-based battles" sent shivers down my spine! But like you, I felt I should widen my horizons and try the highest rated game on the Vita.

133 hours later, I can confirm it's a highly enjoyable and accessible game! Not having played other games in the series didn't matter at all. I'm now considering giving Disgaea 3 a go, to try another one of this great genre.

TheFlyingSkull
Disgaea 3 is a fantastic choice, the game gets pretty crazy with its stats, I think your attributes can easily go in the millions after a while.
SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
This is going to be my first game in the series as well.
ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Yeah you can easely start with Persona 4 Golden into the series, there's nothing really interessting you're missing (except maybe recognize some stuff which is not important).

Disgaea 3 (I just saw you talked about it) is also pretty good to ge tinto the series, but unlike Persona 4 Golden, Disgaea 3 has a few scenes (at least in post game) you might not fully understand or you won't find funny because they're referencing past games

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
It was my first Persona game too. I have a review in my sig with the rest of my thoughts, but long story short, do it.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
It's not very hard to get into(there is an easy/beginner mode where enemies don't hit as hard and your party gets more experience), just be prepared to read a lot.
fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts
You'll be doing yourself a favor by getting Persona 4 : Golden. Not only are you getting a crap load of content, you're also getting one of the best RPGs of our time.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Yes. P4G is good for anyone. Definitely the best in the series (Persona, I mean, not SMT). However, P3P is amazing too. Some people criticize it for missing stuff from P3F, but the extra after story in P3F kinda sucked (Persona's strength comes from the fusion between social aspects and combat, but the after story only has combat, and frankly, dungeon crawling in Persona series isn't all that special), and other than the ending being a bit confusing due to no anime cutscenes, P3P's improvement in combat engine and addition of a female main character make up for all its downsides.
Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts

TheFlyingSkull
:roll: Disgaea 3 and Persona 4 aren't in the same genre..
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PoisoN_Facecam0
Also if you're ever planning on playing P3 (which is amazing and imo a much better game than 4) get P3P and play it on Vita, the story and characters are both a shining example of how to do a JRPG correctly..
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SoNin360
More thanks for additional responses. I finally decided to purchase it. I'll try to jump into it relatively soon. Gotta wait for it to arrive and still going to work on a game or two before then.
spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
More thanks for additional responses. I finally decided to purchase it. I'll try to jump into it relatively soon. Gotta wait for it to arrive and still going to work on a game or two before then.SoNin360
Good choice. IMO it's up there as one of the best JRPG's ever made, and easily the best game on Vita.
CooperThief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 CooperThief
Member since 2009 • 648 Posts

I had never played a JRPG before either, but Persona 4 is one of my favorite games on the Vita.

And don't worry about not knowing what to do. The game takes careful time to get you acquainted with all of the features.

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

If you start on Persona 4 Golden for the love of god don't purchase Persona 3 Portable down the line, I did and Regret it, can't seem to bother finishing Persona 3. If you want to buy Persona 3 get the PS2 version.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

If you start on Persona 4 Golden for the love of god don't purchase Persona 3 Portable down the line, I did and Regret it, can't seem to bother finishing Persona 3. If you want to buy Persona 3 get the PS2 version.

Blake135
That's even worse.
Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Blake135

[QUOTE="Blake135"]

funsohng

That's even worse.

Persona 3 FES ? Much better then going from Persona 4 to Persona 3 Portable.

damann22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 damann22
Member since 2004 • 7655 Posts

Yes p4g is a good start for anyone. Even if you're not an RPG fan you can skip the battles and go right into the social side of the game. 

PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PoisoN_Facecam0
I hate when people jump on the bandwagon just because a game is reviewed well, play persona 3 at the very least
Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Blake135

I hate when people jump on the bandwagon just because a game is reviewed well, play persona 3 at the very leastPoisoN_Facecam0

