Need help before getting a PSP

This topic is locked from further discussion.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

Guys, is there a major difference in using a microSD + converter than a MMS Pro Duo? It seems a significantly cheaper.

I have yet to own a PSP and don't know that much about the console.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Well, a converter and a micro-SD are going to stick out from the unit, make it not fit in any cases available (you'll DEFINITELY want one if you intend to take it with you places), could possibly get broken off, sticking out of the side when dropped... plus, remember that the weakest connection in a signal chain is usually anything with an adapter. A slightly faulty connection could result in corrupted data.

:?

Not saying that I know it will happen gauranteed, but that's what my 25 years as an audio professional says about it. Welcome to the PSP world! They're great lil' gizmos.

SEGAmaniac7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 SEGAmaniac7
Member since 2010 • 148 Posts

Guys, is there a major difference in using a microSD + converter than a MMS Pro Duo? It seems a significantly cheaper.

I have yet to own a PSP and don't know that much about the console.

j2zon2591
Ok, get a pro duo, but NOT from stores, an amazon.com you can find a 8gb sandisk (these are the best ones, better than Sony) for only like 25 bucks, or go to like stores with big sales like liquidations, once I saw a 4gb for 20 bucks. Just whatever you do dont go pay 40 bucks for a 2gb at a store. You can get better deals
j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 j2zon2591

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I should not risk it with the converter?

It's just so sad that a 4GB MMS P Duois 15 to 16 USD

while the other 8gb microSD + converter is just 20 USD

Hmm.. I was thinking of getting the Sony 4GB:

instead of this SanDisk

Why doesn't the SanDisk have a "Mark 2" certification? Does that really mean anything at all?

Again thanks for the tips.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonkeySpot

Why doesn't the SanDisk have a "Mark 2" certification? Does that really mean anything at all?

j2zon2591

The "MkII" designation is in reference to load speeds of the card. MkII cards read faster or write faster (I forget which), but it's not a quality which makes your PSP work any better, necessarily. That's more for other types of electrionics, not the PSP.

As far as buying a card, try Amazon.com or another site, and buy it over the net. I got a 16G card (Duo Pro MkII) for $45, I think it was, on sale. I got it a long time ago, so pardon my memory on the specifics. But you should be able to get one for around that, and 16G will make your PSP as capable as a Go in terms of storing DLC.

Hope this helps!

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 j2zon2591

Yes it helps^

Im still grieveing over the fact that you can make your 32 GB (x2 16 gb microSD + converter) for only 55 USD. You are lucky to get that 16 GB for 45 USD. I see them in amazon costing like 55 bucks.

I have a question though, What happens if I bought games digitally but it can't fit in my memory card anymore? Can Sony just "store" it for me and then I download them some other time?

Also, let's say I bought a digital game. Got bored with it and deleted it in my MMC. Can I "get" them back from "Sony" again for free? Or do I have to pay for it again? :(

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#7 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
Yeah, you can download a game a few times, so you should be cool.
j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 j2zon2591

Yeah, you can download a game a few times, so you should be cool.Daavpuke
You mean there's a limit?! How many times? I hope it's nothing like some games in PC where you can only install it 5 times and then you have to call the game company >.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#9 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts

[QUOTE="Daavpuke"]Yeah, you can download a game a few times, so you should be cool.j2zon2591

You mean there's a limit?! How many times? I hope it's nothing like some games in PC where you can only install it 5 times and then you have to call the game company >.

No clue; never had to use it. Just keep it on there. Are you seriously going to remove it more than 5 times?
j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 j2zon2591

[QUOTE="j2zon2591"]

[QUOTE="Daavpuke"]Yeah, you can download a game a few times, so you should be cool.Daavpuke

No clue; never had to use it. Just keep it on there. Are you seriously going to remove it more than 5 times?

With the constraint of having 4 or 2 gb only I can see myself doing that in a span of time although not that likely. As for the PC, I do reformat a lot for a fresh/clean drive.

Oh well. It's not like there are any games that I really like that only comes out as digital downloads (It's the opposite right?). And they tend to be more expensive they say. But it's kinda cool that you won't probably drain the bat. so much since the UMD drive doesn't have to spin and some loading times for specific games are improved right? Hmmm..

Hmm.. I guess I am not gonna get stuck with only 4 - 8 gb capacity sticks in the long run though. Not unless the 3DS completely steals the spotlight in my eyes in the next few months. xD

Sigh. Decisions decisions.

