Over 90% of those with PS3's+HDTVs are not getting HD signals.

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sexy_FFVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sexy_FFVII
Member since 2006 • 903 Posts

I always thought about this. I'm not at all surprised of the stupidity of people these days.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152650

Nothing on the national level, and for that I apologize, however the Las Vegas Review Journal ran a little survey tidbit in which they asked consumers (at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and EB games) if they had a PS3 and an HDTV. If the response was yes, they were asked what resolution and cables they were running.

Over 90% gave a response which resulted in a scenario where the signal displayed was no higher than 480p, most of which said "I just used the cables Sony packaged in." For those who were aware of HD cables failed to change the systems display settings to 720p / 1080i/p.

I thought this was kind of interesting, if Sony isn't going to package in the appropiate cables, they should really make it idiot - proof (basically, shove onscreen messages telling people HD cables are needed for HD signals) during installation, or just include the appropiate accessories out of the box.

It's actually kind of surprising the press hasn't gotten on Sony's case regarding this issue.

RoyTheViking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 RoyTheViking
Member since 2005 • 3574 Posts
Who cares? So other people aren't getting the most out of their HDTV(s). I really don't care. Its their loss. Sony, like all the other companies aren't saying anything because there is nothing to gain from making an announcement.
Sexy_FFVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sexy_FFVII

Who cares? So other people aren't getting the most out of their HDTV(s). I really don't care. Its their loss. Sony, like all the other companies aren't saying anything because there is nothing to gain from making an announcement.RoyTheViking
Did you even read the post?

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
imagine how those people will be blown away by the games they played months ago when they discover HD in their HDTVs
Paper_Knife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Paper_Knife
Member since 2006 • 1592 Posts
HA :lol: people are dumb.
RoyTheViking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RoyTheViking
Member since 2005 • 3574 Posts

[QUOTE="RoyTheViking"]Who cares? So other people aren't getting the most out of their HDTV(s). I really don't care. Its their loss. Sony, like all the other companies aren't saying anything because there is nothing to gain from making an announcement.Sexy_FFVII

Yes. And again, I care......Why? 

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
So 90% of the people surveyed are uninformed instant gratification type consumers.  They don't know how to use their own TV, what accessories to buy, or what the PS3 is actually capable of yet they still buy it.  Imagine when people become informed.  Like hotcakes I tell you. :lol:
ModernTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ModernTimes
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts
This is not surprising. Sony should package Hd cables though.
Sexy_FFVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sexy_FFVII
[QUOTE="Sexy_FFVII"]

[QUOTE="RoyTheViking"]Who cares? So other people aren't getting the most out of their HDTV(s). I really don't care. Its their loss. Sony, like all the other companies aren't saying anything because there is nothing to gain from making an announcement.RoyTheViking

I posted this because it shows how people are so ignorant and with that... It's freaking hilarious and sad.

wlfoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 wlfoster
Member since 2006 • 39 Posts

The ps3 doesnt even come with cmponent cables, that is a frickin joke

Avatar image for AllSystemsRocks
AllSystemsRocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AllSystemsRocks
Member since 2005 • 1079 Posts

Who cares? So other people aren't getting the most out of their HDTV(s). I really don't care. Its their loss. Sony, like all the other companies aren't saying anything because there is nothing to gain from making an announcement.RoyTheViking

This answer reflect perfectly the individualist society we areliving  in...  I don't care if someone is in trouble if I'M ok...

Avatar image for videogameplaya2
videogameplaya2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 videogameplaya2
Member since 2006 • 396 Posts
I guess i'm part of that 10% then.
timmotool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 timmotool
Member since 2005 • 1761 Posts
I have a 42" 1080P Sony set, and i get SD signals, lol. HDTV is just too much, doesent matter though. I only watch movies, and since i have BD now it looks awesome!
gizmo_logix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gizmo_logix
Member since 2005 • 4224 Posts

Best quote on NeoGaf...
"The public at large... uninformed?
STOP THE PRESSES."
:D
mikeslemonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mikeslemonade
Member since 2006 • 3624 Posts
Dammit, and people like me need a HDTV and I have to play at 480p.
gizmo_logix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gizmo_logix
Member since 2005 • 4224 Posts
Dammit, and people like me need a HDTV and I have to play at 480p. mikeslemonade

"An HDTV is a terrible thing to waste! :P"
"This is an HDTV. This is your brain. This is your brain on HDTV."
mmirza23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mmirza23
Member since 2004 • 3457 Posts
wow not only is this country getting fatter, but now dumber as well, guess it's not that surprising though :)
junk56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 junk56
Member since 2003 • 1748 Posts

wow not only is this country getting fatter, but now dumber as well, guess it's not that surprising though :)mmirza23

lmfao took the words outta my mouth

mikeslemonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mikeslemonade
Most people buy a console and expect it to be pick up and play.  You can't really blame people who have gotten used to previous systems.  The number is still shocking though.  50% I would believe and wouldn't be suprised but 90%?
mmirza23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mmirza23

