Mixed thoughts on Demon's Souls?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

txr302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 txr302
Member since 2006 • 1288 Posts

When I first heard about this game, everyone was talking about it, as it was highly one of the most anticipating games to come out. But now, it's the complete opposite. Anyone care to fill in the blanks? The game recently came out so just curious as to all the mixed thoughts on this game.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
IT was never one of the most anticipated games coming out, no one knew about the game except from word of mouth. I find it the best RPG this gen, a true RPG not this Borderlands/Fallout/Mass effect bull crap.
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

IT was never one of the most anticipated games coming out, no one knew about the game except from word of mouth. I find it the best RPG this gen, a true RPG not this Borderlands/Fallout/Mass effect bull crap.Fightingfan

It actually is way farther away from an RPg than any of those games, I believe you mean it's more of an arcade-style, no mercy game that doesn't go easy on you, like the good old days of gaming. Great game though. Fallout 3 is still better though.

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts
I heard it was a very good game.
ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts
I heard it was a very good game.
LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts
I've played, didn't really like it and couldn't get into it.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

it came out just recently? :shock: can someone tell me what's going on?

txr302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 txr302
[QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]

it came out just recently? :shock: can someone tell me what's going on?

PAL release.
Avatar image for gamemaster56789
gamemaster56789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gamemaster56789
Member since 2009 • 69 Posts

I loved it. Its challenging at first, but once you learn how stuff works its not so tough. Definateley the most rewarding game out there, and when you finally beat that boss thats been destroying you (Flamelurker!) you get a warm fuzzy feeling inside. At $29.99 its a steal. One of the best RPG's ever.

blabbyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blabbyboy
Member since 2008 • 2614 Posts

When I first heard about this game, everyone was talking about it, as it was highly one of the most anticipating games to come out. But now, it's the complete opposite. Anyone care to fill in the blanks? The game recently came out so just curious as to all the mixed thoughts on this game.

txr302
Maybe because it came out in 2009 for NA.
anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]IT was never one of the most anticipated games coming out, no one knew about the game except from word of mouth. I find it the best RPG this gen, a true RPG not this Borderlands/Fallout/Mass effect bull crap.

Dude have you actually played any of those games? While I can't speak for Mass Effect, I know that Fallout 3 is MUCH more of an RPG than Demon's Souls. RPGs are all about building your character and making choices that drastically affect the gameplay/story. This is much more prevalent in Fallout 3 than in Demon's Souls, DS is more like an action/adventure game with RPG elements just like how Borderslands is a FPS with RPG elements. Just because it's your favorite RPG doesn't mean it's the best at utilizing RPG elements.
juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts
Probably my favorite game this generation. Good character customization, you get to pick your sex, look, class, etc. And many ways to play, different weapons/spells etc And the world it takes place is rough and intense, really grusome place full of misery. I love it! =D
solidus909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 solidus909
Member since 2009 • 27 Posts

good game, though one play through was enough for me.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I love the game and have been spending large amounts or time playing it lately.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]IT was never one of the most anticipated games coming out, no one knew about the game except from word of mouth. I find it the best RPG this gen, a true RPG not this Borderlands/Fallout/Mass effect bull crap.anime_gamer007
Dude have you actually played any of those games? While I can't speak for Mass Effect, I know that Fallout 3 is MUCH more of an RPG than Demon's Souls. RPGs are all about building your character and making choices that drastically affect the gameplay/story. This is much more prevalent in Fallout 3 than in Demon's Souls, DS is more like an action/adventure game with RPG elements just like how Borderslands is a FPS with RPG elements. Just because it's your favorite RPG doesn't mean it's the best at utilizing RPG elements.

I didn't discredit Fallout3 being a RPG I just don't consider it an RPG.

Borderlands as well, what makes that an RPG? The leveing up?