Thanks again for the comments.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MonkeySpot

Downloads can be licensed to a total of five (5) pieces of hardware under your PSN account, so you can have the title on your PS3, your PSP, and then you have three more "spaces" you can fill. Downloads can be done endlessly, (so no worries about deleting it, necessarily) but another option is to back your purchases up to your PC using Sony's free "Media Go" program available for free from Sony. It's a program like iTunes, essentially. Then you can drop things on and off your card at will if you choose to get a smaller capacity, and not have to even worry about an internet connection in order to re-manage your media on the system... though, 4G will hold a LOT of material. You'll be suprised.

Anything else? I'm glad we've been able to smooth your transition into the PSP...

:D

paladinqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 paladinqueen
Member since 2010 • 509 Posts

buy a psp 3000 ,very good...

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 j2zon2591

Thanks MonkeySpot.. hmm.. well I am still debating on actually getting one. A lot of people are suggesting to at least wait for the GoW Bundle or the next "price drop" w/c sounds kinda likely.

Cool! I can store the Downloaded games on my PC for future use or just in case I tire of the and delete them for my MMS? That would really be awesome if it's like that! :) Is it?

A few more questions later maybe? How are games saved? Can I save @ different "slots"? Example: If I want to have multiple saves on KH:BBS, GoW, Peace Walker, Monster hunter games, Crisis Core am I only allowed "one save slot" for each? Can I back these "save files" in my PC?

Also, I have played the PSOne/X Emu and I have saved games there. Can I import my Playstation One saved games to be used for PSOne Classics? Or do I have to jump through hoops to do that? xD

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MonkeySpot

I don't think there will be any significant price drops coming but I'm not the authority. Waiting for the new GoW bundle might be a good trigger to pull, the demo for GoW:GoS was ten shades of awesome so you really can't go wrong.

[QUOTE="j2zon2591"]Cool! I can store the Downloaded games on my PC for future use or just in case I tire of the and delete them for my MMS? That would really be awesome if it's like that! :) Is it?j2zon2591

Indeed it is, you have it correct!

A few more questions later maybe? How are games saved? Can I save @ different "slots"? Example: If I want to have multiple saves on KH:BBS, GoW, Peace Walker, Monster hunter games, Crisis Core am I only allowed "one save slot" for each? Can I back these "save files" in my PC?j2zon2591

Yep. Game saves can be backed up to Media Go as well, and it's as easy as using iTunes if you are familiar with that program at all.

Also, I have played the PSOne/X Emu and I have saved games there. Can I import my Playstation One saved games to be used for PSOne Classics? Or do I have to jump through hoops to do that? xDj2zon2591

Hmmm. Finally kind of stumped me... I'm not familiar with emu's and I think that's kind of a tabboo subject, actually... we can only discuss stuff what done-come out officially. Let us not invoke the wrath of Los Moderatos!

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 j2zon2591

LOL Monkey spot! Are you working for Sony!? xD Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. Also, My gut kinda agrees with you that the PSP won't have any "significant" price drop within 4 months. Maybe - 20 USD but that is almost nothing to pay for when I could have been enjoying the console right now IMO. Thanks again :)

10 Shades of Awesome xD Ahehehe.. I hope Ghost of Sparta has some good replay value or at least lasting more than 8 hours for the campaign :) I hope I'd really like it too since I liked DMC for the PS2 and PC before and it might be the first PSP game I'll "actually" play.

Thanks again.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MonkeySpot

LOL Monkey spot! Are you working for Sony!? xD Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. Also, My gut kinda agrees with you that the PSP won't have any "significant" price drop within 4 months. Maybe - 20 USD but that is almost nothing to pay for when I could have been enjoying the console right now IMO. Thanks again :)

10 Shades of Awesome xD Ahehehe.. I hope Ghost of Sparta has some good replay value or at least lasting more than 8 hours for the campaign :) I hope I'd really like it too since I liked DMC for the PS2 and PC before and it might be the first PSP game I'll "actually" play.

Thanks again.

j2zon2591

No worries... and if you're new to the PSP, don't forget that there's already a GoW game out ("Chains of Olympus") which is also a fantastic PSP title and you should be able to pick it up on UMD used for-cheaps (say, $10us, which I've seen at my local resale)... so you've got that going, which is nice...

And no, I don't work for Sony... I've just been hanging around GameSpot forums too long and have absorbed an inordinant amount of trivia and useless information!

Glad to be of service, enjoy the system there's certainly a LOT there to choose from. I love mine, take it everywhere. Has made business trips and getting stuck in airports an almost looked-forward-to event!