What ? A game that is Reviewed very highly and deserves those Reviews shouldn't be enjoyed by more people ? I don't understand, Persona 4 is the highest Rated Persona game in the series and improves on alot of the past Persona Games why shouldn't he enjoy the best in the series especially when their stories and Characters don't connect at all ? *Jumping On The Bandwangon* Sounds like a person that says * I Liked this band before they were *cool*:? Persona is a pretty Niche Series I don't give a **** how ANYONE found out the Persona series, if more people find out either by word of mouth or Reviews and enjoy it AWESOME. I want the series to thrive and more people experiencing it is more money for the developers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
I hate when people jump on the bandwagon just because a game is reviewed well, play persona 3 at the very leastPoisoN_Facecam0
You sound like one of those people who become bitter when their hipster things become mainstream, so they can obviously no longer enjoy it. Game is good and deserves more attention, who the fvck cares when they jump on? With the situation Index faces right now, I'm thrilled by every dollar they get. It means it's more likely we'll see Persona 5. BTW, I went back to P3P afterwards. Game is nowhere near as charming. I'm hoping FES can change my mind once amazon delivers it, the lack of a world outside the dungeons really takes a lot away.
Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

As much as I hate "Is this game good" topics, I'm kind of making one. Also, there's only a PSP game recommendation game topic it seems. Anyway, I've never touched a Persona game. I know little about the series. But supposedly I'm not taking full advantage of my Vita purchase by having not played Persona 4 Golden, or something...

So all I'm asking is how easy would it be for a newcomer to the series to just jump in and start playing it? Will I have any idea what the hell is going on within a few hours of playing it? Notably, I've also never played a JRPG, or any Japanese-typed games, except for Gravity Rush, which I'm enjoying thus far. Probably irrelevant to mention that since they probably aren't anything alike... but I'm becoming more open to different games, I guess.

Seeing as it's the highest rated Vita game and I'll soon be out of games to play on the Vita, I figure I should finally look into this game sometime soon. I just don't want to waste my time playing something I'm not going to get into. Any explanations, advice, convincing, or calling me an idiot for not playing it yet would be appreciated, thanks.

SoNin360

You will only miss a couple references that have no effect on the game or story at all.

You can play persona 4 with no knowledge of anyother game and enjoy every bit of it. Youll be just fine.

Just do yourself a favor since youre new to jrpgs in the first 2 dungeons you come across in the game, grind each one when you get in there for 45 minutes to an hour. I know its a bit boring but youll thank me later.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SoNin360

I don't see the problem. Yeah, the high scores are essentially what drove me to finally check out this game, but dammit I don't regret that one bit. I'm about 30 hours in thus far, and I'm loving it. It took a while to get going, but I'm fairly comfortable with everything at this point. The story, characters, and even the weird battling strange ass creatures bits are awesome. I'm not sure why it would upset anyone for someone else to become interested in a game that has received stellar reviews. I mean, come on, I might as well try out the highest rated game on the handheld that doesn't have too deep of a library at the moment.

Thanks again to everyone for all the input, this game is as newcomer-friendly as I hoped it would be, even if it took a number of hours to really catch my interest. For now I'll probably keep this as my only Persona game, or JRPG for that matter, but I'll definitely look into Persona 5, whenever that may happen. And just out of curiosity, how similar/different are other games in the series (or even genre) to Persona 4? Are they all pretty similar/routine? Or does Persona 4 just stand out the most for some reason?

SoulSnare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SoulSnare
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

yeah, you can start from P4

You gonna have a good time! 

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Blake135

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"]I hate when people jump on the bandwagon just because a game is reviewed well, play persona 3 at the very leastSoNin360

I don't see the problem. Yeah, the high scores are essentially what drove me to finally check out this game, but dammit I don't regret that one bit. I'm about 30 hours in thus far, and I'm loving it. It took a while to get going, but I'm fairly comfortable with everything at this point. The story, characters, and even the weird battling strange ass creatures bits are awesome. I'm not sure why it would upset anyone for someone else to become interested in a game that has received stellar reviews. I mean, come on, I might as well try out the highest rated game on the handheld that doesn't have too deep of a library at the moment.

Thanks again to everyone for all the input, this game is as newcomer-friendly as I hoped it would be, even if it took a number of hours to really catch my interest. For now I'll probably keep this as my only Persona game, or JRPG for that matter, but I'll definitely look into Persona 5, whenever that may happen. And just out of curiosity, how similar/different are other games in the series (or even genre) to Persona 4? Are they all pretty similar/routine? Or does Persona 4 just stand out the most for some reason?

All are different in terms of Themes and the *Social/Gender* Issues they tackle. Persona3 for example is alittle darker in theme. Persona4 is reviewed the best simply because they have improved everything from past Persona games, People argue that they don't like the *Highschool* Nature of the game due to past Persona's having older characters or they feel the theme is not dark enough. that side of it is simply up to individual taste.