Mass effect was just a shooter with option..

parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

Ah like it a lot

ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts

demons souls is awesome! Easily my favorite game this gen

shadow13702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 shadow13702
Member since 2008 • 1791 Posts

I "hard" is it exactly? I read that if you get used to it then it should be easier but how long does it take to get use to? I would proably rage quit b4 i get good at it....

pengo93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pengo93
Member since 2009 • 2005 Posts

Demon's Souls is on my "to buy" list, therefore it will be good.

ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts

I "hard" is it exactly? I read that if you get used to it then it should be easier but how long does it take to get use to? I would proably rage quit b4 i get good at it....

shadow13702

its not that tough

Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

IT was never one of the most anticipated games coming out, no one knew about the game except from word of mouth. I find it the best RPG this gen, a true RPG not this Borderlands/Fallout/Mass effect bull crap.Fightingfan

I actually liked all 3 of those games much more than Demon's Souls.

And I wouldn't consider DS a "true" RPG. In a Role Playing Game you usually playa certain rolein the game, but with DS there's next to no story so you aren't really playing much of a role. At least not one that anybody cares about. Sure you're saving the kingdom from some evil darkness/demon horde, but that's all explained in the first cutscene and after that it never mentions it again.

It's just hard for me to care about anything in Demon's Souls. The only thing I cared about was the time I wasted every single time you die because you have to restart the entire level over again. One tiny mistake could mean you just lost hours of progress. That's not fun.

pengo93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pengo93

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]IT was never one of the most anticipated games coming out, no one knew about the game except from word of mouth. I find it the best RPG this gen, a true RPG not this Borderlands/Fallout/Mass effect bull crap.Ospov

And I wouldn't consider DS a "true" RPG. In a Role Playing Game you usually playa certain rolein the game, but with DS there's next to no story so you aren't really playing much of a role. At least not one that anybody cares about. Sure you're saving the kingdom from some evil darkness/demon horde, but that's all explained in the first cutscene and after that it never mentions it again.

It's just hard for me to care about anything in Demon's Souls. The only thing I cared about was the time I wasted every single time you die because you have to restart the entire level over again. One tiny mistake could mean you just lost hours of progress. That's not fun.

Have you played Aliens vs Predator on nightmare difficulty? If you die you must restart the whole level again; sure it's frustrating as hell but once you finish it all that anger is replaced with joy, pride, some warm fuzzy feeling and compassion for your fellow man. That's why I want Demon'z Soulz.

a_simple_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 a_simple_gamer
Member since 2010 • 1338 Posts

txr302

for me is the best PS3 game by far, i would buy a PS3 just for it

It is not a true RPG like Mass Effect, it is more like FF13, action with stat/power upgrades, only in full 3D and real time and FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR better than FF13

Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ospov

[QUOTE="Ospov"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]IT was never one of the most anticipated games coming out, no one knew about the game except from word of mouth. I find it the best RPG this gen, a true RPG not this Borderlands/Fallout/Mass effect bull crap.pengo93

Have you played Aliens vs Predator on nightmare difficulty? If you die you must restart the whole level again; sure it's frustrating as hell but once you finish it all that anger is replaced with joy, pride, some warm fuzzy feeling and compassion for your fellow man. That's why I want Demon'z Soulz.

Can't say I have. I beat Killzone 2 on Elite though and it doesn't get much harder than that. Yeah I felt good at the end, but looking back all I remember is hating the game for being so hard. I loved Killzone 2 when it came out, but looking back on it I can't really remember the fond feeling I felt for it because the frustration overpowers the warm fuzzy feeling. Maybe that's just me, but I don't know if it was worth it or not.

pengo93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pengo93

[QUOTE="pengo93"]

[QUOTE="Ospov"]

Ospov

Can't say I have. I beat Killzone 2 on Elite though and it doesn't get much harder than that. Yeah I felt good at the end, but looking back all I remember is hating the game for being so hard. I loved Killzone 2 when it came out, but looking back on it I can't really remember the fond feeling I felt for it because the frustration overpowers the warm fuzzy feeling. Maybe that's just me, but I don't know if it was worth it or not.