(In Fact there used to be a PSP commercial back at launch where a guy is told his flight has been delayed, and he smiles with PSP in-hand and says "Cool!")

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 j2zon2591

I am not sure but does having a "voucher" for God of War Chains of Olympus means the actual game as a digital download? It comes with the Ghost of Sparta Bundle?

I can totally see myself having times similar to you being on the airport, business flights and that guy who said "Cool".

One kinda sad part came up though. I am now debating over a PSP and a PS3 xD I have yet to own both and see both of them being very competitive in my case. I do not have a blue ray player and stay 95% at home but it seems to be fun having a portable gaming device so I will be somewhat "forced" to come out and go with my family because the main reason I usually say to myself is that I'd just get bored if I go out with them. They still value my physical presence even if I shove my mind unto a PSP xD.

Thanks again for the suggestions and still wondering what that "voucher" really means xD

digimonkey12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 digimonkey12
Member since 2009 • 1851 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I should not risk it with the converter?

It's just so sad that a 4GB MMS P Duois 15 to 16 USD

while the other 8gb microSD + converter is just 20 USD

Hmm.. I was thinking of getting the Sony 4GB:

instead of this SanDisk

j2zon2591

Why not use an adapter with M2 as I do. It is probably not cheaper but it feels faster than the ProDuo.

Sandisk 16GB M2 Memory Stick Micro Price: $31.99

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 j2zon2591

Wow! That sounds like an awesome deal! The customer reviews looks good too. The SanDisk branding gives me a little confidence about it than some other brands I have never heard of before. Thanks for the post and suggestions. Will definitely keep it in mind.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MonkeySpot

Thanks again for the suggestions and still wondering what that "voucher" really means xD

j2zon2591

Vouchers are most-likely for a download, yep. And by the way, you can trust everything that DigiMonkey says too... very sage gamer.

Sup, Monkey?

digimonkey12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 digimonkey12
Member since 2009 • 1851 Posts

Sup, Monkey ;)...ever had a different GS account ?

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MonkeySpot

digimonkey12

Indeed. For I was the mass of negativity known as "Ston3henge". I was getting nasty PMs and getting chased around the boards by a particularly tenacious turd so I made this account and stopped using the other entirely right after. about six months later, and for no reason, I got a 1 week time-out slapped on me by the mods for "Dodging". When I asked where the mod's help was when I reported the offender I was having trouble with, they claimed ignorance of the entire issue (which could only be a lie - I posted in "Ask The Mods" about this tool & everything, to no avail. I believe the offender had special consideration or other connections at the site).

Anyway, it's me. My secret is now officially out. Most of the regs I am friendly with picked up on my wordy posting style and highlighted responses right away...Like, PSPaddict knew it was me the first day I started posting as MonkeySpot.

blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
It's MUCH cheaper to buy a microsd or M2 card plus an adaptor than buying a memory stick duo.As long as you make sure the card you buy is make in either japan or korea then it will be good quality,if you buy one make in china you run the risk of not just counterfiet cards but low performace cards that make everything slower,such as transfering music,movies or games to your stick.The most popular is a dual microsd adapter,i forget the name of it but you can stick two microsd cards into one memory stick duo adapter and i haven't read many complaints about it,of course the best thing is just buy an official memory stick from sony but you have to pay around double for equal storage compared to microsd cards...
deejaypsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deejaypsp
Member since 2010 • 274 Posts

[QUOTE="digimonkey12"]

MonkeySpot

Indeed. For I was the mass of negativity known as "Ston3henge". I was getting nasty PMs and getting chased around the boards by a particularly tenacious turd so I made this account and stopped using the other entirely right after. about six months later, and for no reason, I got a 1 week time-out slapped on me by the mods for "Dodging". When I asked where the mod's help was when I reported the offender I was having trouble with, they claimed ignorance of the entire issue (which could only be a lie - I posted in "Ask The Mods" about this tool & everything, to no avail. I believe the offender had special consideration or other connections at the site).

Anyway, it's me. My secret is now officially out. Most of the regs I am friendly with picked up on my wordy posting style and highlighted responses right away...Like, PSPaddict knew it was me the first day I started posting as MonkeySpot.

Yo MonkeySpot, I've been meaning to ask about your profile avatar pic. Do you have a copy of that Steez print? Its awesome art... wish I could find one for myself :)
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

[QUOTE="digimonkey12"]

deejaypsp

Yo MonkeySpot, I've been meaning to ask about your profile avatar pic. Do you have a copy of that Steez print? Its awesome art... wish I could find one for myself :)

I Google Image searched it. Try entering "Sound Monkey", I think that's what I searched. I am a sound engineer by trade and often refer to myself as a Sound Monkey, hence the image. I love it too.

