Ok now GTA got a 10 What Will MGS get?

• 167 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RobC20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RobC20
Member since 2007 • 159 Posts
What do you think gamespot will give MGS?
SuperMario254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SuperMario254
Member since 2003 • 2897 Posts
anywhere from 0 - 0.5 because its a ps3 exclusive
Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts
I don't think so, I think it will get a 9.5, but in other sites I think might give it that scores, either way I don't care.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#4 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
We'll have to wait and see.. in the meantime.. enjoy GTAIV.
Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

anywhere from 0 - 0.5 because its a ps3 exclusiveSuperMario254

probably

AgentH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AgentH
Member since 2004 • 4636 Posts

anywhere from 0 - 0.5 because its a ps3 exclusiveSuperMario254

True. But seriously, GameSpot gave Portable Ops a 9, and since MGS4 is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more advanced than all previous MGS games combined, it will probably be either a 9.5 or a 10.

Why would they give it a 9.5 when the game is flawless based on all the previous after the Boot Camp, not to mention the feedbacks they got from sites like IGN and GamePro etc... The previews were AMAZING not a single negative thing was cited in all of the previous, and that's during the Boot Camp, so Kojima and team haven't applied the necessary things to be changed or adjusted according to the feedbacks which we have no clue what they were. So if IGN said it was "freaking AWESOME" in the preview, I don't know what they would say in their review considering the final built would be the superior version with all the tweaks to make it PERFECT and FLAWLESS! I don't see why they would give it a 9.5 when it deserves a perfect 10 with a "+" next to it.

IGN's editor had to say this in the end:

"
As I said earlier, there's only so much I can go into right now, but this is the system seller that we've all known Metal Gear Solid 4 was going to be. This preview has only scratched the surface; we haven't even described some of the bosses, radical and innovative game mechanics, or other features that make this title a fitting conclusion to one of the best franchises in gaming."

GamePro quotes as a reminder for those who still doubt a 10:

The graphics: You thought Gears of War looked amazing? Think again. Metal Gear Solid 4 will blow you away with its ultra-detailed characters and intricate environments, painting some of the most gorgeous graphics seen this side of Crysis. In motion, the graphics look so realistic that your eyes begin to register the visuals as a movie rather than a game. From what we saw, MGS4 puts its 50GB Blu-ray disc to outstanding use.

The guns: The final game will feature over 70 weapons, from lethal assault rifles to silent tranquilizer guns, and you can outfit many of them with scopes, recoil grips, laser sights, flashlights, and more. Collecting enemy weapons will unlock new guns and "Drebin Points" for further customization. There are 70+ guns in all.

The sound: MGS4 has some of the crispest, clearest sound effects we've ever heard -- the booming gunshots will make your hair stand on end! The Hollywood soundtrack is also predictably fantastic, and Snake's raspy voice sounds more desiccated than ever. GamePro editor Sid Shuman went so far as to say that MGS4 has "the best sound I've ever heard in a game."

The story: MGS4 is the darkest Metal Gear game by far: Snake is in terrible physical shape, and the world seems to rest on the brink of self-inflicted annihilation. Though the mood is dark, it's not depressing: you'll find plenty of characters to care about in this war-torn world.

There you have it!

sm0ke311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sm0ke311
Member since 2006 • 1069 Posts
i give mgob 8.5 gs points i think mgs with beta will get over 9 im sure.
SuperMario254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SuperMario254

hey dude (agentH) did you get into the beta?

AgentH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AgentH

hey dude did you get into the beta?

SuperMario254

Me? No. I got the SAGA disk with the code but I gave away the code to a friend for the following reasons:

1) I'd rather wait till MGS4 comes out.
2) I'd like to be first surprised by the gameplay when I play MGS4.
3) MGO BETA would spoil that for me.

So basically, I'll play MGS4 first, then go for the online. Then a week later, replay MGS4 all over again and again and again and again!

TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheLegendKnight

[QUOTE="SuperMario254"]anywhere from 0 - 0.5 because its a ps3 exclusiveAgentH

True. But seriously, GameSpot gave Portable Ops a 9, and since MGS4 is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more advanced than all previous MGS games combined, it will probably be either a 9.5 or a 10.

LONG TEXT

( check the original post )

but MGS4 wont have online feature they make MGO for that, so thats -9.0 points

SuperMario254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SuperMario254

lol ok, cause i remember you, always posting stuff about MGS and the such, and i remember someone witth the same avatar as you saying they arnt in the beta and someone else was surprised so it must have been you that said you wernt, i figured if anyone really deserved to play it would be you, was gonna lend you my account for the day seeing as i was going to be out of state anyway :D but nvm then continue with said conversation about ratings

but on a serious note to my 0-0.5 comment, obviously just a big joke *i hope everyone that comes in here can figure that out* to give it a real rating, having played the beta and loving every second of it and plan to play it untill it closes before i even touch my copy of gta4 i would say they would rank it around the 9-10 area

AgentH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AgentH
[QUOTE="AgentH"]

[QUOTE="SuperMario254"]anywhere from 0 - 0.5 because its a ps3 exclusiveTheLegendKnight

LONG TEXT

( check the original post )

but MGS4 wont have online feature they make MGO for that, so thats -9.0 points

MGS4 has an online feature >>> MGO which comes as a starter pack.
Anyway, MGS4 and MGO are going to be reviewed separately because MGO has its own board in all of the forums.

AgentH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AgentH

lol ok, cause i remember you, always posting stuff about MGS and the such, and i remember someone witth the same avatar as you saying they arnt in the beta and someone else was surprised so it must have been you that said you wernt, i figured if anyone really deserved to play it would be you, was gonna lend you my account for the day seeing as i was going to be out of state anyway :D but nvm then continue with said conversation about ratings

but on a serious note to my 0-0.5 comment, obviously just a big joke *i hope everyone that comes in here can figure that out* to give it a real rating, having played the beta and loving every second of it and plan to play it untill it closes before i even touch my copy of gta4 i would say they would rank it around the 9-10 area

SuperMario254

Thanks, but like I said I'd rather wait, and I am getting GTAIV to help me with that until the big thing comes out on June 12th!

PS: Although after seeing the new map and new mode with Snake added in the BETA, I kinda regret, but I'll live with it. :P
SuperMario254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SuperMario254
np :)
cheesearse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cheesearse
Member since 2004 • 73 Posts
aka_aj03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 aka_aj03
Member since 2004 • 5911 Posts

I'm going to buy a new HDTV just for MGSIV.

AnFangs_Endes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 AnFangs_Endes
Member since 2007 • 3785 Posts

Gamespot?

AgentH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AgentH

I'm going to buy a new HDTV just for MGSIV.

aka_aj03

I'm getting a surround system 5.1 just for MGS4! ;)

FearTheRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FearTheRain
Member since 2008 • 1470 Posts

GTA IV is far from a 10...I'm sick of all the ****ing BIAS. The game is repetitive and boring.

As for MGS4. Its going to get a 9.5

aka_aj03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 aka_aj03

Here at Gamespot, the score got bump from 9.5 to 10.0 for some reason. Probably the other sites were flaming gs or some type of money was involve for the ads or something.

To

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts
I love all GTA games, but even though I haven't played the game, I don't think it deserves a 10 (no tanks, no planes), and I think that MGS4 will be better, but will not get a 10
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheLegendKnight

MGS4 has an online feature >>> MGO which comes as a starter pack.
Anyway, MGS4 and MGO are going to be reviewed separately because MGO has its own board in all of the forums.

AgentH

you are too much positivist lol

just remember GoW:CoO

GTA IV is far from a 10...I'm sick of all the ****ing BIAS. The game is repetitive and boring.