I guess in a way games are made easier than they once were; those old arcade games mess with your head quite effectively, yet many games these days are quite beatable on any difficulty. I guess Demon's Souls is like a bowl of cement we should eat for breakfast to harden up.

ekultus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ekultus
Member since 2010 • 1013 Posts

just buy it, it is the bomb, ive put in at least 180hrs so far and still play weekly. either you will love it or hate it imo. i loved it while my little brother was ready to bash in the TV with his face lol

the game is just so different and innovative, the atmostphere, the bosses, the super awesome coop/pvp just make it my favorite PS3 game of all time. I honestly cannot think of anything negative about DS. im trying I really am lol... oo yea it should of been longer, not that it is short by any means but I just can't get enough.

Demon's Souls 2 rumors where are you!!!!!!!!!!

TheLordHimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#27 TheLordHimself
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

I got it on the day of the UK release (25th June 2010) and I absolutely LOVE it! It scares me senseless sometimes and has me facepalming at stupid things that I've done... but the atmosphere is fantastic and the game is incredibly addictive. I found myself thinking about it at work, planning my next course of action for when I would get a chance to play it at home.

If it was out in 2009 in the UK, it would have been my GOTY even over the sublime Uncharted 2. So far... it's the best game I've played this year too. It's just awesome. :)

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
[QUOTE="anime_gamer007"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]IT was never one of the most anticipated games coming out, no one knew about the game except from word of mouth. I find it the best RPG this gen, a true RPG not this Borderlands/Fallout/Mass effect bull crap.

Its called an opinion... everyone has one.... Im getting this soon and can't wait. Just because its not a pure 100% pedigree RPG doesn't mean it sucks. That attitude annoys me.
johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
amazing game.
Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

Got it the day it came out and still play regularly with friends. Really good game

parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 parvie

shadow13702
You and many others, my friend.
Botodile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Botodile
Member since 2010 • 432 Posts

I really enjoyed Demon's Souls. I haven't played in awhile, and I feel like I should start playing again.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts
Ah, I hate when people start saying what a RPG really is, this thread is full of it.
solidus909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 solidus909
Member since 2009 • 27 Posts

shadow13702

it doesn't take long to get used to and it really isn't that hard except for a couple bosses(flamelurker & maneater for me). just be cautious and don't let your guard down.

Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ospov

Ah, I hate when people start saying what a RPG really is, this thread is full of it. Kruiz_Bathory

I wasn't saying it wasn't an RPG. I was saying it's hard to care about anything in the game because of the lack of story. The best RPGs of all time have really good stories so it's not like traditional RPGs. That's all I was saying.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts
[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="anime_gamer007"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]IT was never one of the most anticipated games coming out, no one knew about the game except from word of mouth. I find it the best RPG this gen, a true RPG not this Borderlands/Fallout/Mass effect bull crap.

Its called an opinion... everyone has one.... Im getting this soon and can't wait. Just because its not a pure 100% pedigree RPG doesn't mean it sucks. That attitude annoys me.

Please tell me at what point did I say Demon's Souls sucks? Please enlighten me.
txr302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 txr302

[QUOTE="txr302"]

a_simple_gamer

for me is the best PS3 game by far, i would buy a PS3 just for it

It is not a true RPG like Mass Effect, it is more like FF13, action with stat/power upgrades, only in full 3D and real time and FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR better than FF13

On that note, sounds good :) So basically this game really is an JRPG? Or is that going to start another argument :?

MassiveKaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 MassiveKaos
Member since 2006 • 3876 Posts

How hard is this game anyway?? Anyone whos beaten Ninja Gaiden Sigma on the harder difficulties is it a harder game than that?

Also roughly how long does it take to complete your first playthrough doing most sidequests or whatever if theres any and how long did it take to get the platinum does of you who have it. Lastly is there alot of sexual stuff /nudy and strong language in the game?