Most people buy a console and expect it to be pick up and play.  You can't really blame people who have gotten used to previous systems.  The number is still shocking though.  50% I would believe and wouldn't be suprised but 90%?mikeslemonade

Yeah I agree, but people not knowing about HDTV's and resolutions or the fact that the PS3 is for HD LOL and 90% of them!?! either there are alot of rich americans who just buy expensive things for the hell of it or they really are that dumb haha.

TheJuggla17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -5

#21 TheJuggla17
Member since 2003 • 16307 Posts

Who cares? What an ignorant comment. Somewhere out there someone cares.

TheJuggla17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheJuggla17

As for Sony I have never seen such a stupid decision. Why would you release a system based on HD and not include a pair of HD cables right out of the box? Even Microsoft gave users the option with their component and composite cable. Not a problem though I went out and bought a $150 dollar Monster HDMI cable. Regardless they could of added a pair of HD cables.

mikeslemonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mikeslemonade
Well half of HDTV owners don't even have HD media.  I never understood why would you buy hardware before you have media to support it.  Hardware prices get cheaper and media doesn't get cheaper.
mmirza23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mmirza23

Well half of HDTV owners don't even have HD media.  I never understood why would you buy hardware before you have media to support it.  Hardware prices get cheaper and media doesn't get cheaper.mikeslemonade

EXACTLY, i couldnt have put it better!

pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pimperjones
Member since 2006 • 3116 Posts

Most adults just buy HD TV's because they are FLAT and WIDE, serious dude. My buddy and his wife bought an 1080P HDTV and didn't know it was even HD, they bought it cause it was WIDE and FLAT and THIN. LOL  So you can imagine these same people go out and buy a PS3 wouldn't know that you need to buy better cables for it. Sony really needs to package a set of Component cables in there with big YELLOW STICKERS that read US ME I WILL MAKE PICTURE BETTER.

pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pimperjones
Member since 2006 • 3116 Posts

[QUOTE="mikeslemonade"]Well half of HDTV owners don't even have HD media. I never understood why would you buy hardware before you have media to support it. Hardware prices get cheaper and media doesn't get cheaper.mmirza23

ACtually media alos getrs cheaper look at DVD prices now.
B-Minus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 B-Minus
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
It's too bad that people don't know how to get the most from their system. It is true that most people have no clue on how to get the most from that HDTV they bought. I know I am playing in 1080i for the few games that support it. Sony should have included the component wires at least though. I did not like buying more stuff when I paid that much for a system.
mmirza23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mmirza23
[QUOTE="mmirza23"]

[QUOTE="mikeslemonade"]Well half of HDTV owners don't even have HD media. I never understood why would you buy hardware before you have media to support it. Hardware prices get cheaper and media doesn't get cheaper.pimperjones

ACtually media alos getrs cheaper look at DVD prices now.

Well you're right prices have been steadily falling since the early days of DVD, but I think more recently in the past year its been because of the influx of the new disc formats (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray) as long as something new comes out, the old tech will continue to fall you're right.

RahKayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 RahKayne
Member since 2003 • 3436 Posts
90%   I call bull****
grouser22001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 grouser22001
Member since 2003 • 151 Posts
i love playin ninja gaiden on my 60 inch sony!!!!:)
mmirza23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mmirza23

90%   I call bull****RahKayne

haha the title said OVER 90%...

sammysalsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sammysalsa
Member since 2004 • 1832 Posts
i think that most people would assume that if you buy a HD console with bluray and the works that it would come with HD cables. i think that its pretty weak that it dosent come with them.
Schumi7WDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Schumi7WDC
Member since 2004 • 1689 Posts

Some of you make me laugh, you act like we should care, or that you actually do give a sh1t.  This isn't some starving kid in africa, or a family that lost thier home from a hurricane, or a homeless man on the street, these are dipsh1t people that are among the spoiled to begin with, anyone who can afford a PS3 and an HDTV, is not someone who should be felt sorry for. These are people living well enough, and just because they are too stupid to understand thier electronics, I should feel sorry for them, or care in any way?  To hell you say.