As for MGS4. Its going to get a 9.5

FearTheRain

GTA4 is probably deserving that score. all GTA games were 9.6, so GTA4's 10 is no big deal.

aka_aj03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 aka_aj03
Also, we can confirm that gs is bias towared toward the ps3... if MGSIV get 10 on all other sites... and it get something like 9.0 or 9.5 here for the reasons I gave above on how the gta score got bump to 10.
AgentH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AgentH

Here at Gamespot, the score got bump from 9.5 to 10.0 for some reason. Probably the other sites were flaming gs or some type of money was involve for the ads or something.

To

aka_aj03

I noticed that too. Weird huh?

@ FearTheRain:

I hear what you're saying and I think you're right about the score, I mean it's too much, and 10 for the graphics? are they kidding me?

TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheLegendKnight

I love all GTA games, but even though I haven't played the game, I don't think it deserves a 10 (no tanks, no planes), and I think that MGS4 will be better, but will not get a 10Darth_Kane

oh i didnt know that... then it doesnt deserve a 10 definitely because planes and tanks were always so much fun in GTA

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

Rather than claiming bias or money, I can tell you the reason for the score "bump" was simple.

The 9.5 was a red herring to see how people would react. Sure enough, people flipped out over it not getting a 10, and people are still angry that the score was "changed." The real score was 10, and if they felt it was a 9.5, it would have stayed that way. Whenever there's a change in the score or review, there's a note explaining why. In this case, everyone got duped when they put a 9.5 up.

FearTheRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FearTheRain

Rather than claiming bias or money, I can tell you the reason for the score "bump" was simple.

The 9.5 was a red herring to see how people would react. Sure enough, people flipped out over it not getting a 10, and people are still angry that the score was "changed." The real score was 10, and if they felt it was a 9.5, it would have stayed that way. Whenever there's a change in the score or review, there's a note explaining why. In this case, everyone got duped when they put a 9.5 up.

MAILER_DAEMON

Are you the spokesperson for Gamespot?

or is this just an opinion like everyone else here on the forum?

TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheLegendKnight

MAILER_DAEMON

people may make mistakes too, maybe accidently the reviewer gave 9.5. personally i didnt think that as something bad but this red herring issue is more disturbing imo. Checking our temper ? I can say thats false method

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

MAILER_DAEMON

Your attempt to bail GameSpot out failed, 'cos if they wanted to see that reaction they would put something like a 6. Nobody ever reacted why the other GTA games never got a 10, people are angry because of the 10

Plus, there would have been a message from GameSpot explaining all this if that was the case

a 9.5 is the score for GTA4

porkchopxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 porkchopxp
Member since 2004 • 1181 Posts

Speculation about what score MGS4 will get based on what GTA4 received is useless. They are completely different genres and made for completely different audiences. Considering the nature and scope of a GTA game Rockstar's goal is to appeal to a gamer's curiousity and experimentation. I'm not a fan of the series but I say Kudos to them for not only satisfying those aspects but for delivering a tight story with entertaining characters. When you get all those parts of a game working in such a large gameworld and add a killer online component the REVIEW SCORE is bound to be high.

Kojima's goal is a much harder. His universe is not based on reality(if GTA4's can be loosely considered a slice of nyc), his characters(i.e. the bosses) are very polarizing in terms of appeal and the story will probably be the typical "tumble down the Snake hole," that the series is known for . . . Plus there probably isn't that much of a leap in gameplay where reviewers will go "Holy s@#T!" Make no mistake, MGS4 will probably be a great chapter(possibly THE greatest) in the MGS series but its asthetics appeal to a specific type of gamer and not every reviewer is liable to "get it." If by some chance all the comments from folks at all these sites and magazines are accurate regarding gameplay mechanics adopting more GRAW/Gears friendliness, then MGS4 could indeed see average scores in the mid-90s, however, I'm expecting a 9.0 from Gamespot considering the 8.7 SnakeEater recieved. If the complete MGO was included with MGS4 then we might have seen a 9.5.

