ModNation Racers Reviews

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OrwellJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 OrwellJames
Member since 2008 • 591 Posts

So a lot of the reviews of this game have compared it to Mario Kart, generally unfavorably, and in particular pointing to the actual driving mechanics as what's holding it back. My sense is - and maybe I'm wrong because I'm not generally into racing games - that reviewers may simply be too accustomed to Mario Kart's driving mechanics, which have remained somewhat consistent since the Super Nintendo, and in time they'll look back and realize that, as long as everyone is driving with the same mechanics, selecting tightness of controls/drift/etc are really just arbitrary decisions, and any game that does them differently will take some getting used to.

The "negative" (70 range) reviews seem to hone in on some missing competitive component and, I think, miss the understated joy of this genre - its unpredictability and its enjoyability regardless of skill level. The more often we get hit with explosives and environmental obstacles, the more we laugh. And creating your own tracks to compete with friends just adds a new level of surprise, competition, and strategy. So I'm a little bit disappointed with the reviews, which are more focused on how fast you should be tapping your shoulder button around a bend than on the more imaginative and entertaining aspects of this game.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

So a lot of the reviews of this game have compared it to Mario Kart, generally unfavorably, and in particular pointing to the actual driving mechanics as what's holding it back. My sense is - and maybe I'm wrong because I'm not generally into racing games - that reviewers may simply be too accustomed to Mario Kart's driving mechanics, which have remained somewhat consistent since the Super Nintendo, and in time they'll look back and realize that, as long as everyone is driving with the same mechanics, selecting tightness of controls/drift/etc are really just arbitrary decisions, and any game that does them differently will take some getting used to.

The "negative" (70 range) reviews seem to hone in on some missing competitive component and, I think, miss the understated joy of this genre - its unpredictability and its enjoyability regardless of skill level. The more often we get hit with explosives and environmental obstacles, the more we laugh. And creating your own tracks to compete with friends just adds a new level of surprise, competition, and strategy. So I'm a little bit disappointed with the reviews, which are more focused on how fast you should be tapping your shoulder button around a bend than on the more imaginative and entertaining aspects of this game.

OrwellJames
IDK are we talking about the PSP or PS3 game here? IGN finds the PS3's controls to be quite tight.
OrwellJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 OrwellJames

Talking about PS3.

Actually, that's another point - they are actually quite different games. Makes you wonder why Sony released them at the exact same time.

Tikicobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#4 Tikicobra
Member since 2009 • 2058 Posts
I agree with you, Orwell. The controls are quite different from Mario Kart, but once you get used to them they're actually much more fun and responsive.
Totalgym9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Totalgym9000
Member since 2009 • 1456 Posts
the racing in modnation is a blast, when u get drifting down the game is just so fun! I bought Modnation and RDR on the same day and most of my time has been spent with modnation im luving it.
SaaM-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SaaM-x
Member since 2010 • 437 Posts

ModNation is awesome! The only downside is the loading times. Not a deal breaker though.

ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#7 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

The PSP version reminds me of the horrible Game boy color ports of console games way back when, which is a shame as the PSP is capable of delivering a console experience with a few minor limitations.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I spent the whole morning playing it. The driving mechanics I did get use to but it should be a crime to make people get use to the cars being so slippery. Drifting is actually fun. I got more enjoyment out of pure race than action race. In pure race things are not unfair (except the AI is too perfect) in action race its just too choatic. And my complaint still goes to the sheild and hazard indicator. I've have actually been able to get the timing of some weapons down but you're completely at the mercy of others. I wouldn't care about being completely decimated by missles if I at least kept whatever I had at the time, but you lose everything even if it was level 3. The other problem is if you are behind there is practically no way to win. You need to boost to pass people but then you can't use the sheild.

I was playing on expert the whole time with 12 racers so I guess maybe its all a good thing that its difficult and unforgiving. My first impression of the demo was "meh" but after this morning its more like the games alright, 8.5 from me.

OrwellJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 OrwellJames

I spent the whole morning playing it. The driving mechanics I did get use to but it should be a crime to make people get use to the cars being so slippery. Drifting is actually fun. I got more enjoyment out of pure race than action race. In pure race things are not unfair (except the AI is too perfect) in action race its just too choatic. And my complaint still goes to the sheild and hazard indicator. I've have actually been able to get the timing of some weapons down but you're completely at the mercy of others. I wouldn't care about being completely decimated by missles if I at least kept whatever I had at the time, but you lose everything even if it was level 3. The other problem is if you are behind there is practically no way to win. You need to boost to pass people but then you can't use the sheild.

