Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance officially not canon

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

Kojima just tweeted this out:

One of the reasons changing the title from "Metal Gear Solid Rising" to "Metal Gear Rising" was that I wanted them to create new protagonist Raiden, not SOLID without been haunted by the spin-off.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/em2urf

Not really surprised after I noticed the name change, but now it's official.

I think the story they could of told about Raiden between MGS2 and MGS4 could be epic, but instead we get Vanquish with swords n robots..

Works for me.

volume_three

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 volume_three
Member since 2005 • 2142 Posts

Love the MG Universe, have since Day 1, but Rising to me looks plain ridiculous. I had hope it would play similar to MGS2 but based on the VGA trailer it appears merely like a stealth-free hack 'n' slash aimed at casuals.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
Spin-off doesn't mean non-canon...
anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

Love the MG Universe, have since Day 1, but Rising to me looks plain ridiculous. I had hope it would play similar to MGS2 but based on the VGA trailer it appears merely like a stealth-free hack 'n' slash aimed at casuals.

volume_three

You know, just because they're changing things up doesn't necessarily mean they're aiming for casuals. What in that trailer looked casual to you? It's made by Platinum Games, they don't make blockbuster games. They have their audience and that's it. Bayonetta and Vanquish were not casual games at all.

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

doesn't matter too much to me. never really liked Raiden so his getting relegated to a spin-off franchise is fine by me.

....what does revengeance mean though? :shock:

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
Spin-off doesn't mean non-canon...MAILER_DAEMON
That's what I took from the article as well. Still, I'm excited for this game.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MethodManFTW
Spin-off doesn't mean non-canon...MAILER_DAEMON
Saying new protagonist Raiden is what makes me think it's not canon.

doesn't matter too much to me. never really liked Raiden so his getting relegated to a spin-off franchise is fine by me.

Jinroh_basic
Revenge with a vengeance. From the franchise that brought you transfarring.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Where does it state that it's non canon? Just because it's a spin off doesn't make it non canon (I.E Portable Ops)

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MAILER_DAEMON

New Protagonist? Technically Snake was still the main character of all of MGS2, even though the story focused on Raiden and was told through his eyes. What Kojima's trying to convey is that Raiden doesn't have to be confined to the gameplay style of MGS now; in 2 he had to still play like Snake because it was part of that series, but here, Raiden can be his own cyborg rather than play like Snake with a sword. He's a new protagonist because now it's fully his story, plus he doesn't have to play like a hero from Metal Gear Solid.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MethodManFTW
New Protagonist? Technically Snake was still the main character of all of MGS2, even though the story focused on Raiden and was told through his eyes. What Kojima's trying to convey is that Raiden doesn't have to be confined to the gameplay style of MGS now; in 2 he had to still play like Snake because it was part of that series, but here, Raiden can be his own cyborg rather than play like Snake with a sword.MAILER_DAEMON
That's certainly a way you can interrupt it.
anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

New Protagonist? Technically Snake was still the main character of all of MGS2, even though the story focused on Raiden and was told through his eyes. What Kojima's trying to convey is that Raiden doesn't have to be confined to the gameplay style of MGS now; in 2 he had to still play like Snake because it was part of that series, but here, Raiden can be his own cyborg rather than play like Snake with a sword. He's a new protagonist because now it's fully his story, plus he doesn't have to play like a hero from Metal Gear Solid.

MAILER_DAEMON
I see what you're saying but Raiden was the full blown protagonist of MGS2, there's no question. The story was focused around him and everything. We got to see Snake through another point of view but that doesn't mean he's still the main character. I agree with the gameplay aspect of it though.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MAILER_DAEMON
[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]

anime_gamer007
I see what you're saying but Raiden was the full blown protagonist of MGS2, there's no question. The story was focused around him and everything. We got to see Snake through another point of view but that doesn't mean he's still the main character. I agree with the gameplay aspect of it though.