Personally, Kojima can do no wrong with me and the game will please me but not everyone digs sitting thru hours of whacky, dialogue heavy cut-scenes like die-hard MGS fans like us.

RoyTheViking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RoyTheViking
Member since 2005 • 3574 Posts
8.5 or 9
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MAILER_DAEMON
It was from the chat yesterday during the marathon video. Whether or not you believe me is up to you.
aka_aj03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 aka_aj03

MAILER_DAEMON

wtf.. how people would react if gta got 9.5 lol... was this a survey or something.

people flipped over uncharted and ratchet reviews... and nothing happened.

fortysix_too

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 fortysix_too
Member since 2006 • 370 Posts
Regardless of what MGS4 gets or GTA4 gets, MGS4 will be the better game i'm sure. At least to me it will be. MGS games are my favorite of all time, with the best storyline of any game (or even movie imo). As for the GTA games, I liked blowing up cops and the high speed chases, but that gets old after a while, and the missions were always lack luster to me. This new one does look a whole lot better, though, so I will be going to pick up my preorder of it today. MGS4 will be better though. I think it will deserve a 10.
swatpup102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 swatpup102
Member since 2003 • 289 Posts

MAILER_DAEMON

That is about the lamest excuse I have ever seen. There is 0 chance that gamespot used GTA4 as a "red herring" to see how people would react and gave the game a 9.5 for that. The mods are already busy moderating people's comments for flipping out over scores and such, so why would they WANT to have that happen??? Don't buy it for a second, and neither does anyone else on this forum.

GEMINIVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GEMINIVice
Member since 2007 • 1139 Posts

What will MGS4 get? I would hope it gets a perfect score as well (no less than a 9.7 if not a perfect score). Then again, we're part of the western gaming community in which the preferred console is the 360. Therefore, I can't help but expect reviewers to be biased towards the PS3 exclusive when June comes around. No matter what Metal Gear Solid scores, I'm still getting it when it releases. Because, for the most part, all critic reviews are to me is someone else's personal opinion.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MAILER_DAEMON
[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]

swatpup102

That is about the lamest excuse I have ever seen. There is 0 chance that gamespot used GTA4 as a "red herring" to see how people would react and gave the game a 9.5 for that. The mods are already busy moderating people's comments for flipping out over scores and such, so why would they WANT to have that happen??? Don't buy it for a second, and neither does anyone else on this forum.

An editor said that in the chat yesterday, so if you don't want to buy it, I'm not forcing you to eat the truth. If you want to be angry about it, then that's also your choice.

I just never thought I'd see so many people get angry about a game getting a 10 for the first time in over 6 years.

Psychosisrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Psychosisrain
Member since 2006 • 931 Posts
swatpup102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 swatpup102

An editor said that in the chat yesterday, so if you don't want to buy it, I'm not forcing you to eat the truth. If you want to be angry about it, then that's also your choice.

I just never thought I'd see so many people get angry about a game getting a 10 for the first time in over 6 years.

If you weren't already the mod in charge of it, I would report that comment for "Intending solely to annoy and/or offend other users," as that was nothing but a directed comment intending to annoy or offend me.

I didn't say I was angry about it, I said I don't believe it. I didn't say you said it, I said it was a lame excuse for gamespot to say.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MAILER_DAEMON
[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]An editor said that in the chat yesterday, so if you don't want to buy it, I'm not forcing you to eat the truth. If you want to be angry about it, then that's also your choice.

swatpup102

If you weren't already the mod in charge of it, I would report that comment for "Intending solely to annoy and/or offend other users," as that was nothing but a directed comment intending to annoy or offend me.

I didn't say I was angry about it, I said I don't believe it. I didn't say you said it, I said it was a lame excuse for gamespot to say.

I'm not trying to annoy you, I'm simply telling it like it is... read my previous comments in this thread. The last comment wasn't directed at you either, but rather everyone who complained.