I was playing on expert the whole time with 12 racers so I guess maybe its all a good thing that its difficult and unforgiving. My first impression of the demo was "meh" but after this morning its more like the games alright, 8.5 from me.

Zidaneski
Slippery? I didn't sense that at all. You're playing on the PS3, right?
Binarynova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Binarynova
Member since 2006 • 373 Posts

The more often we get hit with explosives and environmental obstacles, the more we laugh.OrwellJames

Wow. I wish I could feel this way. I really do. As a long-time lover of kart racing since first playing Super Mario Kart I can say without a doubt that I've never felt that way about weapons in kart racers. I think it comes down to the fact that I hate being interrupted when I'm trying to do something. That's one thing I hate about fighting games, and strategy games. But I digress... To Mario Kart's credit though, at least weapons don't completely knock you out of the race for a good 4-5 secs (closer to 10 if they time the shot to knock you off the track) and eliminate whatever weapon stockpile you've been working on for a whole lap.

I love ModNation Racers, I really do, which is why I'm not going to pull punches. The weapons are too over the top, both visually and practically. The shield mechanic needs work. 50% of the time (not exagerating) my shield is up, the missiles arrive, and I'm still hit. And don't even get me started on the practically unavoidable Level 3 Sonic weapon.

And honestly, I wouldn't complain about the racing system so much except I hate that they borrowed Little Big Planet's "creation tool gathering" methodology. I just want to make a cool F1 kart. Oh? What's that? I have to perfect over half the career mode (I say that since I'm in the 3rd tour and still don't have it) to even get that body style? Why? If they're gonna force you to grind through the story mode to get all the creation tools they could have at least given us different difficulty settings.

*breath in*
Sorry. Rant over.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

[QUOTE="OrwellJames"]The more often we get hit with explosives and environmental obstacles, the more we laugh.Binarynova

I love ModNation Racers, I really do, which is why I'm not going to pull punches. The weapons are too over the top, both visually and practically. The shield mechanic needs work. 50% of the time (not exagerating) my shield is up, the missiles arrive, and I'm still hit. And don't even get me started on the practically unavoidable Level 3 Sonic weapon.

I think thats the only one I am able to block because it passes you and then hits unlike others where they just blast you when they reach you. Funny that thats the only one I can block and I suck at using the sheild.

OrwellJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 OrwellJames
I do agree that it's annoying to be forced to do the single-player campaign thoroughly, although the stuff you unlock is generally frilly and not essential to the game, like it was in LBP (if you wanted to create, that is). ModNation is very much a multiplayer game - far more so than LBP. I think the value proposition is in the variety of tracks you can find in the community, but moreso in building tracks that you can play with your friends to try to one-up them. And if you feel that competitive, you probably shouldn't play racing games. Video games should lower your blood pressure.
muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts
Love the game, haven't played online yet but am looking forward to it.
jerkface96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jerkface96
Member since 2005 • 9189 Posts

I have one gripe and one gripe only. or two lol

1. Most level 3 weapons seem to have auto targeting which is lame.

2. it seems like if youre way ahead all the AI will shoot their Level 3 Auto Targeting Weapons at me.

but thats it , i love the game

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

the game is great (got both versions)... Due to online am spending more time playing the PS3 version however i think the PSP version offers a great experience too...

My personal score for Modnation Racers is 9.3/10 (PS3) & 9.0 (PSP)...

_N_R_G_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 _N_R_G_
Member since 2005 • 273 Posts

I like this game, i think the sonic racers rubbish is more similar to mario kart

KillerWabbit23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 KillerWabbit23
Member since 2009 • 3466 Posts

It's a great game, picked it up on launch day.

The driving isn't just like mario kart, it's different, but that doesn't mean it's bad. It's like a little kid saying something's "r-tarded" if he looses at it.

The load times do suck, yes, but there will be a patch. Still, there's no excuse for that. Excep maybe delays and production cost increases.

And the editors... oh God, yes, the editors. Amazing. In 5 minutes I had created a totally unique mod and kart, and was driving around like it was nobody's business. The track editor... well, you have to put a little more time into it to get something good, but still, after about 30 minutes, I had a great track practically up and running.

(btw it's called "Jungle Run", please play it!)

Mcortijo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mcortijo01
Member since 2003 • 2589 Posts

I just got the game today and haven't had a chance to play it but I played the demo I found the controls to be very responsive.

nelson415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 nelson415
Member since 2007 • 1807 Posts

Love the game, my only complaint is the loading time.

OrwellJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 OrwellJames

I still don't really understand how the loading times were so poor when they were released - particularly if something as simple as a patch can fix them.