Want a new ps3 exclusive seems like its going to be this or infamous.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Fightingfan

How hard is this game anyway?? Anyone whos beaten Ninja Gaiden Sigma on the harder difficulties is it a harder game than that?

Also roughly how long does it take to complete your first playthrough doing most sidequests or whatever if theres any and how long did it take to get the platinum does of you who have it. Lastly is there alot of sexual stuff /nudy and strong language in the game?

Want a new ps3 exclusive seems like its going to be this or infamous.

MassiveKaos
Its Mario hard, get hit once and you die.
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#40 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

[QUOTE="anime_gamer007"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]IT was never one of the most anticipated games coming out, no one knew about the game except from word of mouth. I find it the best RPG this gen, a true RPG not this Borderlands/Fallout/Mass effect bull crap.Fightingfan

So what makes Demon's Souls an RPG exactly? Not trying to cause a stir here, but you don't seem to have a definition, other than Demon's Souls is one. Is it the fact that in Demon's Souls you level up? You do that in Fallout 3, and in Mass Effect 1/2. Is it the difficulty? The game is challenging, but hardly unbeatable, and I managed to get through it, so it can't be that tough, considering I'm not the best gamer ever. Is it picking your own weapons/armor? Both Fallout 3 and Mass Effect have those things as well. In fact, in the two latter games, you have MORE options than in Demon's Souls. RPG stands for "Role Playing Game" as in a game that sucks you into the role of the character. Demon's Souls is a wonderfully atmospheric game, but that doesn't make it a better RPG than those with great stories AND good gameplay.
Avatar image for KittensWithBeer
KittensWithBeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KittensWithBeer
Member since 2007 • 782 Posts

I loved Demon's Souls enough to complete 3 playthroughs, and it's easily one of my favorite PS3 games.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Fightingfan
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

[QUOTE="anime_gamer007"] Dude have you actually played any of those games? While I can't speak for Mass Effect, I know that Fallout 3 is MUCH more of an RPG than Demon's Souls. RPGs are all about building your character and making choices that drastically affect the gameplay/story. This is much more prevalent in Fallout 3 than in Demon's Souls, DS is more like an action/adventure game with RPG elements just like how Borderslands is a FPS with RPG elements. Just because it's your favorite RPG doesn't mean it's the best at utilizing RPG elements.Essian

So what makes Demon's Souls an RPG exactly? Not trying to cause a stir here, but you don't seem to have a definition, other than Demon's Souls is one. Is it the fact that in Demon's Souls you level up? You do that in Fallout 3, and in Mass Effect 1/2. Is it the difficulty? The game is challenging, but hardly unbeatable, and I managed to get through it, so it can't be that tough, considering I'm not the best gamer ever. Is it picking your own weapons/armor? Both Fallout 3 and Mass Effect have those things as well. In fact, in the two latter games, you have MORE options than in Demon's Souls. RPG stands for "Role Playing Game" as in a game that sucks you into the role of the character. Demon's Souls is a wonderfully atmospheric game, but that doesn't make it a better RPG than those with great stories AND good gameplay.

This subject is to long to even try to exchange thoughts about without talking in person. When I think of the term RPG I think of Final Fantasy(1-9), Dragon Quest, Zelda (NES/SNES), Secret of mana, Earthbound. When I see Borderlands all I see is a semi-open world game with guns. When I see Fallout3 all I see is an MMORPG without the MMO and the RPG aspects of an MMORPG are not what I get from my games I get. Mass Effect as well I didn't get the same feeling as if I was playing a retro RPG, I felt like I was playing Call of duty with the option to decide what I do/say next. The whole term RPG is vague and can be intercepted different by different people, I asked what makes Borderlands an RPG becauseI found that game rubbish and can't figure out what makes people add it to the RPG genre. Is it the Leveling up system? If that is the sole reason what stops Call of duty from being considered an RPG it has one of the most advance leveling up systems with perks, guns, attachments etc.. Demon's soul made me feel like I was playing an orginal RPG or what I consider a true RPG due to the game not taking things like voice acting, story, multiplayer all these things that games are made up today into as much consideration. Demon's soul was pure plan FUN. As for storytelling and game play being "good" thats all opinionated, I would agree the story was vague but what stops me from saying that? It being an opinion if you read more into the Demon's soul story you would understand it more like the Loading screens, Side quests, listen to the NPCs. I could say SuperMan64 is the best game story wise and gameplay wise no one can say I'm from due to it being an opinion. RPG = Role Playing Game, when some invented the title they didn't think into it enough heck Pac-man is an RPG.
aka_Static