One other thing, this is just some podunk survey, your lucky if it's of a thousand people, probably more like 100 or so, and take a look at the stores they chose, Walmart shoppers on average are the dumbest people on the civilized planet, they roam around like fat cattle looking for kleenex to be on sale, and the game shoppers there are even moref pathetic, they think they found a deal by saving 5 bucks on a 2 year old game from the magic case.  And then they go over to Sam's club and buy thier mighty Vizio TV.  Give me a break.  I dare you to go into an EB for 10 minutes and listen to the stupid crap that the idiot customers ask the clueless store clerks and not bust out laughing in the corner.  I dare you.  And Best Buy while the better of the 3 stores, those people aren't exactly rocket scientists either.  On average I'm saying, we've all been in those stores from time to time, but we should all see that most of the people in those stores are idiots. 

So what I am getting at, is that while it wouldn't suprise me if that many people didn't know how to properly set up thier PS3s, the real number is probably not even close to what they got in this survey.  It's just a very small percentage of a very ignorant group of consumers. 

Diablo2343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Diablo2343
Member since 2003 • 982 Posts

Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and EB games are where they took their data from....ok lets see...people that goto Wal Mart for HD tv's have no clue what they are buying.  People that goto Best Buy are told what they should buy and why are they asking people at EBgames they dont sell TV's....Coming from LV, they were probably too drunk anyways to tell the difference.

LiquidMetal14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LiquidMetal14
Member since 2003 • 8196 Posts
I guess i'm part of that 10% then.videogameplaya2
Ditto.
Shu76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Shu76
Member since 2006 • 913 Posts

Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and EB games are where they took their data from....ok lets see...people that goto Wal Mart for HD tv's have no clue what they are buying. People that goto Best Buy are told what they should buy and why are they asking people at EBgames they dont sell TV's....Coming from LV, they were probably too drunk anyways to tell the difference.

Diablo2343

Amen.  

necrosugarbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 necrosugarbear
Member since 2003 • 118 Posts
people dont know how to get the most out of their products just like how people who buy a new big monitor for their computer but dont know what the right resolution is.  its their loss.  sucks but we cant help them.
Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts
Its sad how nobody reads the instruction booklets packaged. They are 20 pages long most of the time and have all the stuff you need to know. No wonder there is just so many stupid questions around in this boards.
alberto2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 alberto2045
Member since 2005 • 1591 Posts

Over 90% gave a response which resulted in a scenario where the signal displayed was no higher than 480p, most of which said "I just used the cables Sony packaged in." For those who were aware of HD cables failed to change the systems display settings to 720p / 1080i/p.

I thought this was kind of interesting, if Sony isn't going to package in the appropiate cables, they should really make it idiot - proof (basically, shove onscreen messages telling people HD cables are needed for HD signals) during installation, or just include the appropiate accessories out of the box.

It's actually kind of surprising the press hasn't gotten on Sony's case regarding this issue.
Sexy_FFVII

lol man why would you even post this am sure everyone in here knows that you cant get HD signal witth the cables that Sony gives you they even said that. YOU NEED an HDMI CABLE for everything thats so called "HD," EVERYTHING!!! why can you people just get that you can play you PS3 on any TV but if you want High Definition (HD)  you need an HD TV and an HDMI (theres another cable but HDMI cables are the best) no if you cant see the diference between 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p (1080i and 1080p are almost the same but 1080p is the best) THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM

grouser22001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 grouser22001
Member since 2003 • 151 Posts
you have to research what u are buying your u will end up with some best buy crap!
Absynthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Absynthetic
Member since 2004 • 1897 Posts

As for Sony I have never seen such a stupid decision. Why would you release a system based on HD and not include a pair of HD cables right out of the box? Even Microsoft gave users the option with their component and composite cable. Not a problem though I went out and bought a $150 dollar Monster HDMI cable. Regardless they could of added a pair of HD cables.

TheJuggla17

why would they when less than 15% of the market own hdtv's and the other 85% havent upgraded yet?

TheJuggla17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TheJuggla17
[QUOTE="TheJuggla17"]

Absynthetic

why would they when less than 15% of the market own hdtv's and the other 85% havent upgraded yet?

You fail to understand what I am saying. Sony could of done with Microsoft did and included a cable that can do both Composite and Component to give people a choice. Instead for people who already have an HDTV they have to put out even more money to get the full experience out of their TV's and Playstation 3's. How can you advertise 1080p when the system you are advertiseing cannot preform it out of the box? That would be like Nintendo advertising motion control and not include the Wii-Mote out of the box. Or even Microsoft promoting the Xbox 360 being built around Xbox Live and not include an ethernet cable. Sony made a bad decison not including HD cables out of the box.

Abby88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 Abby88
Member since 2004 • 642 Posts

If people are too stupid to, I don't know, at least flip through the instruction manuals that come with the things they spend multiple hundreds of dollars on, then that's their own fault. You can't blame Sony for people being stupid. And as has been pointed out, it makes more sense for them to include composite cables than HDMI because most people don't even HAVE HDTVs yet.