Thanks for the interest!

deejaypsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deejaypsp
Steez has some great stuff. Message me for more info; I guess I can't message you since you have a private profile :) On topic: I'm more than happy with my 16gig memory stick and i'd say that as long as one keeps up with a regular PC backup of the game saves/media/downloaded PSN stuff, you should be fine if and when its time to format for one reason or another. In fact, I use a 2 gig card to "play around with" if I decide to download demos or themes. Just something disposable that won't clutter my main memory stick. This method hasn't failed me yet :)
j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 j2zon2591

Steez has some great stuff. Message me for more info; I guess I can't message you since you have a private profile :) On topic: I'm more than happy with my 16gig memory stick and i'd say that as long as one keeps up with a regular PC backup of the game saves/media/downloaded PSN stuff, you should be fine if and when its time to format for one reason or another. In fact, I use a 2 gig card to "play around with" if I decide to download demos or themes. Just something disposable that won't clutter my main memory stick. This method hasn't failed me yet :)deejaypsp

Can I store it on several drives? Or it's only locked on a specific folder? Getting paranoid much xD

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 j2zon2591

It's MUCH cheaper to buy a microsd or M2 card plus an adaptor than buying a memory stick duo.As long as you make sure the card you buy is make in either japan or korea then it will be good quality,if you buy one make in china you run the risk of not just counterfiet cards but low performace cards that make everything slower,such as transfering music,movies or games to your stick.The most popular is a dual microsd adapter,i forget the name of it but you can stick two microsd cards into one memory stick duo adapter and i haven't read many complaints about it,of course the best thing is just buy an official memory stick from sony but you have to pay around double for equal storage compared to microsd cards...blacktorn

How do I know it's made from either JPN or KOR? I think you are talking about the Photofast 5400 Pro Duo Adapter? can use x2 16 GB micro SD for the PSP. There's a lot of complaints about it being so cheaply built but it's pretty tempting. 32 GB for 55 USD? That's just really good. The fail/lemon rate seems high though :(

deejaypsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deejaypsp

[QUOTE="deejaypsp"]Steez has some great stuff. Message me for more info; I guess I can't message you since you have a private profile :) On topic: I'm more than happy with my 16gig memory stick and i'd say that as long as one keeps up with a regular PC backup of the game saves/media/downloaded PSN stuff, you should be fine if and when its time to format for one reason or another. In fact, I use a 2 gig card to "play around with" if I decide to download demos or themes. Just something disposable that won't clutter my main memory stick. This method hasn't failed me yet :)j2zon2591

Can I store it on several drives? Or it's only locked on a specific folder? Getting paranoid much xD

You can back up any memory stick to however many PC drives you'd like, but that's mainly for themes you've downloaded from the internet, game saves, pictures, music, videos, etc. PSN stuff can be re-downloaded, but I have some PSOne classics saved as well. You can move stuff from stick to stick, as with any memory card, but I try to avoid adding and deleting stuff constantly to my main card (demos mainly), as, like a hard drive, it can lead to corruption and the need to reformat more frequently. Grab a 1 or 2 gig card to test demos or downloaded stuff with. That's how I do it, but obviously to each their own...
blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts

[QUOTE="blacktorn"]It's MUCH cheaper to buy a microsd or M2 card plus an adaptor than buying a memory stick duo.As long as you make sure the card you buy is make in either japan or korea then it will be good quality,if you buy one make in china you run the risk of not just counterfiet cards but low performace cards that make everything slower,such as transfering music,movies or games to your stick.The most popular is a dual microsd adapter,i forget the name of it but you can stick two microsd cards into one memory stick duo adapter and i haven't read many complaints about it,of course the best thing is just buy an official memory stick from sony but you have to pay around double for equal storage compared to microsd cards...j2zon2591

How do I know it's made from either JPN or KOR? I think you are talking about the Photofast 5400 Pro Duo Adapter? can use x2 16 GB micro SD for the PSP. There's a lot of complaints about it being so cheaply built but it's pretty tempting. 32 GB for 55 USD? That's just really good. The fail/lemon rate seems high though :(

Well i not sure if it's fails alot but it is popular,you could just go with 1 16gb card and an official adapter by sony or sandisk,as for knowing what make it is it should say on it the country it was made,if u buy it from ebay they should have a pictuer of there card or u can always message them.