Besides, I was wrong. It wasn't a red herring, but in the chat last night, Lark was making a joke about the mess-up earlier: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26367274

That's the real story. I've seen it before, where the score goes up, comes down, then comes back later. Heck, Knights of the Old Republic had a 0.0 before the real review went up and it was fixed. In other words, never believe the score until there's a review to go with it. That's the real answer, or "excuse" as so many people will put it, since they're convinced of a bias that doesn't exist.

Hishiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Hishiko
Member since 2005 • 449 Posts

swatpup102

Mod in charge of what? You're gonna report him for trolling? That is priceless :lol:

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MAILER_DAEMON
[QUOTE="swatpup102"]

Hishiko

Mod in charge of what? You're gonna report him for trolling? That is priceless :lol:

I don't even know what I'm in charge of... if people think I'm "the" mod "in charge" of the PS3 board, then they have no idea how the moderation system works here.
aka_aj03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 aka_aj03

Mailer_Daemon, what your opinion on the GTAIV review... did you play the game yet, what do you think of the game itself?

Also what you think how will MGSIV will turn out?

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MAILER_DAEMON

Mailer_Daemon, what your opinion on the GTAIV review... did you play the game yet, what do you think of the game itself?

Also what you think how will MGSIV will turn out?

aka_aj03

Having not played the game yet, all I can say is that I'm genuinely shocked that GS has rated a game a 10 for the first time in 6 and a half years. :shock: I'll probably pick it up in the next few weeks, when I've got the money to do so.

As for MGS4, I don't bother to speculate over review scores, because I care more about how the game actually turns out. If I based everything on review scores, I wouldn't have bothered with the .hack series or the newest Fire Emblem game. In any case, I'm hoping MGS4 is as good as it's supposed to be, as these delays have been rather annoying. I'm glad they didn't release it until the DualShock 3 was the standard, though. My dislike of the SIXAXIS is well-documented. ;)

That said, I do care about review scores for one reason: the anger/hatred/frustration that people get from them make my e-life as a moderator much more difficult. :(

swatpup102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 swatpup102

I don't even know what I'm in charge of... if people think I'm "the" mod "in charge" of the PS3 board, then they have no idea how the moderation system works here.

In other words, If I were to fill out a mod thing, you would be the one who could mod someone for it....and you or any other mods are obviously not gonna repremand each other...so there would be no point.
But anyways, since this is off topic, back to the topic!

FearTheRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FearTheRain

Mailer-Daemon

You seem like you try to bring up some good points, but you fail to deliver the message truthfully. I suppose its wither the way you are or your just holding back the way you really feel because your obsessed with Gamespot.

In any regard, GTA is an 8.5 at best. Its not a 10 in any regard. Here's my non-biased review:

9 - Graphics are good. Seen some frame-rate and loading issues when flying the helicopter, other times as well around the city in diverse situations.

8 - Gameplay is good, but the auto-aim feature is either hit or miss in regards that it's very stupid. Most of the time the auto-aim will lock on to a guy hiding behind a car. Switching to another opponent can be aggrevating.

8 - Sound is okay, not realistic. Radio stations are entertaining.

8 - Value. Most of the missions are the same. Once you beat this game, there is little replay value. If you love repetition, then you must buy this game.

9 - Tilt. Best GTA game in the series for the most part.

Overall - 8.5

Hishiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Hishiko
Member since 2005 • 449 Posts

You seem like you try to bring up some good points, but you fail to deliver the message truthfully. I suppose its wither the way you are or your just holding back the way you really feel because your obsessed with Gamespot.

FearTheRain

How do you want him to rate it based on not even playing it?

FearTheRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FearTheRain
[QUOTE="FearTheRain"]

Hishiko

How do you want him to rate it based on not even playing it?

I want him to condemn Gamespot for giving another biased crap review, but I guess I am asking to much. :P

potentv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 potentv
Member since 2008 • 288 Posts

What do you think gamespot will give MGS?RobC20

What is MGS? is that with solid snake?