I doubt the numbers are really that high, anyway. 

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

HA :lol: people are dumb.Paper_Knife

no they're not.  they're just electronics-illiterate.  Most people are. 

claymation71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 claymation71
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="Sexy_FFVII"]

[QUOTE="RoyTheViking"]Who cares? So other people aren't getting the most out of their HDTV(s). I really don't care. Its their loss. Sony, like all the other companies aren't saying anything because there is nothing to gain from making an announcement.RoyTheViking

Your a bright one?...why respond? if you dont care why read the post? and then treat the post like its directed at you.

I care because not everyone is as smart and as bright as you are. Atleast he put the post out for first time playstation3 buyers who might not had known about that fact of information genuis. I can tell you was the head of your class.

Thanks for puttin that info out royviking for those OF US WHO DO CARE.

The_Tombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 The_Tombo
Member since 2005 • 3537 Posts

Some of you make me laugh, you act like we should care, or that you actually do give a sh1t. This isn't some starving kid in africa, or a family that lost thier home from a hurricane, or a homeless man on the street, these are dipsh1t people that are among the spoiled to begin with, anyone who can afford a PS3 and an HDTV, is not someone who should be felt sorry for. These are people living well enough, and just because they are too stupid to understand thier electronics, I should feel sorry for them, or care in any way? To hell you say.

One other thing, this is just some podunk survey, your lucky if it's of a thousand people, probably more like 100 or so, and take a look at the stores they chose, Walmart shoppers on average are the dumbest people on the civilized planet, they roam around like fat cattle looking for kleenex to be on sale, and the game shoppers there are even moref pathetic, they think they found a deal by saving 5 bucks on a 2 year old game from the magic case. And then they go over to Sam's club and buy thier mighty Vizio TV. Give me a break. I dare you to go into an EB for 10 minutes and listen to the stupid crap that the idiot customers ask the clueless store clerks and not bust out laughing in the corner. I dare you. And Best Buy while the better of the 3 stores, those people aren't exactly rocket scientists either. On average I'm saying, we've all been in those stores from time to time, but we should all see that most of the people in those stores are idiots.

So what I am getting at, is that while it wouldn't suprise me if that many people didn't know how to properly set up thier PS3s, the real number is probably not even close to what they got in this survey. It's just a very small percentage of a very ignorant group of consumers.

Schumi7WDC

agreed. 

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

TheJuggla17

You aren't in a very good position to be commenting on other's decisions when you paid $150 for a cable that can be bought for $10.

Avatar image for deactivated-62b9a76fce1c1
deactivated-62b9a76fce1c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-62b9a76fce1c1
Member since 2006 • 710 Posts
The PS3 should not come bundled with HD cable, because people who don't have a hdmi capable T.V. will be paying extra or Sony will be wasting money in putting them in...
Radiozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Radiozo
Member since 2006 • 2413 Posts
So people are too damn stupid to read the manual? It clearly states which cables you need for HD.
snoopy501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 snoopy501
Member since 2006 • 210 Posts

Some of you make me laugh, you act like we should care, or that you actually do give a sh1t. This isn't some starving kid in africa, or a family that lost thier home from a hurricane, or a homeless man on the street, these are dipsh1t people that are among the spoiled to begin with, anyone who can afford a PS3 and an HDTV, is not someone who should be felt sorry for. These are people living well enough, and just because they are too stupid to understand thier electronics, I should feel sorry for them, or care in any way? To hell you say.

One other thing, this is just some podunk survey, your lucky if it's of a thousand people, probably more like 100 or so, and take a look at the stores they chose, Walmart shoppers on average are the dumbest people on the civilized planet, they roam around like fat cattle looking for kleenex to be on sale, and the game shoppers there are even moref pathetic, they think they found a deal by saving 5 bucks on a 2 year old game from the magic case. And then they go over to Sam's club and buy thier mighty Vizio TV. Give me a break. I dare you to go into an EB for 10 minutes and listen to the stupid crap that the idiot customers ask the clueless store clerks and not bust out laughing in the corner. I dare you. And Best Buy while the better of the 3 stores, those people aren't exactly rocket scientists either. On average I'm saying, we've all been in those stores from time to time, but we should all see that most of the people in those stores are idiots.

So what I am getting at, is that while it wouldn't suprise me if that many people didn't know how to properly set up thier PS3s, the real number is probably not even close to what they got in this survey. It's just a very small percentage of a very ignorant group of consumers.

Schumi7WDC
u R 100% RIGHT