Pangya Fantasy Golf sold fewer than 5,000 copies...MHFU fewer than 125,000

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

http://games.ign.com/articles/101/1015167p1.html

According to this article ^^ by IGN, Pangya Fantasy Golf sold less than 5,000 copies. What a shame since this game is a real good golf game. :(

Also, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite sold less than 125,000. Wonder why? In Japan is sold over 3.5 million! What gives!? What's wrong with US PSP owners? No wonder SCEA puts crap on the PSN store because in their mind games like Suikoden 2 or Einhander won't sell!

This needs to change! :evil:

Avatar image for PlayLykUStoleIt
PlayLykUStoleIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 PlayLykUStoleIt
Member since 2008 • 568 Posts
people dont understand good games. like i read a while back, people say games nowadays are watered down on difficulty for masses. games arent like they used to be... actually competitive.. and i guess people say MHFU is too hard of a game to play, or too long, whatever they say. there is nothing wrong with MHFU, infact, i thought it was selling very well over here until i saw this topic. its a shame that games arent getting bought because people are too soft now.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

US gaming tastes are different than Japan's, or Europe's. That's just the way it is. I might get Pangya, but I have no interest in MH, and I've tried the most recent demo.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

well to be fair monster hunter isn't a very accessible series.

It takes alot of time to get the basics.

Maybe some people aren't willing to invest the time to learn the ropes :?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
PANGYA is an awesome game, but it really doesn't appeal to the American audience.
Xul_Onerom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Xul_Onerom
Member since 2007 • 119 Posts

The same thing happened to Valkyria Chronicles

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
in a way i'm glad that Pangya Golf and MHFU sold less ... some titles should stay with a smaller fan base to have more appreciation. Once something gets too big ... people expect too much more the next time around...
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ASK_Story

in a way i'm glad that Pangya Golf and MHFU sold less ... some titles should stay with a smaller fan base to have more appreciation. Once something gets too big ... people expect too much more the next time around...gokuofheaven

Yeah but less than 5,000 copies? :?

Even the most hardcore niche game at least sells around 25,000 - 65,000.

BC20FLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BC20FLY
Member since 2008 • 1672 Posts
PANGYA is an awesome game, but it really doesn't appeal to the American audience.siLVURcross
Couldn't have said it better myself. American's go for typical american things like shooters and madden. Not check if a game is good or not regardless of its origin. very sad
SillySkeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SillySkeleton
Member since 2008 • 933 Posts

in a way i'm glad that Pangya Golf and MHFU sold less ... some titles should stay with a smaller fan base to have more appreciation. Once something gets too big ... people expect too much more the next time around...gokuofheaven

I think appreciation is what these games are sorely lacking. (outside of Japan, that is) Sure, there's the small handful of rabid fans for each, but the series would get more attention both by gamers and the companies that made it if they were more popular. Hence, why series' like Final Fantasy and Street Fighter have had so many games released.

Metal Gear Solid 4 wouldn't have had the massive production values (and quality) it had if the first 3 weren't hugely popular to a wide audience.

SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#11 SadPSPAddict
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

I just don't get that at all - I'm in the UK and had to get Pangya Fantasy Golf shipped over from the US since there are no plans to release in Europe. I think it's a brilliant game and so have I've spent 13-14 hours on it and still have lots to complete and items to unlock etc. For a fun golf game it's the best around (and yes I have played both versions of Hot Shots/Everybodys Golf) - *shakes head in disbelief*

Blackjaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Blackjaw
Member since 2003 • 241 Posts

I preordered, bought, and played Pangya and while it was a great game, it is definetly targets a niche market. Now, that market should have been more than 5,000...but oh well.

As far as MHFU goes, Capcom needs to fix the camera and I'm sure they'll sell more. Hell, I'd buy it.

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 ston3henge
Member since 2007 • 2732 Posts

When you can play "Tiger Woods 10", why bother with fantasy golf? I've played both because some yam on these boards ruffled his Final Fantasy Feathers at my not having tried it... and I thought it sucked. Straight-up terrible, if you like the actual game of golf. Tiger is ten times better in that respect with licensed courses and online play.

PS - Those sales numbers reflect more on the ease of piracy than they do fan-base, I would imagine...

jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

It's like saying why play Need for Speed when you can play Gran Turismo.. arcade games > simulators in my opinion. I think Pangya was fighting an uphill battle since it doesn't have "Hot Shots" in front or some other reputable franchise name.. "Jak and Dexter Golf" would probably of sold more heh

damann22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 damann22
Member since 2004 • 7655 Posts

I would have picked up monster hunter if I lived in japan cuz everyone plays that game. Or if it hadinfrastucture mode here in the States I would have bought it. But since no one bought it around here and theres no infrastucture mode then whats the point of playing a game made for multi when you have no one to play it with.

