Opinions on PS3 as Bluray/DVD player?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jstarzyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 jstarzyk
Member since 2004 • 3507 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a PS3 for the Blu-Ray and DVD capabilities. I'm just curious what everyone's opinions are on the Blu-Ray aspects. Does it run Blu-Ray discs quickly and quietly? Also, does anyone know if it upscales regular DVD's? Thanks in advance for your help!
Dawson82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Dawson82
Member since 2007 • 926 Posts
ps3 is the best brd player out there and dvds look great on hdmi,i cant hear the system running,something to do with the soround system,loud as .......
jacky531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jacky531
Member since 2007 • 1121 Posts
well I'm not sure about the blu-ray aspects but for dvd I played some in my PS3 and few dvds look much better on my PS3 then my dvd player
silver2kone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 silver2kone
Member since 2003 • 207 Posts
The PS3 is an excellent blu ray and dvd player. Plus the blu ray can be updated with firmwares. Well worth it
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts
Has been working great as my primary bd / dvd player.
creekfan_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 creekfan_basic
Member since 2002 • 2539 Posts
so far I am finding the ps3 to be a very competent bluray player and the fact that it can easily be upgraded over PSN as we go is even better
bruce-leroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bruce-leroy
Member since 2006 • 1325 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a PS3 for the Blu-Ray and DVD capabilities. I'm just curious what everyone's opinions are on the Blu-Ray aspects. Does it run Blu-Ray discs quickly and quietly? Also, does anyone know if it upscales regular DVD's? Thanks in advance for your help!jstarzyk
the PS3 makes for an excellent BD player. it is hase the latest BD specs, and can download new ones as they are released. it also has a faster load time than most of the other players. it has hdmi1.3 output wich is not on all BD players. it upscales normal dvd to 1080p. it is well built and reliable, and runs quiet for the most part. to put it simply it gives you all of the benafits of a $1500 player for hundreds less. not to mention the bluetooth remote means you can put in your AV closet and not worry about it. oh yeah and it plays games;)
DaddyLongCaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaddyLongCaddy
Member since 2007 • 844 Posts
It IS NOT the best blu-ray player out there, but it is the best value and it gets constant firmware updates. DVDs are upscaled nicely through HDMI, and the system runs quietly.
BadSmerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 BadSmerf
Member since 2006 • 301 Posts
Its a great option for blu-rays. I bought the PS3 largely based on the blu-ray capabilities, and haven't been dissapointed.
Avatar image for 218409372945592235589581321688

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 218409372945592235589581321688
Member since 2007 • 618 Posts
Fantastic...one of the better blu-ray players. The play back is great, its very quiet and it is future proof. Through firmware updates you will be able to keep up with the latest blu-ray profiles (1.1 and 1.2) to take advantage of all the technology on the blu-ray discs. The remote sony makes is a nice little piece to get too for watching movies and its typically under $20 on amazon.
mclovin401

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mclovin401
Member since 2007 • 899 Posts
a very quiet cool machine... i dont have to force my tv to compete with a noisy dvd player *cough* 360 cough*
Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts
Best BluRay player for the price, I'd wager. And the upscaler kicks the stuffing out of 360's. Not a bad DVD player. The menu makes it easy to access subtitles and alt language tracks etc.
jstarzyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 jstarzyk
Member since 2004 • 3507 Posts
Best BluRay player for the price, I'd wager. And the upscaler kicks the stuffing out of 360's. Not a bad DVD player. The menu makes it easy to access subtitles and alt language tracks etc.Generic_Dude
That's because the 360 doesn't upscale to HD quality (it only goes to 480p on standard DVD's, which is one of the reasons I am considering the PS3). I figured it was the best for the price, but what I'm worried about is that it would be like buying one of the first DVD players (which were typically slow to load things between screens, etc).
plzpassdarice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 plzpassdarice
Member since 2003 • 28 Posts
you wont go wrong with a ps3 being a BD player. havent have problems with it so far and the consistent firmware upgrades will just make it better.
TJsimulation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 TJsimulation
Member since 2004 • 1982 Posts
Good Blu Ray Disc Movie player; Upscaled DVDs ftw.
nfsmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 nfsmaster
Member since 2003 • 517 Posts

I figured it was the best for the price, but what I'm worried about is that it would be like buying one of the first DVD players (which were typically slow to load things between screens, etc).