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 aka_Static
Member since 2009 • 415 Posts

It was never highly anticipated and I don't really consider last year recent in terms of gaming.

It still kicks @ss and you should definitely play it.

Definitely my favorite PS3 game. Hands down.

parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 parvie
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

[QUOTE="anime_gamer007"] Dude have you actually played any of those games? While I can't speak for Mass Effect, I know that Fallout 3 is MUCH more of an RPG than Demon's Souls. RPGs are all about building your character and making choices that drastically affect the gameplay/story. This is much more prevalent in Fallout 3 than in Demon's Souls, DS is more like an action/adventure game with RPG elements just like how Borderslands is a FPS with RPG elements. Just because it's your favorite RPG doesn't mean it's the best at utilizing RPG elements.Essian

Demon's Souls has a very great story and background lore, it's just told in a minimalist way-- which I appreciate. Just yesterday I found out that Lord Rydell is sometimes referred to as "Little Allant" which can be interpreted differently by players. That's what I love about this game-- the untold/rich story.
psyko0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 psyko0815
Member since 2010 • 449 Posts

It is not a typical RPG. It's more of a action game with RPG-style leveling.

That being said, get it! The game is addicting as hell.

As for the game being hard, it's not that hard. There are about 18 separate demons in the game. On my first time playing it, only 2 out of the 18 or so demons killed me (Blue Dragon killed me 6 times and Maneater killed me twice). All of the other bosses I beat on my first try. You will die more in the actual level leading up to the boss, but this is because you don't know what to expect around the next corner. Once you get through the level and you know what's coming, the game is a cakewalk.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#46 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

It is not a typical RPG. It's more of a action game with RPG-style leveling.psyko0815
It's called dungeon crawler if you didn't know.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

I bought Demon's Souls the day it got released in the UK and I can confidently say it's my favourite game on PS3 next to MGS4. Gameplay wise it's the most enjoyable game I have played for quite some time, the kinda joy I got from playing classic games that were all about gameplay. Demon's Souls is difficult and at first glance it has quite a few flaws but under the hard exterior there is a soft juicy filling that makes it all worthwhile.

Happy-Screamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 Happy-Screamer
Member since 2007 • 467 Posts

I bought it on European release and I enjoy it but I can't get into it. I haven't played it in a while as it gets a bit boring. The difficulty isn't that hard, I think that is the viewpoint of a casual gamer. There are moments of genuine fear for self preservation when all your in game currency is behind some demon red eyed knight and you have one attempt to retrieve it. Apart from that I don't find how people in love with it, my friend included.

dkjestrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dkjestrup
Member since 2007 • 1214 Posts
I got it June last year. AWESOME game. Only LBP is better this gen.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]IT was never one of the most anticipated games coming out, no one knew about the game except from word of mouth. I find it the best RPG this gen, a true RPG not this Borderlands/Fallout/Mass effect bull crap.StealthMonkey4

It actually is way farther away from an RPg than any of those games, I believe you mean it's more of an arcade-style, no mercy game that doesn't go easy on you, like the good old days of gaming. Great game though. Fallout 3 is still better though.

I would hardly call it arcade-style. When I think "arcade-style", I think hack-n-slash, which Demon's Souls is definitely not. Though no mercy is definitely a correct way to describe it.