Cantius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#16 Cantius
Member since 2004 • 3894 Posts
I blame piracy.
CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CoolSkAGuy
Member since 2006 • 9665 Posts
I played MH1 and it wasnt my thing I got the basics down, still didnt like it and im not a golf fan myself so meh, but to each to their own.
SnifflingDarK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SnifflingDarK
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
i loved MH and cant wait for the one the wii but as for golf i love to play with real clubs not joy sticks the sound of the brezees and metal to tiny white ball it just gives one peace
digimonkey12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 digimonkey12
Member since 2009 • 1851 Posts

Xul_Onerom
That is crazy because it is an awesome game now I wonder how Valkyria Chronicles 2 will do for PSP.
BC20FLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BC20FLY
Member since 2008 • 1672 Posts
[QUOTE="Xul_Onerom"]

digimonkey12
That is crazy because it is an awesome game now I wonder how Valkyria Chronicles 2 will do for PSP.

Easy, it's going to sell dramatically better because it's on a handheld and Japan prefer handhelds over consoles WAY more. Plus the install base is higher over there. I pretty much came to the conclusion to that being the reason why SEGA put VC2 on the PSP
Analizer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Analizer2
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Piracy needs to be halted
SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#22 SadPSPAddict
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

When you can play "Tiger Woods 10", why bother with fantasy golf? I've played both because some yam on these boards ruffled his Final Fantasy Feathers at my not having tried it... and I thought it sucked. Straight-up terrible, if you like the actual game of golf. Tiger is ten times better in that respect with licensed courses and online play.

PS - Those sales numbers reflect more on the ease of piracy than they do fan-base, I would imagine...

ston3henge

I certainly hope it isn't piracy but fear you could be right.

I have played Tiger Woods 10 as well and thought it was a good game that takes itself a bit too seriously. However a good career mode and I'm sure people who follow golf and will recognise the courses appreciate it. I don't but still had fun with it. But Pangya was definitely more fun for a non-golfing person. But hey - to each there own!! :)

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 magitekk
Member since 2009 • 3959 Posts

I don't think tastes here in the U.S. as opposed to tastes in Japan are the determining factor for this, I think it's more that hardly anyone seems to own a psp anymore. Most of my friends believed that it was dying out until I mentioned dissidia to them, they seriously thought that sony had stopped producing games for the psp...So I can only guess that many people who used to own one have sold theres. No psp = no psp game sales.

Japan on the other hand, with the release of those snazzy new colors, nobody's getting rid of their psp :o.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ASK_Story

I don't think tastes here in the U.S. as opposed to tastes in Japan are the determining factor for this, I think it's more that hardly anyone seems to own a psp anymore. Most of my friends believed that it was dying out until I mentioned dissidia to them, they seriously thought that sony had stopped producing games for the psp...So I can only guess that many people who used to own one have sold theres. No psp = no psp game sales.

Japan on the other hand, with the release of those snazzy new colors, nobody's getting rid of their psp :o.

magitekk
Handhelds have been dominating Japan for the past so-and-so years. And Pangya Golf looks Japanese but it's from Korea. But it doesn't matter. It's a fun game that got overlooked. I understand about the whole niche thing but less than 5,000 copies is a flatout shame.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ASK_Story

ston3henge
Some people think Tiger Woods is boring. Too realistic, no personality, takes itself too seriously. Also, if I can play the superior Wii version or the 360/PS3 versions, than why bother dishing out $40 for a portable one? At least Pangya is unique to the PSP and cheaper. I personally prefer a little fantasy in my golf games. Mario Golf, Hot Shots Golf, and now Pangya Golf feel more fresh and fun.
hazuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 hazuki
Member since 2003 • 3959 Posts

Next thing is, there isn't enough psp games on the psn store. Theres only like 60 psp games on the store currently. My point is that this game and many others would sell better if they were simply on the psn store! I mean, its another month for the psp go and so few games are even on the store? Most first party games aren't even on the store yet. God of war anyone?

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Shinobishyguy
[QUOTE="Blackjaw"] As far as MHFU goes, Capcom needs to fix the camera and I'm sure they'll sell more. Hell, I'd buy it.

this isn't that big of a problem...if you can develop "the claw"
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="Blackjaw"] As far as MHFU goes, Capcom needs to fix the camera and I'm sure they'll sell more. Hell, I'd buy it.

It sells well in Japan. But I agree, I don't like the camera either. I wish there was lock-on. But it's still one of the best games on the PSP.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Shinobishyguy
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="Blackjaw"] As far as MHFU goes, Capcom needs to fix the camera and I'm sure they'll sell more. Hell, I'd buy it.ASK_Story

It sells well in Japan. But I agree, I don't like the camera either. I wish there was lock-on. But it's still one of the best games on the PSP.

true that. I must've put in more than a hundred hours so far..and I'm not even done with the elder quests.
piranha_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 piranha_inc
Member since 2005 • 1994 Posts
I like Pangya but MHFU is just not my taste
SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points