No. The Playstation 3 to me is an excellent DVD player. It switches between screens extremely fast and there is a top menu button as you're playing the DVD (Triangle) to speed things up even more. Of course you're also getting around 1080P upscaling too with loads of features and settings you can mess with.

creekfan_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 creekfan_basic
Member since 2002 • 2539 Posts

[QUOTE="Generic_Dude"]Best BluRay player for the price, I'd wager. And the upscaler kicks the stuffing out of 360's. Not a bad DVD player. The menu makes it easy to access subtitles and alt language tracks etc.jstarzyk
That's because the 360 doesn't upscale to HD quality (it only goes to 480p on standard DVD's, which is one of the reasons I am considering the PS3). I figured it was the best for the price, but what I'm worried about is that it would be like buying one of the first DVD players (which were typically slow to load things between screens, etc).

360 upscales just fine using VGA or HDMI

nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nosferatu
Member since 2002 • 4292 Posts

It IS NOT the best blu-ray player out there, but it is the best value and it gets constant firmware updates. DVDs are upscaled nicely through HDMI, and the system runs quietly.DaddyLongCaddy

It IS the best pure BD player out there. Most of the people at the AVS forums who have BD players have PS3s. That's because there are only 2 1.1 players out there and the PS3 is one of them. The other is the highly flawed Sharp. The PS3 is also the only player currently out that is capable of being upgraded to the final 2.0 spec. Add in that it's also one of, if not the, cheapest player out the, plays games, and has media center capabilities. To me that says it's the best.

Then add in the fact that it has the best response times and loading times and I think we have a winner. It's 1 weakness is its audio format output. It is not capable of the very high end outputs, but for the VAST majority of people without multi-thousand dollar systems, that's not a big deal. DD+ can sound just as good as TrueHD (and the DTS equivalents are the same) as long as it's mixed right.

dalscowboys22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 dalscowboys22
Member since 2005 • 1335 Posts
It IS NOT the best blu-ray player out there, but it is the best value and it gets constant firmware updates. DVDs are upscaled nicely through HDMI, and the system runs quietly.DaddyLongCaddy
actually you are wrong, there is no other blu-ray player that is considered truly better said by a guy who i am ordering home theater components from and he says some people put it in there theater because of its blu-ray capabilitys and games plus the value. soooo
BonoBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BonoBoy
Member since 2002 • 587 Posts

[QUOTE="DaddyLongCaddy"]It IS NOT the best blu-ray player out there, but it is the best value and it gets constant firmware updates. DVDs are upscaled nicely through HDMI, and the system runs quietly.dalscowboys22
actually you are wrong, there is no other blu-ray player that is considered truly better said by a guy who i am ordering home theater components from and he says some people put it in there theater because of its blu-ray capabilitys and games plus the value. soooo

We are currently renovating our basement...when it is done we will be buying another HD set...prolly a 50" Panny plasma...we already have a 42" Viera and we love it...when we do I will be buying a 40 GB PS3 as my BD player...that's how much I love my 80 GB as our current player...I have yet to find something I don't like about it and the firmware updates are a snap.

I think people just see it as taboo because of PS2's legacy as only a so-so DVD player...PS3 is a whole different ballgame when it comes to HDM playback

DaddyLongCaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaddyLongCaddy
Member since 2007 • 844 Posts

[QUOTE="DaddyLongCaddy"]It IS NOT the best blu-ray player out there, but it is the best value and it gets constant firmware updates. DVDs are upscaled nicely through HDMI, and the system runs quietly.nosferatu

It IS the best pure BD player out there. Most of the people at the AVS forums who have BD players have PS3s. That's because there are only 2 1.1 players out there and the PS3 is one of them. The other is the highly flawed Sharp. The PS3 is also the only player currently out that is capable of being upgraded to the final 2.0 spec. Add in that it's also one of, if not the, cheapest player out the, plays games, and has media center capabilities. To me that says it's the best.

Then add in the fact that it has the best response times and loading times and I think we have a winner. It's 1 weakness is its audio format output. It is not capable of the very high end outputs, but for the VAST majority of people without multi-thousand dollar systems, that's not a big deal. DD+ can sound just as good as TrueHD (and the DTS equivalents are the same) as long as it's mixed right.

Did I not say it was the best value? I know it has firmware updates, I stated that as well. Sure the PS3 has the most features and it supports 1.1 but in terms of PQ and Sound Options it IS NOT the best. The Pioneer BDP-95FD is supposedly the best right now.

jshigashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jshigashi
Member since 2007 • 528 Posts

I agree with it's the best value, but not best overall argument (well it is the best overall by far because it plays games and has a ton of other multimedia capabilities)... as a blu-ray player it is great and one of the best, but does not perform as well as some others.

It often is a bit louder than a lot of players, and most importantly (to me at least)... it doesn't have the ability to either decode DTS-MA (high def audio track present on a lot of Fox BD's) or pass of the raw bitstream.

That all being said... compared to my (low end) Tosh A2 HD-DVD player... PS3 blows that out of the water.