I'm going off of some early interviews Kojima made in the wake of MGS2's release, where in his mind Snake was still the main character but you got to see him through the eyes of a rookie that saw him as a hero (despite not meeting him until the battlefied). I know the story focused on Raiden, but I'm just trying to show that Kojima may still consider Snake to be the protagonist of each game, even though you only played as him for about a tenth of MGS2. Either way, Snake's story is done, and Raiden is the central character of Metal Gear Rising, which is part of the Metal Gear series but not Metal Gear Solid.
Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]New Protagonist? Technically Snake was still the main character of all of MGS2, even though the story focused on Raiden and was told through his eyes. What Kojima's trying to convey is that Raiden doesn't have to be confined to the gameplay style of MGS now; in 2 he had to still play like Snake because it was part of that series, but here, Raiden can be his own cyborg rather than play like Snake with a sword.MethodManFTW

I think you mean interpret lol
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MethodManFTW
[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"][QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]New Protagonist? Technically Snake was still the main character of all of MGS2, even though the story focused on Raiden and was told through his eyes. What Kojima's trying to convey is that Raiden doesn't have to be confined to the gameplay style of MGS now; in 2 he had to still play like Snake because it was part of that series, but here, Raiden can be his own cyborg rather than play like Snake with a sword.Texas2089

I think you mean interpret lol

Haha, yeah, that too. :P X.x I'm watching a stream... Lulz
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]Spin-off doesn't mean non-canon...MethodManFTW

Jinroh_basic

ok... sounds like a massive double whammy to me. can't wait to find out more.

WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts

I still find this very weird since Kojima originally stated that "Solid" meant that Metal Gear is in 3D. All of a sudden that statement just went out the window with this tweet. It just doesn't make sense.

WhiteStormy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WhiteStormy
Member since 2007 • 243 Posts

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]Spin-off doesn't mean non-canon...MethodManFTW

Jinroh_basic

Saying Raiden is the new protagonists doesn't make it non-canon. It just means he's the game's hero, not Snake.

ipumpmygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ipumpmygun
Member since 2007 • 456 Posts

Just like how the God of War series is big enough for different time periods with different people, so to can be MG series. Konami should look into more games starring Akiba and Meryl. I mean like come on. I'm pretty sure we've had enough Solid Snake.

jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts
I would love to see a remake of the first two (not Snake's Revenge mind you). There should be a new protagonist...kind of like how Beowulf was killed by the dragon, but a new hero arose out of that (or in some versions of the stories go).
ipumpmygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ipumpmygun
Member since 2007 • 456 Posts

I would love to see a remake of the first two (not Snake's Revenge mind you). There should be a new protagonist...kind of like how Beowulf was killed by the dragon, but a new hero arose out of that (or in some versions of the stories go).jordonj

Maybe Raiden is the new direction they're going with?

ShinobiKaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ShinobiKaze
Member since 2003 • 95 Posts

Hola.

Idk, i'm pretty interested in this game. MGS1 got me into gaming and because of that first experience with Snake I was able to obtain a pretty expensive hobby for 13 years. When I saw the trailer for this I was a little confused because of expectation but watching the trailer over and over. I'm pumped for this game. I've been reading the comments for this game and I see a lot of hate which is understandable. I loved Vanquish and Bayonetta but I also have a diverse taste in gaming compared, from what I'm reading, to a lot of the MGS fans out there.

My question is does anyone feel like Raiden becoming a Hack N' Slash character doesn't make any sense? When I started to think about it it makes a lot of sense to me. In MGS4 I don't recall him sneaking, I recall him breaking dancing with multiple Gecko's. Not sneaking around them. I also saw him hold a sword in his mouth with no arms and take on a platoon of ninja's, not throwing chaff grenades and rolling behind cover. When Raiden became a cyborg ninja he obviously lost that stealth mentality so the more and more I see the trailer to this game, it is consistent with the image of Raiden from MGS4 that Kojima created.

On a side note, him doing a suplex to a Metal Gear Ray was pretty over the top, yet I can't wait to press "square" over and over and recreate that.

ShinobiKaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ShinobiKaze
Member since 2003 • 95 Posts

Also forgot to add a pretty unbelieveable over the top crap he did in MGS 4. Slamming his sword threw his foot to hold MG Ray from killing Snake, also one of the coolest **** i've seen in gaming.

josh494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#25 josh494
Member since 2008 • 841 Posts
I'm excited for the gameplay... I'm very scared to see how they're going to mess up MGS.