Music while on PS3 home screen

This topic is locked from further discussion.

watchcity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 watchcity
Member since 2006 • 585 Posts
Hey, I noticed a few people talking about having music playing while on the PS3 home page.  Do they just mean they put a CD in the PS3 and are listening to music, or is there a way to have music playing in the background while doing stuff like surfing the web and what not without having a CD in the drive?  Can you download songs to the hard drive?  I'm trying to learn the different things I can do with this fantastic system so help a kid out.  Thanks in advance.
Latinoheat47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Latinoheat47
Member since 2006 • 479 Posts
If you have songs on your computer or MP3 player, you could transfer them to the HDD and listen to them while surfing the web.
watchcity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 watchcity
Thanks, how can you transfer them? I have an I-Pod, will this let me transfer songs to the PS3? How else can I transfer songs to the PS3?
Lpsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lpsquall
Member since 2004 • 329 Posts
Yes you could listen to music while browsing the internet and viewing pictures. If you have a music CD in the system or music already saved on the machine, select the song you want to play then press the PS button and it will bring you back to the XMB.
Latinoheat47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Latinoheat47
Thanks, how can you transfer them? I have an I-Pod, will this let me transfer songs to the PS3? How else can I transfer songs to the PS3?watchcity
I'm not sure if you can transfer them directly from the ipod, but try connecting it with a usb cable and see if ithe ps3 recognizes it, if it does, hit traingle and select copy. You can also use a USB flash drive, a memory stick(if you have the 60gb)
steve_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 steve_89
Member since 2006 • 790 Posts
put your music cd into the drive and press triangle on it. then press import cd and the music will be on your harddrive and you can take the cd out and still have all the songs at your disposall. i have my entire cd library on my ps3.
uNiteKpYRo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 uNiteKpYRo
Member since 2005 • 109 Posts
can you play games and listen at the same time, that would be awsome!!!!
Kman1086

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kman1086
Member since 2007 • 470 Posts
could u get radio on there?... i like listening to local sports channlle
watchcity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 watchcity
So i can save songs to a flash drive, plug it into the PS3 (while it's on?), and then just copy songs over? Songs good.
rasstarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rasstarman
Member since 2004 • 852 Posts

If you have songs on your computer or MP3 player, you could transfer them to the HDD and listen to them while surfing the web.Latinoheat47

Why not just stream them from your PC? A lot easier than transferring your music to the console hard drive and franckly a waste of space.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts

[QUOTE="Latinoheat47"]If you have songs on your computer or MP3 player, you could transfer them to the HDD and listen to them while surfing the web.rasstarman

Why not just stream them from your PC? A lot easier than transferring your music to the console hard drive and franckly a waste of space.

The PS3 cannot stream music :(
Latinoheat47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Latinoheat47
[QUOTE="rasstarman"]

[QUOTE="Latinoheat47"]If you have songs on your computer or MP3 player, you could transfer them to the HDD and listen to them while surfing the web.Deihmos

yet..
rasstarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rasstarman
Member since 2004 • 852 Posts
[QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="rasstarman"]

[QUOTE="Latinoheat47"]If you have songs on your computer or MP3 player, you could transfer them to the HDD and listen to them while surfing the web.Latinoheat47

yet..

OMG I did not know that. Simple things like that should have been ready for launch.

ferom9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ferom9
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="Latinoheat47"][QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="rasstarman"]

[QUOTE="Latinoheat47"]If you have songs on your computer or MP3 player, you could transfer them to the HDD and listen to them while surfing the web.rasstarman

yet..

OMG I did not know that. Simple things like that should have been ready for launch.

You could't be more wrong. Check out PS3 Media Center X at http://www.redkawa.com/mediacenters/ps3mediacenterx/
[QUOTE="Latinoheat47"][QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="rasstarman"]

yet..

You couldn't be more wrong. Check out PS3 Media Center X . . . . . http://www.redkawa.com/mediacenters/ps3mediacenterx/
expanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 expanded
Member since 2003 • 8430 Posts
ohh nice thanks
expanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 expanded
Member since 2003 • 8430 Posts
stream doesn't work :( that just disapointed me.. i coulda been playing dota.
Ghardon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Ghardon
Member since 2003 • 310 Posts
For the record, I'm pretty sure anything on an iPod that was ripped with iTunes is going to be DRMed. Even if the system recognizes the music on it (it didn't when I tried, although you can use it as an external USB drive) it won't play.
Jayvan_JJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jayvan_JJ
Member since 2006 • 1044 Posts
stream doesn't work :( that just disapointed me.. i coulda been playing dota.expanded
Streaming works now.
DeathTemplar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DeathTemplar
Member since 2005 • 172 Posts
[QUOTE="rasstarman"]

[QUOTE="Latinoheat47"]If you have songs on your computer or MP3 player, you could transfer them to the HDD and listen to them while surfing the web.Deihmos

yes it can, set up your WMP to share on your local network and set the PS3 as an allowed device and you can play music from your PC, or use winamp and winamp remote, then search for media servers and it will show up in the XBM.
Jayvan_JJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jayvan_JJ
Member since 2006 • 1044 Posts
[QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="rasstarman"]

DeathTemplar

yes it can, set up your WMP to share on your local network and set the PS3 as an allowed device and you can play music from your PC, or use winamp and winamp remote, then search for media servers and it will show up in the XBM.

lol, 2007 post...

Eyad-93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#21 Eyad-93
Member since 2009 • 717 Posts
can you play games and listen at the same time, that would be awsome!!!!uNiteKpYRo
sadly no, but it would be a great idea...
could u get radio on there?... i like listening to local sports channlleKman1086
no.
So i can save songs to a flash drive, plug it into the PS3 (while it's on?), and then just copy songs over? Songs good.watchcity
that's correct...