Mouse and Keyboard on PS3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bigray1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bigray1111
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Hi everyone, I have just got my first PS3 console today, with Killzone 2 in the package. I used to be playing FPS on PC but that is it . Can I use mouse and keyboard on a PS3 console? ( I found a thing called XFPS but not sure that will actually work ) Anyone has any ideas?
-Hoax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 -Hoax-
Member since 2008 • 5331 Posts
You can use a USB Keyboard and Mouse or Bluetooth. But you can't use them to play a game with "Killzone 2" well as far as i know you can't.
Patate-au-four

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Patate-au-four
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
You can use keyboard/mouse on ps3 but most games dont support it (Killzone 2 doesnt for example). The only game I can think of that supports kbm is Unreal Tournament 3. If you really wanna use kbm though you can always buy a FragFx. It works on every games I think
CEOrko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CEOrko
Member since 2006 • 32 Posts
The console itself supports mouse and keyboard input, but developers also have to program their games to use use both devices as well. Most don't. FragFX, XFPS, and both XIMs only remap the normal gamepad controls. The performance of each still more closely resembles a joystick than anything else that might be used through them; only the form of the controller changes. They're not going to offer PC-like control, though a handful of games will play well enough that it mimics natural mouse support well enough. Killzone 2 is not one of these games, so how well any of these adapters work is going to depend on how able you are with a mouse more than anything else. I would suggest a XIM1 for its customization options, but the PC requirement is a bit of an obstacle, and it also does not have SIXAXIS input, so the controller would still be needed to turn valves and the like in singleplayer, the sniper rifle doesn't have user-induced sway, etc. If the XFPS is still just as limited as it was on the Xbox, the FragFX would be the better choice. Full-analog movement and a secondary sensitivity setting easily top the sensitivity knobs and mouse/keyboard choice (which is a double-edged sword, with some mice and keyboards not being compatible) with the XFPS. All of these adapter options are not without cost. The FragFX and XFPS both retail in the $70-$100 range. The XIM1 costs around $30-$45 to build yourself, $65 to buy, and requires a $10-$20 adapter to interface with the console, but that doesn't include the cost of the PC needed to run the translation software (though any PC able to run XP or Vista is going to be able to handle the XIM's software), or the mouse and keyboard used.
G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 G-Legend
Member since 2005 • 7387 Posts

You can use a mouse and keyboard on the console it's actually really handy for text Chat and sending quick messages. I love using my keyboard to type it's way more effective and works well with Home too. As for games you can't use them because the Dev has to impliment the ability. The only game that I'm aware of that uses KB/M is UT3. There's also other alternatives like the FragFX like someone else stated.

joelgargan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 joelgargan
Member since 2008 • 1009 Posts

Yes for browsing the web and anything that requires you to type.

Unfortunately very few games support controls via KB/M.

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
I believe resistance fall of man and UT3 are the only games that support it.
dadou_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dadou_gamer
Member since 2009 • 78 Posts

Most of PS3 games don't match with mouse or keyboard! If you buy a console... Better use the joysticks made for that.. otherwise play on your PC!

Avatar image for b3yondstupidity
b3yondstupidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 b3yondstupidity
Member since 2007 • 12500 Posts
Just play with the dang pad.
macaulus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 macaulus
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
i just bought the XFPS rateup adaptor for Battlefield Bad Company 2, but it doesnt seem to work, has anyone had any luck using this game with the adaptor, is there a patch i can get, or am i going back to the pc fps games, buggered if im going to relearn the controller, seems sooo clumsy compared to keyboard and mouse ?
YoJim8obaJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 YoJim8obaJoe
Member since 2008 • 2653 Posts

you can use the fragfx,works on all games and they say if a game comes out that doesnt work,they release a patch within 48 hours i think it is.

http://shop.lovefilm.com/games/games-accessories/frag-fx-v2-ps3-controller-fragfx/10052533.html?affil=NWI&utm_source=shopping&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=cse_sh_elec&source=googleprod&kw=Frag+FX+v2+PS3+Controller+%28FragFX%29

Avatar image for bobbleheadrogue
bobbleheadrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 bobbleheadrogue
Member since 2009 • 2203 Posts
Hi everyone, I have just got my first PS3 console today, with Killzone 2 in the package. I used to be playing FPS on PC but that is it . Can I use mouse and keyboard on a PS3 console? ( I found a thing called XFPS but not sure that will actually work ) Anyone has any ideas? bigray1111
not on that game....anyways, why would u? dualshock 3 fits into the hand better and has rumble :P